What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

God I hate having to buy gifts for my wife... (1 Viewer)

not even that. someone else touching her hands? are you kidding me?? might as well drop a bucket of cow manure on her heard a la Double Dare.
Our wives could be related. 😄

Seriously I am thinking about get my wife an Ancestry kit. It is really a tough call because my wife is adopted and I am afraid how she will react. I know it is something she has mentioned she is really curious about. 

wife says she wants to go to brunch somewhere :thumbup:   this just happened

me: where?

her: i don't care

me: ok, i'll call X and make a reservation

her: no. too expensive.

me: what about Y?

her: i heard that place doesn't have a good brunch

me: Z looks nice...?

her: we went there once and it was a really long wait

me: ok, here's a list of all the places doing Mother's Day brunch on Sunday. tell me where you want to go.

her: why don't you look and pick one.. why do i have to make the decision, it's Mother's Day... i shouldn't have to decide where you take me.

me: :wall:

New one I've turned to lately:

Find a floral shop that sends out pots or baskets of live flowering plants that can be transferred to the flower bed, garden or other pots when she's done admiring them.  Perfect gift for spring time.

me: ok, here's a list of all the places doing Mother's Day brunch on Sunday. tell me where you want to go.

her: why don't you look and pick one.. why do i have to make the decision, it's Mother's Day... i shouldn't have to decide where you take me.

HTH GB

Interesting.  My wife's not really into all the foo-foo stuff either but occasionally she'll like a day getting a facial/massage.  I usually use my hotel points to find her a local spot she can go relax at after and not have to deal with our minions for 24 full hours.

So your wives and kids don't like anything stupid at all. I assume all your stuff is from Tiffany? 
Oh hell no. It's been almost ten years and we both hate gifts and holiday-mandated gift giving. Think the last thing I got her was probably a video game. We aren't married, though reading this thread maybe we should be lol 

Fat Nick said:
She does the photo books for every trip we take, and also for each of the kids 1x per year.  We've got like 10 of them.  I love them and agree they're awesome - we do those for the grandparents as gifts a lot.

The spa day is basically what I did for her birthday.  Brunch, Went to look at a new car for her (haven't bought yet, but close), Spa, Lunch, home for naps (which we never get).

I think I need to heed your middle comment - just get her something.  I'm my biggest critic when it comes to that as I feel like I should have that perfect gift.  
NAPS?!?!

This is the sort bull#### I'm talking about.

Shove an egg salad sandwich in her purse on Sunday morning on your way out to do something YOU want to do with a note attached. 

"Dear Sir or Madame,

This is what I picked for brunch so you didn't have to decide.  I'll be at the bar.  See you later! 

Cordially,

Furls"

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a gift but something we both worked on,  would be a good gift though.

If you have a landscape photo from a memorable trip you were on, doesn't have to be an amazing quality shot, download the Topaz Studio software (free) and convert the pic to something with the many filters they have, like Cezanne or Van Gogh. They have a ton. Then have it printed on canvas.

I'd love to help out. My girl is on her way over right now. So I can't delve. But would love to participate tomorrow when I've got more time. I think I can help you change your game for the good. I used to be the same way. :Brainstorming engaged: Until then, have a great night.

Just a few prelims, what type of dude are you, like.. what gifts do you like to receive. How familiar are you with women's brands (of anything). When's the last time you went to the mall by yourself.

As a general rule, I try not to get into the world of trying to understand what women are thinking, but based on this, it sounds like Restaurant X might be your play here. "Too expensive? Nonsense. Not for the greatest mother in the world!"

Of course, you know her better than I do. So scratch all this if "Too expensive" really does mean "I'm going to be pissed at you for this".

Wife is a huge Game of Thrones fan. I've never watched it. The Rays have a promotional weekend with GOT tshirts giveaway. She keeps saying she wants to go to get a shirt. I figure I'll surprise her with a shirt. So I go to Amazon...

1. First attempt. I see Mother of Dragons, I figure she'll like that. I check one of her other shirts in the closet to get the size. L. 

It comes. I give it to her. FAIL on 2 counts- she is a Jon Snow fan and I ordered a womens L which is too small. RETURN.

2. So a little research shows Jon Snow has something to do with Winter. Reorder a Winter is Coming in a men's L. I give it to her. "We live in FL, I can't wear a black tee you idiot!" RETURN.

3. Ok, I'm gonna pick one out I like- I'm not sure what this has to do with GOT but I find one that says, "I drink and I know things." Perfect, right? I give it to her. "Are you crazy?  I can't wear that! Don't ever buy me another piece of clothing- ever!" RETURN.

When will I learn?

To my wife, Naps >>>>>> 90% of the things I can buy her.  Girl LOVES her naps.  Since kids, she doesn't get nearly as many as she'd like.  

This shows both a) how much she loves naps, and b) why it's so hard to get her stuff that she'll actually like or care about.  

There's no way I'd get her one of those figurines, or any other nicknack.  I had more random shelf-sitters than she did when we moved in together.  She's purged all of them at this point.  

Agree that gift giving can suck. We are at a point where we are trying to get rid of "stuff" so brining in new stuff is not our thing. My wife is very earthy crunchy and charitable. Volunteering, recycling, organic food, composting yadda yadda. For her last birthday I made a donation in her name to the dog rescue that we adopted our dog from(each of the kids contributed a little too). She loved it :shrug:  I'll likely just pick another charity she is passionate about and do the same for mothers day from the kids.

If you're ever on vacation somewhere where they sell stuff you can't necessarily buy at home be on the lookout for your wife checking things out, then passing on buying maybe because its too expensive or whatever. Then find an opportunity to buy it without her knowing, sneak it home, and surprise the hell out of her by giving it to her months later.

I've never done this btw because I'm lazy and forgetful, but the idea is $.

My wife told me a few years ago that she really wants the Harry Potter box set in hardcover.  My kid is just getting to the age where he'd really enjoy the stories so I'm buying that for her for Mother's Day.

But I agree, I hate having to shop for gifts for your wife.

My wife told me a few years ago that she really wants the Harry Potter box set in hardcover.  My kid is just getting to the age where he'd really enjoy the stories so I'm buying that for her for Mother's Day.

But I agree, I hate having to shop for gifts for your wife.
Also, my kid is donating $20 to a reading charity in my wife's name.

Fat Nick said:
 birthday April, Mother's day in May, and our anniversary in early June.  
I have this exact same gambit every year.  April bday, May mother's day, Anniversary the next month.  I 100% feel your pain, and after it's gone, I feel relief for a few months, then March rolls around... 

My wife also doesn't have a hobby and is extremely cost conscience, making gift buying impossible... 

I'd love to help out. My girl is on her way over right now. So I can't delve. But would love to participate tomorrow when I've got more time. I think I can help you change your game for the good. I used to be the same way. :Brainstorming engaged: Until then, have a great night.
Just a few prelims, what type of dude are you, like.. what gifts do you like to receive. How familiar are you with women's brands (of anything). When's the last time you went to the mall by yourself.
https://www.sephora.com/beauty/gift-finder
@Fat Nick

I already did the spa thing.  That was birthday...2 weeks ago.  Hence why I hate this time of year - I have maybe 1 good idea and I burn it on her birthday.

I snuck out at lunch and bought cards from me and the kiddos at least.  I about #### my pants when I was checking out at Wegmans as one of the cards cost ####### $8.95!!!  EIGHT GOD #### DOLLARS FOR A CARD THAT DOESN'T SING, POP OUT, OR GIVE ANYONE SEXUAL FAVORS!  WTF?  It wasn't worth it to go back and pick out another and wait in line again, so I just paid it. 

Maybe I can just circle the price of that card with a red sharpie and be done with gifts?  "Here honey, I bought you the most expensive one I could find."
I've stopped buying cards from the kids and make them make their own card to mom, saves money and she likes it way more.

Going a little weird this year.  I have done the spa/flowers/dinner thing before.  My wife devours just about anything true crime - books, shows, etc.  so my son and I thought we'd send her that Hunt a Killer thing.   Not fluffy and romantic, but we think she will dig it.    Also will do the usual stuff - 4 year old will draw a picture/make a card & pick a flower.  12 year old will make her a nice breakfast in bed she likes.   :shrug:

meh ...I saw this thread and went into the other room and said, "what can I get you that you would really like for Mother's Day honey?" 

she said, "nothing ...oh wait, how about an immersion blender for my salad dressings?

you got it babe.  Love you!  

smell you later!
My method as well, takes the stress out of the situation. Mother's day my wife wants a new Fitbit, her old one wore out a couple months ago. Her birthday was some expensive clinique makeup it was $27 for a few ounces. It was still less than what I would have spent if left to my own devices. 

The kids will have a harder time with their gift, not sure how they're going to keep quiet for a whole day. Oh well not my problem. 

Users who are viewing this thread