What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going to Ireland for a couple days. Never been to Europe. What do I need to know? (1 Viewer)

If you are roaming through the woods and hear a terrible howl, make sure you're wearing your chain-link scarf.

The movie options on international flights are pretty good these days. Definitely bring good earbuds/headphones. IPad is good as on one flight I had everything was cast to your device (instead of a screen in the seat).  I wouldn't sweat this too much.  I'd worry more about trying to grab a little sleep as the best way to conquer jet lag is to not take a nap/sleep when you arrive - much better off powering through until night.  Hopefully when you wake up the next day you're good to go.
I guess I'm bring the iPad just for that. 

Good call on powering through till night. I've only been to the Caribbean when leaving the country so no jet lag whatsoever. This will be new to me. 

I guess I'm bring the iPad just for that. 

Good call on powering through till night. I've only been to the Caribbean when leaving the country so no jet lag whatsoever. This will be new to me. 
Our flight lands at 7am local time.  I plan on taking some Tylenol PM and a shot or two before the leg from NJ to Dublin.

I'll try to leave some beer in Dublin for you.

Couple things about Europe in general that I’d be surprised did not apply to Ireland. 

Expect most things to be smaller. Cars, roads, houses, beds, bathtubs. 

As great as Europe is, they haven’t quite figured out showers over there. If you find that you have a proper shower with fixtures attached to the wall, consider yourself among the elite of the elite. Most of the time you’ll just have a tub with a loose shower attachment you have to hold. Awful. 

I have always found that the way out is pretty easy.  Try to sleep a bit on the plane, but no matter what don't fall asleep during the day when you get there.  Stay up until you'll sleep through the night.  I've always felt fine the next day (the way back tends to be harder for me).

If you're tied up there at night for work events I doubt you'll have much time to explore.   Are we taking, fly in work that night.  Morning free, work at night then fly out the next day?  If so, I think you'll spend that "morning free" sleeping.

Kanil said:
Our flight lands at 7am local time.  I plan on taking some Tylenol PM and a shot or two before the leg from NJ to Dublin.

I'll try to leave some beer in Dublin for you.
Mine lands at 7 local time too. I'm guessing I need to pick up one of those neck pillows. 

And thanks for leaving me some!  :banned:

Then again, I'm going to the Guinness plant. I'm guessing they can make more. 

TheFanatic said:
I will definitely need to be able to make and receive calls. I have a couple small businesses to run. And I'll need to be loading pics and video to Instagram.
Instagram account so we can follow along?

Instagram account so we can follow along?
My gram

Go back a few days and you can see all the gloriousness from the Denver BBQ Fest I just attended. I basically get a press pass and just walk around from pitmaster to pitmaster and get pics of what they are cooking and promote them and the event (and Head Country BBQ sauce as they picked up part of my tab - great BBQ sauce by the way). 

Basically, my feed will be all meat all the time, while my Stories will be filled with the behind the scenes stuff that is not meat related. 

Last edited by a moderator:
even if you can sleep on planes, crash as soon as you can Day 1 and dont do anything of consequence unless you want Days 2 & 3 to be entirely blown

Go check the feed. You'll get it then. 
No offense but between the ads/sponsored posts, the "let me run your Instagram" and the Paleo bots following and spamming me, I didn't make it through the day as a follower. 

There wasn't a single post that wasn't just a blatant advertisement. 

even if you can sleep on planes, crash as soon as you can Day 1 and dont do anything of consequence unless you want Days 2 & 3 to be entirely blown
:goodposting: He's not factoring in the jet lag.  It sounds like he doesn't travel a lot so this is going to throw him for a loop the first day he gets there.  Flying West to East is always the worst. 

No offense but between the ads/sponsored posts, the "let me run your Instagram" and the Paleo bots following and spamming me, I didn't make it through the day as a follower. 

You'll be missed...

I followed as well and got about 10 like notifications from some paleo bot too.

Mine lands at 7 local time too. I'm guessing I need to pick up one of those neck pillows. 

And thanks for leaving me some!  :banned:

Then again, I'm going to the Guinness plant. I'm guessing they can make more. 
Landed this morning. My advice: 

Get a window seat if you can.  We were in the middle aisle and sleep was near impossible (2 tylenol PM and I slept a couple hours) . 

I ended up taking a 45 minute nap and am going to power through bar closing.

You've got to go watch a world cup game while you're here. Pick just about any pub and watch. I'm not a soccer fan but this is so much fun. 

Get a window seat if you can.  We were in the middle aisle and sleep was near impossible (2 tylenol PM and I slept a couple hours) . 

You've got to go watch a world cup game while you're here. Pick just about any pub and watch. I'm not a soccer fan but this is so much fun. 
Pubs are also awesomely fun if there is a GAA hurling or Gaelic football match going. I remember the pubs being pretty intense for Gaelic football, but that was in September closer to the Championship.

I flew into Shannon on the morning Roy Keane was kicked off the national team just before the SKorea World Cup in '02, the last time they were in it, by-the-by. In the Daily Mail, the first 18 pages were about Keane, coach McCarthy & the Saipan Incident. Twas a great pleasure getting up @ 5am to file to the pub in Killadoon with 100 other sleepy souls to watch the matches broadcast @ dawn (or "don" as they call it there) from Korea and to be passed out from drink by 10AM, but we made it thru Group, only to lose on kicks to Spain in the first KO round. But what a time! Just mention "Saipan" at your pub this wk and let the craic roll.

I'm usually an aisle seat guy. I just want to read my book and have easy access to the john if I need it. But that's domestic flying and no real need to sleep. I didn't book this flight so I'm guessing I'm ponying up the extra fee to change seats if I don;t have a window seat already. 

ETA: No seat assignment on my itinerary for the flight to Dublin. Says Checkin to get seat. On the way back it's 20C. Pretty sure that's a window seat. 

Got a tentative schedule:

Day 1

7:00-11:00 am - Guest arrive/Check into hotel

11-3:00 pm - Free Time

3:00-4:00 pm - Early access/preview Meatopia Fest (opportunity to speak with festival chefs)

4:00-10:00 pm - Meatopia fest 

Day 2

12:30-2:00 PM Guinness Storehouse Tour - St. James Gate, Ushers, Dublin 8

4:00-10:00 pm - Meatopia Fest

Day 3:

Guest return home

Next year, I'm staying an extra 3-4 days. That's a pretty tight sched. The good news is, I could probably make them pretty happy after a couple hours at the fest and then I could bail. maybe find a pub with a soccer game?

I'm usually an aisle seat guy. I just want to read my book and have easy access to the john if I need it. But that's domestic flying and no real need to sleep. I didn't book this flight so I'm guessing I'm ponying up the extra fee to change seats if I don;t have a window seat already. 

ETA: No seat assignment on my itinerary for the flight to Dublin. Says Checkin to get seat. On the way back it's 20C. Pretty sure that's a window seat. 
C is always aisle. Near corridor on the right side as you enter the plane (unless you enter behind your seat in which case it is stille near corridor, but left.) The flight crew will tell you in the door if you show the least bit of hesitation

No seat assignment on the way out has the potential to be very bad news (as in, sorry, you get to stay behind or go to Dublin on a less direct flight which will screw up all  your arrangements)

ETA: If you can check in electronically (usually possible up to 48 hours before your flight, at least it should be possible 24 hrs before) do so and get the least bad seat available

C is always aisle.

No seat assignment on the way out has the potential to be very bad news (as in, sorry, you get to stay behind or go to Dublin on a less direct flight which will screw up all  your arrangements)
I thought A was always aisle? I'm confused. I don't travel nearly as often as I used to. 

I thought A was always aisle? I'm confused. I don't travel nearly as often as I used to. 
A is always window, B middle seat (if there), C aisle even if there is no middle seat (which there will be on a transatlantic flight. Also, see my edit of the post you quoted

Balfe Street. 

Knowing how this weekend will likely go, I hope I don't Balfe
Looking at it on a map, you are at least within walking distance of some good spots -- Trinity College/Book of Kells, St. Stephens Green, St. Patrick's Cathedral.  So, it should be easy to get around.

A is always window, B middle seat (if there), C aisle even if there is no middle seat (which there will be on a transatlantic flight. Also, see my edit of the post you quoted
I'm pretty much aiming for a window seat. Any window seat. Just to be able to lean over and snooze. If not, I'm likely going the nap first route. 

Looking at it on a map, you are at least within walking distance of some good spots -- Trinity College/Book of Kells, St. Stephens Green, St. Patrick's Cathedral.  So, it should be easy to get around.
Any fine drinking establishments within stumbling distance of my hotel?

And what about Dublin Castle? That looks close enough to walk to and could get me my castle fix. 

Any fine drinking establishments within stumbling distance of my hotel?

And what about Dublin Castle? That looks close enough to walk to and could get me my castle fix. 
Within stumbling distance of the Temple Bar and Temple Bar district.   O'Donoghue's isn't far either, over by Merrion Square -- that's a pretty famous one.

I only got to see Dublin Castle from the bus.  Looks cool, but not sure what is to see there.

Within stumbling distance of the Temple Bar and Temple Bar district.   O'Donoghue's isn't far either, over by Merrion Square -- that's a pretty famous one.

I only got to see Dublin Castle from the bus.  Looks cool, but not sure what is to see there.
Temple Bar looks like a bit of a hike on foot. Can I get an uber over there?

Temple Bar looks like a bit of a hike on foot. Can I get an uber over there?
Downtown Dublin isn't that big.  How long of a walk is it?  

I'm feeling pretty confident that you'll  find drinking close by your hotel. I don't even think you'll need a name of a bar, just walk and you'll find something up your alley. 

Just got back last week, spent a week there on my honeymoon.  Had a car for the week, great advice in springing for the automatic. Driving isn't that bad.  We started in Dublin, spent 2 days there.  Went to the Guinness factory, was a cool time.  Lots to see there. Also went to the Dublin Castle and took the tour.  Pretty cool history there.  A river splits Dublin, the side the Guinness factory is on is much nicer.  You can walk from one side of the city to the other in under an hour.  It is a flat city which is nice. Temple bar is kinda cool, especially at night.  Cool shopping areas there too.  Lots of homeless walking around though. Just watch your valuables.  We also saw RiverDance (wife wanted to), which was surprisingly cool.

From there we went to Cork, and on the outskirts of there was Blarney Castle.  I kissed the stone, even gave it some tongue. j/k.  But the castle is really cool. Cork is a cool city, but it shuts down early at night. Kinda reminds me of Pittsburgh, with a river surrounding it and hills on all sides, and some military history.

From Cork we went to Killarney for 2 nights.  My favorite place by far.  So much cool stuff and things to do and see.  Highly recommended.  Too much to list. I could literally go on and on about this city.  It borders their National Park, and the Ring of Kerry is there. Also Ross Castle is cool, and you can take horse and buggy rides and boat rides there, and prices are reasonable. Would love to go back and stay a week just in this city.

Then we went to see the Cliff of Moher.  It was late, but still light out, and windy and rainy. At one point, we were the only people there.  Was weird.  A place that you can see was made to hold hundreds, if not thousands at a time, it was just us.  Really cool.  Would have loved to see the cliffs on a sunny day, but the pics we did get were awesome because of the kind of weather we did have.  Very ominous.  

All in all, just awesome.  The people are incredible, the food just ok. Prices are good on most things.  We liked stopping in the middle of no where, getting out, and just walking around the little towns.

Downtown Dublin isn't that big.  How long of a walk is it?  

I'm feeling pretty confident that you'll  find drinking close by your hotel. I don't even think you'll need a name of a bar, just walk and you'll find something up your alley. 
Yeah, I don't think it is that far.  He said he is pretty close to Dublin Castle, and the Temple Bar district is basically across the street from there.

Yeah, by your itinerary, you'll be stuck in Dublin.  Dublin Castle is pretty cool.  Take the tour if you can, it's only about an hour.  Some good history, and you see parts of the place that others wouldn't.  Much of the castle was destroyed, but some of it is still there, connected to newer buildings.  St Patricks Cathedral is in the area, also very cool.  By your time constraints, those two things will fit in your schedule along with just walking around a bit.  You will not need a mode of transportation other than your feet.  Plenty of pubs around.

And if you didn't already know, you will need a voltage converter power adapter so you can safely plug your stuff up.

Users who are viewing this thread