What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

I've received several more lists yesterday and today! :pickle: Four of the last five lists I've received have had eligibility issues (and sometimes other problems). We're hitting the homestretch! Don't let down your guard! We need you on that wall!

(and sometimes other problems)
What she really means is: Pink Floyd songs other than Wish You Were Here. :laugh:

:lol: I'm sure I like other songs of theirs. That one just strikes me that when I see it I get it stuck in my head, in a good way.

One "other problem" was having the same song on twice. Same thing happened in the US one (different person). I feel like that one is a chance for me to give good news! You get another choice!

After much urging by me for a few years, OH went to the optometrist today because he can see neither near nor far, which seems dangerous-y. On the intake form, in the spot where it asked what the purpose of the visit was, he simply wrote "eyes shitty," and I've been laughing about that ever since.

Alloysious Massaquoi of Young Fathers was born in Liberia and has no apparent British parentage to make him eligible. I've run out of available characters on post #3 so, I don't know, just remember this or something.

Respectfully... :ROFLMAO:

I would have figured the The Kinks or The Who would be part of the Big Three. I'm not sure why it's obvious that Led Zeppelin, a blues-derivative band, would be among the Big Three. I certainly wouldn't have them there.
I was one of the people who weren’t sure who the third band was in the “big three” (and even asked) - so it wasn’t very obvious to me either.

I would have figured the The Kinks or The Who would be part of the Big Three. I'm not sure why it's obvious that Led Zeppelin, a blues-derivative band, would be among the Big Three. I certainly wouldn't have them there.
I was one of the people who weren’t sure who the third band was in the “big three” (and even asked) - so it wasn’t very obvious to me either.
:shrug: They are the second best-selling UK artist so I thought it was pretty obvious they would be in the Big Three.

If we're talking about popularity among US Gen-Xers (which almost all of us are), Zep is absolutely on par with the Beatles and the Stones. I know you don't listen to "classic rock" radio, but if you did, it would make sense easily.

If we're talking about popularity among US Gen-Xers (which almost all of us are), Zep is absolutely on par with the Beatles and the Stones. I know you don't listen to "classic rock" radio, but if you did, it would make sense easily.

Honestly, in terms of "classic rock radio", Zep is probably #1 by a lot. Then the Stones.

The Beatles didn't hit the classic rock radio stations I listened to all that often (NY area, so 70's/80's era WNEW / WPLJ, etc) and if they did, it was always Sgt. Pepper or later. The Who and Pink Floyd were also played far more often than the Beatles on most classic rock stations.

I think there’s a pretty good argument that The Who is just as big or bigger than Zeppelin. The Kinks, Pink Floyd or even a wildcard like Elton John over Zeppelin wouldn’t shock me either. Honestly as huge as a Stones fan as I am, I'm really not sure that they are a LOCK to finish top 3 either. I’ve actually seen many people on here say they don’t care for the Stones and/or that can’t stand Mick’s voice.

Not that it’s some huge deal - but laughing at some one that wasn’t sure who is in “the big 3” seems odd to me.

Last edited:

:shrug: They are the second best-selling UK artist so I thought it was pretty obvious they would be in the Big Three.
But this is a small sample size of about 30-40 people with different musical tastes. Obviously I get that Zeppelin is huge - where I grew up on Long Island, they were by far the biggest classic rock band - I'm just saying I don't know that we can necessarily expect anything here.

I'm still not convinced the "big 3" in this countdown will actually end up being: Beatles, Stones and Zep.

I'm getting the sense that not everyone involved here is a middle-aged dummy...

But this is a small sample size of about 30-40 people with different musical tastes. Obviously I get that Zeppelin is huge - where I grew up on Long Island, they were by far the biggest classic rock band - I'm just saying I don't know that we can necessarily expect anything here.

I'm still not convinced the "big 3" in this countdown will actually end up being: Beatles, Stones and Zep.
I agree, but I think it's the Stones that might not be top 3. But was it stated for this contest that they will really be the Top 3?

I took it as they were a lock to be Top 10 so you pick the other 7 artists that will make up the Top 10?

I'll put my money where my mouth is.

I will take the field and say one band from the field will finish Top 3 in place of one of the purported "Big 3" of the Stones, Beatles and Zeppelin.

Whoever wants to take me up on it, I will donate $100 to the charity of their choice if the Top 3 finishes (in any order) Beatles, Stones and Zeppelin - if not you will donate $100 to the charity of my choice.

I wasn't either, but as votes were coming in, Krista seemed to be confirming that those were in fact the 3 gobbling up all the points. I could have misread the posts, and in fact it more like @Uruk-Hai was interpreting it, and those are locks to finish at the top and we are just picking the other 7, not that those are locked into the top 3.

I think there’s a pretty good argument that The Who is just as big or bigger than Zeppelin. The Kinks, Pink Floyd or even a wildcard like Elton John over Zeppelin wouldn’t shock me either. Honestly as huge as a Stones fan as I am, I'm really not sure that they are a LOCK to finish top 3 either. I’ve actually seen many people on here say they don’t care for the Stones and/or that can’t stand Mick’s voice.

It depends on what you mean. You say "The Who is just as big or bigger than Zeppelin", which makes it sound like you aren't referencing this particular ranking system, but rather standing in the real world. If that is what you meant, I don't think that assertion is easily supportable.

Then you move on to other artists and seem to be talking about this countdown. I agree this countdown is a wild card, since it is a small sample size in the big picture.

I simply reacted to someone being surprised at Zeppelin being in the heavyweight top 3. Given their real life success, I wouldn't expect that to be surprising to anyone.

But it was all in good fun, not serious business.

Then you move on to other artists and seem to be talking about this countdown. I agree this countdown is a wild card, since it is a small sample size in the big picture.
Yes - I'm talking in context of this countdown since the "big 3" was brought up in this context. I can name 7-8 bands that I think have a legit chance to finish Top 3 so I don't think it's as clear as some are saying. But yes in the context of top 10, I'd be shocked if any of the 3 did not end up there.

I’ll do a full re-announce of the contest when I’m in front of a computer, but this is what I’m going to do:

- Other seven of top 10 artists - one point each
- Top song from non-Big 3 artist - two points
- Top artist overall - one point
- Tiebreaker will be total points from your seven artists selected

But seriously [folks], I'm coming up way short on lady performers when selecting the elite 7 of rounders.

Also, surprised at the reveal that Led Zeppelin is a top-3 heavyweight. I'd would have guesed that they were in tier 2 along with about four other contenders.
I'm surprised that you are surprised. Zep is arguably the biggest rock band of all time.

But was it stated for this contest that they will really be the Top 3?
Well we were supposed to guess which bands will finish 4-10, but maybe I'm taking it too literally.
Nowhere in the contest does it say this.
Earlier on that's the way it was presented but your official contest post does say "round out the top 10" so yes the does not imply the Big 3 finishes top 3 necessarily - so my bad. Anyway....

I’ll do a full re-announce of the contest when I’m in front of a computer, but this is what I’m going to do:

- Other seven of top 10 artists - one point each
- Top song from non-Big 3 artist - two points
- Top artist overall - one point
- Tiebreaker will be total points from your seven artists selected

we are always so full of questions aren't we?

* top artist overall - so this includes the Big 3 as well as the other 7 we guess?

signed,
up is down and down is up guy

RE-RE-ANNOUNCE:

For the ***OFFICIAL*** contest, please send to @Val Rannous your list of the following:

1. Seven (7) artists that you believe will round out the top 10 along with Beatles, Led Zeppelin, and Rolling Stones.
2. The artist that you believe will receive the most points overall, including the Big Three.
3. The song that you believe will receive the most points, other than songs from the Big Three.

You will receive one (1) point for each correct answer in #1 and #2 above and two (2) points for a correct answer to #3. If there is a tie, then the person whose choices in #1 above score the most cumulative points will win. If we need another tiebreaker after that, it will be arbitrarily and capriciously decided by me.

Deadline is 11:59 EST on Sunday, January 15.

Winner gets a donation to charity of his/her choice in an amount to be determined by me based on whether I have a job at the time, but in no case less than $250.

I'll put a link to the first charity contest in the first post so that you guys can easily come back to it if you have any questions.

Granted, I don't know who is participating in this thread compared with the Beatles and LZ countdowns, but I feel confident in saying that a Kinks, PF, The Who (seriously?) and probably even the Stones wouldn't get nearly the passion and activity that we got in the 2 that we did.

I won't bet money on it, but I see it Beatles > LZ >>>Stones >>>>>>>>>> everybody else.

And Dr. O - be careful on betting on this - somebody could rig their list :wink:

I will say I'm somewhat speculating on the Stones - I'm basing that on what people say around here. They would be the one in the big 3 that I would expect to get dropped.

The other thing I didn't consider until just now is the number of people limiting an artist to one song. If we could somehow magically force people to submit their 31 favorites even with duplicates artists then I would strongly expect Beatles and LZ to lap the field and with the depth of their catalog probably the Stones too. The couple of artists I'm thinking of that could compete with that don't seem to have that same level of depth (IMO).

The other thing I didn't consider until just now is the number of people limiting an artist to one song.
For the US list, going with one song per artist was pretty painless.

For this British-Isles list, it's been a little tougher but not too bad. As I've whittled down to 40-something songs ... I've only got one double-up. But it's not one of the Big 3 and likely not one of the top 10 either.

Users who are viewing this thread