What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going to Ireland for a couple days. Never been to Europe. What do I need to know? (1 Viewer)

Freshly back from Edinburgh and Dublin. So I'm giving you a little Scotland along with Ireland.

- anyone within 2 hours of Stewart/Newburgh airport in New York and not opposed to a budget airline (which isn't too bad for 6 hours) I highly recommend. So much easier getting back to PA from there instead of JFK/Newark. But again, we're talking Norwegian Air so it might not be FBG enough. 

- general stuff. Edinburgh Castle and the Military Tattoo were tremendous. If you could line up a trip there during festival time it's pretty darn worth it. Dublin you need to hit the standard tourist stuff.

As for food/drink:

I'm Edinburgh:

1. Devil's Advocate bar - 300 whisky varieties on the menu. Down a nice little alley off the main road. Need I say more?

2. The Witchery by the Castle - a little expensive and more stuffy but a great "experience" meal. I'd say worth it.

Dublin:

1. The Guinness open gate brewery experience is phenomenal. You need to reserve ahead of time but they've got 4 brews on draft that are experimental and only available at the brewery as well as 2 traveling taps in addition to the standard Guinness list. 8 Euro ticket gets you in the door and your first flight.

2. Long Hall was a great recommendation above. Great atmosphere in there. 

3. Hugo's and Delahunt great restaurant choices. Had an unbelievable steak and short rib at Delahunt.

4. Fade Street has a pretty neat roof top bar to grab an afternoon cocktail.

You really can't go wrong with anything honestly. Get some seafood while there - had some phenomenal oysters. 

Thanks again @jamny for the long Hall recommendation. Made me look very smart when I brought my group there!

Dublin:

1. The Guinness open gate brewery experience is phenomenal. You need to reserve ahead of time but they've got 4 brews on draft that are experimental and only available at the brewery as well as 2 traveling taps in addition to the standard Guinness list. 8 Euro ticket gets you in the door and your first flight.
This is where my event was in Dublin. They had 6 chefs making amazing food outside, and each one was paired with a beer specific to their dish. Some of them were never made before and one was a 150 year old recipe that hadn't been made in 50 years. It was absolutely epic. 

This is where my event was in Dublin. They had 6 chefs making amazing food outside, and each one was paired with a beer specific to their dish. Some of them were never made before and one was a 150 year old recipe that hadn't been made in 50 years. It was absolutely epic. 
There was a single food truck there when we went and I swear I said what a missed opportunity to not develop the outdoor space some more. Really cool spot.

There was a single food truck there when we went and I swear I said what a missed opportunity to not develop the outdoor space some more. Really cool spot.
Yes it was. Albeit a bit confined for what we had going on there. Imagine that space with six 20X20 cooking spaces plus more than 200 people milling about. It was a little tight once the place filled up. 

You really can't go wrong with anything honestly. Get some seafood while there - had some phenomenal oysters. 
Had some incredible prawns in Applecross while I was there.  Felt like the bar at the end of the world.

Get in Thursday at 9:40 am Dublin time. Already have dinner at The Old Storehouse planned before we hit this up:

Pub Crawl

Hopefully hit the Dublin Museum of Archaeology first, or do the O'Connell Bridge walking tour beforehand. Of course, if we can't sleep on the plane, there may be a nap in there once we can get in the room. Can't wait to get there and get rolling!

Of course, if we can't sleep on the plane, there may be a nap in there once we can get in the room. Can't wait to get there and get rolling!
don't do it. you'll be all sorts of ####ed up afterwards.

ride out the first day. hit the bed earlier than normal but try to stay as much on schedule as possible. go to bed at 8 PM if you have to but don't knock out at 10 AM and wake up mid-day.. you're going to be jet lagged like a mother ####er if you do.

don't do it. you'll be all sorts of ####ed up afterwards.

ride out the first day. hit the bed earlier than normal but try to stay as much on schedule as possible. go to bed at 8 PM if you have to but don't knock out at 10 AM and wake up mid-day.. you're going to be jet lagged like a mother ####er if you do.
That's why I already reserved/paid for the pub crawl. Can't be in bed before 10 pm or so. Our plan is to just suck down some sleepin' meds outta NY to make SURE we get some sleep on the last leg over.

Had a couple pints at The Long Hall yesterday. Best pub of the trip so far.  Deeeep selection of Irish Whiskey's as well.  Dinner at Darwin's down the street.  Good, but not great. Boxty's in Temple bar had good snacks.  Oliver St. John Gogarty in Temple Bar fun for afternoon pints and live music.

Everything locked in for our trip. We will cap off my 2 week Europe trip with 3 nights in Dublin. Flying over via RyanAir around noon from Birmingham (staying on broad street the night before to go out). 

Booked an executive room at Trinity City Hotel for the stay. Love the look/vibe (modern/classic with bit of quirk) and the location is perfect. Just outside Temple Bar but highly walkable through the key stuff on both sides of the Liffey. 

Very much planning on hitting Slattery’s for Irish breakfast one morning. 

Half considerign proposing to the GF in Dublin out of the blue (it’s been 15yrs so somewhat of a formality at this point). Would likely have the ring fitted with CZ to minimize risk traveling with it (Ill have been on the move for a couple weeks leading up to this) 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lord Edward Bar and Lounge was my favorite pub in Dublin.  If you get time, head over there.  It's right near the Temple Bar district.  Also, great fish and chips right next door at Leo Burdock.  Bring an appetite.

Everything locked in for our trip. We will cap off my 2 week Europe trip with 3 nights in Dublin. Flying over via RyanAir around noon from Birmingham (staying on broad street the night before to go out). 

Booked an executive room at Trinity City Hotel for the stay. Love the look/vibe (modern/classic with bit of quirk) and the location is perfect. Just outside Temple Bar but highly walkable through the key stuff on both sides of the Liffey. 

Half considerign proposing to the GF in Dublin out of the blue (it’s been 15yrs so somewhat of a formality at this point). Would likely have the ring fitted with CZ to minimize risk traveling with it (Ill have been on the move for a couple weeks leading up to this) 
Best excuse ever for CZ! Run with it while you have the chance!

Or pick up one of those cladagh (no idea how to spell that) rings while you are there. If she is any kinds of Irish or Catholic, she'll love that. 

Either way, it's about time you wife that girl. Slacker!

Back after two weeks. Highlight of the trip for us was definitely the Cliffs of Moher. Giants Causeway was cool but a little underwhelming (false advertising makes it look MUCH larger than it is). Overall, the scenery was beautiful all over the country. We also really enjoyed the smaller towns for the vibe and feel of it all. Kinsale, Dingle, etc.

As for Dublin, never made Long Hall. Had beers all over. For some good pub grub, I liked Bruxelles. Best Guiness Beef Stew was at a place called The Old Storehouse in the Temple Bar district. Also, great food at Davy Byrnes. For a good, cheap breakfast, try the BeanHive. Very few tables, but really good for the price.

Back after two weeks. Highlight of the trip for us was definitely the Cliffs of Moher. Giants Causeway was cool but a little underwhelming (false advertising makes it look MUCH larger than it is). Overall, the scenery was beautiful all over the country. We also really enjoyed the smaller towns for the vibe and feel of it all. Kinsale, Dingle, etc.

As for Dublin, never made Long Hall. Had beers all over. For some good pub grub, I liked Bruxelles. Best Guiness Beef Stew was at a place called The Old Storehouse in the Temple Bar district. Also, great food at Davy Byrnes. For a good, cheap breakfast, try the BeanHive. Very few tables, but really good for the price.
Kinda like Ireland's version of the Alamo, eh? We tried to hit The Storehouse but wound up at The Old Mill due to time constraints. Excellent cottage pie. Also had fish and chips at Leo Burdock's.  Best I've ever had, but still somewhat underwhelming 

Kinda like Ireland's version of the Alamo, eh? We tried to hit The Storehouse but wound up at The Old Mill due to time constraints. Excellent cottage pie. Also had fish and chips at Leo Burdock's.  Best I've ever had, but still somewhat underwhelming 
I wanted to hit Burdock's one day but, with it being so far from our hotel, I was afraid it would be cold by the time I carried it back.

My hotel was about 100 feet from Bruxelles. The whole area was a madhouse when Belgium was playing in the World Cup. And not just at Bruxelles. Every other bar within walking distance was packed with the overflow. 

My hotel was about 100 feet from Bruxelles. The whole area was a madhouse when Belgium was playing in the World Cup. And not just at Bruxelles. Every other bar within walking distance was packed with the overflow. 
Yep, soccer was on while we were there, yet service was still fast. I was impressed by that fact.

Yep, soccer was on while we were there, yet service was still fast. I was impressed by that fact.
Service? I have no idea. I couldn't even get inside. There were at least 100 people standing outside Bruxelles during the game and they didn't have any TV's out there. Just a crowd waiting to react if the people inside started to cheer. 

TheFanatic said:
Service? I have no idea. I couldn't even get inside. There were at least 100 people standing outside Bruxelles during the game and they didn't have any TV's out there. Just a crowd waiting to react if the people inside started to cheer. 
This was just a Chelsea/Liverpool match I believe.  I dunno, I don't do soccer.

just dress up in all green all the time and say troo lee laa dee doo all the time and you will probably get punched out take that to the bank bromigo 

Bump placeholder for details from my trip last week :banned:  

Holy hell, I ####### LOVE Dublin. Hands down tops of the 7 Euro cities I hit on this trip... 

Holy hell, I ####### LOVE Dublin. Hands down tops of the 7 Euro cities I hit on this trip... 
Dublin seems to get a bad rap from people that have visited Ireland but we really liked it too.

[icon] said:

I've only been to one European city so it tops my list too. I loved it, just wish I had more time there. 

jamny said:
Dublin seems to get a bad rap from people that have visited Ireland but we really liked it too.
Not that so much as, whereas Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Barca capture the spirit of their countries/regions AND have the best sights to see, the spirit of Ireland is more diffuse and best captured by landscapes & people & moments off the beaten path. One may capture the spirit of Ireland in Dublin, but not half the charm.

Not that so much as, whereas Paris, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Barca capture the spirit of their countries/regions AND have the best sights to see, the spirit of Ireland is more diffuse and best captured by landscapes & people & moments off the beaten path. One may capture the spirit of Ireland in Dublin, but not half the charm.
Can't argue with that as I think outside of Dublin is even better but I've heard plenty of people say that Dublin sucks and don't bother even going, just avoid it.

Can't argue with that as I think outside of Dublin is even better but I've heard plenty of people say that Dublin sucks and don't bother even going, just avoid it.
My people are in Dun Laoghaire (Dublin's secondary port), which kept me from going str8 to Shannon in my semi-annual visits (cant fly anymore) but i cant argue with those who dismiss Dublin as just another city. Madrid (Prado excepted) is another entirely missable capital that way.

Good point. I was just happy to make it to Europe. 

been to Dublin 3 times , had a blast each time 
not my favorite city in Europe and wouldn't hesitate planning  2-3 day layovers on my way to mainland Europe

only been going to Europe for 4 years and been to 10 countries 

[icon] said:

What were the highlights?

I am going to Ireland for 8 days next May.  Very preliminary itinerary (renting a car):

Day 1
+ Dublin: Guinness, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Trinity College

Day 2
+ Rock of Cashel, Cahir Castle, Blarney Castle

Day 3
+ English Market in Cork; Kinsale

Day 4
+ Ring of Kerry; Muckross House and Gardens; Killarney National Park

Day 5
+ Bunratty Castle; Cliffs of Moher; Doolin Caves

Day 6
+ Galway; Brú na Bóinne

Day 7
+ Dublin: Kilmainham Gaol, National Botanic Gardens, St. Stephen’s Green

Day 8
Flight home

I am going to Ireland for 8 days next May.  Very preliminary itinerary (renting a car):

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6
+ Galway; Brú na Bóinne

Day 7

Day 8
Flight home

That is a pretty solid itinerary.  I'd try to find a way to fit Glendalough in there too if you could (ancient monastic site about an hour south of Dublin).  I'm not sure what I'd cut out though, as it's not really on the way to the other sites.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6
+ Galway; Brú na Bóinne

Day 7

Day 8
Flight home

Comprehensive.

I'm torn between telling you that Ireland begins, not ends, @ Galway and keeping that secret to keep cost in Mayo/Sligo/Donegal low for my retirement .

Promise me to skip Doolin Caves for the Poulnabrone Dolmen (Ireland's Spinal Tap Stonehenge) in order to end Day 5 with dinner time in Galway in order to spend the night there and i'll forgive you. Best pub crawl you'll have i promise.

agree w Don Q about Glendalough (tho i'm partial because Wicklow's the seat of the Doyle family), but you've got a nice plan there. if the wet is kind to ya, you'll come away with great memories of Eire

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6
+ Galway; Brú na Bóinne

Day 7

Day 8
Flight home

For your Trinity College stop I assume you’re touring the Long Room / Book of Kells? That #### was awesome! 

The Gaol is very cool. 

Drimnaugh castle is pretty cool. Last moated castle in Ireland under significant restoration effort. We ended up with a 1:1 tour that was really informative. Very loose. €5/person I think. 

Highlight of my trip was John Kavanagh’s Pub “Gravediggers”. Oldest family owned pub in Dublin (Ireland?).. 8 generations. It’s By the cemetery which is reportedly worth a walk/tour as well.

We Dropped in for a pint of Guiness and bowl of Coddle but landed between lunch (ends 2pm)and dinner (start 6pm)  service so had drinks. Anne Kavanagh sat us and was wicked nice, then Cialan Kavanagh (chef/co-owner) sat with us for a bit and chatted.

Later over in the original pub side he waved us over to his table where he was BS’ing with two old Irish fellas in 80s and 60s. Ended up sitting there bull####ting about Irish history, Anthony Bourdain (Cialan knew him : he featured the pub on The Layover), guiness, Irish pubs, cooking, memphis BBQ, etc. Probably the highlight of our trip. Fantastic conversation. Coddle was incredible as well. 

Pub has OG rules. No TVs. No music (live or piped in). Story goes members of U2 and Cheiftains collected after a funeral and started jamming and were told to knock it it off.. no music at all. There’s reportedly not even a phone in the pub. Just pints and conversation... and it works. 

Consider The Bank for dinner one night. Killer food in an awesome atmosphere (old ornate bank). Pianist is amazing too. Candidly not traditional at all. 

I totally get Dublin lacking The charm of more rural Ireland, but it has awesome sights, and the people were impossibly kind, chatty, and level headed. Never saw a full on drunk Irishman, never saw an altercation. 

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6
+ Galway; Brú na Bóinne

Day 7

Day 8
Flight home

Wow, this was pretty much our itinerary by the day.  Maybe the same travel agency?

Our favorite city by a longshot was Killarney.

Cork kind of reminded me of Pittsburgh, so you might like that too.

Wow, this was pretty much our itinerary by the day.  Maybe the same travel agency?

Our favorite city by a longshot was Killarney.

Cork kind of reminded me of Pittsburgh, so you might like that too.
I just looked at a few online itineraries and this is what they suggested.  Flights are booked, just need to make hotel reservations.

I agree with Killarney being the best.  We stayed HERE when we were there and it was the highlight of my trip.  I honestly wish we'd taken a couple of days extra there.  We ended up doing a horseback ride through the national park there which was tremendous.  10/10, would do again.

I agree with Killarney being the best.  We stayed HERE when we were there and it was the highlight of my trip.  I honestly wish we'd taken a couple of days extra there.  We ended up doing a horseback ride through the national park there which was tremendous.  10/10, would do again.
Yeah, Killarney was great.  I did a jaunting car ride.  Ross Castle is as photogenic as they come -- maybe the prettiest pictures I took on the trip (Cliffs of Moher and Ring of Kerry were too foggy).

Hope this was a good stay - I just booked the same place for June.

Absolutely.  The beach off of Clifden, the top of Conemmara, the Burren, the peninsulas in the SW, the Aran islands.  That's where Ireland shines.  

And the Gap of Dunloe may be the prettiest place on earth.

Users who are viewing this thread