What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Besides the bands I wrote down for deep diving, the two bands this draft is making me re-appreciate more are Zeppelin and The Who. Not sure why I was "meh" when I was listening to LZ for reasearch and :headbang: now, but that seems to be going on.
Have you watched "The Song Remains the Same?". I suggest an edible, then fire that bad boy up.
I have not. I was thinking the other day that I have never watched The Wall either. I see Quadrophenia is on one of my streaming options too.
Dude! The Wall is awesome......Ive never watched Quadrophenia....probly should rectify that.
It’s interesting that those two movies have leads who would become 80s stars: Sting in Quadrophenia, Bob Geldof in The Wall.
The Wall (movie) was released in 1982.
Plus Sting wasn't the lead in Quadrophenia - had a secondary role. But details, details - we're a meticulous bunch. :grad:

Phil Daniels who starred as Jimmy made an early appearance in this countdown. He delivered the spoken verses in Blur's "Parklife" which was #31 for Mrs. Eephus.
It's been ages since I saw the movie, but what still rings with me is when he was angrily shouting "You killed me scootah!".

There's a song on tomorrow's list that's a cover by one of my least favorite artists of a song by one of my favorite artists. Since this was one of the lists that came in without links, I refuse to look it up or listen to it or link to it.
If I had to take a stab I’d guess Hallelujah as the song because it’s been covered so many times and I know you’re a big fan of Cohen. I can’t necessarily think of a version that would qualify though.

John Cale actually does a great version of Hallelujah.

Champagne Supernova is a quality tune and fun to sing along to.

Every time he asks "Where were you while we were getting high?" I think, "Uh, NOT getting high."

Last edited:
3. Another person loses their selection for the Ace Award due to another song from their artist being selected.
4. Speaking of the Ace Award, there's another double-up tomorrow that will involve another vote for the long-running song leader in the contest (which no one guessed), losing only when the penultimate list came in and included the second song that will be posted tomorrow from the same artist.

I'm perfectly serious about not doing these, or anything else, anymore in this thread. A few of you (not most) have actively made the situation worse today with your posts.

I did want to swing back on this one, though. Obviously whoever took "You've Got Another Thing Comin' " for Judas Priest lost their Ace Award contender. The bigger one was this...for a while no one wanted the Ace Award! I'd have a contender like Dusty or Verve and then they'd get killed. Finally about a third of the way into the lists The Cult took the lead with "She Sells Sanctuary" and held onto the lead with more and more votes coming in. Then, the last two lists I received before the deadline were ditka's and Mrs. Ee's, and...OMG. Mrs. Ee not only killed it for The Cult, but another pick of hers later to come launched a song above what had been the #2 contender. She's a killer!

HERE is the link to the #14 Playlist
I honestly didn't know what to do with the Junkman tune. Not being familiar with it, I just clicked on a version on spotify from a different artist, but let me know what to do with it. @simsarge might have an answer too if there is an OK replacement or just leave it off.
I'll do my best to flesh this out. The Junkman tune is a cover by the Beautiful South (several people on here have said that they were big fans of Paul Heaton and the Housemartins tho I'd never heard of either) with Jacqui Abbot the lead singer. It was never "released" that I know of.
The track is one of the B sides to a promotional CD single titled "Dumb" that was given to British DJs. There are a couple different B sides depending on what the DJ was given. I first heard it on the Coverville podcast for a Patti Labelle "Cover Story" and like KP, couldn't find it on Spotify or Amazon even though it was listed in the show notes as being so. Boy I did I try though.
I fnally found a couple of "Dumb" promo CDs on ebay (all in Britain) and I was quite pumped and ordered the first one I came across. This is where I found out there's a couple of different B sides as the first and second ones I bought had a different song. I finally hit pay dirt on my third try.
The only way I know of to hear the BS version is to find it on You Tuve or on the CD.
The original actually has an interesting back story and sounds nothing like this (although great in it's own right). There are plenty of the slowed down versions, but including one that I had in my American list, but none of them compare to this. Abbott's vocals and Heaton's arrangement give me chills even after a hundred listens.

3. Another person loses their selection for the Ace Award due to another song from their artist being selected.
4. Speaking of the Ace Award, there's another double-up tomorrow that will involve another vote for the long-running song leader in the contest (which no one guessed), losing only when the penultimate list came in and included the second song that will be posted tomorrow from the same artist.

I'm perfectly serious about not doing these, or anything else, anymore in this thread. A few of you (not most) have actively made the situation worse today with your posts.

I did want to swing back on this one, though. Obviously whoever took "You've Got Another Thing Comin' " for Judas Priest lost their Ace Award contender. The bigger one was this...for a while no one wanted the Ace Award! I'd have a contender like Dusty or Verve and then they'd get killed. Finally about a third of the way into the lists The Cult took the lead with "She Sells Sanctuary" and held onto the lead with more and more votes coming in. Then, the last two lists I received before the deadline were ditka's and Mrs. Ee's, and...OMG. Mrs. Ee not only killed it for The Cult, but another pick of hers later to come launched a song above what had been the #2 contender. She's a killer!

I've devoted my life to trying to stay on her good side

HERE is the link to the #14 Playlist
I honestly didn't know what to do with the Junkman tune. Not being familiar with it, I just clicked on a version on spotify from a different artist, but let me know what to do with it. @simsarge might have an answer too if there is an OK replacement or just leave it off.
I'll do my best to flesh this out. The Junkman tune is a cover by the Beautiful South (several people on here have said that they were big fans of Paul Heaton and the Housemartins tho I'd never heard of either) with Jacqui Abbot the lead singer. It was never "released" that I know of.
The track is one of the B sides to a promotional CD single titled "Dumb" that was given to British DJs. There are a couple different B sides depending on what the DJ was given. I first heard it on the Coverville podcast for a Patti Labelle "Cover Story" and like KP, couldn't find it on Spotify or Amazon even though it was listed in the show notes as being so. Boy I did I try though.
I fnally found a couple of "Dumb" promo CDs on ebay (all in Britain) and I was quite pumped and ordered the first one I came across. This is where I found out there's a couple of different B sides as the first and second ones I bought had a different song. I finally hit pay dirt on my third try.
The only way I know of to hear the BS version is to find it on You Tuve or on the CD.
The original actually has an interesting back story and sounds nothing like this (although great in it's own right). There are plenty of the slowed down versions, but including one that I had in my American list, but none of them compare to this. Abbott's vocals and Heaton's arrangement give me chills even after a hundred listens.

It's lovely. Never heard it before.

I've devoted my life to trying to stay on her good side
If Mama happy... Everybody happy!

Besides the bands I wrote down for deep diving, the two bands this draft is making me re-appreciate more are Zeppelin and The Who. Not sure why I was "meh" when I was listening to LZ for reasearch and :headbang: now, but that seems to be going on.
Have you watched "The Song Remains the Same?". I suggest an edible, then fire that bad boy up.
I have not. I was thinking the other day that I have never watched The Wall either. I see Quadrophenia is on one of my streaming options too.
Dude! The Wall is awesome......Ive never watched Quadrophenia....probly should rectify that.
It’s interesting that those two movies have leads who would become 80s stars: Sting in Quadrophenia, Bob Geldof in The Wall.
The Wall (movie) was released in 1982.
Plus Sting wasn't the lead in Quadrophenia - had a secondary role. But details, details - we're a meticulous bunch. :grad:
Just stop already. Next you’ll be telling me that sixpence is a Texas form of currency.

Fixed that for you GB.

ETA Priest isn't even in the same conversation as Maiden in terms of ability or catalog.

well you got another thing comin' there pally
He's going to make you Run to the Hills after that comment.

You'll wonder how you wasted years listening to Priest.

I just threw that out there - I'm not much of a fan of any of those bands - don't hate'em, just don't seek them out

Fixed that for you GB.

ETA Priest isn't even in the same conversation as Maiden in terms of ability or catalog.

When he was out in the cold, hot for love, it made him hard as iron.

Edit: That came out both better & worse than I planned.

Fixed that for you GB.

I just threw that out there - I'm not much of a fan of any of those bands - don't hate'em, just don't seek them out
It obviously didn't come across as in jest but I was just messing around because of his Pavoratti comment. And now it's turned into song lyric puns :lmao:

Fixed that for you GB.

It obviously didn't come across as in jest but I was just messing around because of his Pavoratti comment. And now it's turned into song lyric puns :lmao:
It did give me piece of mind that you understood what was going on.

Fixed that for you GB.

Any more puns and you’re going to incur some wrath, child.

Fixed that for you GB.

Don't know how to respond to that threat. I'm at a losfer words.

This is a ton of work for krista and that maybe combined with some personal stuff (we all have it)
After seeing @krista4 comment about posts from today I went back and read some of mine. I also messaged her.

I wrote this (above) in the morning, and I clearly wasn't really thinking. In my head my thoughts were that we all likely bring some personal stress into the board sometimes (I sure do) and I wrote that. For one, I know nothing about her personal life (other than what she shares) and shouldn't be commenting on it. More importantly, saying that minimizes what she was actually feeling about some of the postings that were coming into the thread. I sure wish I stressed that "ton or work" she's doing here part more.

I am very sorry about anything that I did which lead to her no longer enjoying her wonderful creation. This is the best thing on the board imo. I'm sorry to krista and to everyone else.

one person “complained” about this format versus a draft and how he doesn’t have time to listen to long playlists

I'll offer this:

The playlists exist because some people in the draft enjoy partaking of the music in that way. Other people in the draft don't really use the playlists, preferring to pick and choose from the musical buffet piece by piece at their own pace. Still other drafters might rely on memories of songs, and never really re-listen to some selections at all.

There's no one right way to participate in these threads, and it certainly isn't our "job" or "homework" to listen through the entire playlist every day. Don't stress it if you can't or don't drink in the entire playlists. It's OK not to, and doesn't interfere with others that enjoy going through them. It's all good.

And a million thanks to krista for running these. Yes, your efforts are too often taken for granted. On the bright side, I don't see that anyone's lamentations about this exercise is coming from an ungrateful place. Maybe from a place of slight social anxiety: "Am I keeping my end up here?" But that kind of thinking gets in the way of enjoying the thread ... and really, what participation anyone can and does provide is A-OK.
This sums up very nicely where I was coming from. It was my own insecurities about not contributing with a daily write up, especially when I would see the awesome stuff from some on a daily basis, plus all the amazing work done by Krista.

I'm very sorry if I contributed any negativity towards this countdown. It was not my intent. I will do my best to contribute when I can and I really am enjoying the music.

Even if some is a little bittersweet.

one person “complained” about this format versus a draft and how he doesn’t have time to listen to long playlists

I'll offer this:

The playlists exist because some people in the draft enjoy partaking of the music in that way. Other people in the draft don't really use the playlists, preferring to pick and choose from the musical buffet piece by piece at their own pace. Still other drafters might rely on memories of songs, and never really re-listen to some selections at all.

There's no one right way to participate in these threads, and it certainly isn't our "job" or "homework" to listen through the entire playlist every day. Don't stress it if you can't or don't drink in the entire playlists. It's OK not to, and doesn't interfere with others that enjoy going through them. It's all good.

And a million thanks to krista for running these. Yes, your efforts are too often taken for granted. On the bright side, I don't see that anyone's lamentations about this exercise is coming from an ungrateful place. Maybe from a place of slight social anxiety: "Am I keeping my end up here?" But that kind of thinking gets in the way of enjoying the thread ... and really, what participation anyone can and does provide is A-OK.
This sums up very nicely where I was coming from. It was my own insecurities about not contributing with a daily write up, especially when I would see the awesome stuff from some on a daily basis, plus all the amazing work done by Krista.

I'm very sorry if I contributed any negativity towards this countdown. It was not my intent. I will do my best to contribute when I can and I really am enjoying the music.

Really???!! :<_<:

;)

Mrs. Eephus: Hollow Man - The Cult
She's a huge fan of the band and has seen them over 30 times. She wanted to name ditkaburgers' brother Ian but fortunately that didn't come to pass. I'm genuinely surprised by this pick because I always thought "Rain" was her favorite off the Love album. She prefers "Hollow Man" because it's a rockin' song about paranoia. I dig the yeah yeahs toward the end.

@ditkaburgers: The Borders - Sam Fender
Fender is an artist I first repped to ditkaburgers. We all had tickets to see him play a small club on his first US tour but he canceled because of throat problems. He played a festival in SF last summer but ditkaburgers said she wasn't going to drop $200 to stand in a field to see him.

There's a bit of a generation gap in our house about Fender--I hear Springsteen in his sound and she hears The Killers. "The Borders" is as another of his working class anthems about desperate youth in the Northeast of England.

Eephus: Substitute - The Who
I'm a bit of a weirdo formalist when it comes to albums vs. songs. This is particularly true for a band like The Who. My experience of Tommy, Quadrophenia and even Who's Next to an extent is as albums. They consist of songs of course but I'll always view them as pieces of a greater whole.

"Substitute" has no such issues because it was released as a single. It's my favorite of the great early songs recorded by the band when their ambitions were constrained to four minutes of pop perfection.

Black and Blue
Was this a concert film of the Rolling Stones' touring for this album?

Fixed that for you GB.

What a bunch of Dissident Aggressor's

This is a ton of work for krista and that maybe combined with some personal stuff (we all have it)
After seeing @krista4 comment about posts from today I went back and read some of mine. I also messaged her.

I wrote this (above) in the morning, and I clearly wasn't really thinking. In my head my thoughts were that we all likely bring some personal stress into the board sometimes (I sure do) and I wrote that. For one, I know nothing about her personal life (other than what she shares) and shouldn't be commenting on it. More importantly, saying that minimizes what she was actually feeling about some of the postings that were coming into the thread. I sure wish I stressed that "ton or work" she's doing here part more.

I am very sorry about anything that I did which lead to her no longer enjoying her wonderful creation. This is the best thing on the board imo. I'm sorry to krista and to everyone else.

This post is extremely noble (I mean that seriously not sarcastically), and I appreciate it enormously.

I'll offer this:

You're always a fabulous addition to threads, so I was surprised at your post. I get what you're saying much better now. I also think Doug's post nailed it, and I wish I'd posted something like that myself.

She's a huge fan of the band and has seen them over 30 times. She wanted to name ditkaburgers' brother Ian but fortunately that didn't come to pass. I'm genuinely surprised by this pick because I always thought "Rain" was her favorite off the Love album. She prefers "Hollow Man" because it's a rockin' song about paranoia. I dig the yeah yeahs toward the end.
Love is a go of album. Too bad we can't discuss without spot lighting. Maybe just initials? I like BW, SM.

Love is a go of album. Too bad we can't discuss without spot lighting. Maybe just initials? I like BW, SM.

I think we can spotlight The Cult now. Krista mentioned that "She Sells Sanctuary" was in contention for the Ace Award until Mrs. E's last minute submission of "Hollow Men" which suggests these were the only two of their songs selected.

My favorite is "Love Removal Machine"

I think we can spotlight The Cult now. Krista mentioned that "She Sells Sanctuary" was in contention for the Ace Award until Mrs. E's last minute submission of "Hollow Men" which suggests these were the only two of their songs selected.

My favorite is "Love Removal Machine"
Mine too!

Users who are viewing this thread