What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

House of Cards on Netflix (1 Viewer)

really liked the first 8 or so episodes and then it fell off a cliff for me
I wouldn't say it fell off a cliff for me, but I thought the last several episodes seemed too formulaic. The first episodes had me thinking, "I've never seen a show like this before." The last several episodes had me thinking, "This is starting to seem like everything else."

Watching this, I don't know that Robin Wright has ever been sexier. Also, had to imdb Peter's girlfriend to figure where I knew her from: she was the main girl in Cabin in the Woods. :thumbup:

Is it still to early to start discussing specifics of the show without using spoiler tags?
Don't want to speak for the entire FFA, but personally I'm only two episodes in, so spoiler tags for at least a little while would be appreciated. Although I suspect the upcoming largely sports-free long weekend will be all it takes for me to fire through the rest of the episodes.Agree with your comment on the last page about the portrayal of DC, btw. This is as good as I've seen from any TV show.

Signed up for netflix and pounded out the 13 episodes in 2 days...I couldn't stop
You gonna cancel? Wonder how many people have done that. $7.99 to see this entire series is not a bad deal at all. Aren't full seasons of shows like this $60.00 on itunes?

Is it still to early to start discussing specifics of the show without using spoiler tags?
Don't want to speak for the entire FFA, but personally I'm only two episodes in, so spoiler tags for at least a little while would be appreciated. Although I suspect the upcoming largely sports-free long weekend will be all it takes for me to fire through the rest of the episodes.Agree with your comment on the last page about the portrayal of DC, btw. This is as good as I've seen from any TV show.
I really enjoy the opening credits.

Signed up for netflix and pounded out the 13 episodes in 2 days...I couldn't stop
You gonna cancel? Wonder how many people have done that. $7.99 to see this entire series is not a bad deal at all. Aren't full seasons of shows like this $60.00 on itunes?
I signed up just for this show, got a free month, after watching it I cancelled as I have no real use for Netflix until Arrested comes back

6 episodes in, love this show. Spacey really shines.Only thing I dont like is that Kate Mara obviously has a no nudity clause in her contract since there were ample spots to show her goods and they weaseled out of showing it
I am 6 episodes in and we at least saw her wonderful butt

I'm waiting for march 31rst to restart my Netflix subscription. ( got a return to Netflix for one free month email ) so I can start paying in may for arrested development. House of cards is another one I'm looking to watch.
I signed up just for this show, got a free month, after watching it I cancelled as I have no real use for Netflix until Arrested comes back
For me ill prob keep it for a few months max out on the movies and tv shows I'd like to watch and then cancel again. Although if they keep up their original content and its good where they could offer a new show every 2-3 months that could keep people like myself year round subscribers instead of half a year subscribers ( or one month subscribers like the poster above ).

Just finished the first season, enjoyed it.Spacey is pretty good, so is the guy who plays Russo. The girl who plays Spacey's wife (catherine? i believe) is also good.

Just finished the first season, enjoyed it.Spacey is pretty good, so is the guy who plays Russo. The girl who plays Spacey's wife (catherine? i believe) is also good.
The acting was wonderful imo
How are they going to cover up the mess at the end? I am confident Zoe, Luke, and the other broad are going to put together that Frank killed him...Hell, they almost had it already at the end of last episode.I also am unsure where the storyline about Catherine firing that mom is headed...

I have ZERO interest in politics but this show is ####### phenomenal. The acting is top notch and the show is not boring at all. His wife is playing her part perfectly. Im 6 episodes in. The brick episode was awesome. The vowel game youtube video :lmao:

On the topic of canceling netflix, I feel like you all are missing out. We cancelled the cable 2 years ago as more of a stand against Time Warner trying to jack up our rates, but I don't want to go back now. There's the transition period where you have to adjust to choosing what to watch instead of just mindlessly flipping through the channels, but it's great for us. They have a ton of content. We rented a cabin back over the summer that had cable and we realized we couldn't find anything to watch - just a bunch of reality tv.

I am only on Episode 8 but I have a question.

I can't figure out what Underwood's end game is. I have to stop comparing it to the British version. With that one, you knew he was gunning for the Prime Minister's spot.But Underwood screwed up the Education Bill (Only got lucky when Spinella punched him) and I can't see the Russo candidacy go anywhere (too much baggage). Underwood is nowhere as competent as his British counterpart.Do we see what he is going for by the end of the season?

I can't figure out what Underwood's end game is. I have to stop comparing it to the British version. With that one, you knew he was gunning for the Prime Minister's spot.But Underwood screwed up the Education Bill (Only got lucky when Spinella punched him) and I can't see the Russo candidacy go anywhere (too much baggage). Underwood is nowhere as competent as his British counterpart.Do we see what he is going for by the end of the season?
Yes

I don't think that is the aim.
i think he is looking to be the king-maker and ultimate powerbroker within the Beltway. presidents come and go after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
So when is the next "season"? :unsure:This is the problem I see with a series released straight to streaming. A lot of people will knock out the "season" in a few weeks. Then what? Will new seasons come out at more frequent intervals?
It's in production now so it will be a while. Personally I think they'd be better off releasing episodes in smaller chunks -- maybe 3 or 4 every few months. Word of mouth is important for the show's popularity and that would likely give people more opportunities to talk about it. One season at a time will get that annual buzz but then will fade as people focus on other shows the rest of the year.

So when is the next "season"? :unsure:This is the problem I see with a series released straight to streaming. A lot of people will knock out the "season" in a few weeks. Then what? Will new seasons come out at more frequent intervals?
It's in production now so it will be a while. Personally I think they'd be better off releasing episodes in smaller chunks -- maybe 3 or 4 every few months. Word of mouth is important for the show's popularity and that would likely give people more opportunities to talk about it. One season at a time will get that annual buzz but then will fade as people focus on other shows the rest of the year.
You can always watch it in smaller chunks. I love the release of all episodes at once as you watch it at whatever pace works for you. I prefer to just bang it out in a few weeks.

I still have two episodes left so ill look for a response after im done. I have a few questions/comments

I knew Spaceys character was supposed to be kind of a bad guy but i really didnt like the turn he took becoming evil by killing Peter Russo. I really like the Russo character and was sad when he fell off the wagon. I still dont understand why they built up Peter only to tear him down. They clearly meant to build him up because Underwood was pissed when the Watershed bill didnt pass. And i think they tore him down cuz he threatened them. But then it seems like this whole thing was set up for Underwood to become VP. Was that his plan from the beginning? Things seemed to set up for him perfectly. Or did he start changing his plan as he went along?

I still have two episodes left so ill look for a response after im done. I have a few questions/comments

I knew Spaceys character was supposed to be kind of a bad guy but i really didnt like the turn he took becoming evil by killing Peter Russo. I really like the Russo character and was sad when he fell off the wagon. I still dont understand why they built up Peter only to tear him down. They clearly meant to build him up because Underwood was pissed when the Watershed bill didnt pass. And i think they tore him down cuz he threatened them. But then it seems like this whole thing was set up for Underwood to become VP. Was that his plan from the beginning? Things seemed to set up for him perfectly. Or did he start changing his plan as he went along?
No idea. He never really says. At first, it seemed like the plan was just to make the president look bad but then things started falling into place for him.

I've assumed that his ultimate plan, to be played out in future seasons, is the Presidency. The short-term goal was the VP position as a path to the Presidency. I don't remember, does the show indicate if this is the President's first term or second term? If it's his second term, then Underwood can run in the next election. If it's his first term, then my guess is he tries to dig something up on the President and get him impeached.And, yes, Russo was all about creating a panic situation in PA and "forcing" the VP to go back to be the Governor. I agree, though, about the likeability of Russo. I wanted him to make it.The two main things I don't like about the final episodes are:1) How the 3 journalists seemed to figure out almost everything in about 2 minutes just chatting in their apartment. It seemed forced and just a convenient way to finish the season.2) Why has nobody asked why Russo was is in the passenger seat?

I liked the season but the

Peter Russo stuff seemed either too confusing or convenient IMO. I couldnt figure out when they wanted him to succeed and fail and whether it was the plan from the beginning or just worked out that way

I've assumed that his ultimate plan, to be played out in future seasons, is the Presidency. The short-term goal was the VP position as a path to the Presidency. I don't remember, does the show indicate if this is the President's first term or second term? If it's his second term, then Underwood can run in the next election. If it's his first term, then my guess is he tries to dig something up on the President and get him impeached.And, yes, Russo was all about creating a panic situation in PA and "forcing" the VP to go back to be the Governor. I agree, though, about the likeability of Russo. I wanted him to make it.The two main things I don't like about the final episodes are:1) How the 3 journalists seemed to figure out almost everything in about 2 minutes just chatting in their apartment. It seemed forced and just a convenient way to finish the season.2) Why has nobody asked why Russo was is in the passenger seat?
First term. Underwood even stated in a monologue that his goal was the Presidency after the President's second term

Peter Russo stuff seemed either too confusing or convenient IMO. I couldnt figure out when they wanted him to succeed and fail and whether it was the plan from the beginning or just worked out that way
Underwood wanted Russo to start out fine but fail after the point when it would be difficult to run another candidate that wasn't already well known in PA and organized (the VP).

Underwood wanted Russo to start out fine but fail after the point when it would be difficult to run another candidate that wasn't already well known in PA and organized (the VP).
Then why was he so pissed when the Watershed bill was defeated? Or was that basically irrelevant to his plot?

I disagree. I think Underwood wanted Russo to win but once the Watershed Bill failed and Russo went off the rails, then Underwood wanted to crush him

Yes, but it should be added that
Underwood did want Russo to survive politically to continue in the House so he could still work as a puppet in his plans. Only his total crash & burn after the interview, and the opportunity presenting itself so well, led Underwood to change plans

I think in general, Underwoods plan keeps evolving. Every time he has a setback, the plan changes. That's one of the most interesting parts of the show to me.

Yes, but it should be added that
Underwood did want Russo to survive politically to continue in the House so he could still work as a puppet in his plans. Only his total crash & burn after the interview, and the opportunity presenting itself so well, led Underwood to change plans
Good point. That makes sense.

I disagree. I think Underwood wanted Russo to win but once the Watershed Bill failed and Russo went off the rails, then Underwood wanted to crush him
Then how would Underwood get to be VP? That certainly was his plan.

Then how would Underwood get to be VP? That certainly was his plan.
they didnt spell out the plan but they made it rather clear with the whole keeping the Rachel in a safehouse thing, that they were using her for the rainy day, when they will need to get Russo to get on the wagon again. The plan all along as I thought it was at the seasons end, be it that they pass the watershed Act, have Russo have a major setback right before the election and convince the VP to fight for the Dems to win that Gov seat and he would take the VP seat. Only flaw with this plan is it is something the Frank character wouldnt do since it all relies on the VP giving up his cushy spot after a few months to go back to being a Gov, If the VP declines to run again then Frank has major egg on his head from totally going all in with Russo and having Russo go bonkers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The comical use of spoiler tags here highlights the biggest problem with this show's release model: it seriously hinders any shared discussion of the show. Like on this board or in real life.

The comical use of spoiler tags here highlights the biggest problem with this show's release model: it seriously hinders any shared discussion of the show. Like on this board or in real life.
wat?
:lmao:It's tough to talk about a show when it's released all at once and we all watch it at a different pace.This often seems to be the case regardless these days -- for example, people have a few episodes on their DVR that they haven't watched, they're a season behind on Netflix, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread