What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (2 Viewers)

Just received another list, too. :)

Mine is done as well, so I guess I should count that in the "last week" tally.

Probably common knowledge but Glass Animals (while they were formed in England) has a lead singer/producer who was born in America (to I assume American parents?) He move to England young but...

Well at least I can whittle down another song down to 39!!!

Just received another list, too. :)

Mine is done as well, so I guess I should count that in the "last week" tally.
I’m still working on whittling my list down, but hope to submit by the end of the week. Just need to fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way (close, but not part of my 31).

All right, three votes are good enough for me.

For the ***OFFICIAL*** contest, please send to @Val Rannous your list of the seven (7) artists that you believe will round out the top 10 along with Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Rolling Stones. The winner will be the one who guesses the highest number of artists correctly. The tiebreaker will be the person whose seven choices score the most total points. If we need another tiebreaker after that, it will be arbitrarily and capriciously decided by me.

Deadline is 11:59 EST on Sunday, January 15.

Winner gets a donation to charity of his/her choice in an amount to be determined by me based on whether I have a job at the time, but in no case less than $250.

So, no song guesses at all then?

I'll still be a few days before I can get my list in but will still be submitting.

She's cooking up a 2nd contest (do you not read her posts?) that I don't think has been released yet (do I not read her posts?). That may well include songs.

I actually read that one!

I figured since it was multiple choice it wouldn't be about picking specific songs.

Do you have a suggestion for a song-based contest? I know people threw some stuff out there at one time, so apologies if I’ve forgotten.

She's cooking up a 2nd contest (do you not read her posts?) that I don't think has been released yet (do I not read her posts?). That may well include songs.

I figured since it was multiple choice it wouldn't be about picking specific songs.

Do you have a suggestion for a song-based contest? I know people threw some stuff out there at one time, so apologies if I’ve forgotten.

Maybe have folks submit their 7 artists plus the one song they think will finish highest that is not from the big 3. Sorry, wasn't trying to mix things up - I mainly wanted to make sure I understood as I haven't been able to follow closely the last week.

Maybe have folks submit their 7 artists plus the one song they think will finish highest that is not from the big 3. Sorry, wasn't trying to mix things up - I mainly wanted to make sure I understood as I haven't been able to follow closely the last week.

How about we make your song suggestion the tiebreaker (instead of total points, as I'd first suggested)?

How about we make your song suggestion the tiebreaker (instead of total points, as I'd first suggested)?

I feel like I'm mudding the waters unnecessarily - sorry. I guess I enjoyed seeing peoples guesses as to the top song. We can just have people post them and keep them in the spreadsheet with no contest associated - then just keep things as they are and tell me to shut up.

@krista4 or @Val Rannous - I just wanted to be clear, do we list the 7 in order of how we think they finish or just a list of the 7 artists?

I also like the idea of guessing the top song for those 7, either for a tie breaker, or just a way to make it 14 points instead of 7 points possible to limit the possibility of a tie coming up.

I feel like I'm mudding the waters unnecessarily - sorry. I guess I enjoyed seeing peoples guesses as to the top song. We can just have people post them and keep them in the spreadsheet with no contest associated - then just keep things as they are and tell me to shut up.

I liked seeing them, too, but went away from the song notion because I thought it too difficult. But I thought it would be too difficult last time, and three people got it right, though I note that no one guessed songs #2 or #3. I like the idea of having it as the tiebreaker, so that we still get to see the guesses.

Or, see below.

@krista4 or @Val Rannous - I just wanted to be clear, do we list the 7 in order of how we think they finish or just a list of the 7 artists?

I also like the idea of guessing the top song for those 7, either for a tie breaker, or just a way to make it 14 points instead of 7 points possible to limit the possibility of a tie coming up.

They don't need to be in order. We could make the song worth three points (since it's more difficult) and round to an even and pleasing 10 points possible?

Please vote:
-Don't add song
-Add song with an additional point value of x (3?) points
-Add song as tiebreaker only

I'm gonna go vet some lists and check back later.

I vote for #2, but honestly don't understand the math and the 3 points.

It's harder but all 7 songs add up to 3 points? 7 artists x 1pt each + 3pts for all the songs? = 10pts total possible? Or are we just doing one song for 3pts?

I thought at first you were saying 1 pt for artist, but 3pts for the song since it woudl be harder, so I thought you were saying 28pts total, but then saw the 10.

It's harder but all 7 songs add up to 3 points? 7 artists x 1pt each + 3pts for all the songs? = 10pts total possible? Or are we just doing one song for 3pts?

I thought at first you were saying 1 pt for artist, but 3pts for the song since it woudl be harder, so I thought you were saying 28pts total, but then saw the 10.

7 artists - 1 point each.
Name the song that scores highest and is not by the Big Three - three points. I guess we'd still need a tiebreaker after that, though.

Looks unanimous other than @New Binky the Doormat , but I assume he meant the opposite, in Classic Binky fashion?

7 artists - 1 point each.
Name the song that scores highest and is not by the Big Three - three points. I guess we'd still need a tiebreaker after that, though.

Looks unanimous other than @New Binky the Doormat , but I assume he meant the opposite, in Classic Binky fashion?
Gotcha. Totally misread the post, sorry.

The band Hot Chocolate is at least partially ineligible, due to founding members Errol Brown and Tony Wilson being born in Jamaica and Trinidad, respectively, and not fitting into any parentage exception. It is possible that later line-ups not including Messrs. Brown and Wilson could be eligible, but I haven't checked. Vet with caution if that's your jam.

I remember posting decades breakdown in the US thread before the reveal. Decided to compare. I’m pretty different this time around.

British isles list:
1960s - 10
1970s - 9
1980s - 4
1990s - 4
2000s - 3
2010s - 1

US list:
1920s - 1
1940s - 1
1950s - 8
1960s - 9
1970s - 4
1980s - 2
1990s - 1
2000s - 4
2020s - 1

I'm leaning to going with the "song gets points" rather than use it as a tie-breaker, since that was the consensus, unless Binky or simey strenuously objects. To meet in the middle, we could make it worth only two points instead. Thoughts? In the meantime...

RE-ANNOUNCE:

For the ***OFFICIAL*** contest, please send to @Val Rannous your list of the seven (7) artists that you believe will round out the top 10 along with Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Rolling Stones. Also include the song that you believe will receive the most points, other than songs from the Big Three. The winner will be the one who guesses the highest number of artists correctly. TO COME [The tiebreaker will be the person whose seven choices score the most total points.] If we need another tiebreaker after that, it will be arbitrarily and capriciously decided by me.

Winner gets a donation to charity of his/her choice in an amount to be determined by me based on whether I have a job at the time, but in no case less than $250.

I need to spend more time on the Super-Awesome-Mega-Contest!!!111. I'd also like to have a few more lists in so that I can make sure that I choose the questions and answers with a good sense of some of the results. I will post it no later than this weekend, so everyone will still have at least a week to submit answers.

I'll get my list in early and love the reveals and playlists, but not sure I'll participate in the math. I'm in over my head on the house building project. Almost three years of detailed, careful unrealistic planning is... bla bla bla. Murphy's law mocks me. No sad faces. It's a comedy of errors, but a comedy indeed. In 10 minutes my electrician and I are getting a two hour tutorial on operating a rented crane from its owner who is 90 (lol). My heavy equipment operator, who I've known since kindergarten, pulled out for health reasons. I've been watching Youtubes since yesterday morning. We got this, right? Right? Wcpgw?

I remember posting decades breakdown in the US thread before the reveal. Decided to compare. I’m pretty different this time around.

Ah yes, this is interesting. I'll be curious to see how these shake out.
My British isles list by decade:
1960s - 4
1970s - 3
1980s - 12
1990s - 9
2000s - 2
2010s - 1

flip the 70s and 90s and i think this is me. i still have two spots available though. from almost 80 to 29 and a half dozen competing for the spots.

I'm leaning to going with the "song gets points" rather than use it as a tie-breaker, since that was the consensus, unless Binky or simey strenuously objects. To meet in the middle, we could make it worth only two points instead. Thoughts? In the meantime...

RE-ANNOUNCE:

For the ***OFFICIAL*** contest, please send to @Val Rannous your list of the seven (7) artists that you believe will round out the top 10 along with Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Rolling Stones. Also include the song that you believe will receive the most points, other than songs from the Big Three. The winner will be the one who guesses the highest number of artists correctly. TO COME [The tiebreaker will be the person whose seven choices score the most total points.] If we need another tiebreaker after that, it will be arbitrarily and capriciously decided by me.

I got new glasses today and my reading comprehension is still catching up to the new script. In determining the top 7 artists, is it determined soley based upon sum total of songs submitted with no regards to points assigned to each selection? ... or do cumulative points matter?

Last edited:
I got new glasses today and my reading comprehension is still catching up to the new script. In determining the top 7 artists, is it determined soley based upon sum total of songs submitted with no regards to points assigned to each selection? ... or do cumulative points matter?

Artists are ranked on the basis of cumulative points. You want to choose the seven with the highest cumulative point totals other than the Big Three.

But seriously [folks], I'm coming up way short on lady performers when selecting the elite 7 of rounders.

Also, surprised at the reveal that Led Zeppelin is a top-3 heavyweight. I'd would have guesed that they were in tier 2 along with about four other contenders.

Artists are ranked on the basis of cumulative points. You want to choose the seven with the highest cumulative point totals other than the Big Three.
Gracias. In the end it's probably a subtle distinction and it would shake out similarly either way; but, I can imagine the top dog being someone missing from the Magnificent Seven, easily.

Users who are viewing this thread