What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Favs from Eighteen-Point Selections:

New Binky the Doormat:
Baba O'Riley - The Who - Never really gets old, as much as it's played

worrierking: Paranoid Android - Radiohead - It was so difficult to pick just one Radiohead song, this was in the mix

titusbramble: DARE – Gorillaz - Was on my "5 Out" for a bit and then with all the talk of where the performers were from I just nixed it. Wish I hadn't - maybe it can be in the next one?

simey: No Easy Way Down - Dusty Springfield - that voice, going on my Whiskey Sippin' mix

Don Quixote/Shuke: Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2 - U2, Radiohead, U2, The Cure, Genesis,Duran Duran were all impossible to pick just one song. A lot of "buyers remorse" when these artists come up.

Yankee23Fan: A Day In The Life – The Beatles - Favorite from that album by a ton

Hawks64: Let’s Get Rocked – Def Leppard - only familiar with the "hits" from DL, sort of liked this more than I thought I would

Dr. Octopus: She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult - Again, only know the hits, but this one always gets the windows down, old fart screaming at the top of his lungs treatment

scorchy: Last Day Of Our Acquaintance - Sinead O'Connor -Beautiful, but windows back up

Sullie: Bang A Gong - T. Rex - Windows back down! :headbang:

higgins: Jeremiah Blues - Sting - Forgot about this song as I haven't listened to this album in years. Got really into the Police and Sting for a while, interested to know if there is a story here for this song?

The Dreaded Marco: The State I'm In - Belle and Sebastian - Such a lovely song

simsarge: I Sold My Heart To The Junkman – The Beautiful South with Jacqui Abbot - Had a Beautiful South in my top 50 or so, This was great. (so was the Etta version)

Mt. Man: Close To Me - The Cure - top 5 Cure for me

landrys hat: Grounds For Divorce - Elbow - Would make a great "Entrance Song"

Westerberg: Ceremony - New Order - Would have been my New Order song because it was Joy Division

rockaction: New Year’s Day – U2 - Someone said that U2 is over-rated a few days ago, I think it has gone the other way

falguy: Follow You, Follow Me – Genesis - impossible to pick one, so I didn't; this was in the mix

zamboni: Moonage Daydream - David Bowie - :moneybag:

Ilov80s: Only Time – Enya - 🧘‍♂️

Chaz McNulty: Who Are You - The Who - Surprised this is just now making an appearance

Zegras11: What Is Life - George Harrison - What a lovely soul

AAABatteries: Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds - Nothing but great HS memories; Mr. Vernon was a Richard

ditkaburgers: The Borders - Sam Fender - British Brandon Flowers? Never heard of this guy, but kind of dig it - will add to list to explore

krista4: There She Goes - The La's - Never gets old, such a great song

Random comments mostly about the new songs from today.

landrys hat: Grounds For Divorce - Elbow
Nice to see Elbow make an appearance in this thread. Guy Garvey has written some beautiful songs.

rockaction: New Year’s Day – U2
Still no songs picked from Achtung Baby

falguy: Follow You, Follow Me – Genesis
Collins has never sounded so Gabrielish as he does here. Most bands flounder when the frontman goes solo but Genesis just got bigger.

Hov34: The Scientist – Coldplay
Lighters up for the power ballad

zamboni: Moonage Daydream - David Bowie
Any of the 11 tracks on Ziggy are worthy of this countdown.

Doug B: In The Evening - Led Zeppelin
Second song picked off of their final album (not counting Coda). I don't think any have been chosen from their debut.

Ilov80s: Only Time – Enya
I didn't have her on my bingo card but this is a gorgeous recording.

Chaos34: Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
I already mentioned I'm a weirdo formalist about albums.

Chaz McNulty: Who Are You - The Who
This album came out when I was 18 so I was much more aware of the band than when their previous record came out when I was 15. I remember being disappointed at the time but in retrospect this is about the same as By Numbers.

Zegras11: What Is Life - George Harrison
I'm not a Beatles expert like some of you but I've always been curious why George and John made solo records with Phil Spector after the band broke up. That said, this is a great producion that elevates the song.

AAABatteries: Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds
This one is in my karaoke repertoire. Very fun song to sing.

cosjobs: The Letter - Joe Cocker
It starts off so innocently before going so big and crazy towards the end.

Oliver Humanzee: Welcome To The Working Week - Elvis Costello
Side 1, song 1 off his debut. Elvis gets in, speaks his peace and is out the door in under 1:30.

I have an idea. What if we kindly ask @krista4 to run the catchall contest (because honestly none of mutts could pull it off... well, @Eephus could, BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT) and in turn us participants contribute to a charity of her choice(s), with the catch that she won't know how much we raise until the completion of the contest?

I'm just a guy with ideas. It would be a very bad idea for me to direct any of this.

Beer #2 is a ############.

There have been a few who manage it, but as you said IMO most are just a shell of their former selves. 0 chance I could listen to a post-Black album of Metallica in full. Megadeth is more consistent, but still a lot of highs and lows. Dave also gets political and that even wears on me a tad.
I would say post .....And Justice. The Black album was when Metallica jumped the shark, imo. I think Death Magnetic, and Hardwired are better than anything from Black album on.
We can agree to disagree.

They lost me at "what don't kill you make you more strong", or whatever the **** James is singing on that tune. Can't come back from that. ;) I don't mind a song here and there if they pop up, but I can't listen to those front to back.

I can listen to Black Album start to finish and genuinely most of the songs on that one.
Yea I grew up on kill em all, Master, Ride, And Justice.....when the video for Enter Sandman came out to much hype, on MTV, I was very underwhelmed.....to this day, if that song comes on, I have to change it....as for the black album, there are some highlights. I really like Of Wolf and Man, and My friend of Misery. The album is just not the direction I would've liked them to go.
I could throw in S&M (the album >.>) as something I occasionally listen to. Though, studio albums? Yeah, pretty much the same boat as KP. There's enough on the Black Album for me to enjoy it, if certainly not as much as what came before. I tried to get through Load and Reload, but just too many misses for me not to focus on a few songs at most. I wasn't paying much attention by St. Anger, and that obviously didn't help. I'm sure that I haven't given Magnetic or Hardwired a fair shake, but at the same time, I don't know that that's going to change. C'est la vie.

There have been a few who manage it, but as you said IMO most are just a shell of their former selves. 0 chance I could listen to a post-Black album of Metallica in full. Megadeth is more consistent, but still a lot of highs and lows. Dave also gets political and that even wears on me a tad.
I would say post .....And Justice. The Black album was when Metallica jumped the shark, imo. I think Death Magnetic, and Hardwired are better than anything from Black album on.

They lost me at "what don't kill you make you more strong", or whatever the **** James is singing on that tune. Can't come back from that. ;) I don't mind a song here and there if they pop up, but I can't listen to those front to back.

I can listen to Black Album start to finish and genuinely most of the songs on that one.
Yea I grew up on kill em all, Master, Ride, And Justice.....when the video for Enter Sandman came out to much hype, on MTV, I was very underwhelmed.....to this day, if that song comes on, I have to change it....as for the black album, there are some highlights. I really like Of Wolf and Man, and My friend of Misery. The album is just not the direction I would've liked them to go.
I could throw in S&M (the album >.>) as something I occasionally listen to. Though, studio albums? Yeah, pretty much the same boat as KP. There's enough on the Black Album for me to enjoy it, if certainly not as much as what came before. I tried to get through Load and Reload, but just too many misses for me not to focus on a few songs at most. I wasn't paying much attention by St. Anger, and that obviously didn't help. I'm sure that I haven't given Magnetic or Hardwired a fair shake, but at the same time, I don't know that that's going to change. C'est la vie.

Oh man, there's going to be a ton of Metallica in the catch-all countdown. All the more reason for Krista to stay retired.

:scared:

This album came out when I was 18 so I was much more aware of the band than when their previous record came out when I was 15. I remember being disappointed at the time but in retrospect this is about the same as By Numbers.

I just listened to the whole Who Are You album for the first time in a long time. It's pretty solid throughout, especially all of side one. The only song that I really didn't care for was "Guitar and Pen" but that had as much to do with the busy arrangement than with the song itself. "Music Must Change" is an interesting tangent to the group's usual sound.

It probably would have been a better record if Pete had less resources, time and money to work with, some of the songs were polished more shiny than they needed to be.

Eighteen-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

How Soon Is Now? - The Smiths
(duplicate – third vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

Baba O'Riley - The Who
(duplicate – fourth vote)

worrierking:

Paranoid Android - Radiohead
(duplicate – second vote)

Andy Dufresne:

You Really Got Me - The Kinks

landrys hat:

Grounds For Divorce - Elbow
(new artist)

Westerberg:

Ceremony - New Order

Eephus:

Substitute - The Who
(duplicate - second vote)

rockaction:

New Year’s Day – U2
(new song)

zamboni:

Moonage Daydream - David Bowie
(new song)

Doug B:

In The Evening - Led Zeppelin
(new song)

krista4:

There She Goes - The La's
(duplicate – third vote)
These are my favorites of the well-known-to-me songs.

Very pleased to see New Year's Day on a list. It finished #5 on my JML U2 song countdown.

I just listened to the whole Who Are You album for the first time in a long time. It's pretty solid throughout, especially all of side one. The only song that I really didn't care for was "Guitar and Pen" but that had as much to do with the busy arrangement than with the song itself. "Music Must Change" is an interesting tangent to the group's usual sound.

It probably would have been a better record if Pete had less resources, time and money to work with, some of the songs were polished more shiny than they needed to be.
Guitar and Pen to me always sounded more like a show tune than a Who song.

Who Are You, of course, is very much a Who-sounding song, and had been in their live sets for a few years before the album was recorded.

Entwhistle wrote 1/3 of the songs, which I believe was the highest percentage for him on a Who album. At my 1989 show they played Trick of the Light with Entwhistle singing and it was real good.

Music Must Change is interesting because Moon doesn't play on it and he died shortly after the album's release, after which the music very much did have to change.

@KarmaPolice The God that Failed is a ripper of a song as well

St Anger is an abortion

Hoping someone selected a Pete Townshend collaboration effort that came out not too far removed from Who Are You. I would've had I thought of it, and it probably would have threatened my top-10.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in the Big Four (Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks) and wax lovingly about the genius of John, Paul, George, Mick, Keith, and Ray, while Pete sits in the back row, but man, what a giant.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2
(duplicate – second AND third votes today)

rockaction:

New Year’s Day – U2
(new song)

These were my #2 and #3 on JML's U2 countdown.

jwb:
Knocking At Your Back Door – Deep Purple
(new song)

I definitely would not have predicted Perfect Strangers to be the first Deep Purple album that produced more than one song in this exercise. And that of the first six songs, four were from after the peak "Mark II" lineup's first go-round.

Yankee23Fan:

A Day In The Life – The Beatles
(new song)

My #6 Beatles song.

Mt. Man:

Close To Me - The Cure
(new song)

I've heard this song a squillion times on "modern rock" radio, but had no idea what it was called.

falguy:

Follow You, Follow Me – Genesis
(new song)

This is the line of demarcation for the Phil-ization of Genesis. It was their first top 40 hit, and from their first album after Steve Hackett left, And Then There Were Three. Most of the rest of the album is still pretty proggy.

Doug B:

(new song)

My #4 Zeppelin song. I was one of its very highest (Binky: lowest) rankers in Anarchy's countdown.

Zegras11:

What Is Life - George Harrison
(new song)

On some days, my #1 solo Beatles song.

cosjobs:

The Letter - Joe Cocker
(NOPE)

Ol' Yowly! One of Doc Oc's idiots drafted his Beatles jawn but this is his first appearance in our exercise.

Hoping someone selected a Pete Townshend collaboration effort that came out not too far removed from Who Are You. I would've had I thought of it, and it probably would have threatened my top-10.
That's a great record and I was pleasantly surprised when Pearl Jam started covering my favorite song from it in their live sets.

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate – third vote)

My #1 Smiths. It's all about Johnny Marr's guitar effects. It's 6+ minutes of the most compelling shimmering sound that humans could come up with.
Oh, I almost forgot:

HEY, LOOK AT ME! I LISTENED TO THE SMITHS IN COLLEGE!

(Actually, I didn't. Became a fan when I started listening to "modern rock" stations in the mid-90s.)

Since this is where the Oasis fans congregate, this from The 1975's Matty Healy made me laugh today.

"in a mard"???

"in a mard"???

There's an Arctic Monkeys song that uses the term

jwb:
Knocking At Your Back Door – Deep Purple
(new song)
I definitely would not have predicted Perfect Strangers to be the first Deep Purple album that produced more than one song in this exercise. And that of the first six songs, four were from after the peak "Mark II" lineup's first go-round.
Not a huge fan of ‘80s Purple, but this one was a gem. Very clever, entertaining lyrics.

Eighteen-Point Selections:

Pip’s Invitation:

(duplicate – third vote)

New Binky the Doormat:

Baba O'Riley - The Who
(duplicate – fourth vote)

worrierking:

Paranoid Android - Radiohead

Andy Dufresne:

You Really Got Me - The Kinks

landrys hat:

Grounds For Divorce - Elbow
(new artist)

Westerberg:

Ceremony - New Order

Eephus:

Substitute - The Who
(duplicate - second vote)

rockaction:

New Year’s Day – U2
(new song)

zamboni:

Moonage Daydream - David Bowie
(new song)

Doug B:

(new song)

krista4:

There She Goes - The La's
(duplicate – third vote)
These are my favorites of the well-known-to-me songs.

Very pleased to see New Year's Day on a list. It finished #5 on my JML U2 song countdown.
Geez, case in point of overlooking song, New Year's Day is a 10.
Edit: and so is Moonage Daydream.

1972 for the win, and 1987

Last edited:
Damnit, I had one of my favorites and I had it (in my mind) as I was doing my list but I forgot to add it. I wanted to set the scene. It's 1985 and I'm a senior in HS and in 83/84 our group of 5 formed. So it's me, Tom, Jack, Karl and Bret. We used to just hang out together all the time. Movies, video games, bowling, video rentals, the mall, homework, commodore 64 groups, etc. So the normal thing was, go rent a few movies, go to someone's house, make popcorn and joke around/make fun of the movies if they sucked, etc.

1985, we grabbed the movies and went to Karl's house. We were waiting for one of the guys to come over so while we were waiting we had MTV on. . . duh! And as we're waiting THIS comes on. It was Face The Face by Pete Townshend and I immediately loved it because it was so different, so cool and I just loved the hell out of it immediately. Unfortunately, there a bunch of different versions of that song so the next time I heard it I was disappointed. I used to tape MTV and look for it for years. I read in the comments that the one girl that comes up to sing is Pete's daughter and I think that's true. I remember the first time I saw this at Karl's house, Karl's Dad walked in the room, he looked at the TV and he said "wow. . . that guy is high as a kite. . jeesh" he shook his head and walked out of the room in disgust. I laughed my *** off, I thought it was hilarious. I've watched this video a million times and I just don't see it, he looks like Pete Townshend trying out for Solid Gold to me. :)

Oh, I know you don't wanna hear this but thanks for all the hard work K4! At least one old, middle aged dummy appreciates your hard work! And please do the next one, the other "song" threads just aren't that interesting to me, sorry other thread folks, I love everything about this one. Lots of time, effort, love and detail here! I had an emergency (server w/a corrupt virtual drive last weekend) and I was stuck working on that all weekend into the beginning of this week which put me way behind here!

Quite the mix today. Some repeats,some new treats. Some metal, some Enya. Some new school, some older than old school. I enjoyed a lot, but here’s me spotlights a few choices.

#14s
Recognized by title alone: 25
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown:
Didn't know: 13

Special Shout Out: Hollow Man (Mrs. Eephus) - I think I’ve heard this before. It at least was familiar in quite a few parts. But I wasn’t confident enough to put it in either (main) category. So this will do.

Selected Favorites:
Romeo and Juliet (Just Win Baby)
Knocking At Your Back Door (jwb)
The Real Me (MisterCIA)
Follow You, Follow Me (falguy)

Some songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
No Easy Way Down (simey)
Jeremiah Blues (higgins)
Grounds for Divorce (landrys hat)
The Borders (ditkaburgers

New-to-me favorites from #14:

Victim of Changes -- Judas Priest (Manster). A much different mold from their late 70s/early 80s stuff I came across on radio and MTV. Much more varied and dynamic.
No Easy Way Down -- Dusty Springfield (Simey). Another great vocal with sympathetic, precise backing.
Jeremiah Blues -- Sting (Higgins). I think of his solo career as most easy-listening stuff, but this had some real gravitas to it, and not in the pretentious way that we sometimes associate with him.
The State I'm In -- Belle and Sebastian (Marco). This wasn't doing much for me at first but then the music and lyrics escalated dramatically.

Last edited:

Yea it is surprising (even though I picked one) - they have a solid catalog. I was happy to see Highway Star picked - it's a great song.

Last edited:
New-to-me favorites today were "Romeo and Juliet" by Dire Straits and "The Scientist" by Coldplay. I realized I've never like much Dire Straits because Knopfler's vocal grates on me, but this song was so good I was able to overlook it.

Others I like included four from ladies! The Enya song turned out not to be new to me, and I always did like that one. Also enjoyed the Dusty Springfield and Sinead O'Connor tracks. And I had previously listened to the Junkman song when simsarge sent it in and loved that (but I'm a big fan of The Beautiful South).

Accidentally heard one note of the Joe Cocker song before I realized what I'd done and hit skip. Whew, that was close.

Last edited:
Today's absolute monsters:
Pip’s Invitation: How Soon Is Now? - The Smiths
worrierking: Paranoid Android - Radiohead
Don Quixote: Sunday Bloody Sunday - U2 :hifive:
Yankee23Fan: A Day In The Life – The Beatles
Doug B: In The Evening - Led Zeppelin
Chaos34: Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
Zegras11: What Is Life - George Harrison
krista4: There She Goes - The La's

Other favorites:
Dr. Octopus: She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult