What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

General Malaise "vs." reading comprehension ; also some talk of skyim and the elder scrolls (1 Viewer)

Speaking of the DB, I still have yet to be visited by them and I've hardly been a choir boy. How many innocent people do I have to take out before they contact me?

Would it go quicker if I became a werewolf and just started chowing on people?
Do the quest in Windhelm involving Aventus Aretino. After that, sleep in a bed you own.

FWIW, I didn't pick any "class" or whatever. I chose the Lizard race guy bc he looked cool, can breathe underwater, and has a natural 50% resistance to disease. But my guy uses magic, archery, and two-handed weaponry, because I find those the most fun/effective. Usually I start with one of the first two, and if the punk survives, I fall back on either my great sword or war hammer, which provide satisfying crunches and cinematic kills.

I usually sneak around a lot, so that's quite high, though I've never tried the sneak and backstab approach. I use sneak for archery attacks that somehow go unnoticed by others, even as I'm dropping bodies all over the dungeon floor. Actually once in a while for fun I try to sneak up with my war hammer. When it works it's wonderous.

Thanks guys. I used a combo of everything listed here. I ran all the way to the back of the star and hid behind the big column. I summoned my frost and flame antiochs and they softened them up. Malyn was a cinch once his flunkies were out of the way. Only 2 problems. 1) I was only able to pick up one heart as I got pulled out too early to get other two and 2) I may not have saved it. I was already 15 minutes after my wife called me up for dinner and I just shut the machine off. Not sure if there was an autosave or not

Freeze Shout:I've got first level breath of frost and it doesn't freeze these guys or even slow them downPotions:Using all I have every time and still getting worked.Ironflesh: Have stoneflesh and tried that and it did not do squat.Thanks for all the help, going to keep trying. Maybe leave room after I have killed the first two?
Breath of Frost is a different shout. Ice Form is the one that freezes.
Not sure which shout I have - one of those ice/frost ones. Used it on an attacking frost-gorilla-thing and he just stopped, turned and walked a bit and sat down. So I shot an arrow at him. Nothing, no response - but his health drops a tiny bit. Arrow after arrow he just sits there looking dejected. Kinda sorry to kill him.

Yeah, try Mistwatch.
My favorite location so far.I've started out for Riftin at least a half dozen times and every time I get sidetracked and loaded up with loot and back to Whiterun I go. Starting the Companion quest line tonight so I may never get that rare gem looked at by a Riftin jeweler.I can already tell my next playthrough will be a pure mage - excuse me, a jedi.

Finding myself getting bored with this game now... ~40 hours in. Done the Dark Brotherhood quests, Done the Mages Guild stuff, walked all over the place and back, etc... Nearing completion of the main quest as well. I think it's a fun game and all and I'll never complain about 40 hours of entertainment from a game, but it's feeling like a chore now. I never walk anywhere, just get my location and fast travel. It seems like everything is feeling a little formulaic now after 60+ quests completed and I'm just kinda done with it.
I can see this. I guess that is why some people try different characters.

Finding myself getting bored with this game now... ~40 hours in. Done the Dark Brotherhood quests, Done the Mages Guild stuff, walked all over the place and back, etc... Nearing completion of the main quest as well. I think it's a fun game and all and I'll never complain about 40 hours of entertainment from a game, but it's feeling like a chore now. I never walk anywhere, just get my location and fast travel. It seems like everything is feeling a little formulaic now after 60+ quests completed and I'm just kinda done with it.
The key is to stop map jumping as much. Every now and then you need to walk (or ride) the earth. It makes the game 100% fun again.

Enjoying playing a NON hoarder. Sell my loot, buy stuff, get training, spend my gold back down to near zero.

Makes small finds of gold worthwhile - wood chopping is still fun/profitable, etc.

Gonna see how long I can go without a house.

Huh - I guess the game is getting itself tougher. I'm at Faldar's Tooth and simply cannot complete it. These guys are one and two shot killing me. Full health to nothing with one arrow shot. Jeez.

'Sand said:
Huh - I guess the game is getting itself tougher. I'm at Faldar's Tooth and simply cannot complete it. These guys are one and two shot killing me. Full health to nothing with one arrow shot. Jeez.
Is your armor on? I was running around naked yesterday and didn't know until someone told me I might want to put some clothes on. :o

Last night I put the controller down, voluntarily, at 10pm and read in bed before going to sleep.

I'm on the path to recovery, my brothers.

'Sand said:
Is your armor on? I was running around naked yesterday and didn't know until someone told me I might want to put some clothes on. :o
Armor makes a huge difference. My character is virtually indestructable with high level dragonplate armor, but if I carelessly swap it out (e.g., during some of the thieves guild missions) I go right back to getting 1 shot killed.

'Sand said:
Armor makes a huge difference. My character is virtually indestructable with high level dragonplate armor, but if I carelessly swap it out (e.g., during some of the thieves guild missions) I go right back to getting 1 shot killed.
Any idea what your armor rating is? I think I'm at 221 with the nightengale armor after a bit of smithing (and my perks). Sometimes I go arch mage robes though and that's a 57.

Anyone know a good place to harvest some ebony ore/ingots?
There's an orc village slightly South East of Windhelm that has a non-monster inhabited ebony mine, a smelter and a black smith. You can walk out of there with a few dozen ebony ingots.
:thumbup: Thanks Drift, will check on it tonight when I get back from work.
Have to give a :goodposting: to Drifter here.Went to the Gloombound Mine and wound up with 30 Ebony Ingots!!

I only wear arch mage robes. These are the little things I forget when going into battle
Same here. I never wear any armor other than some old basic gauntlets I picked up somewhere and am too lazy to swap out. The best defense is a good offense, IMO.

Question for mages:

What effect does levelling up your skills have? Is it only used to qualify you for perks? Because all the spells have their damage listed, so it sounds like your rank doesn't make your spells more powerful. Does it make them cost less Magicka (other than the perk which halves their cost)?

In other words, if two characters have the exact same perks, but one has skill level 50 and the other only has 30, will their spells be any different?

Haven't picked this up in a while, mainly because I hate walking around to places, and how long that takes. I do run a bit to make it faster - is there any better way to do this?

Haven't picked this up in a while, mainly because I hate walking around to places, and how long that takes. I do run a bit to make it faster - is there any better way to do this?
fast travel if you have been to places. You can catch a can in Whiterun stables. Hit all the major holds and then fast travel to and from. When you need to get someplace new, fast travel to the closest and then walk

This is interesting.Yes, there's fast travel (go to your map and click on a location you've already visited) or carriage (hire one outside any of the 5 major hold capitals to take you to any other hold capital). The consensus here has been to not use those, though, and enjoy the travelling through the countryside. I think the correct solution is all things in moderation.

buy a horse / carriage from town to town (there will be a horse with a cart attached next to the stable) / fast travel

'Sand said:
Any idea what your armor rating is? I think I'm at 221 with the nightengale armor after a bit of smithing (and my perks). Sometimes I go arch mage robes though and that's a 57.
Armor is the best orcish or dwarven whatever I have found thus far - rating is 110 or so. And I checked to see if I had it on last night - I did. :P Doesn't matter. I'm getting hit with arrows for 80-100 damage a pop from the normal denizens of this place (trying to be spoiler free). Melee hits are about the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting.Yes, there's fast travel (go to your map and click on a location you've already visited) or carriage (hire one outside any of the 5 major hold capitals to take you to any other hold capital). The consensus here has been to not use those, though, and enjoy the travelling through the countryside. I think the correct solution is all things in moderation.
Good points from everyone - I'm just too focused on the next task (whether it's from the main or a side quest). I don't stop at places to look around, because the first one or two didn't have anything interesting.Thanks.

'Matthias said:
Question for mages:

What effect does levelling up your skills have? Is it only used to qualify you for perks? Because all the spells have their damage listed, so it sounds like your rank doesn't make your spells more powerful. Does it make them cost less Magicka (other than the perk which halves their cost)?

In other words, if two characters have the exact same perks, but one has skill level 50 and the other only has 30, will their spells be any different?
The spell costs definitely go down. I'm not sure if the damage goes up but I don't think so.Just looked it up on the Wiki. I thought they went down more but they do go down some.

Spell costs are for the base level (15) of destruction skill. At level 100, all costs are reduced by 33%.
Although you also have the factor that as you move up your destruction skill, you're probably moving up overall level which gives you more magicka from leveling and better gear which might be giving you magicka or cheaper spells. So you can cast the spell more times.
Okay. I'm not asking for destruction, though. Any magic skill I use a lot I'm obviously going to want to perk up so levelling it makes sense. I'm talking more for a school I just wish to "dabble" in. Like the occasional Illusion or Alteration spell if the situation calls for it. Something I may not want to throw a lot of perks in, so I was wondering if levelling it had any other effect.

Question for mages:What effect does levelling up your skills have? Is it only used to qualify you for perks? Because all the spells have their damage listed, so it sounds like your rank doesn't make your spells more powerful. Does it make them cost less Magicka (other than the perk which halves their cost)?In other words, if two characters have the exact same perks, but one has skill level 50 and the other only has 30, will their spells be any different?
Damage points for the spells do not level up as you level. Unlike most skills where a like a steel sword could be 10 damage at level 5 and then 25 damage as you level up the skill, spell damage is static. A firebolt spell will always do the same base damage, the only way to increase this is through in enchantments.Other schools of magic will level based on perks put into it. A "calm" spell for instance will level I believe.

So currently I am a level 23 High Elf Destruction Mage.

Here are my 3 schools of concentration:

1) Destruction - I am a demon with Fire and Ice and I am working on Lightning as well.

2) Conjuration - I love calling up my Flame Antronoch and am working towards other perks!

3) Restoration - Along with my Highborn this is key to battles.

4) Illusion - Started at 25 and have not really focused too much on it as of now. Once I build up the other schools I may dabble more in this one.

Here are the skills I have focused on:

1) Smithing - I can now make elven armor and I will specialize in Light Armor and want to eventually make a full set of Dragon Armor.

2) Alchemy - I love this skill. I need to carry tons of potions being a mage.

3) Enchanting - really working on this as well. Makes great stuff and lot's of $$$

So I have really concentrated on being a full fledged Mage. I do use one handed weapons in one on one melee sometimes as I love the finishing kills on this game and I do want to make sure I am handy with a sword or mace when need be in a pinch. I also already have lost Lydia and then Sven. I hired a tank for 500 gold (can't recall his name) in Windhelm and he has lasted a while so far.

As far as where I am at.

Main quest - I just infilitrated the Tholmar Embassy. I need to get back to Daphine to retrive my 9K in gold! right now I am holed up in Markarth which I finally went to for the first time in the game.

Mage quests - I have found the Staff of Magnus for the College of Winterhold quest and will get back there eventually.

Markareth - I am doing the house of Horrors and the murder investigation. I want to finish off those 2 before making my way South to Dahpine and then north to Dawnstar (for the first time) from Dawnstar I will head back to the College of Winterhold to finish off that guilds quest.

I am very intrigued by the Dark Brotherhood as well as the Thieves Guild. Not only that But I think I want to pursue a woman.....yep why not. Would be nice to come home in Winterhold to a hot chick by the fire. LOL.

I am on my 4th steed. Damn horses....always getting into the fray when they should not. I have learned the hard way (4K worth) to unmount a good distance from potential fights. So this current horse has lasted.

Amazing depth and just an immense game. I am not grinding up my smithing like many have. I am letting it happen over the course of my adventures. I have found some great mines and some days I do my smithing and potion making as well as enchanting to raise gold and make some new equipment for my companion and myself. I have had some great random drops too.

There is so much to do. I must have at least 15 misc quests in my que as well as the main storyline and some other guild and hold quests. I have made a decision to not take any side in this civil war. I do not like any of the factions at all. I will remain a rouge in that regard.

One house rule I have is I only fast travel to Winterhold to my home when need to unload all my loot. Get 8 hours of shut eye then fast travel right back to my last popint and always travel with my horse. The sightseeing and discovery in this game is amazing.

No question this the best non-sports game I have ever played on any platform.

DLC? No doubt.

Multiple playthorughs with different character build outs? No question. This is the type of game I can see putting in 500 hours on.

This is a grand slam RPG.

LEt's talk armor. I currently am rocking some elven armor I found and enchanted, but my enchanting skills are weak so it's a pretty weak enchantment. Never really use a shield as I want one hand for spells minimum.

Definitely a light-armor character, but with all my stuff on I am only at about 97. What is the best light armor to go after and how do I get it?

LEt's talk armor. I currently am rocking some elven armor I found and enchanted, but my enchanting skills are weak so it's a pretty weak enchantment. Never really use a shield as I want one hand for spells minimum.

Definitely a light-armor character, but with all my stuff on I am only at about 97. What is the best light armor to go after and how do I get it?
what does this mean

LEt's talk armor. I currently am rocking some elven armor I found and enchanted, but my enchanting skills are weak so it's a pretty weak enchantment. Never really use a shield as I want one hand for spells minimum.Definitely a light-armor character, but with all my stuff on I am only at about 97. What is the best light armor to go after and how do I get it?
Best light armor is dragonscale, you won't get it until you max out smithing and perk to dragon armor. Best way for this is to go up the heavy armor side since you will get the best weapons (daedric) and best light armor. You can also go up the light armor side to get there but your weapons won't be as powerful as deadric but at that point it isn't a terrible difference. So basically depends on if you like the looks of glass or daedric more.You will find various leveled armor in chests when you dungeon dive. If you found elven, you might be able to find some glass soon as you get higher in levels.

so i have this now, but not planning on starting soon.

I want to go at this like it's GTA with Dragons and be a general bad guy. In some games this can lead to dead ends. Is there a do/don't list of way to get stuff hung if you do something too bad?

so i have this now, but not planning on starting soon.I want to go at this like it's GTA with Dragons and be a general bad guy. In some games this can lead to dead ends. Is there a do/don't list of way to get stuff hung if you do something too bad?
If your going to be bad I would go the sneaking thief route with dual daggers and such. Be stealth so you don't get killed with bounties and have issues at every hold with guards.If your going to be a criminal and flaunt you better be a massive two handed tank that can kick all kinds of ###. To me that is a hard life to lead in Skyrim.I am by no means an angel either. However I am very selctive when I decide to steal and kill (a citizen) and I make sure I am not seen (at least to the best of my abilites).

what does this mean
Armor rating 97

LEt's talk armor. I currently am rocking some elven armor I found and enchanted, but my enchanting skills are weak so it's a pretty weak enchantment. Never really use a shield as I want one hand for spells minimum.Definitely a light-armor character, but with all my stuff on I am only at about 97. What is the best light armor to go after and how do I get it?
Best light armor is dragonscale, you won't get it until you max out smithing and perk to dragon armor. Best way for this is to go up the heavy armor side since you will get the best weapons (daedric) and best light armor. You can also go up the light armor side to get there but your weapons won't be as powerful as deadric but at that point it isn't a terrible difference. So basically depends on if you like the looks of glass or daedric more.You will find various leveled armor in chests when you dungeon dive. If you found elven, you might be able to find some glass soon as you get higher in levels.
Smithing is something I have not done at all yet. Maybe I'll check the wiki to read up on that. What's the best one?

Has anyone found a site that has all the enchanting recipes as well as the power of those recipes at 100 chanting? (For instance how high can you get the destruction damage up or how high is the +2h skill enchant at level 100)

what does this mean
Armor rating 97
where do you find that info

what does this mean
Armor rating 97
where do you find that info
When your on the apparel screen look to the right bottom. It shows your total armor rating and you will see + or - when putting your cursor next to different armor types. The optimal armor will have the big arrow next to them as well.

I want that custom fit perk next for light armor that boosts your complete set up 25%.

Dude smithing sounds BORING but I guess I will give it a try when I finish my current quests. Tired of getting worked by Falmars and need to up my game. 97 ain't gonna cut it.

Two questions:

1. Is there any way to make an educated guess on potion making? I'm reluctant to try an ingredient that I've only got 2 or 3 of and have the thing fail.

2. When a perk says (0/5), does that mean you have to spend 5 perks to get the full effect?

Two questions:1. Is there any way to make an educated guess on potion making? I'm reluctant to try an ingredient that I've only got 2 or 3 of and have the thing fail.2. When a perk says (0/5), does that mean you have to spend 5 perks to get the full effect?
There are 5 levels. The first is a 20% improvement, 2nd 40%, etc.ETA if you want a basic idea of what something does, eat it.

Two questions:1. Is there any way to make an educated guess on potion making? I'm reluctant to try an ingredient that I've only got 2 or 3 of and have the thing fail.
You can learn effects three ways:1. Taste the ingredient. Depending on your perks, you'll either get one or two of the ingredient's effects2. Mix items that have a common effect. Not sure if this chance based or not but say you're making a potion of ###-whooping and that requires a combination of any two of the following ingredients: eye of newt, frog testicle, unicorn saliva and grapefruit juice. If it just so happens that in addition to ###-whooping, unicorn saliva and frog testicle also have the 'damage libido' property in common, when you make your ###-whooping potion with those two ingredients you'll learn about 'damage libido'.3. Google

I dont remember what 2 I mixed but something plus butterfly wings= restore health

I actually made a ton of stuff last night. Thinking of selling some potions because I have over 100 that I know I wont use all of them

Dude smithing sounds BORING but I guess I will give it a try when I finish my current quests. Tired of getting worked by Falmars and need to up my game. 97 ain't gonna cut it.
Yep it's work. Part of life in Skyrim. But if you take some time to smith between all your adventuring and gradually and naturally level it up it is very rewarding and profitable.I am not racing through this game. If it takes me 6 months to get to 100 smithing......so be it. I am taking it all in and truly approaching it as a Role Playing game. I have no set time limit and trying to "finish" this game.To me there is no end to it.

In regards to Alchemy.

Be a mad scientist!

Eat everything to find it's effect. Even if you only have one. You will get it again sometime in the future as you explore and roam.

Harvest everything you see in your travels.

Mix three potions and see what you get.

Perk it up.

As a Mage Alchemy is vital.

I'm having fun with the game so far. I think I screwed up by spreading out some perks early on too much. I didn't really get the whole perk thing. Also, I was probably 3-4 hours in before I figured out how to use magic. :bag: I thought I had to unlock it somehow and kept getting frustrated that it wasn't getting unlocked. Which sucked because that's what I want to concentrate on.

Currently at the Mage College doing that quest. I really need to do a better job of leveling and perking up Restoration and Alchemy I think.

I've decided to try and clear some of the multitude of quests I've had for a while, so right now it's the drinking contest quest for me, then a couple of dungeon crawls, then back to companion quests. After that I'll finish the House of Horrors (man was that FREAKY when it started. It helped that it was about 2 am when I stumbled into it).

I've found a number of scrolls - are they one time only uses, or do you activate/read them to "learn" them like you do spellbooks? I've figured out that I really need to up my armor as I'm still running around in the first basic Thieves Guild set that I was given, though it's been slightly upgraded. I just saw my first Glass piece of anything, so perhaps I'll start finding some armor in the dungeons (I've been shut out so far on any decent stuff other than weapons).

Users who are viewing this thread