What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Spider-Gwen!

I now consider myself 1000x more knowledgeable about super heroes than I did entering the day.

Because I don't know much, really.

Me too! I even read about Herogasm now - ew.

@Doug B , I've never seen Buffy, but she is taken anyway, as it Spider-Gwen.

This superhero stuff is just the legal department, but that's 300+ people.

I think I like Snowbird or one of the Game of Thrones people best.

My wife and I are re-wartching currently. Brienne, and Arya are both pretty awesome. Though my favorite character is Tyrion....I mean how can he not be? I'm guessing you don't want to be an alcoholic imp though......

No to alcoholic imp, I think. I'm also not sure I want to be a 30something virgin even though Brienne is my favorite.
No one delivers great one liners like The Hound. I loved his interactions with Arya.

Has some language.

I looooooooove The Hound.

How the hell did Mariah Carey's "Fantasy" wind up as Pitchfork's number one song of the nineties? Payola for bloggers again?

"Born Slippy (Nuxx)" - Underworld

This one was twentieth in that same countdown. You wouldn't peg me for dance music from looking at my handle, but I did like techno and house and big beat in '96-'98. This song was introduced to me much later than its release date (I never saw Trainspotting) and I immediately hunted it down when finding out from the host at our drugged-out party of four in NYC during the day on a weekday. From the three chord piano riff to the thumping/driving bass, this song hits perfectly for a twenty or thirty-something drinker even though the song is specifically written to condemn the writer's own alcoholism.

"Shouting lager, lager, lager"

While I'm not aware of the cinematic use of the song, I think it's theatrical and emotive anyway, especially for a dance track.

Oh crap, dude. Dayglo is amazing.

That's the one frequently put front-and-center. I should clarify even though your response indicates that you know what I meant: I shouldn't say I never "got it" as if I didn't understand it. I meant never had a physical copy of it to listen to when I was really into grunge and later when I thought that Love Battery sort of stood apart from that whole scene. I'll have to give it a listen.

@Doug B , I've never seen Buffy, but she is taken anyway, as it Spider-Gwen.

This superhero stuff is just the legal department, but that's 300+ people.
Yeah, going by the level of characters that have been taken ... I figured there had to be tons of staff in on it. Was thinking more in terms of dozens, though.

@Doug B , I've never seen Buffy, but she is taken anyway,

If you have time ... for grins: See if other female Buffyverse characters are taken, like Willow (Willow Rosenberg IIRC) and Faith (no idea on last name).

Kinda wondering about True Blood and Vampire Diaries characters now. Anyone got Sookie Stackhouse or Elena Gilbert? Caroline Forbes?

I reached out on Snowbird, Arya Stark, and Brienne of Tarth. Snowbird just got taken by someone else and wasn't reflected on the list! Arya is of questionable eligibility according to the vetter of the superheroes: " I don’t believe Brienne of Tarth used her abilities for self-serving needs. Arya, could be borderline, though I loved her character. I need to revisit her character’s attributes."

:lmao:

By the way, @simey , I didn't want to use Dazzler because I am terrible at roller-skating.

Sarah Conner would be a great choice for someone who's a mother, so I wanted to leave her for someone else.

I reached out on Snowbird, Arya Stark, and Brienne of Tarth. Snowbird just got taken by someone else and wasn't reflected on the list! Arya is of questionable eligibility according to the vetter of the superheroes: " I don’t believe Brienne of Tarth used her abilities for self-serving needs. Arya, could be borderline, though I loved her character. I need to revisit her character’s attributes."

Can you explain what the ultimate purpose of this is?

Kitty Pride: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitty_Pryde

JFC

Magneto for Magneto and Titanium Man?

I did look him up. Started as an anti-hero but became a hero...he's a possibility. Feels a little odd for me to choose a Holocaust survivor, but the whole thing is odd.

What's the game again? What type of hero are you looking for. I have a few suggestions based off my comic collection days (late 80's).

It's sooooo dumb. I'll find the original post about this and bump it.
You didn't like my suggestion of the weirdo rocker? :lol:

No, no I can't.

Fan of Greek mythology, or are they eligible? Maybe Circe?

(She’s no villain in my book; turning Odysseus’s men into pigs was completely justified.)

I might end up with Brienne. I like that she rises to the highest ranks in a "man's world," which I had to do for my type of work. I like that she is noble and loyal above all else. And my reference to "all boobs" earlier meant I didn't want some geek's sexualized concept of what an ideal woman is, which Brienne certainly isn't.

Last edited:
@Doug B , I've never seen Buffy, but she is taken anyway,

If you have time ... for grins: See if other female Buffyverse characters are taken, like Willow (Willow Rosenberg IIRC) and Faith (no idea on last name).

Kinda wondering about True Blood and Vampire Diaries characters now. Anyone got Sookie Stackhouse or Elena Gilbert? Caroline Forbes?

Looks like Faith was taken but none of the others.

My top 10 from the 22 point round, excluding my own selection:
  1. @Mrs. Rannous : When The Levee Breaks - Led Zeppelin -- my #3 song in the Zep countdown
  2. @falguy : Sympathy For The Devil - The Rolling Stones -- my second favorite Stones song
  3. @landrys hat : Train In Vain (Stand By Me) - The Clash
  4. @Hov34 : Bad – U2 -- my #3 song in the U2 countdown
  5. worrierking: Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
  6. Zegras11: Help! - The Beatles -- my #10 song in the most recent Beatles countdown
  7. Doug B: Skateaway - Dire Straits
  8. simsarge: Shooting Star - Bad Company
  9. Chaz McNulty: Yellow – Coldplay
  10. Andy Dufresne: Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne
IMO this is the best round yet, by far.

No, no I can't.
Here ya go

Ø Please note that your superhero must have at least some type of extra human (or alien) ability.

Ø Magic, flight and strength are good examples. Abilities that any human has (compassion, optimism), do not a superhero make.

Ø Superhero-adjacent characters/teammates (i.e. Peggy Carter, Agent Coulson, members of the bat-family) may be considered.

Ø Villains and anti-heroes will be declined.

How about Phoenix or Mrs. Incredible (aka Elastigirl)?

Ø Please note that your superhero must have at least some type of extra human (or alien) ability.

Ø Magic, flight and strength are good examples. Abilities that any human has (compassion, optimism), do not a superhero make.

Ø Superhero-adjacent characters/teammates (i.e. Peggy Carter, Agent Coulson, members of the bat-family) may be considered.

Does Ellen Ripley qualify?

Job news! Today I accepted an offer for...well, my existing job. I just remembered that, in this department of the company that will now officially be my employer, new hires choose a "superhero" to represent them. Is anyone confused about why I got out of the corporate world? Anyway, there will be an announcement of my coming on board that gives a bio, then three "fun facts" about me, and an indication of who my superhero will be.

Taking nominations for superheroes. I suppose for fun facts, too - I guess the Beatles stuff will be one. "Runs countdowns of favorite songs of internet middle-aged dummies" won't be. ;)

@Andy Dufresne

Most people seem to select based on particular skills or powers that the superhero might have, or based on cultural connections (like a Black person taking a Black superhero). I don't care about any of that so much, but just want a cool superhero. Don't care if it's male or female, but if female I'd prefer not one of the ones that's all boobs.

Are you familiar with Herogasm?

Throwing Ropes would be kind of cool but I think I’d go as Love Sausage - more wardrobe options.

Both taken. It really is difficult.

Updated Contest Standings:

PersonScore1234567TopSongSong By…
The Dreaded Marco7David BowieU2The WhoThe KinksElton JohnBlack SabbathThe ClashThe BeatlesHeroesDavid Bowie
Manster7Def LeppardPink FloydElton JohnDavid BowieDepeche ModeThe WhoU2The BeatlesBaba O'RileyThe Who
New Binky the Doormat7Elton JohnDavid BowieThe WhoPink FloydU2Def LeppardGenesisThe BeatlesBaba O'RileyThe Who
Uruk-Hai6David BowieElton JohnThe ClashThe WhoThe KinksThe AnimalsDusty SpringfieldThe BeatlesGoodbye Yellow Brick RoadElton John
Eephus6The WhoThe KinksPink FloydDavid BowieU2Black SabbathElton JohnThe BeatlesWish You Were HerePink Floyd
Westerberg6David BowieThe WhoElton JohnVan MorrisonElvis CostelloRadioheadPink FloydThe BeatlesBaba O'RileyThe Who
Just Win Baby5The WhoPink FloydThe CureU2The KinksElton JohnDavid BowieThe BeatlesWish You Were HerePink Floyd
Pip's Invitation5Pink FloydThe WhoDavid BowieElton JohnU2The CureThe KinksThe BeatlesWish You Were HerePink Floyd
Val Rannous5Pink FloydOzzy OsbourneThe KinksDavid BowieU2The WhoElton JohnThe BeatlesCrazy TrainOzzy Osbourne
scorchy5Pink FloydDavid BowieElton JohnThe WhoRadioheadVan MorrisonThe KinksThe BeatlesWish You Were HerePink Floyd
Mrs. Rannous5The KinksElton JohnJethro TullU2The WhoThe EurythmicsPink FloydLed ZeppelinBaba O'RileyThe Who
Don Quixote4David BowieThe KinksThe WhoRadioheadElton JohnU2Sex PistolsThe Rolling StonesWaterloo SunsetThe Kinks
Doug B4U2David BowieThe WhoPink FloydOasisThe KinksElton JohnU2HeroesDavid Bowie
Hawks644Iron MaidenOzzy OsbourneElton JohnPink FloydThe WhoThe ClashRadioheadThe BeatlesFameDavid Bowie
DrianMalcolm4Elton JohnDavid BowiePink FloydThe WhoCreamElvis CostelloAmy WinehouseThe BeatlesSon of a Preacher ManDusty Springfield
MAC_324U2Pink FloydThe WhoDavid BowieThe ClashRadioheadThe CureThe BeatlesMaybe I'm AmazedPaul McCartney
higgins4Pink FloydRadioheadThe WhoJohn LennonDavid BowieU2Elton JohnThe BeatlesWish You Were HerePink Floyd
AAABatteries4Van MorrisonThe KinksElton JohnU2David BowiePink FloydRadioheadThe BeatlesZombieThe Cranberries
Chaz McNulty4U2Elton JohnThe WhoPink FloydDavid BowieRadioheadColdplayThe BeatlesTiny DancerElton John
Chaos343U2Pink FloydElton JohnDavid BowieThe WhoVan MorrisonRadioheadThe Rolling StonesBitter Sweet SymphonyThe Verve
Hov343David BowieThe WhoU2Elton JohnPink FloydArctic MonkeysYesThe Rolling StonesHeroesDavid Bowie
falguy3Elton JohnPink FloydU2The WhoDavid BowieThe CultThe CureThe Rolling StonesComfortably NumbPink Floyd
Dr. Octopus3The WhoPink FloydU2Elton JohnThe CureVan MorrisonRadioheadThe BeatlesInto the MysticVan Morrison
jwb2Pink FloydVan MorrisonElton JohnDavid BowieU2YesIron MaidenThe Rolling StonesInto the MysticVan Morrison
simey2Pink FloydVan MorrisonDavid BowieIron MaidenElton JohnThe CureU2Led ZeppelinBadU2
Karma Police2David BowiePink FloydThe WhoU2RadioheadVan MorrisonCreamLed ZeppelinSon of a Preacher ManDusty Springfield
cosjobs2The WhoBlack SabbathTrafficElvis CostelloFleetwood MacJethro TullVan MorrisonThe Rolling StonesLow Spark of High Heeled BoysTraffic

What stinks about picking a superhero at this point is that you just have to kind of settle on someone obscure that doesn't really mean anything to you.

They really need to let you go with Brienne of Tarth and not make it any more of a pain than it seems to already be.

What stinks about picking a superhero at this point is that you just have to kind of settle on someone obscure that doesn't really mean anything to you.

They really need to let you go with Brienne of Tarth and not make it any more of a pain than it seems to already be.
Yeah. I'm a huge superhero guy( own over 6k comics) and even I would have a hard time making a list of 300+ heroes

Users who are viewing this thread