What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

higgins: Jeremiah Blues - Sting - Forgot about this song as I haven't listened to this album in years. Got really into the Police and Sting for a while, interested to know if there is a story here for this song?
Bottom of this link is all I could come up with:
Jeremiah Blues (Part 1) uses the guise of the Biblical **** Robin to churn some insouciant funk. Sting has long outed his love of Bertolt Brecht's caustic indictments against the status quo, and Jeremiah - a wise-assed lampoon - is a character study, providing him with a chance to invert the earnestness in 'When the World Is Running Down'. The global "big clock is ticking" here, just like in the Police tune, but Sting, his puss adorned with a gleeful smirk at the end of the world's mayhem, loves it to death.

[Sting]: "It's tongue in cheek, kind of an absurdist song really," he grins, "I've been called a Jeremiah with this whole ecology thing, so I decided to take a swipe at that stance, a side-long look at it. It's ambiguousness is nice; I didn't want to write songs about save the trees or don't kill the Lemmings. That's not art, it's propaganda."

Sting would rather feed his listeners ideas that they might not taste until later. Like Brecht? He laughs. "Well, there's a lot to learn from his work - I studied him in school and have generally learned a lot from that guy. But there's a lot of ******** in his stuff, too. Information in songs is important obviously, but it shouldn't be perceived as boring lessons. Jeremiah has got a good groove going for it."

I was so busy lamenting that The Police weren't included that I didn't even think of Sting solo. A track from Soul Cages would have made the cut here.
:doh:
My favorite album by him -- I saw him on that tour and became a fan of the musicians he brought with him (Colaiuta, David Sancious, Dominic Miller) -- great show!

Jeremiah Blues -- Sting (Higgins). I think of his solo career as most easy-listening stuff, but this had some real gravitas to it, and not in the pretentious way that we sometimes associate with him.
Great live as well (couldn't find it live with any kind of reasonable audio).

The Enya song turned out not to be new to me, and I always did like that one.
I didn't recognize it by title, but when it came on I realized I had heard it before -- but it might have been in a commercial.

It was, or in a movie, or something...to the googles!

Oh god, it was the Kraft mac and cheese ad I was thinking of. :bag:

Wiki:
On 13 November 2013, The Epic Split advertisement was launched for the Volvo Trucks Volvo FM range and featured the song and Jean-Claude Van Damme. The success of the ad caused "Only Time" to re-enter the Billboard Hot 100 at number 43,[60][61] and the UK Singles Chart at number 95. Kraft Foods later used the song in advertisements showing parents relaxing while their kids eat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.[62]

The song was featured in the 2018 Marvel film Deadpool 2, as well as the 2022 Marvel film Thor: Love and Thunder. The song is also played in goal reviews of all Dallas Stars home games at the American Airlines Center.[63] The song has been widely used as an internet meme depicting various scenes that end in tragedy

And then Krista does these last two count downs and is doing easily 50 times the spreadsheet work that I did. It blows me away all the detail of each and every song listed everyday underneath the song title. That info of matching first. 4th, dupes, etc. Is so incredibly hard and time consuming to put together. Blows my mind.
Really makes you want to argue against her in a Court of Law, doesn't it?

And then Krista does these last two count downs and is doing easily 50 times the spreadsheet work that I did. It blows me away all the detail of each and every song listed everyday underneath the song title. That info of matching first. 4th, dupes, etc. Is so incredibly hard and time consuming to put together. Blows my mind.
Really makes you want to argue against her in a Court of Law, doesn't it?

I got mardy just thinking about it

The Enya song turned out not to be new to me, and I always did like that one.
I didn't recognize it by title, but when it came on I realized I had heard it before -- but it might have been in a commercial.

It was, or in a movie, or something...to the googles!

Oh god, it was the Kraft mac and cheese ad I was thinking of. :bag:

Wiki:
On 13 November 2013, The Epic Split advertisement was launched for the Volvo Trucks Volvo FM range and featured the song and Jean-Claude Van Damme. The success of the ad caused "Only Time" to re-enter the Billboard Hot 100 at number 43,[60][61] and the UK Singles Chart at number 95. Kraft Foods later used the song in advertisements showing parents relaxing while their kids eat Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.[62]

The song was featured in the 2018 Marvel film Deadpool 2, as well as the 2022 Marvel film Thor: Love and Thunder. The song is also played in goal reviews of all Dallas Stars home games at the American Airlines Center.[63] The song has been widely used as an internet meme depicting various scenes that end in tragedy
I think the Enya song got a lot of play after 9/11. She re-released it with all the profits going to some sort of firefighter based charity. It became a huge hit in the US from that and became a sort of unofficial anthem of that tragedy.

My class song was "Year of the Cat" . Ick.

Our prom song was "Without You" by Motley Crue. It's safe to say that even with my hair metal background, I was slightly appalled by the selection of a bad metal ballad when there were so many other good ones to choose from by even Motley themselves, including maybe my favorite ever, which is "On With The Show" off of Too Fast For Love. It's a Frankie and Johnny song, as Eephus once taught me.

Frankie died just the other night
Some say it was suicide
But we know
How the story goes

I believe our Class Song was The Graduation Song by Vitamin C since it came out just a few months before we graduated. I still remember all these kids crying at Prom as they played it for the last song. I just wanted to get out of there to party. Unfortunately my date made me stay until that last song. That’s about the only thing I remember from the dance.

Our class voted on Smashing Pumpkins Today as our class song. The school's administration squashed the idea for suicidal reasons. Us being a group of mature individuals upon being informed to pick something up we told them Party Up, by DMX. Those that are familiar with that song probably know how well that went over, so our administration chose our song for us. Hilariously, they chose Green Day's Time Of Your Life...which is actually titled Good Riddance. But while we had a lot of fun with this throughout the year what drove school admin up a wall was our invention of the Rick Roll before the Rick Roll was a thing. Only we did it with Limp Bizkit's Break Stuff.

We have a school assembly today? Sneak the boom box in the locker room to the gym bleachers - another turning point, a fork stuck in the...BREAK YOUR ****ING FACE TONIGHT! 3rd quarter timeout and the band is out at the concession stand? Hey kid running the PA, wanna have some fun? GIVE ME SOMETHING TO BREAK! Prom night's coming to a close? Hey DJ - here's a 20, let the first verse run, but then...It's just one of those days! And so on, and so on, and so on. My only regret is we weren't able to figure out a way to wedge it into graduation night. Although as the army of us slowly made our way out of the parking lot everyone knows what we pumping through each of our speakers...

Coldplay was discussed a bit yesterday. I did not know the The Scientist song. I really liked it and downloaded the album it was on - there’s a few songs on it, I have heard before.

And yeah, that Enya song has been in a few different commercials over the years I believe - it’s one of those songs that are very well suited to that format.

For elementary school I went to a K-6 Quaker school. We wanted Le Freak as our graduation song -- they wouldn't allow it and gave us The Circle Game.
Same kind of thing happened in my high school. I Wanna Rock(Twisted Sister) won the vote in a landslide but they made us use You're My Inspiration (Chicago) instead.
Practically the same song, anyway.

Not sure who took "The Whole of the Moon" last round but it is one of my 5 laments©

I almost took it in the US draft but with an American cover. If this version by Fiona Apple had been on Spotify I would have taken it.

I have no idea if we had a class song.
I don't remember much about high school. We probably had some stupid, to me, song at the time. But that memory had been lost to age, bourbon and other things.

I do remember, though, my sophomore English teacher. Her class had quotes on construction paper all over the walls. Famous people, writers, you know, trying to make us care. I replaced a couple with Andrew Dice Clay jokes and told no one. They stayed up for a few days. Never a word was said when they came down. Still makes me giggle.

Speaking of it. There's just so much I love about the song - plus they have at least one band member from each of the 5 main British Isles.

There is pure joy in the music. I also love the lyrics. I'm not sure if my interpretation of it is correct but I view them as the narrator being a pessimist, who just mopes through life, and envies some woman who is the eternal optimist and lives life to the fullest- even in the chorus, he only sees the crescent while she still sees that the whole moon is still there.

Hmm, you were there in the turnstiles, with the wind at your heels
You stretched for the stars and you know how it feels to reach too high
Too far
Too soon
You saw the whole of the moon
I was grounded
While you filled the skies
I was dumbfounded by truth
You cut through lies
I saw the rain dirty valley
You saw Brigadoon
I saw the crescent

I just thought of a fairly big band that I don't believe we've seen yet - I can see a few of their songs being loved enough that they just haven't showed up yet - but at the same time at this point I can also see them having been shut out because while they were fairly big back then, maybe they don't get a ton of recognition generally today.

Last edited:
Speaking of it. There's just so much I love about the song - plus they have at least one band member from each of the 5 main British Isles.

There is pure joy in the music. I also love the lyrics. I'm not sure if my interpretation of it is correct but I view them as the narrator being a pessimist, who just mopes through life, and envies some woman who is the eternal optimist and lives life to the fullest- even in the chorus, he only sees the crescent while she still sees that the whole moon is still there.

Hmm, you were there in the turnstiles, with the wind at your heels
You stretched for the stars and you know how it feels to reach too high
Too far
Too soon
I was grounded
While you filled the skies
I was dumbfounded by truth
You cut through lies
I saw the rain dirty valley
You saw Brigadoon
I saw the crescent
Makes me think of the last season of The Affair.

I have no idea if we had a class song.
Thank you. I thought I was the only one.

When I read this last night I had no idea if we had a class song either. This morning I had a call from a lifelong best bud. The San Francisco architect, I've mentioned, who got my home plans approved. I mentioned this topic. Heatwave - Always and Forever. Oh yeah! I remember now. My memory is pretty dodgy. I've loved that song forever. Karaoked it a time or two. Completely forgot why. We'll see it in the catch all.

I also didn’t go to my prom, so that’s maybe when it was announced.
Same here. But I'm pretty sure we didn't have a class song. There probably would have been a riot, as I'm guessing our musical preferences broke down something like 45% AOR/45% R&B/10% Other. "Other" would include stuff like country, new wave, one guy who listened to nothing but Elvis Presley, some classical fans, assorted other niches. Our class officers were all new wavers, though if they took something like "Cars" or "Rapture" they would have gotten murdered the the 45%/45% plurality (which would have been the only time those two groups agreed on anything musically - usually the hallways were sonic battlegrounds).

I was 17 and she was 20. I did not go to my prom.

I vaguely recall Styx's Babe was the theme song, but that could have been the class before mine.:sick:

I also didn’t go to my prom, so that’s maybe when it was announced.
I think that's different - the prom has a "theme" and a signature song based on that theme. Maybe it's in my Yearbook somewhere.
I can go back and check and also see Resident Octopus when he was young a beautiful and more importantly had a LOT of hair.
Our class song was Good Times Roll from The Cars. The prom song was Separate Ways by Journey. I only remember a few things about the prom. I remember slow dancing to the song Truly by Lionel Richie with my prom date, and he started singing it in my ear. :x I hated wearing the prom dress. It was like some ballroom gown, and that corsage my prom date gave me took up half my arm. I couldn't wait for it to be over so I could put on my street clothes, and go to the after party with everyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread