What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Garcon, quietly on pace for over 115 receptions 1350 yards (1 Viewer)

Heavy targets was suuposedly the plan for him coming into the season. That's why I kind of reached for him, even in in terms f my league where WRs for early & often. Nice schedule too (too bad he can't play against his own defense), other than tough'ish potential individual matchups week 7 (vs. Bears/Tillman?) & week 8 (@ Broncos/Champ?).

Sure. Horrendous defense that puts them behind the whole game, good qb and no other good targets equals fantasy gold.

Yeah, he's a WR1 in PPR leagues where he was either drafted as a WR2/3. I think he can maintain this pace over the course of the year as long as the defense stays terrible and RG3 upright.

Considering RGIII is having a bad year, perhaps his numbers can improve if RGIII gets on track? :coffee:

From what I remember, the big concern regarding Garcon was his foot (tore ligaments last year which ruined his season). He opted to avoid surgery because surgery wasn't guaranteed to fix the issue and could potentially only worsen his foot. He now wears a special shoe to help with the pain. It obviously doesn't seem to be affecting him much, but can he last 16 games?

FWIW, I traded Ben Tate for him after week 1, and I'm now looking to flip him in a package for Victor Cruz. He has 44 targets this season (I think that's top 5 among WRs, or at least very close) and will continue to get a ton of targets, but will his foot start acting up?

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I remember, the big concern regarding Garcon was his foot (tore ligaments last year which ruined his season). He opted to avoid surgery because surgery wasn't guaranteed to fix the issue and could potentially only worsen his foot. He now wears a special shoe to help with the pain. It obviously doesn't seem to be affecting him much, but can he last 16 games?

FWIW, I traded Ben Tate for him after week 1, and I'm now looking to flip him in a package for Victor Cruz. He has 44 targets this season (I think that's top 5 among WRs, or at least very close) and will continue to get a ton of targets, but will his foot start acting up?
Yeah that's the ONLY reason I didn't target him in drafts this year, concerns that he won't last the season. But if I had him, I'd consider moving him if you can get anything of equal/better value.

I wasn't targeting him but I have him on every team this year bc he kept falling in drafts and the upside was too much to pass on. I've brought him up in a few trade talks and no one has noticed or cares how well he's doing. He's worth more on my team putting up great points than the non-fair value I could get for him in a trade. Just enjoying the wr1 points from my wr2 slot.

I wasn't targeting him but I have him on every team this year bc he kept falling in drafts and the upside was too much to pass on. I've brought him up in a few trade talks and no one has noticed or cares how well he's doing. He's worth more on my team putting up great points than the non-fair value I could get for him in a trade. Just enjoying the wr1 points from my wr2 slot.
Garcon is one of several guys I targed in every draft (Graham, Gordon, and Cameron were the others) and I've been very happy with him.

He actually finished up last year on a high note but seems like his foot and RGIII's situation scared people away.

My only concerns are 1) his foot and 2) yesterday I read he's taking a lot of hits as he makes nice catches up the middle, etc. I wish I could remember where I read that so I could link to it. Anyone else see that?

Even so, I don't think I can move him because, just like with Cameron, people aren't that interested or won't pay something worthwhile. D. Wilson for Garcon? I think not!

I drafted him in the 6th round as my wr3.... He is my wr1 with Desean, roddy,shorts my other 3..... Im very happy with him, one of my few bright spots on a dull team..

This has been and will be my only question about Garcon. He could have a 100 catch season if he stays healthy.

would you guys trade garcon/powell for sproles/amendola?

still have dez, gordon, and vjax at WR. tough to let go of a guy like garcon but could spare him with my WR depth

would you guys trade garcon/powell for sproles/amendola?

still have dez, gordon, and vjax at WR. tough to let go of a guy like garcon but could spare him with my WR depth
Is this PPR? Amendola has plenty of upside, but some dudes are just born brittle...you're plenty deep at WR tho

This has been and will be my only question about Garcon. He could have a 100 catch season if he stays healthy.
FWIW, in early September Garcon declared himself "100% healthy" ... obviously we have to discount that vote of faith, but given his performance it seems true, no? I tried to google for any news articles mentioning Garcon and his foot, but came up blank. It's not a discussion topic among Redskins fans? He's healthy?

The reason why it has not been a discussion topic among Redskins fans and you can't find any articles is that he has been fully healthy since the first week or so of training camp (early August). Fantasy sites did not pick up on this, as they are usually horrible at disseminating local news. His foot injury has not flared up or bothered him in any way. I listen to Redskins talk radio on my commute everyday, and the last discussion on that foot injury I can remember is from August. It is simply a non factor. What may affect his value is the development of other WR targets. We haven't really had other WRs step up and consistently make plays, so extra coverage gets rotated to Garcon. The good thing (fantasy-wise) is that RGIII has shown that he will target Garcon regardless, and trusts him to make tough grabs and big plays. He is pretty much always the first read.

jah77 said:
Sure. Horrendous defense that puts them behind the whole game, good qb and no other good targets equals fantasy gold.
That brings up a good question.

How much has come in "garbage time" of bad games?

Is he mainly benefiting because they are playing behind, or would he still be getting such a consistent amount of targets and catches anyway?
He's option 1 by a long shot in their passing game. He gets targets regardless of the situation. He's safe in that regard

Garcon is one of several guys I targed in every draft (Graham, Gordon, and Cameron were the others) and I've been very happy with him.

He actually finished up last year on a high note but seems like his foot and RGIII's situation scared people away.

My only concerns are 1) his foot and 2) yesterday I read he's taking a lot of hits as he makes nice catches up the middle, etc. I wish I could remember where I read that so I could link to it. Anyone else see that?

Even so, I don't think I can move him because, just like with Cameron, people aren't that interested or won't pay something worthwhile. D. Wilson for Garcon? I think not!
They use him in WR screens a lot. He's also a beast in open field so he ends up taking some shots as there's always a few plays a game where he breaks some tackles and gets hit. He doesn't shy from it like some WRs so there is some legit concern about potential hits IMO

Have him as my WR3 (start 3 WR/TE and no flex) and couldn't be more pleased. He fell a little in our draft, due to the foot and missing games last year and I was happy to take him. Barring injury, I don't think there's any doubt he's a TOP 10 WR at the end of the year...great value where he was taken. Assuming your early round picks hold their weight, getting players like Garcon that out play their ADP are what puts teams over the hump for fantasy championships.

His numbers are heavily influenced by garbage time. A quarterback has never had such a vast % of his stats come in garbage time as RG3 has this year. I would not be extrapolating numbers from those first 4 games.

There was no garbage time vs the Lions (8 rec for 73 yards on 13 targets) or the Raiders (6 for 59 yds 1 TD on 7 targets). Regardless, do you think the Skins are not going to ever be in a trailing situation again this season? They have a terrible defense and face some good offenses still (Cowboys, Eagles, Broncos, Falcons) and games they will likely be trailing (49ers, Chiefs) and games that can be shoot outs against questionable Ds (Giants, Chargers, Minnesota). I see a lot more going for Garcon than going against him.

There was no garbage time vs the Lions (8 rec for 73 yards on 13 targets) or the Raiders (6 for 59 yds 1 TD on 7 targets). Regardless, do you think the Skins are not going to ever be in a trailing situation again this season? They have a terrible defense and face some good offenses still (Cowboys, Eagles, Broncos, Falcons) and games they will likely be trailing (49ers, Chiefs) and games that can be shoot outs against questionable Ds (Giants, Chargers, Minnesota). I see a lot more going for Garcon than going against him.
Also when they score and get a lead it will often be by using him. He's their #1 receiving target with a qb that can pass the ball. He's gonna score in either scenario.

Can he maintain this pace?
Not at this rate. This week was a HUGE disappointment. :topcat:
Well, it was a disappointment from the perspective of how little Garcon contributed toward Washington's offensive explosion.

His stat line wasn't much different than previous weeks, though he did set his season low for receptions and now is on a two-game TD drought:

Code:
 WK	 OPP	REC	YDS	TD	PTS1	Phi	7	64	0	132	@GB	8	143	1	293	Det	8	73	0	164	@Oak	6	59	1	175	BYE	-	-	-	-6	@Dal	6	69	0	127	Chi	5	58	0	10

Can he maintain this pace?
Not at this rate. This week was a HUGE disappointment. :topcat:
Well, it was a disappointment from the perspective of how little Garcon contributed toward Washington's offensive explosion.

His stat line wasn't much different than previous weeks, though he did set his season low for receptions and now is on a two-game TD drought:

WK OPP REC YDS TD PTS1 Phi 7 64 0 132 @GB 8 143 1 293 Det 8 73 0 164 @Oak 6 59 1 175 BYE - - - -6 @Dal 6 69 0 127 Chi 5 58 0 10
I think Reed's emergence and RG3 starting to run again will actually open it up for Garcon. If anything, he's a player worth targeting right now.

I have invested heavily in him the last few weeks. Things are changing I. Washington from the aspect of rg iii's health and the emergence of another legit target in the middle to help draw coverage in and allow garçon to do what he does best.

I don't know if that translates to ppr nirvana in terms of targets and catches but I bet we are going to start seeing some 7/140/2 type of stat lines pretty soon and pretty often and those are the types of players that win fantasy leagues in the playoffs.

I have invested heavily in him the last few weeks. Things are changing I. Washington from the aspect of rg iii's health and the emergence of another legit target in the middle to help draw coverage in and allow garçon to do what he does best.

I don't know if that translates to ppr nirvana in terms of targets and catches but I bet we are going to start seeing some 7/140/2 type of stat lines pretty soon and pretty often and those are the types of players that win fantasy leagues in the playoffs.
Just traded Jordan Cameron for him straight up. I agree with you and hope your right and as an RG3 owner, I'm all in and doubling down.

Quietly on pace for mediocrity. The targets are nice & all, but worthless unless he starts catching them.
Besides the 49ers and Chiefs the rest of his schedule is a cake walk. He does have to start catching the ball better but he'll get plenty of opportunity for a big 2nd half.

With the Falcons and Cowboys weeks 15 and 16 I think he wins owners a lot of championships this year.

With the Falcons and Cowboys weeks 15 and 16 I think he wins owners a lot of championships this year.
Yep. That's the kind of schedule that looks very appealing, especially that cowboys game when you know that even if there is nothing to play for, washington will go full out (they seem to play up big games when these two meet)

7-100-1 td tomorrow would be Great guys.
That's quite a bit above his average, yard wise. RGIII will probably be hitting Reed and Helu too plus a bit of Hankerson, etc.

I'm thinking more along his previous games: 6-70-0.50

7-100-1 td tomorrow would be Great guys.
That's quite a bit above his average, yard wise. RGIII will probably be hitting Reed and Helu too plus a bit of Hankerson, etc.

I'm thinking more along his previous games: 6-70-0.50
Im expecting more than 13 in ppr.. he should be getting at least 20 right now he's got the talent.
He's broken 20 in ppr only once so far. See my post above in this thread: http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=693763&p=16101328

Some of the luster is off, but I agree. I've been starting him all along due to necessity, but he definitely is not for sale now that Griffin seems to be getting back up to speed.

Another mehhh game. His drops + RG3's inaccuracy i snot a great combo.. And Reed isn't drawing away coverage. He's merely taking receiving production.

Another mehhh game. His drops + RG3's inaccuracy i snot a great combo.. And Reed isn't drawing away coverage. He's merely taking receiving production.
He was productive. Not like we want but at least he gets you a solid ten or so each week with a lot more upside.

Their opponent will dictate the reed/ garçon coverage. Their will be games where the matchup isn't available to keep him from having big big games.

Users who are viewing this thread