What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Got hacked. Weird stuff happening. (1 Viewer)

I got something in my spam filter recently with the subject my user ID and password for a website. I got a deep web notification from an ID monitoring company that I use that this ID was compromised, so had changed the password months ago. Assuming this stale user ID and password got traded recently, I got a form "Shut Up and Dance" Black Mirror episode plot threat in the body of the email, mentioning viewing me on my webcam (I only use my phone), non descript "nice web browsing," and "we send a video to your contact list unless you send Bitcoin to XYZ address" extortion request. They're evolving, but the Black Mirror plot to a T was :lmao:  .

I got something in my spam filter recently with the subject my user ID and password for a website. I got a deep web notification from an ID monitoring company that I use that this ID was compromised, so had changed the password months ago. Assuming this stale user ID and password got traded recently, I got a form "Shut Up and Dance" Black Mirror episode plot threat in the body of the email, mentioning viewing me on my webcam (I only use my phone), non descript "nice web browsing," and "we send a video to your contact list unless you send Bitcoin to XYZ address" extortion request. They're evolving, but the Black Mirror plot to a T was :lmao:  .
which ID monitoring company?  I have been thinking about signing up with LifeLock.  

Wait. What?
Yeah, they had followed me from another website that dabbles in dark web stuff and had gotten into my computer, which was using open source software. People thought I was off, but my friends -- that go to computer conferences -- assured me I wasn't wrong. Whoever it was got administrative rights to my computer and could flash me MS Word ####. It was crazy, and I'm glad it hasn't happened since. I don't like talking about it, so I'm going to let it end here.  

It's something like they complete the orders and then do reviews using those order numbers so anyone looking at the positive review will see it tied back to an actual transaction, and their company moves up the rankings with a bunch of good reviews.  You could have kept all those car parts, bro.
Makes sense.  But why all the signups for message boards?

Seems to have stopped.  My only guess is that he wanted to flood my inbox with emails so I wouldn't notice the order emails from Walmart.  But why would he order like 15 of the same thing and have it shipped to me?  
Maybe he thought you wanted them? Maybe its a good guy hacker 

I got that too. Its generic spam. I don't even have a webcam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like $2800 worth of car parts.  Like 15 of the same part.
Hrm....

did you happen to have a disproportionately high amount to drink the night before? 

Not that I have woke up and wondered “why the hell did I order THAT?!” Before :unsure:   I’m asking for a friend. 

which ID monitoring company?  I have been thinking about signing up with LifeLock.  
I use ARAG, which is the legal service that I subscribe to through work. They offer ID Theft protection as a part of the subscription. I add all relevant accounts to the ID Protection portal, and it gives me a notification any time any of my information is traded on the Deep Web.

Not that long ago I needed something, I can't recall now what it was, but I tried to buy something from walmart.com but my credit card would not recognize walmart.com as a secure/legit site so it simply rejected any request and flagged those requests as either invalid or something, I can't recall the exact rejection reason.  I thought I was typing in my CC number wrong at first but immediately afterwards I got text warnings saying "invalid request from non-secure website or something" and I remember thinking "wow."

Basic stuff everyone should do :

Automatic updates/security patches on all your devices, I would suggest not purchasing over WiFi if you can help it, I would consider using a VPN service and a lot of them have apps you can also d/l to your mobile devices, complex passwords but multi-factor for the win. 

Just a few suggestions :

- A lot (I realize not all) but many websites let you purchase as a guest so you don't have to create an account and upload your credit card to the site that resides in their database, just something to consider if you have that option available.  If you purchase as a guest, perhaps use a one-time generated CC number and that way you have executed a more secure purchase and so then your CC, username, etc. isn't stored on a database on that server.

- Anything I'm leery of (like walmart.com), I suggest using a credit card that allows you to generate "one time credit card numbers."  It's really handy and secure, I do that all the time.

- Again, I HIGHLY suggest everyone take advantage of multi-factor and add multi-factor to everything that has the option available, it's free, why not?  I mean, it's not 100% secure, but it's another obstacle.  Gmail, yahoo mail, amazon, pay-pal, e-bay, your bank accounts, your retirement accounts, anything and everything you can, add multi-factor authentication.  

- Article about VPN's

I was hacked a while back, someone got a new iPad and some other gear from Apple on my dime on one card and then right after that someone else got some shoes from Zappos.com that I paid for from a different card - it's a sinking feeling but it could have been a hell of a lot worse.  Will it happen again?  Probably, and I'm not preaching, I'm just sharing some suggestions for people.  

I researched online and saw similar things happening to people through the past year.  I also found that Walmart had a huge security breach back in May.  Walmart should have notified all of its online customers about this.  I'm done shopping online there.

I use ARAG, which is the legal service that I subscribe to through work. They offer ID Theft protection as a part of the subscription. I add all relevant accounts to the ID Protection portal, and it gives me a notification any time any of my information is traded on the Deep Web.
Thanks - I went to their site and it looks like the identity theft is a part of an overall legal insurance plan (which I've never seen) ...is that right?  At $25/mo. and all that included?

i bet that sucker is going to try to come to your house to pick up the stuff when it gets to your porch so maybe keep an eye out to see if you see any shady characters hanging around or do one of those spinning glitter fart smell machines which was so awesome i dont even know what to say about it take that to the bank bromigo 

Something similar happened to me.  Started getting spam on my email, which I NEVER get... maybe 2-3 emails/day.  Then it said I was signing up for some random message boards (like 2-3 of them, not many).  That has stopped, but I still get a few spam emails every day.  Nothing major.

But THEN my Domino's profile got hacked .... had to delete my financial info from it and changed password.  :(

Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this BS.  Hackers are teh suq.

Serious questions...

What is your mom's maiden name?

What was your first pets name?

ETA - This will help me break the case.

They are just using my email address.  Like if I had yours I could sign you up for 400 different message boards.  I don't need your password for that.
This seems different, but we had an account hacked once...they bought a couple small things to he shipped to our address. We were told those were tests, where if we didn't do anything, they'd up the game and alter the address (still not sure how you get away with shipping stuff to an address unless you're stealing the stuff off the porch)

I tell you, Walmart is full of morons.

When I contacted them last night, I explained that 3 different orders were placed, each with a different qty (4 or 5 each).  The person I was chatting with assured me he cancelled all three orders.  I then told him to delete my online account. I got three emails today from Walmart saying that my order had been cancelled.  Good deal.  I then get an email tonight saying that one of the orders (for 4) was shipped.  I was thinking it might be phishing but I verified the tracking number on FedEx.  I went and checked the cancellation emails and they were for qty. 1 each all on the same order.  

I tell you, Walmart is full of morons.

When I contacted them last night, I explained that 3 different orders were placed, each with a different qty (4 or 5 each).  The person I was chatting with assured me he cancelled all three orders.  I then told him to delete my online account. I got three emails today from Walmart saying that my order had been cancelled.  Good deal.  I then get an email tonight saying that one of the orders (for 4) was shipped.  I was thinking it might be phishing but I verified the tracking number on FedEx.  I went and checked the cancellation emails and they were for qty. 1 each all on the same order.  
Call the shipping company and tell them preemptively that you did not place the order, that Walmart did not cancel the order properly, and that you are refusing delivery.

cap'n grunge said:
Wife and I both have lifelock. Get a small discount thru work. Love that it notifies me Everytime I open an account to make sure it is me.
how are the credit card use notifications?  will it notify you if someone is trying to get into a bank or stock account ...or the deal where your information is being "traded on the dark web"?

how are the credit card use notifications?  will it notify you if someone is trying to get into a bank or stock account ...or the deal where your information is being "traded on the dark web"?
I've never had a notification for that. Hard to say if it has happened. Also get notified when sex offenders move in somewhat nearby. There's different levels if protection. I think I just have the basic.

Update: I cancelled my two existing credit cards and got one set of new cards for me and wife.  I updated a few sites with my new cc info (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, a few others).  Well tonight I get a notification from my bank about an online Amazon order charged to my account that I didn't place.  The order doesn't show up in my Amazon account, so they just used the new number on another account.

How the #### is this happening?  Obviously I need to cancel this one now and get another, but what else do I need to do?  
Are you sure that the order was placed with your new CC#? Maybe it was an older order that got pushed through after the CC# was changed?

My wife’s identity was stolen in January 2018. Here is a quick lessons learned.

We got a few letters in the mail with new cards for ancient accounts like New York & co, Gap. Then got a letter from I think Best Buy about a failed account creation. Then a few days later, a cop from Orange County, CA called.

He arrested a man at Kohls, but a woman escaped capture. This guy had a fake MN driver license with this lady’s picture but my wife’s information. Plus a stack of credit adds and IDs if not only my wife but other victims. A few weeks later, this woman was arrested.

Basically, my wife’s SSN was leaked (probably the IRS hack a few years back), and she also had my wife’s mother’s maiden name, and other very private information. The way this team works is they get a fake license created. Then hit a mall, going from Kohls to Best Buy, to Bath and Body, etc. In the hopes my wife has an existing account. She says “I’m on vacation and darn it if I didn’t forget my Kohl’s card”. The cashier looks at the license and asks her to enter the SSN and answer the maiden name question. Or, if nonaccount exists, she opens one!

Kohls allowed this ##### to buy $1200 of crap in one visit. As did a few other places. She also rented a Mustang convertible at Avis in Georgia and never returned it. The cops found it weeks later abandoned in Mississippi or somewhere. Avis sent my wife a lifetime ban letter. So my advice is NEVER rent from Avis, as they gave someone a car with an invalid license and stolen bank card. Nice company right?

We froze my wife’s credit at all 4 agencies.

We went to the social security building to create her login account so we can watch activity. 

We froze her name at Chex Systems.

We spend TONS of time calling all these places to report the fraud and closed all of her accounts.

This woman, named Andrea, spent 6 months in the can in Orange County. We stalk the #### out of her, so we found she got popped in Canton County, MS just after Thanksgiving and is still in custody today.

Jobber said:
My wife’s identity was stolen in January 2018. Here is a quick lessons learned.

We got a few letters in the mail with new cards for ancient accounts like New York & co, Gap. Then got a letter from I think Best Buy about a failed account creation. Then a few days later, a cop from Orange County, CA called.

He arrested a man at Kohls, but a woman escaped capture. This guy had a fake MN driver license with this lady’s picture but my wife’s information. Plus a stack of credit adds and IDs if not only my wife but other victims. A few weeks later, this woman was arrested.

Basically, my wife’s SSN was leaked (probably the IRS hack a few years back), and she also had my wife’s mother’s maiden name, and other very private information. The way this team works is they get a fake license created. Then hit a mall, going from Kohls to Best Buy, to Bath and Body, etc. In the hopes my wife has an existing account. She says “I’m on vacation and darn it if I didn’t forget my Kohl’s card”. The cashier looks at the license and asks her to enter the SSN and answer the maiden name question. Or, if nonaccount exists, she opens one!

Kohls allowed this ##### to buy $1200 of crap in one visit. As did a few other places. She also rented a Mustang convertible at Avis in Georgia and never returned it. The cops found it weeks later abandoned in Mississippi or somewhere. Avis sent my wife a lifetime ban letter. So my advice is NEVER rent from Avis, as they gave someone a car with an invalid license and stolen bank card. Nice company right?

We froze my wife’s credit at all 4 agencies.

We went to the social security building to create her login account so we can watch activity. 

We froze her name at Chex Systems.

We spend TONS of time calling all these places to report the fraud and closed all of her accounts.

This woman, named Andrea, spent 6 months in the can in Orange County. We stalk the #### out of her, so we found she got popped in Canton County, MS just after Thanksgiving and is still in custody today.
That sucks! Can you find her email address and open a ton of message board accounts in her name? 

That sucks! Can you find her email address and open a ton of message board accounts in her name? 
I know her name, kids names, birthdays, boyfriends name, etc. And have pictures of her whole family. She is a prolific social media poster, and makes it all very easy.

I may try to find her email and other information but am not really into stalking. 

ETA: Simply googling a person returns just incredible amounts of information. I was really shocked.

Users who are viewing this thread