What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going to Ireland for a couple days. Never been to Europe. What do I need to know? (2 Viewers)

Hope this was a good stay - I just booked the same place for June.
Absolutely! The "Tara" rooms are huge. Property Is gorgeous. Breakfast is VERY good. Bar area is nice and the outer patio is cute too. Killer location to boot.

Absolutely.  The beach off of Clifden, the top of Conemmara, the Burren, the peninsulas in the SW, the Aran islands.  That's where Ireland shines.  

And the Gap of Dunloe may be the prettiest place on earth.
I'll take Keem Bay on Achill Island. That would be my lair if i were a Bond villain.

I would like to write a horror story that takes place entirely on the Burren. Not only is that stormy, rocky ground so godly-ungodly but the little villages all have a Sleepy Hollow feel.

Have you been to the Silver Strand south of Croagh Patrick in County Mayo? Surfer beach & sheepin' hills framed by mountains str8out of Middle Earth. That's where i hope to retire.

I'll take Keem Bay on Achill Island. That would be my lair if i were a Bond villain.

I would like to write a horror story that takes place entirely on the Burren. Not only is that stormy, rocky ground so godly-ungodly but the little villages all have a Sleepy Hollow feel.

Have you been to the Silver Strand south of Croagh Patrick in County Mayo? Surfer beach & sheepin' hills framed by mountains str8out of Middle Earth. That's where i hope to retire.
Unfortunately haven't been to either of those places - furthest north I've been is Kylemore.  Keem Bay reminds me of Applecross, though - if I wanted a place of solitude that would be my choice.

I have a picture from the Burren from the end of that 7 mile trail - the kids sitting in the bottom corner with those impossible hills and swirls packing the rest of the frame.  Best picture I've ever taken.  Have a framed print put up in the house.

Unfortunately haven't been to either of those places - furthest north I've been is Kylemore.  Keem Bay reminds me of Applecross, though - if I wanted a place of solitude that would be my choice.

I have a picture from the Burren from the end of that 7 mile trail - the kids sitting in the bottom corner with those impossible hills and swirls packing the rest of the frame.  Best picture I've ever taken.  Have a framed print put up in the house.
what cracks me up though is the Spinal Tap moment of seeing one's first dolmen. the travel photogs must lie on their backs to shoot them because they look as majestic as Stonehenge in the mags but are usually only 3-4 ft tall

Absolutely! The "Tara" rooms are huge. Property Is gorgeous. Breakfast is VERY good. Bar area is nice and the outer patio is cute too. Killer location to boot.
Best breakfast I've ever had was in Ireland. Why is the sausage so good?

Any advice on where to go after Dublin?  I got 13 nights on my hands.  First 4 will be here and the last night will be at the Dublin airport.  Don’t think I’ll have time to do “West Ireland” and Belfast/Scotland, so I think it’s one or the other.

leaning Belfast for 1-2 nights, ferry over to Glasgow and Edinburgh for 2-3 nights and then make my way back.

Any advice on where to go after Dublin?  I got 13 nights on my hands.  First 4 will be here and the last night will be at the Dublin airport.  Don’t think I’ll have time to do “West Ireland” and Belfast/Scotland, so I think it’s one or the other.

leaning Belfast for 1-2 nights, ferry over to Glasgow and Edinburgh for 2-3 nights and then make my way back.
Just missed Fairyhouse Winter, the last race meet of the year. Depends on the weather really. Coach tours to Glendalough or Newgrange, maybe?

Eurotip #1: If you stay in a quality hotel abroad, your concierge will almost always bust a nut to find you something fun to do. Keep your day and night persons well-georged for max enjoyment of any town.

Just missed Fairyhouse Winter, the last race meet of the year. Depends on the weather really. Coach tours to Glendalough or Newgrange, maybe?

Eurotip #1: If you stay in a quality hotel abroad, your concierge will almost always bust a nut to find you something fun to do. Keep your day and night persons well-georged for max enjoyment of any town.
well-Georged

This trip is in June so I have time to plan and I’m guessing the weather will be better.

agree on the hotel.  I’ve been blessed to have spent 10 weeks in Europe this year and I’ve taken a lot of advice from the concierge.

All that being said - I’d still like to hear thoughts about what “loop” to take.  West Ireland vs Scotland 

All that being said - I’d still like to hear thoughts about what “loop” to take.  West Ireland vs Scotland 
depends on who you are. If Ireland or Scotland is in your blood, there is a place in either country that will tune you like a rusty banjo - a vortex of existence you will easily recognize. it also depends on whether you prefer to tell folks your story of seeing the Ring of Kerry even tho you had to drive bumper-to-bumper or your story of waking up on a wool products showroom floor w a dart stickin out yo ###

1.  Newgrange.  Seeing a 12,000 year old structure is a lifetime experience.  On the way up to Belfast along the coast.  

2. Galway - use a day to do the Cliffs of Moher, maybe walk the Burren, see Poulnabrone, then hit Trad on the Prom that night. Next day go walk up the mountain in Connemarra and hit up Kylemore.  Maybe a bike ride to the beach from Clifden. 

Walk the Clara Bog on the way back to Dublin (it's right off the main road).

Blood on the lips, mate.

That's why Irish butter is so good too. Ireland's only culinary skill is making foods which give the lips a feeling like they'd just been in the guts of prey.
Was just gonna say this (blood) about the sausage. Didn't know about the butter. 

Honey at the Trinity is served via intact honeycomb from the hive mounted in a contraption that holds it at an angle so it drips into a bowl.

FYI: that makes for pretty good honey. 

just one of a few details that makes it awesome. The dining room is cool as #### too... you'll see 

Last edited by a moderator:

I am zero help outside Dublin but I suspect many here will accommodate your request. Godspeed.

Dont miss kavanaughs gravedigger for a bowl of coddle and a couple pints of Guinness. Come back and tell us they weren't the best you had in Dublin if not all of Ireland, and I'll Venmo ya the refund :)  

I agree with Killarney being the best.  We stayed HERE when we were there and it was the highlight of my trip.  I honestly wish we'd taken a couple of days extra there.  We ended up doing a horseback ride through the national park there which was tremendous.  10/10, would do again.
That's where my wife and I stayed last year while on our honeymoon.  Easily the nicest place we stayed on our trip, and the best city (town?) by far.  Not even close.

I agree with Killarney being the best.  We stayed HERE when we were there and it was the highlight of my trip.  I honestly wish we'd taken a couple of days extra there.  We ended up doing a horseback ride through the national park there which was tremendous.  10/10, would do again.
double post....

The Guinness in Ireland is the elixir of the Gods.  It's so much better there. 
Sorry but disagree 100%.   The Guinness you get here is imported from Ireland.  I was in many pubs over there and the Guinness brewery itself and the pints I had there tastes EXACTLY like here in the USA when it is drawn correctly.

Sorry but disagree 100%.   The Guinness you get here is imported from Ireland.  I was in many pubs over there and the Guinness brewery itself and the pints I had there tastes EXACTLY like here in the USA when it is drawn correctly.
Agreed.  it's literally all in how it is poured.

Users who are viewing this thread