What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

I love Bowie, one of my favorite artists of all time.

But I gotta say: watching the Grammys, I was stuck by how much Harry Styles is trying to be Bowie. Not necessarily in his style of music (I don’t know enough about that to say) but in his whole persona. He even sounds like Bowie; their voices are eerily similar.

Pip’s Invitation:

Long Snake Moan - PJ Harvey
(new song)

Here's what I said when I took this in the This Is Their Best Song draft:

Round 7:

Long Snake Moan -- PJ Harvey

The essence of her badassery is neatly encapsulated in this song. If you think women can't have BDE, this will change your mind.

It particularly stands out because it appears in the middle of an album that was much more intricate than her previous work.

One specific thing that stands out is the thunderous bass work from Mick Harvey, which is especially noticeable because it was the only track on the album with bass guitar on it.

Here are a few favorites from round #9 excluding repeats and the Foursome.

Everything is good on the list today.

Darklands
Moondance
The Long One
I Can't Explain
A Hard Day's Night
Borstal Boys
Morning Glory
Radio, Radio

New to me favorites

This is the Day
Do You Want To
Long Snake Moan

Family style

Mrs. Eephus: Morning Glory – Oasis
I knew she liked this song but was still surprised she took it as her Oasis pick. It was the third single from the album (before "Wonderwall") even though Noel couldn't be bothered to write a second verse.

She loves the racket the band makes and its video with the noisy neighbors. She also says it has the best use of helicopter sound effects since The Lords of the New Church. I've always thought the overload of overdubbed guitars anticipated the direction the boys would take on their next album Be Here Now.

@ditkaburgers: I Took A Little Something – Version – Florrie
We interrupt today's Geezerpalooza for a lass from Bristol who also plays the drums. Florrie is another artist I repped to ditkaburgers when she was away at college because the sunny dancepop seemed to be right in her wheelhouse. ditkaburgers acknowledged this but says her main recollection about this song was hearing it on an H&M commercial and racking her brain trying to remember what it was in those dark ages before Shazam.

Eephus: This Is The Day - The The
This extraordinary song has been significant for me since I was a young person who "didn't wake up this morning 'cause (I) didn't go to bed" to now as an old guy "left alone with (my) memories that hold (my) life together like glue." It's a song of small wonders that are nonetheless cast with melancholy.

Matt Johnson's music as The The generally gets lumped in as Post-Punk and I suppose a lot of his catalog fits that broad description. But "This Is The Day" with it's unusual fiddle and accordion accompaniment has a timeless quality. Fun fact: the squeezebox was played by Wix Wickens who's played longer with Paul McCartney than anybody else.

Last edited:
Eephus: This Is The Day - The The
This extraordinary song has been significant for me since I was a young person who "didn't wake up this morning 'cause (I) didn't go to bed" to now as an old guy "left alone with (my) memories that hold (my) life together like glue." It's a song of small wonders that are nonetheless cast with melancholy.

Matt Johnson's music as The The generally gets lumped in as Post-Punk and I suppose a lot of his catalog fits that broad description. But "This Is The Day" with it's unusual fiddle and accordion accompaniment has a timeless quality. Fun fact: the squeezebox was played by Wix Wickham who's played longer with Paul McCartney than anybody else.
Huge fan. I've seen him 4 or 5 times and he always features a great band. This is one of his best songs.

They were one of the groups I debated on for top 10 but didn't see them doing this well. I realize they've peaked but they seem like a good bet to stay top 10.
I'm surprised that you're surprised because i figured they would be closer to 3 than 11. Originally I may have included them in the Big 4.
Agreed, in fact I want a list of drafters who didn't put the big 3 + The Who, Bowie and Elton on their list. So they can go on my own "special" list.
No Beatles or Zep on my list :hey:
Of the 6 he listed i took 3, and I only had 1 of the Big 3

Last edited:
It sounds slightly ridiculous to me.
What does this mean?
He's probably the most diverse musically in his output than any other artist selected.
I don't have any idea what Andy is thinking, but - to me - The Beatles were at least as diverse in a much shorter period of time. I'm sure some here would include The Kinks, too. Nothing against Bowie, but his "musical chameleon" title gets overblown IMO.

I've wondered about this too. I had a Bowie song on my list and enjoy several of his songs but stylistically he seems similar in most of the music I'm familiar with. Which to be fair, isn't nearly as deep as the other top 10-15 groups.

It would be interesting to take the top 10, 20, 25 or so and have everyone rank them after we are done.

The song I have next is one that has a decent amount of meaning to me and one that I love but honestly the artist is one that I don't listen to a lot. I'll listen to what I'll call the Big 2 and a few others artists on this list much more than the rest. This is why I forced myself to pick a single song per artist.

Known-to-me favorites from #9:

Where The Streets Have No Name -- U2 (Falguy)
Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding (Doug B)
Time of the Season -- The Zombies (Ilov80s)
Abbey Road Medley -- The Beatles (Binky)
Sunday Bloody Sunday -- U2 (Krista4)
Ramble On -- Led Zeppelin (Hov34)
What Is Life -- George Harrison (Shuke)
Bang a Gong -- T. Rex (Val Rannous)
I Can't Explain -- The Who (Marco)
Comfortably Numb -- Pink Floyd (Simey and Yankee23Fan)
Rock the Casbah -- The Clash (jwb)
Train in Vain (Stand by Me) -- The Clash (Chaos34)
Radio, Radio -- Elvis Costello (Rockaction and Worrierking)
Sultans of Swing -- Dire Straits (DrIanMalcolm)
I Don't Need No Doctor -- Humble Pie (Zamboni)
Black Dog -- Led Zeppelin (Manster)
Freedom! '90 -- George Michael (Mrs. Rannous)
Moondance -- Van Morrison (Mt. Man)

Last edited:
I was in the supermarket and only had one earbud in but I don't believe I've ever heard that version of the Abbey Road medley

I definitely have never heard that live Jeff Beck cut before. It was interesting to listen to his solo re-use elements of his solo from the album version.

Surprisingly (because the artist is well known and has had more than one song chosen here), my #1 song has not yet been selected. :excited:

Same, but my song isn't a big one of the band in question.

Also unsure how Unfinished Sympathy is mine. While Mezzanine was a pretty big hit album here, that was the song everyone here associates Massive Attack with. Heck, at the turn of the century our biggest pop station did a pretty significant listener poll of best tracks ever and it came #1

Glad to hear "Unfinished Sympathy" make the countdown. The previous Massive Attack songs have been from the Mezzanine album but their debut Blue Lines has always been my favorite. It was a groundbreaking album that took bits and bobs from a bunch of genres and molded them into something new and exciting.

ETA: corrected from "Bittersweet" due to a recent overdose of Verve

I was in the supermarket and only had one earbud in but I don't believe I've ever heard that version of the Abbey Road medley

Oh no! I haven't listened to the playlist yet today so am not sure what it sounds like. If it's some weird version, that's my fault. Hawks was having trouble finding it (think he was looking for "Abbey Road medley") so I looked for it and sent that link to him. Since the lads called it "The Long One" and it appeared to be approx. the right length, I assumed that was it, but didn't listen to confirm.

Oh no! I haven't listened to the playlist yet today so am not sure what it sounds like. If it's some weird version, that's my fault. Hawks was having trouble finding it (think he was looking for "Abbey Road medley") so I looked for it and sent that link to him. Since the lads called it "The Long One" and it appeared to be approx. the right length, I assumed that was it, but didn't listen to confirm.

I'll listen again with both ears.

This one is already taken, too. :cry:

Oh, just be Harley Quinn like you always were going to be and get it over with. ;)

In all seriousness, were Blossom or Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls taken? Would that count?

I don't see Harley Quinn on the list, so I guess she's available. I'll have to read about her. Superheroes are not my forte.

Looks like Buttercup is taken, but Blossom is available due to a recent departure from the company. Maybe I could figure out a way to get the "Rocket Raccoon" or "Squirrel Girl" people fired.
Is Usagi Yojimbo available? Stan Sakai's site has all the details. It's one of the most beautifully drawn comics. The original artwork section is wonderful.
No way!....I actually have an Usagi Yojimbo #1 (I think) comic in a box in my basement!
One of my all time favorites, and one of the few comics I still collect. Here's Usagi mounted and framed and hanging in my game room:

Val

Oh, just be Harley Quinn like you always were going to be and get it over with. ;)

In all seriousness, were Blossom or Buttercup from the Powerpuff Girls taken? Would that count?

I don't see Harley Quinn on the list, so I guess she's available. I'll have to read about her. Superheroes are not my forte.

Looks like Buttercup is taken, but Blossom is available due to a recent departure from the company. Maybe I could figure out a way to get the "Rocket Raccoon" or "Squirrel Girl" people fired.
Is Usagi Yojimbo available? Stan Sakai's site has all the details. It's one of the most beautifully drawn comics. The original artwork section is wonderful.
No way!....I actually have an Usagi Yojimbo #1 (I think) comic in a box in my basement!
One of my all time favorites, and one of the few comics I still collect. Here's Usagi mounted and framed and hanging in my game room:

Val

Is that a rabbit?

They were one of the groups I debated on for top 10 but didn't see them doing this well. I realize they've peaked but they seem like a good bet to stay top 10.
I'm surprised that you're surprised because i figured they would be closer to 3 than 11. Originally I may have included them in the Big 4.
Agreed, in fact I want a list of drafters who didn't put the big 3 + The Who, Bowie and Elton on their list. So they can go on my own "special" list.

What people think are the "obvious" choices definitely vary a lot across our 45 drafters. I remember at the beginning that shuke insisted that there was a Big 4 that everyone should have, and his Big 4 added an artist - Pink Floyd - that you don't have on your list of six must-haves.

Probably because I wasn't high when I typed it?

Family style

Mrs. Eephus: Morning Glory – Oasis
I knew she liked this song but was still surprised she took it as her Oasis pick. It was the third single from the album (before "Wonderwall") even though Noel couldn't be bothered to write a second verse.

She loves the racket the band makes and its video with the noisy neighbors. She also says it has the best use of helicopter sound effects since The Lords of the New Church.

Incorrect

Surprisingly (because the artist is well known and has had more than one song chosen here), my #1 song has not yet been selected. :excited:

Ohhhh, that makes me wonder...how many people will get to "own" their number one songs? I'm gonna go count.

Here are the tallies:

People whose #1 has already been revealed: 23
People whose #1 has yet to appear, but will be revealed before we get to the last round: 10
People who get to own their #1 songs: 12

I'll listen again with both ears.

I just poked through it and hear that they put "Her Majesty" in there. It was intended to be in the medley and then snipped at the last minute, but the engineer put it at the end of record as maybe the first(?)* "Easter egg" on an album. So someone's just put it back in where it was originally intended.

*No idea if this part is true, but I've read this allegation.

Val

Is that a rabbit?
Yep! The English translation of "Usagi Yojimbo" is "Rabbit Bodyguard". The stories are roughly based on the tales of Miyamoto Musashi (as is the film Yojimbo), just told with cute animals.

Really liked the Massive Attack song on my first listen. When I listened a second time I got bored and skipped the last minute+. Guess it's a sing I need to be in the mood for.

I noticed it too, Her Majesty comes in after Mean Mr Mustard

It was a little different, but nothing jarring. I think there were some gaps in lyrics, but not being a lyric guy that's optimal to the medley getting cut off by ads transitioning from one part to the next since I won't pony up for premium :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread