What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Game Show Hosts Ranked (3 Viewers)

One of my favorite pieces of Trivia about Game Shows is about the show Pitfall.  I remember watching this show

From wiki

Pitfall is a Canadian game show that aired in American and Canadian syndication from September 14, 1981, to September 1982. The host was Alex Trebek and the announcer was John Barton (who also served as co-producer). The show featured contestants attempting to predict the outcome of survey questions conducted to the studio audience, and the bonus round required scaling a series of eight elevators while answering trivia questions. The show was filmed at Panorama Studios in Vancouver, British Columbia and produced by Catalena Productions, with distribution provided by Rhodes Productions. Due to Catalena going bankrupt in 1982, production of the show ended; as a result, many contestants and staff were never paid.

Catalena Productions, which also produced the 1980–81 syndicated revival of Let's Make a Deal, went bankrupt in early 1982. As a result, most contestants who appeared near the end of the show's run did not receive their winnings, nor was Trebek ever paid for his hosting duties.  Because of this, Trebek commented that the show was an unfavorable experience, as the lack of payment came at a time when he "could have used the money". Trebek has also stated that he has the bounced check for $49,000 from Catalena Productions framed in his office.

Trebek continues to refer to the show as "one of the great tragedies of his life” and has noted that it was the only time that he had not been paid his agreed salary for hosting duties.

(this thread has led me to do some Googling and Wiki-ing ...)

Speaking of Trebek ... I hadn't realized that he hosted several episodes of Wheel of Fortune in the past, including at least once filling in for Chuck Woolery years before doing Jeopardy! 

I also hadn't realized that Pat Sajak and Vanna White came to Wheel so 'late' -- it had already been on the air for seven years with Woolery before Sajak and White came on board in 1982. My memory erroneously tells me that there were very late 1970s episodes with Sajak & White, but I remember wrong.

One more factoid: Wheel of Fortune did try a male letter turner for a few episodes -- Laugh-In alum Arte Johnson. Safe to say Vanna was a big step up.

Dawson was funny and seemed like a genuine  good guy.  Not so sure his kissing would be as acceptable today though.
You know ... I had remembered that Dawson usually kissed them on the cheek. I thought the lip-to-lip peck was just a now-&-then thing.

The world was a different place then. I watched the first minute or so of the video linked, and I did note one woman who seemed uncomfortable with Dawson's kissing. A strong majority seemed outwardly to be fine with it, even anticipating and readying themselves for the fully-expected kiss. But what do I know? The "outwardly fine" thing could have been a lot of defense mechanisms going off.

Or maybe not. The world was a different place then. Expectations and standards really were different. :shrug:  

Doug B said:
(this thread has led me to do some Googling and Wiki-ing ...)

Speaking of Trebek ... I hadn't realized that he hosted several episodes of Wheel of Fortune in the past, including at least once filling in for Chuck Woolery years before doing Jeopardy! 

I also hadn't realized that Pat Sajak and Vanna White came to Wheel so 'late' -- it had already been on the air for seven years with Woolery before Sajak and White came on board in 1982. My memory erroneously tells me that there were very late 1970s episodes with Sajak & White, but I remember wrong.

One more factoid: Wheel of Fortune did try a male letter turner for a few episodes -- Laugh-In alum Arte Johnson. Safe to say Vanna was a big step up.
Yep..I remember Wollery..That's when they won money then had to go shopping for prizes....which were always ridiculously over priced.  And you had to spend every possible dollar.  If you had $20 and there was a ceramic owl available for $14, your ### was going home with a ceramic Owl.

grateful zed said:
1. Gene Rayburn - Match Game is my all time favorite game show.

2. Bob Barker

3. Richard Dawson

4. Bill Cullen

5. Chuck Barris - I loved me some Gong Show.

6. Monty Hall

7. Jim Lange - The Dating Game was way too old for me when I was watching it. :lmao:  

8. Art Fleming

9. Bob Eubanks

10. Bert Convy

Honorable mention - Rip Torn for the $1.98 Beauty Show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Extra points for Cullen, as he was not only blind as a bat (ever notice how thick the lenses were on his glasses?), he also had polio. I know game show hosts aren't known for their mobility anyway, but nevertheless....

Doug B said:
Love Penn Gilette ... but did I miss the game show he hosted?

That first list has a few people like that, as someone pointed out above.
I think Fool Us qualifies.

Joe Summer said:
Vanna has been filling in as host for the past few weeks while Pat was recovering from surgery.

She sucks.
Yes I agree she sucked as a temp host. Figured we were looking at more tenured positions.

Users who are viewing this thread