What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

God I hate having to buy gifts for my wife... (1 Viewer)

wife says she wants to go to brunch somewhere :thumbup:   this just happened

me: where?

her: i don't care

me: ok, i'll call X and make a reservation

her: no. too expensive.

me: what about Y?

her: i heard that place doesn't have a good brunch

me: Z looks nice...?

her: we went there once and it was a really long wait

me: ok, here's a list of all the places doing Mother's Day brunch on Sunday. tell me where you want to go.

her: why don't you look and pick one.. why do i have to make the decision, it's Mother's Day... i shouldn't have to decide where you take me.

me: :wall:
Meanwhile, joke’s on you both.

I don’t know where you live, but I’ve never been in a city where it was not nigh impossible to get brunch reservations unless you are booking in, say, June the year before.

Which is why we’re doing Mimosas and trichinosis at Denny’s this Sunday.

If my notebook is up to date, in Furls'wife-ese "too expensive" really means "I've backed into the neighbors SUV again, honey."
i think you mean "our idiot neighbor parked her car right behind where she knew i had to back up. so when the car was backing up, the sun got in my eyes and the kids were yelling at me and somehow that dumb #####'s car stopped mine from moving in reverse.... totally nothing i could do and it's not my fault but your half of the insurance payment is about to go up."

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems youre in the minority.  Feel free to post a picture of your "stuff" for the OP. 

:shrug:  Makes the Mrs. and the kids happy. 
OMG- that dog has no face.

https://www.pinterest.com/ashleyesargent/whimsical-world-of-pocket-dragons/
my old man had great sayings and one he used to say was pissing on my lawn doesnt make yours any greener i am just sharing that story and figured maybe some of you would like it take that to the bank bromigos 

my old man had great sayings and one he used to say was pissing on my lawn doesnt make yours any greener i am just sharing that story and figured maybe some of you would like it take that to the bank bromigos 
I tried to take the high road but she kept coming at me. 

Thanks for the reminder though, I shoulda left it alone.

:takesittobank:

My method as well, takes the stress out of the situation. Mother's day my wife wants a new Fitbit, her old one wore out a couple months ago. Her birthday was some expensive clinique makeup it was $27 for a few ounces. It was still less than what I would have spent if left to my own devices. 

The kids will have a harder time with their gift, not sure how they're going to keep quiet for a whole day. Oh well not my problem. 
I send my wife and mother a list of things I want for X-mas/Birthday...I even price it out with Amazon links and best prices.  My Mom loves it, as do I, because I get exactly what I want. My wife calls it "cheating."  Hence why she never buys me anything of my list, and hence why when I ask her what she wants, she NEVER GIVES ME ANY IDEAS.  Hence this thread...

greener than yours

• Sad
Reactions: SWC
I buy my wife a tree every year from myself and the kids and we plant it on Mother's Day. Everyone goes outside and helps. Well, they watch and get in my way while I plant it... oh and they usually ##### about the heat or bugs... oh and my wife usually #####es because I got her the wrong tree even though it is the tree she said she wanted last year while I was planting that years wrong tree... and none of them can agree on the spot... and the ### #### neighbor got his wife diamond earrings... oh and the neighbor kids don't have to plant trees... and...

"Can you all shut the #### up and let me plant this ####ty tree so that I can go inside and get yelled at for picking the wrong restaurant for our Mother's Day brunch!"

For some reason everyone is angry at brunch every year.

I buy my wife a tree every year from myself and the kids and we plant it on Mother's Day. Everyone goes outside and helps. Well, they watch and get in my way while I plant it... oh and they usually ##### about the heat or bugs... oh and my wife usually #####es because I got her the wrong tree even though it is the tree she said she wanted last year while I was planting that years wrong tree... and none of them can agree on the spot... and the ### #### neighbor got his wife diamond earrings... oh and the neighbor kids don't have to plant trees... and...

"Can you all shut the #### up and let me plant this ####ty tree so that I can go inside and get yelled at for picking the wrong restaurant for our Mother's Day brunch!"

Good to know there are families out there EXACTLY like mine. 

I send my wife and mother a list of things I want for X-mas/Birthday...I even price it out with Amazon links and best prices.  My Mom loves it, as do I, because I get exactly what I want. My wife calls it "cheating."  Hence why she never buys me anything of my list, and hence why when I ask her what she wants, she NEVER GIVES ME ANY IDEAS.  Hence this thread...
Wow.  That's passive-aggressive in a nutshell.

:lmao:

My wife hinted a while ago that she really wants a nice bird bath but does not want to spend that sort of money on herself (nicer ones can be a little pricey, but not alarming).  Got her a concrete (or is it cement? I don't know the difference) one today that is lovely and will go great in our backyard.  Cannot wait to put it out there early Sunday and let the kids show her.  

Wow, I always cook/host Mother's Day.  Wouldn't dream of trying to venture out.  Find the favorite dishes of my wife, sister and (before she passed a year ago, right before MD) my mom.  Always enjoyed doing that.  :shrug:
Right on.  Mr R and I went out for Valentine's Day ONCE.  Now we celebrate on a different day.  I'm not standing in line for two or more hours just to eat.

I already did the spa thing.  That was birthday...2 weeks ago.  Hence why I hate this time of year - I have maybe 1 good idea and I burn it on her birthday.

I snuck out at lunch and bought cards from me and the kiddos at least.  I about #### my pants when I was checking out at Wegmans as one of the cards cost ####### $8.95!!!  EIGHT GOD #### DOLLARS FOR A CARD THAT DOESN'T SING, POP OUT, OR GIVE ANYONE SEXUAL FAVORS!  WTF?  It wasn't worth it to go back and pick out another and wait in line again, so I just paid it. 

Maybe I can just circle the price of that card with a red sharpie and be done with gifts?  "Here honey, I bought you the most expensive one I could find."
Aren't your kids little?  You're wasting your free cards years here.

Get a piece of printer paper.  Fold it in half.  Have the kids scribble on it.  Maybe do a trace of their hand or handprint with paint (bonus pts if you do this every year so she can see the hand growing).  Ask your kids what their 3 favorite things about mom are and write the list on the inside of the card.  Then have them sign it.  Done and done.

Fat Nick said:
my wife and her family do this. works out great. they buy each other the things they were going to buy themselves anyways.

except her oldest brother. he just "buys" people candles. or whatever trinket he can find in bulk. calendars, candles, pocket knives. if he can buy a few thousand of them for a cheap enough price, everyone is getting one.

Fat Nick said:
You're screwed, now you have to listen to her for hours on end and hope she drops a hint. 

I totally fell victim to Facebook advertising the other day and bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9CF1ZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_B0m1Cb7K2TVXN

It sure looks cool and I used one of the photos from our professional Easter shoot last year of her and our daughter as the custom photo option.  We'll find out how good it actually is soon, supposed to be delivered before Mother’s Day

Normally, though, she just wants some new appliance or cleaning product she sees on tv.  Last year hurricane scrubber thing 

Fat Nick said:
Hence this thread...
So... Where you at at this point? Has anything in here helped? Which way are you leaning, have you bought anything, do you even care anymore, ..? What's up

I have stopped buying clothes for the wife. Too many swings and misses. I can recall one item of clothing that she actually liked and wore in 15 years of marriage. 

The fancy place she gets her haircut has 20% off gift cards so I'll spend $200 and she'll get a $240 gift card that allows her to save some money she would normally spend for something else she wants.  Son has a soccer tournament all weekend as long as the weather cooperates we should be home mid afternoon Sunday so we'll take her mom out to dinner so they can both have a nice evening out.

Right on.  Mr R and I went out for Valentine's Day ONCE.  Now we celebrate on a different day.  I'm not standing in line for two or more hours just to eat.
Right?  So silly.  Put forth a little effort and make a memorable meal you wouldn't otherwise attempt to make.  No lines, no waits, less money out the door.  

Sunday at Chez Malaise will be blackened salmon, BBQ shrimp, crab legs, asparagus and green beans - all on the grill.  Will be 78 degrees and perfect outside.  We've got a $400+ bottle of scotch we're going to open up to toast and remember my mom, who died a year ago tomorrow.  Wherever she is, I think she's smiling at all of this.

Right?  So silly.  Put forth a little effort and make a memorable meal you wouldn't otherwise attempt to make.  No lines, no waits, less money out the door.  

Sunday at Chez Malaise will be blackened salmon, BBQ shrimp, crab legs, asparagus and green beans - all on the grill.  Will be 78 degrees and perfect outside.  We've got a $400+ bottle of scotch we're going to open up to toast and remember my mom, who died a year ago tomorrow.  Wherever she is, I think she's smiling at all of this.
How do I book a spot?  It sounds groovy.

General Malaise said:
My wife hinted a while ago that she really wants a nice bird bath but does not want to spend that sort of money on herself (nicer ones can be a little pricey, but not alarming).  Got her a concrete (or is it cement? I don't know the difference) one today that is lovely and will go great in our backyard.  Cannot wait to put it out there early Sunday and let the kids show her.  

Congrats on your new mosquito pond. 

She likes Sherry's berries, so Saturday I'll have the kids while she is at work, so I'll try to make them for her with my help.
Well this turned into me making them for her.  Until my wife yelled at the kids for not helping with her mothers day gift!  Oh well it's the thought that counts.  Lol

Join the club. I never know what my wife defines as a gift. New cell phone? Not a gift. New house ware item? Not a gift. I give up. For mothers day I just bought her a baseball chair because she kept saying she wanted one for all our son's baseball games but I'm sure she'll complain that's not a gift either. 
Yep she hated it. First thing she said "I could've bought myself a chair". Way to make me and our son feel like ####. Im done buying her gifts. 

Meanwhile last year we bought her a beautiful locket with their picture inside. She said she loved it. You know how many times she's worn it? 0

Im not wasting any more time or effort buying her things. 

These threads always make me appreciate my wife. The gift giving between us years ago got ridiculous. We decided that it was a foolish waste of money considering our favorite thing to do is travel. So we save the money now and get each other a funny card. Sometimes we might stumble upon something and we grab it for the other, but it cannot be more than 20 bucks. 

Side note. My last birthday card was a picture of an italian man in a speedo. Inside it said hairy buttday. 

Aren't your kids little?  You're wasting your free cards years here.

Get a piece of printer paper.  Fold it in half.  Have the kids scribble on it.  Maybe do a trace of their hand or handprint with paint (bonus pts if you do this every year so she can see the hand growing).  Ask your kids what their 3 favorite things about mom are and write the list on the inside of the card.  Then have them sign it.  Done and done.
Yeah - almost 2 and almost 5.  The $8.95 was my card.  :wall: The LAST time I don't look at the price prior to buying.  I only bought the kids a "real" card because I saw one with a Llama on it that I knew my daughter would love.   (The Llama llama books, if anyone is familiar).  She goes nuts when she sees Llamas.  She pronounces it "llam-mala," which I love.

my wife and her family do this. works out great. they buy each other the things they were going to buy themselves anyways.

except her oldest brother. he just "buys" people candles. or whatever trinket he can find in bulk. calendars, candles, pocket knives. if he can buy a few thousand of them for a cheap enough price, everyone is getting one.
IMO It's the best way.  What gift is better than what you were going to get anyway?

I have an uncle like your brother.  He used to show up to holidays with 5 identical packages.  Every.  Single. Year.  One for my mom and dad, one for my other uncle and his wife, and typically one for my grandmother.  The item differed each year, but the duplication didn't.  My favorite was when he got everyone cooking aprons.  All Denim with lace trim.  My Dad and other uncle were quite confused.

update my lady had seen hms pintoforte before so instead i took her out to dinner at a brewpub place that she likes on saturday and then on sunday we went to a potantical garden that she likes and she got some cards from some little angels and she was very happy and all in all it was a good weekend take that to the bank bromigos 

Fat Nick said:
Wife doesn't have a standard desk and works at any one of 3 different offices in any given day.  I'm telling you - there's no low hanging fruit with her.
Make her flowers . My daughter wanted to get flowers for my wife. So we went to the grocery store. They always have these bunches that are 3 for 12 bucks or 4.99 each. Figured we could grab one of them. Well of course they had zero of those and only had about a billion mothers day bouquets with the cheapest being like 18 bucks. Screw that. When I was getting tortilla shells I saw that they had red and green enchilada shells. Light bulb. 

So I bought one of those salad kits, southwestern taco. Rolled the green tortillas for the stems (key here is to make a slit on the top before deep frying to slide the tulip in also use a toothpick to hold them in a roll while deep frying). Cut the red ones with a scissors into tulip shapes. Deep fry just like tortilla chips. 

Boom. Mothers day impromptu conquering. 

Sorry I am a day late, but file this for next event. 

Also make taquitos with the rest of the tortillas. Who doesnt like taquitos? 

ETA: Oops forgot. Microwave the green ones before trying to roll them! 

Fat Nick said:
I have an uncle like your brother.  He used to show up to holidays with 5 identical packages.  Every.  Single. Year.  One for my mom and dad, one for my other uncle and his wife, and typically one for my grandmother.  The item differed each year, but the duplication didn't.  My favorite was when he got everyone cooking aprons.  All Denim with lace trim.  My Dad and other uncle were quite confused.
:lmao:

fantastic. it wouldn't be so awkward if it were intentionally shticky but this guy passes out the same gift to everyone and acts like it's the greatest thing ever. "these are great! i got one for myself! it has all 365 days on it! and each day is numbered! it's amazing! when one month is done you just flip the page.. and *boom* there's the next month!" and he's dead serious.

my kids don't even want to open the presents anymore. 

we got pocket knives a few years ago. actually not a bad gift for the guys. maybe not so great for 6, 5 and 4 year olds :shrug:  

So... Where you at at this point? Has anything in here helped? Which way are you leaning, have you bought anything, do you even care anymore, ..? What's up
So we traveled to Pittsburgh for Mother's day to see her mom.  Being totally honest, that made planning much for her difficult because we already had that weekend planned.  Ultimately I told her that her gift was an NYC trip with at least my son (daughter TBD since she's so young).  I told her I wanted to jointly figure out what we could/should do, but that I already talked to my parents to see when they can watch my daughter if we want to go with a lighter group.  I also cooked dinner when we got home, got the kids clean, and gave her a nice foot rub.  That seemed to at least be sufficient.  Still, I personally feel like it wasn't enough, but...

Make her flowers . My daughter wanted to get flowers for my wife. So we went to the grocery store. They always have these bunches that are 3 for 12 bucks or 4.99 each. Figured we could grab one of them. Well of course they had zero of those and only had about a billion mothers day bouquets with the cheapest being like 18 bucks. Screw that. When I was getting tortilla shells I saw that they had red and green enchilada shells. Light bulb. 

So I bought one of those salad kits, southwestern taco. Rolled the green tortillas for the stems (key here is to make a slit on the top before deep frying to slide the tulip in also use a toothpick to hold them in a roll while deep frying). Cut the red ones with a scissors into tulip shapes. Deep fry just like tortilla chips. 

Boom. Mothers day impromptu conquering. 

Sorry I am a day late, but file this for next event. 

Also make taquitos with the rest of the tortillas. Who doesnt like taquitos? 

ETA: Oops forgot. Microwave the green ones before trying to roll them! 
That's pretty cool - Reminds me of one of my GOOD gift ideas.  

After our wedding, my mother-in-law threw her bouquet away.  My wife was trying to dry it, and had it hanging in a closet and her mom found it, and just threw it away.  Why she did that is beyond me because the woman doesn't throw ANYTHING away.  (I used a bottle of rubbing alcohol made in 1984 to apply a screen protector to her phone this weekend, and she had a winnie the pooh plate for my kids that belonged to my wife when she was a kid, 30+ years ago...) but anyway, my wife was really bummed about that.

I found a guy on Etsy who made paper mache flower bouquets - he basically reproduced her wedding bouquet out of paper and I gave her that for our 1st (paper) wedding anniversary.  It was flat out amazing.  

Speaking of which, our anniversary is June 4th - I guess I have to get started thinking of something else to get her...

I just make it a habit. Like remembering someone's name. It takes practice. I used to never remember peoples' names and would forget right away, but am totally mindful of it now and have gotten better with practice. Same with gift giving. Now, whenever I'm somewhere, I'm always on the lookout. I have two nice little leather bags/purses for my sister in my closet. I haven't seen my sister in MONTHS, and bought the bags back in February for no reason. But check it out - I happen to be seeing her this Friday at a wedding rehearsal. Boom, now I have two little gifts to give her. And it's not even a gift-giving occasion.

I do the same thing with greeting cards. I have like EIGHT Valentine's Day cards ready whenever I need them. They don't say Valentine's Day, they just say "I love you" or whatever BS. But I already have the cards. Hell, I even have two cans of organic sprayable maple syrup in my cupboard. Organic. Sprayable. Maple. Syrup. Why? Because they look attractive, they're kind of a little novelty, they're high-quality, and would make perfect little gifts. I have no one reason or person to give them to yet, but when I need a little random gift they will be right there for me; like gift-giving ammunition. Two little first responders.

Everywhere I go I am always on the lookout for potential gifts that I hoard year-round for when I need them. It's taken practice, just like remembering peoples' names. But the more I do it, the better I get. And now I can walk into any women's makeup shop, sports apparel store, jewelry store, farmers' market, nail salon, shoe store, Pier One Imports, Home Goods, any grocery store in the country - you name it. And I succeed. And people love me for it, and I live life like a champion.

While this probably won't apply for some of you here whose wives are pretty nuts (won't comment on mine, fwiw), but......

Ordered a gift for her this year from our son that was pretty neat.  Nothing crazy or too expensive but I'm finding I might go this route in the future.

We ordered an electric crepe maker from Amazon for ~$30.  Why?   Well, whenever we go on a trip or vacation, we invariably find a crepe place as a snack or breakfast one day and always enjoy it.  So I figured why not pick one up for home.  It's otherwise something we would never buy.

She opened it yesterday and we all took turns trying to make crepes for the first time.  Batter is super simple.  You can fill it with anything.  And it's pretty "fun" without making too much of a mess.  And yes, I know you can make them on a frying pan, but it turned out as a nice little gift.

A couple years ago, we did the same thing with a panini maker.  Again, like $25 on Amazon so not a big deal but it's just a nice small appliance you can whip out and make stuff you usually don't make at home.  It's gotten use and we've enjoyed it.

So, if you're looking for a gift and enjoy doing anything in the kitchen, find a "niche" appliance that you otherwise would never buy and gift it.  There's a whole bunch here

High-end rice cooker is a nice niche appliance too. My mom uses the one I gave her on a daily basis. DAILY. And is always sending me pictures of her food. She makes herself everything from white rice, brown rice, and risotto, to black eyed peas, lentils, and oatmeal.

While this probably won't apply for some of you here whose wives are pretty nuts (won't comment on mine, fwiw), but......

Ordered a gift for her this year from our son that was pretty neat.  Nothing crazy or too expensive but I'm finding I might go this route in the future.

We ordered an electric crepe maker from Amazon for ~$30.  Why?   Well, whenever we go on a trip or vacation, we invariably find a crepe place as a snack or breakfast one day and always enjoy it.  So I figured why not pick one up for home.  It's otherwise something we would never buy.

She opened it yesterday and we all took turns trying to make crepes for the first time.  Batter is super simple.  You can fill it with anything.  And it's pretty "fun" without making too much of a mess.  And yes, I know you can make them on a frying pan, but it turned out as a nice little gift.

A couple years ago, we did the same thing with a panini maker.  Again, like $25 on Amazon so not a big deal but it's just a nice small appliance you can whip out and make stuff you usually don't make at home.  It's gotten use and we've enjoyed it.

So, if you're looking for a gift and enjoy doing anything in the kitchen, find a "niche" appliance that you otherwise would never buy and gift it.  There's a whole bunch here
listen to daddy warbucks here well brohans a few years back for moms day i made my lady a do it yourself panini maker i used a hinge from and old screen door and two irons you take the two irons and you use a couple of sheet metal screws self tapping if you can find them to connect the bottoms of the irons to one another so that they sort of open and close if that makes sense then you have to build a little wood base for the bottom iron which will be upside down out of 2 x 4 scraps then you plug both of the irons in and you put some bread down first then cheese or peanut butter heck you could even do some tater tots in there or whatever else you want down top it off with another piece of bread and then close the top iron down you let that sucker simmer away for 5 to 7 minutes and you got a panani for your lady lookin like you sit on wicker furniture in an ivory tower now a couple of notes for you amateur panini makers out there when you set yours up you definitely want them on linen anything else will burn the bread before the cheese and tots get done and you definitely do not i repeat do not want the steam setting on it makes a huge mess that does not smell good and sets off fire alarms anyhow there you have it another riddle solved by the old swcer take that to the bank bromigos 

ps i found the irons at the dump and i bet that hinge was in  my garage for thirty years total cost was zero i repeat zero dollars take that to the bank brochachos

Users who are viewing this thread