What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gave up too early thread (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
I'm noticing a trend with QBs that's now gone onto other positions.
A player usually had a few years to develop, but now it's like meh I've seen enough.

Pickett had what a season plus of starts? Ridder had barely more than one season of starts. OConnell didn't even get 17 starts. Howell....on and on. I can blow off the QBs as no one wants the next Rosen or Grossman so it's proactive.

Mingo went from a freak that's going to be great to- the Panthers should draft a replacement. I think that would be premature.
Cedric Tillman seems to already be counted out.
Conversely, I think the Titans gave Treylon enough chances.

Tell me some more non QBs that teams may move on from or replace as a starter too quickly please

Everything is just talk and rumor in April but whatcha got?

Last edited:
Moving on quickly from QB's who don't look up to it makes sense to me. It filters into every aspect of your offensive play if the QB isn't good enough, even really good players are affected to some degree by poor QB's so allowing them to tank your offense for longer than you need to in the hope they improve is often wasting everyone's time. Ridder and Pickett have been abominably bad, even by rookie/second year player standards. There is no reason to give them more game time, especially when jobs are on the line.

Mingo didn't look like much last year, but drafting another WR isn't replacing him per se. He still has the chance to develop even if they draft another player at his position and it will probably help his development and production to have more competent receivers around him. Outside of QB, players can be rotated in and out to get experience and to test whether they are up to it without necessarily tanking your team if they are not.

I think it's actually good practice to cut your losses as early as possible and be decisive in evaluating your players. So many players are just not up to it. It's probably safe to assume you are right in most instances and there's more to be lost with indecision than wrong decision most of the time.

Sorry, I can't name any players specifically but it's an interesting topic.

Mingo went from a freak that's going to be great to- the Panthers should draft a replacement. I think that would be premature.
I think Mingo and everyone's favorite whipping boy Quentin Johnson are good examples of perhaps preliminary replacement. Both teams have different coaching regimes from the ones that drafted them though, so I guess it's a different situation than incumbent staffs.

I'll also add Roschon Johnson and, to a lesser extent, Khalil Herbert.

Neither guy particularly flashed last year and lost a lot of touches to Freeman (also due to injuries), but both had their moments and could still make a decent 1-2 punch. I get the need to build around Caleb and they had the cap space, but is Swift really that much of an upgrade, if at all, to those guys?

I'll also add Roschon Johnson and, to a lesser extent, Khalil Herbert.

Neither guy particularly flashed last year and lost a lot of touches to Freeman (also due to injuries), but both had their moments and could still make a decent 1-2 punch. I get the need to build around Caleb and they had the cap space, but is Swift really that much of an upgrade, if at all, to those guys?
I'd very much argue Khalil Herbert is better than Swift, and one of the 10 best runners in the NFL. He's completely useless in the passing game, but he's a really good runner. I wouldn't be shocked if Swift ended up in a role more like his role in Detroit than in Philly next season.

A RB I'm surprised by how quickly his team gave up on him, is Dameon Pierce. I know he was slow to pick up the new offense, but man, he went from next big thing at RB, to can he even be the #2 real quick.

While I liked the Ekeler signing, I think Brian Robinson is a good RB, who Washington just seemed to stop using at random. Why they decided to be the most pass heavy team in the NFL with a 1st year starting QB, and a below average OL is a mystery that can only be answered as the best reason why Eric Bienemy should never be a HC.

A player usually had a few years to develop, but now it's like meh I've seen enough.

Pickett had what a season plus of starts? Ridder had barely more than one season of starts. OConnell didn't even get 17 starts. Howell....on and on. I can blow off the QBs as no one wants the next Rosen or Grossman so it's proactive.

Tell me some more non QBs that teams may move on from or replace as a starter too quickly please

I don't like the whole trend of moving on from young QBs so quickly. Personally, I've always hated the logic, "oh it'll split the locker room if the former starter is still around" I think that's a lame reason to dump a guy, especially with how costly backup QBs are. I think Philly and Seattle made great moves getting Pickett and Howell for peanuts.

Fields was really the one that shocked me how little he went for, and why the Bears would even dump him. His rushing alone is worth more than what he went for, and he's improved as a passer.

I'm not predicting anything, but I recall when it was 3 years before you really knew what you had, especially at WR. With that in mind, I think it'd be pretty funny, if someone like Skyy Moore broke out in KC this year, or perhaps a more likely candidate Jameson Williams.

May be too early to tell- Zamir White. Dropped him after 4 games last year.
He got picked up for 7 games, dropped, then picked up again by a third owner.

I think Mingo and everyone's favorite whipping boy Quentin Johnson are good examples of perhaps preliminary replacement. Both teams have different coaching regimes from the ones that drafted them though, so I guess it's a different situation than incumbent staffs.
With Allen and Williams gone, Johnson seems set up well. No?

@travdogg Skyy Moore and Justyn Ross didn't do much and when people talk of them drafting a WR I think two things-
Moving on too quickly and then we'll wait a sec, why are you confident that some drafted WR will pan out there after those two?
I have a real disconnect when people explain their reasoning for them drafting a WR so confidently

@travdogg Skyy Moore and Justyn Ross didn't do much and when people talk of them drafting a WR I think two things-
Moving on too quickly and then we'll wait a sec, why are you confident that some drafted WR will pan out there after those two?
I have a real disconnect when people explain their reasoning for them drafting a WR so confidently
@travdogg Pierce is a good one too
Ross doesn't really surprise me, as he'd suffered career threatening injury and was kinda coasting on 1 great year 4 years earlier.

Pierce really gets me, because he was really good in the NFL, as a rookie. Like its one thing to give up on a prospect who do anything, but Pierce was a rookie of the year candidate in 2022, and then he's playing behind Singletary, and sometimes even Ogunbowale. Hell, I spotted Pierce on the kick coverage team late in the season.

Reactions: Bri
With Allen and Williams gone, Johnson seems set up well. No?
I am assuming that the Chargers take Harrison or Nabors.

@travdogg Pierce is a good one too
Ross doesn't really surprise me, as he'd suffered career threatening injury and was kinda coasting on 1 great year 4 years earlier.

Pierce really gets me, because he was really good in the NFL, as a rookie. Like its one thing to give up on a prospect who do anything, but Pierce was a rookie of the year candidate in 2022, and then he's playing behind Singletary, and sometimes even Ogunbowale. Hell, I spotted Pierce on the kick coverage team late in the season.
Absolutely weird.
If I were a GM I'd call and see what they wanted for Pierce and Browns for Tillman. With bottomed out value, it's likely a deal I'd do too.
Depending on needs that might be two less positions to draft too

The Bucs gave up on Steve Young after just 19 starts over two seasons in which they were 2-14 both years, and in the midst of a 12 year streak of 10+ losses per season. Sure, he had just 11 touchdowns against 21 interceptions, but they had no patience with him. After sitting behind Joe Montana for three years, Young went on to win three superbowls, 2 NFL MVP awards, 3x first team all-pro, had his number retired and was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

The Bucs gave up on Steve Young after just 19 starts over two seasons in which they were 2-14 both years, and in the midst of a 12 year streak of 10+ losses per season. Sure, he had just 11 touchdowns against 21 interceptions, but they had no patience with him. After sitting behind Joe Montana for three years, Young went on to win three superbowls, 2 NFL MVP awards, 3x first team all-pro, had his number retired and was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.
Young was backing up Joe Montana on two of those Superbowls.

I think people have written off Dotson too soon as well. Yes his numbers were awful last year but that was 99% EB's awful play calling. I got him in the late 12th round of a SF startup a few months ago, thought that was a steal. Jameson Williamson went in the 10th round by comparison, and Dotson showed a lot more his rookie year than Williamson has so far.

Part of the reason why I gravitate towards RBs in rookie drafts was the belief that if they're going to matter, they're going to force their way on to the field in their rookie season with some kind of role. If they're going to matter, they're then going to show you something in that role to get you excited. If they do that, wheels up. They're as good as gold until they either sustain a serious injury or hit their age cliff. If they don't do it by the end of their rookie year, then you can safely reclaim the roster spot for the next class of rookies.

I'm definitely going to have to move off of that mindset. Zamir White gets no run his rookie year. Doesn't do much with what limited carries he gets. Hear nothing from Raiders beat writers that would make you keep the faith on a guy with limited draft capital. Finally give up early in his second season (happily traded him for a 3rd rnd pick), now he has value. Was never in on Kyren Williams (scared away by all the draftniks). Very similar rookie year as White. Nothing to see here vibe, until he ascends to "league winner" levels of production in year 2. Paid up for Zak Moss early in his rookie year (thanks for all the hype Paul Charchian). Completely useless fantasy player. Easy drop. Suddenly has value.

On the flip side, Dameon Pierce looked like a locked and loaded talent off a strong rookie campaign. Just a matter of whether the Texans can get anything from a questionable rookie qb. AJ Dillon was always polarizing, but made his splash at the end of his rookie year. Dynasty value skyrocketed. Hasn't done anything but clog my roster since. Khalil Herbert gets his opportunity in his rookie year. Looks like the next man up after Montgomery. The Bears RB to have, even if it's part of a committee. I'm still too intrigued to cut bait, but like Dillon he's providing neither ceiling nor floor as a depth RB.

Tight end from last year? Likely. Given the position, I knew better. Just a matter of really needing the roster spot. Someone dropped Mayer and I deemed it a mandatory scoop. Harbaugh seemed to be scaling back his offensive opportunities early in the season as the second TE. Took that as my sign that I could probably move off a 4th round TE with some fantasy upside, but a guy that would ultimately be stuck behind Andrews for years. That might still prove to be a huge obstacle, but of course Andrews goes down after I make that cut. Of course Likely takes full advantage in his absence.

Happened to me with Boye Mafe. Someone else drafted him high, then cut him a few games into the season. I picked him up cheap on waivers, but then traded him away in the off-season for a low draft pick. Not sure why they cut him after drafting him, but I discarded him not expecting much either. Last year he ranked #20 in DE scoring. Ugh...

I'd very much argue Khalil Herbert is better than Swift, and one of the 10 best runners in the NFL. He's completely useless in the passing game, but he's a really good runner. I wouldn't be shocked if Swift ended up in a role more like his role in Detroit than in Philly next season.
I totally agree. Herbert is very good at what he does. He is perfect for the Bears and I believe the Swift signing was more of an indictment on Roschon at this point. Now the Bears FO hasn't shown to be very good in decision making so this could be way off and these three just flounder as they aren't used properly moving forward. If it was me Herbert would be the guy (and I don't think he is useless in the passing game but not nearly as good as the other two guys) and the other two guys 3rd down guys for the most part. Just very odd how the Bears have handled this situation.

Tillman was a 3rd round pick who had 1 productive season of 5 college seasons. That was a less a give up too early and more of a never should have bought in either. Mingo was never a very good prospect. Certainly not a freak.

Tillman was a 3rd round pick who had 1 productive season of 5 college seasons. That was a less a give up too early and more of a never should have bought in either. Mingo was never a very good prospect. Certainly not a freak.
My initial reaction is you appear bitter.

What is there to be bitter about??

Idk if you drafted them or...idk.
You're well aware I can post links to last year's positive draft stuff and it just seems bitter

Idk if you drafted them or...idk.
You're well aware I can post links to last year's positive draft stuff and it just seems bitter
I definitely wanted to avoid them both in dynasty. They weren’t good prospects.

I dropped Tom Brady during his first five games. And Antonio Gates late in his first season - had the opportunity to draft him but took Michael Turner instead. :bag:

All TE premium leagues.

Drafted Kelce in round 3 in an odd draft year where he went as high as 11 in other drafts. He had the season ending knee injury and I put him on IR, ran out of IR room later and figured if he was just a third round pick when healthy surely he won't be that much to redraft coming off a severe injury. So I cut him, someone scooped him and held.

Held Nico Colllins through his entire rookie year and off-season before year two. Then cut him in both leagues I had him in his year two.

Cut Lamar in a one QB league.

Had several Edelman cuts early in his career, was not seeing enough upside.

Drafted Kittle in round 5. I was going to cut him before week one but got a trade instead for another 49'er rookie, Joe Williams. So not quite a cut, but was going to be, and relative to what I got back would have been better cutting.

***Bonus of two boomerang players I gave up on to soon but got back. Cut Evan Engram in a TEP league the off-season he signed with the Jags. Tried to trade him, no one would give me anything and just could not keep him. Redrafted him at 3.8. Cut Lamar Jackson a few weeks into his rookie season in another league then one I mentioned before, bought him back two weeks later for a few bucks***

Users who are viewing this thread