What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans In-Season thread (2 Viewers)

HOUSTON - Houston Texans defensive coordinator Wade Phillips confirmed for FOX 26 Sports he has chosen not to interview Friday with Tampa Bay officials in an effort to become the Buccaneers next head coach."I want to be here, that's what it really came down to," Phillips said. "I didn't want to be a distraction whatsoever, whether that was perceived or not."People talking about you interviewing on your day off and all that stuff. If you don't do well, always people are going to say that was a distraction. I sure don't want to be a distraction for this team at this time. That was part of it too.The Texans play the Ravens Sunday in Baltimore in the divisional playoffs.Phillips acknowledged that withdrawing from consideration for the Buccaneers' job was a hard decision."Yea, a little a bit because I certainly have ambitions," Phillips said. "You have to do what's best for you and your family and that's what I feel like I'm doing."Texans inside linebacker Brian Cushing is thrilled to hear the news that Phillips will continue as his defensive coordinator."Extremely happy," said Cushing in a text message to FOX 26 Sports. "Hope to have something going here for a long time."

Well, mixed feelings about the game. I thought other than the turnovers the Texans pretty consistently were out playing the Ravens on both offense and defense. But that doesn't matter in the end when you turn the ball over inside your own five yard line, or make a few of the choices that Yates made.

I didn't expect a Texans win, and actually they played above my expectations other than the turnovers. So that's a moral victory, which like all moral victories is hollow and doesn't matter in the end.

Ah well, was nice to see them get into the playoffs and make a good run once in there. Showed great resilience, and if Michael Lombardi wants to call them soft again next off-season Cushing should go tear his head off.

Well, mixed feelings about the game. I thought other than the turnovers the Texans pretty consistently were out playing the Ravens on both offense and defense. But that doesn't matter in the end when you turn the ball over inside your own five yard line, or make a few of the choices that Yates made.

I didn't expect a Texans win, and actually they played above my expectations other than the turnovers. So that's a moral victory, which like all moral victories is hollow and doesn't matter in the end.

Ah well, was nice to see them get into the playoffs and make a good run once in there. Showed great resilience, and if Michael Lombardi wants to call them soft again next off-season Cushing should go tear his head off.
I'm with you. You can't expect much out of Yates @ Baltimore but overall the team played well. I'm glad they were there in the end. I can't wait to see this D next year if Wade comes back. I really like TJ Yates going forward. I think Schaub gets hurt next year and TJ owns it.

I think Yates needs at least another 2 years before he's even in consideration for any kind of starting job. He can make the throws, he's got poise in the pocket. But his decision making isn't there. He seems almost the opposite of most rookies to me... most rookie QBs are afraid to throw it because NFL receivers don't often get open to the extent the rookie is used to coming from college.

Yates seems to have so much faith in his receiver he'll throw it even when a receiver is well covered. The first interception was a prime example of that... the defender was in a position he could make a pick. Good for Yates to throw the ball before the receiver's break, but he's got to spot that situation and throw it somewhere else.

But I think he could develop into a starter who is good enough you can win with. Especially with an off-season of OTAs and all.

I wonder what the Texans will do with the 3rd backup slot next year. Re-sign Leinart back? Delhomme or Garcia? Pick up someone else in free agency? Hard to say. Kubiak likes Leinart, but I'm fine with letting him go with Yates as an additional back up option.

They played tough today, but in the end against good teams, weaknesses enventually comeback to bite. Was just asking too much for TJ Yates to beat a defense with at least 2 Hall of Famers (maybe more) on the road. A couple of years from now, we will see.

Congrats on a great season, Houston fans. Your D played magnificently yesterday. A couple of bounces the other way & the Texans could have easily won that game. As usually happens, the Ravens ugliness bled over to the other team.

Your team is set up to be a perennial playoff contender. Get Shaub & Mario back, maybe a little better WR #2, and they are as good as anyone in the AFC.

From a cap standpoint, I don't know how advantageous it is to cut Jacoby or Leinart. Been trying to figure it out from reported numbers on the internet.

Both are 1 year in on 3 & 2 year contracts and are still due a small amt of guaranteed money. Jacoby's salary is supposedly $3M for 2012, but he has about $2M guaranteed left he hasn't been paid. We backloaded his contract to helpout with our salary cap # for 2011. Leinart is due $3M, but I think he has $1.25M remaining as guaranteed.

The only accelerated dead money would be $300,000 remaining from Jacoby's signing bonus. So if you cut both, I think you are looking at about 3.55M in dead money but a cap savings of about $2.75M.

I could see us keeping Delhomme or some other street FA or late round QB as the number 3 and Yates as the primary backup. Then draft a replacement for Jacoby. I doubt we will be a player for any big name FA WR, our salary cap space will be used on some combo of probably Mario, Foster and Myers. Actually, it's going to raise a stink but I think Foster will get the highest tender instead of a new contract. Then we'll resign Mario and people will complain that the $$$ should go to Foster.

Saw some breakdown of the plays of the game and some of the interceptions were good examples of both how darn good Ed Reed is, and where the gap between a rookie and veteran QB is.

Best example being the interception down around the goal line. Yates made the right read with the coverage on the play that he should move the safety to his left with his eyes and then come back to Andre who would have single coverage up the sideline.

But Reed knew the game situation and what Yates's read should be too, and didn't bite when Yates tried to look him off, instead moving over towards Dre and making the pick.

Don't know if Schaub would have picked upon Reed not biting or not, but I bet he would have had a much better chance of it. Still, it's not a bad sign for Yates that he was making correct reads and such, just lacked the experience in playing chess with Reed back there and seeing when he didn't bite the way he "should" have.

At the risk of being an unwanted outside intrusion, I think the Texans just need to stay the course. I was pretty impressed with the talent level on that team both times they came to Baltimore. If they win the 2012 rematch by a couple of TDs, I won't be even a little surprised.

At the risk of being an unwanted outside intrusion, I think the Texans just need to stay the course. I was pretty impressed with the talent level on that team both times they came to Baltimore. If they win the 2012 rematch by a couple of TDs, I won't be even a little surprised.
We welcome outsider with questions and/or comments. We all try to keep useless bickering down, but like to here from others.Given that this was a slow and steady build where the Texans fans were asked to be patient and trust the organization, I hope that this is the start of a long run.

Definitely need an upgrade at the other WR spot...I've seen enough of Jacoby (that brain-dead play might have cost us a trip to NE), and Walter is far too often non-existent. A true number 2 should have been much more productive and reliable with AJ out, but Walter really doesn't scare anyone. He's at best a 3 or 4. We need at least 1 promising WR in this draft, and probably even a 2nd with return skills (who doesn't run sideways). We need some kind of threat with serious speed on the other side, and an infusion of new talent at the position. I'm not exactly sure what Walter makes or how much we could save by axing Jacoby and giving Walter a paycut, or if that's even feasible. Bryant Johnson is worthless, so there's potentially 3 WR spots (if we jettison Jacoby) that could be replaced in some fashion b/c Jeff Maehl was our number 5 by the end of the season. AJ is basically all we have at the position, and he's not exactly young or durable anymore.

Obviously the big money decisions involve Foster and Mario. With Schaub going into the last year of his deal I'll speculate that he gets extended soon to help provide some cap relief on next year's books. Taking care of Foster seems like a no-brainer. I hope they get it worked out. Mario's situation is also going to be interesting. I could easily understand letting him go but it might be really interesting to watch this defense if we can find a sensible way to bring him back. I'm not opposed to tagging him and trading him if we can get a good draft pick as well. I'm super excited about the core of this young defense and what Phillips can do (please stay) with another year of adding depth to it, regardless of what happens with Mario. Wouldn't mind shoring up that other CB spot though.

I think Yates can develop into a decent QB but I would have preferred to see him get a couple of years on the sidelines before having to play. At this point I think I prefer Delhomme to Leinart. Actually I saw enough of them to last me quite a while. Get well Schaub and stay the hell away from Albert Haynesworth.

Thanks Texans for giving me a team I could love again....

Last edited by a moderator:
'Buckna said:
From a cap standpoint, I don't know how advantageous it is to cut Jacoby or Leinart. Been trying to figure it out from reported numbers on the internet.Both are 1 year in on 3 & 2 year contracts and are still due a small amt of guaranteed money. Jacoby's salary is supposedly $3M for 2012, but he has about $2M guaranteed left he hasn't been paid. We backloaded his contract to helpout with our salary cap # for 2011. Leinart is due $3M, but I think he has $1.25M remaining as guaranteed.The only accelerated dead money would be $300,000 remaining from Jacoby's signing bonus. So if you cut both, I think you are looking at about 3.55M in dead money but a cap savings of about $2.75M.I could see us keeping Delhomme or some other street FA or late round QB as the number 3 and Yates as the primary backup. Then draft a replacement for Jacoby. I doubt we will be a player for any big name FA WR, our salary cap space will be used on some combo of probably Mario, Foster and Myers. Actually, it's going to raise a stink but I think Foster will get the highest tender instead of a new contract. Then we'll resign Mario and people will complain that the $$$ should go to Foster.
I am probably more for a position battle between Yates and Leinert for the number 2. I think the team is at place where going for the immediate help at WR through free agency and letting the draft be lots of BPA all over the place would be the way I would go.

'Buckna said:
From a cap standpoint, I don't know how advantageous it is to cut Jacoby or Leinart. Been trying to figure it out from reported numbers on the internet.Both are 1 year in on 3 & 2 year contracts and are still due a small amt of guaranteed money. Jacoby's salary is supposedly $3M for 2012, but he has about $2M guaranteed left he hasn't been paid. We backloaded his contract to helpout with our salary cap # for 2011. Leinart is due $3M, but I think he has $1.25M remaining as guaranteed.The only accelerated dead money would be $300,000 remaining from Jacoby's signing bonus. So if you cut both, I think you are looking at about 3.55M in dead money but a cap savings of about $2.75M.I could see us keeping Delhomme or some other street FA or late round QB as the number 3 and Yates as the primary backup. Then draft a replacement for Jacoby. I doubt we will be a player for any big name FA WR, our salary cap space will be used on some combo of probably Mario, Foster and Myers. Actually, it's going to raise a stink but I think Foster will get the highest tender instead of a new contract. Then we'll resign Mario and people will complain that the $$$ should go to Foster.
I am probably more for a position battle between Yates and Leinert for the number 2. I think the team is at place where going for the immediate help at WR through free agency and letting the draft be lots of BPA all over the place would be the way I would go.
What kind of F/A WR do you see as someone we could reasonably go after? With the Foster/Mario/Myers money situation it doesn't seem likely that we could target someone like a Reggie Wayne...

'Buckna said:
From a cap standpoint, I don't know how advantageous it is to cut Jacoby or Leinart. Been trying to figure it out from reported numbers on the internet.Both are 1 year in on 3 & 2 year contracts and are still due a small amt of guaranteed money. Jacoby's salary is supposedly $3M for 2012, but he has about $2M guaranteed left he hasn't been paid. We backloaded his contract to helpout with our salary cap # for 2011. Leinart is due $3M, but I think he has $1.25M remaining as guaranteed.The only accelerated dead money would be $300,000 remaining from Jacoby's signing bonus. So if you cut both, I think you are looking at about 3.55M in dead money but a cap savings of about $2.75M.I could see us keeping Delhomme or some other street FA or late round QB as the number 3 and Yates as the primary backup. Then draft a replacement for Jacoby. I doubt we will be a player for any big name FA WR, our salary cap space will be used on some combo of probably Mario, Foster and Myers. Actually, it's going to raise a stink but I think Foster will get the highest tender instead of a new contract. Then we'll resign Mario and people will complain that the $$ should go to Foster.
What kind of F/A WR do you see as someone we could reasonably go after? With the Foster/Mario/Myers money situation it doesn't seem likely that we could target someone like a Reggie Wayne...
Garcon perhaps?

'Buckna said:
I'd lean more towards the draft from the standpoint that we're already tight on cap room and the rookie will be cheaper. But not if we have to reach, I don't want to see them taking a WR a half round early because there isn't one who fits at the pick.

'Buckna said:
even when the list gets to 10-12 deep, I am guessing there is an upgrade from 2011 Jacoby Jones and Walter. We tend to think that rookies this time of year are all going to be JJ Watt, when really a Duane Brown track is more probable. Remember he was a shaky part-time starter as a rookie versus a pro-bowl snub now. The Texans probably need to draft a WR (maybe two) somewhere, but the chances for a rookie WR to be a quality number 2 out of the gate is not that likely.

Since we are now a playoff team, I am going to wait to start an off-season thread until after the Superbowl...hopefully getting some practice.

Since we're talking about WRs and the potential of getting one in free agency or the draft, figured I'd share this KC Joyner quote I just came across in a Tebow article:

The odds of getting that upgrade are greatly helped by the depth of wide receiver talent that can be found in this year's NFL draft and free-agency crops. The draft has as many as four potential first-round wide receiver prospects and six or seven pass-catchers with second-round potential.Free agency is also a more than viable avenue since this year's wide receiving crop could include Vincent Jackson, Marques Colston, DeSean Jackson and Mario Manningham, along with a deep group of solid veteran prospects.

Other quotes. Connor Barwin discussing whether he thinks Mario Williams will be leaving:

"I just don't think that's going to happen. I'm pretty sure. He had five sacks in the first five games, so who knows what his production would have been. In Wade Phillips' system in this defense you need three outside backers to rotate and me and Brooks [Reed] have been pretty much playing every single snap. That can wear you down a little bit. We'd love Mario back so that we could get a little bit of a rotation going and hopefully all play better."
Two teams it is speculated by ESPN that may make a run at him are the Bills and the Chargers. I was talking with Rudnicki about Mario a week and a half ago and we tried going through the NFL team by team to try to come up with anyone who might feel they had a strong enough need for him (a team who he might be the final piece to contend especially) that they might do a trade. He's a Bills fan and when I mentioned Buffalo was one of the only teams I could think of who had a strong need there, though not the only hole they need to fill, he ended up having a hard time stopping imagining how nice the Bills D-line would be with Mario in there.Also, Matt Schaub talked about the rehab of his foot:
"I'll be ready in OTAs and doing stuff then. It's a process with the foot with all the wait and all the stuff you got to do moving around side to side, laterally, but it will be fine. I'm not worried about the rehab process. We're going to just jump right in and continue to progress as I have already."

IIRC, Jason Allen is a FA as well. I imagine he is going to get low-level #2 CB starter money from somebody so I don't see us opening our wallet. Especially for a guy who platoons with Kareem as our #2 but is mostly the nickel guy.

Roc Carmichael got injured early losing his rookie season and looks like a big question mark so there will be a need at DB again.

Texans contact situation according to Rotoworldhttp://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/hou/
Crap, didn't know Brisiel and Rackers were free agents too. So that makes six contracts they'd need to do to retain the same players (Mario, Foster though he's RFA, Myers, Dreessen, Brisiel and Rackers). Foster of course they could lowball with an RFA tender and no new contract for a year, but I'd rather see them lock him up to a 4 or 5 year deal if possible rather than have to tag him next year.I wonder if they like Caldwell enough to let Brisiel walk if he wants too much? Would definitely cut into the depth on the O-line if they did.Wish there was a good site for what their cap figure will actually be going into the off-season. I haven't found one since HoustonProFootball stopped updating theirs.

According to John McClain tweet, Foster is going to sit out the Pro Bowl because of a foot injury suffered in the Ravens game.

Texans contact situation according to Rotoworldhttp://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/hou/
Crap, didn't know Brisiel and Rackers were free agents too. So that makes six contracts they'd need to do to retain the same players (Mario, Foster though he's RFA, Myers, Dreessen, Brisiel and Rackers). Foster of course they could lowball with an RFA tender and no new contract for a year, but I'd rather see them lock him up to a 4 or 5 year deal if possible rather than have to tag him next year.I wonder if they like Caldwell enough to let Brisiel walk if he wants too much? Would definitely cut into the depth on the O-line if they did.Wish there was a good site for what their cap figure will actually be going into the off-season. I haven't found one since HoustonProFootball stopped updating theirs.
Regarding information on salary cap status, I have found a great site which tracks the Eagles salary cap at any given time. I so wish they had this for every NFL team:http://www.eaglescap.com/index.html

even when the list gets to 10-12 deep, I am guessing there is an upgrade from 2011 Jacoby Jones and Walter. We tend to think that rookies this time of year are all going to be JJ Watt, when really a Duane Brown track is more probable. Remember he was a shaky part-time starter as a rookie versus a pro-bowl snub now. The Texans probably need to draft a WR (maybe two) somewhere, but the chances for a rookie WR to be a quality number 2 out of the gate is not that likely.
Definitely. While it would be nice to add Manningham or Garcon (Bowe being my impossible wet dream), even an Eddie Royal or Josh Morgan would be a solid upgrade. I would like to truly address this need though as my confidence in Dre's health is shaky and we may need a true #1 sooner than we'd like.

Read through some of the scouting reports on WRs. Haven't gone through all that might be potential 2nd round picks, but there aren't many it looks like would be there that Scouts Inc at least are calling good blockers... something we know Kubiak likes.

Though, he's kept Jacoby and he's not a particularly good blocker that I've noticed.

Chris Myers and Antonio Smith were added to the AFC Pro Bowl roster according to Paul Kuharsky.

Read through some of the scouting reports on WRs. Haven't gone through all that might be potential 2nd round picks, but there aren't many it looks like would be there that Scouts Inc at least are calling good blockers... something we know Kubiak likes.Though, he's kept Jacoby and he's not a particularly good blocker that I've noticed.
Jacoby must have something on Kubiak or McNair. No way in hell a guy like that gets his contract. He's like a :tumbleweed: when AJ80 is out and his return game has much to be desired.

From an Andrew Brandt interview:

At last check the Texans had about $5M of room assuming a flat Cap of around $120M, although that was with 47 players under contract.

Williams taking "whatever happens, happens” approach

By Nick Scurfield

Posted 1 hour ago

The biggest question of the Texans’ offseason is what will happen with the man who is, literally and figuratively, one of their biggest players.

Mario Williams, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft and a two-time Pro Bowler, will become an unrestricted free agent on March 13. He is the Texans’ all-time leader in sacks with 53 and an imposing physical specimen of an outside linebacker at 6-6, 285 pounds, but he spent the final 11 games of last season on injured reserve while the Texans finished second in the NFL in defense under Wade Phillips.

On Thursday, Williams discussed how he feels about his impending free agency.

“It’s football and it’s a business,” he said. “To me, I’ve really been focused on getting back to my full strength and healthy, so I haven’t really paid too much attention on it because it’s something that just hasn’t come. Coach (Gary) Kubiak, he told me from day one after the season ended, it’s a process and just let it take its place and don’t worry about it, so that’s all I’ve been doing is just really focusing on getting healthy.”

Williams, 27, said he is 100 percent after a torn pectoral muscle ended his 2011 season in Week 5. He has been working out daily at Reliant Stadium. He said he has not paid attention to the hoopla surrounding his situation, instead passing the time by playing Xbox at his home in West Houston ("Battlefield 3" and "Gears of War" are his favorites, in case you were wondering).

“I’m doing great,” Williams said. “I had a very speedy recovery. It was unfortunate that I couldn’t have been a part of the team on the field, but I’m doing great and everything’s looking good right now.”

But the speculation about Williams’ future has been building as free agency approaches, and the questions are many.

For instance, is it Williams’ first choice to be in Houston?

“Well, you know, I mean, I love it here,” he said. “We’ve got everything we need here. The team is obviously right where it needs to be at, and we were a couple plays away from getting to the Super Bowl, I feel like. So I definitely – the pieces fit, but once again, you know, it’s part of the business, so whatever happens, happens.”

Would Williams consider signing with the Texans before free agency begins, or does he want to test the open market?

“It’s just part of the process, like I said,” he said. “It’s just one of those things that I have to go through. The draft is coming up, and I think the Combine and all that stuff, so I know they’ve got a lot of things on their plate. So to me, I’m just waiting. It’s just part of being in this position and I’m just waiting for it. I don’t know what’s going to happen, personally.”

Is Williams intent on trying to become the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history?

“I’m not worried about that,” Williams said. “Money is money at the end of the day, and it’s really not that big of a deal for me. Whatever best fits for myself and the team, whichever it may be, then so be it. I’m not focused on telling my agent (Ben Dogra), ‘Hey, do this or do that because I want to be the highest paid player, bla bla.’ You know, I was the first pick, so I’ve had everything I’ve ever really wanted already, so my biggest thing is just being in a good position, being in a good fit, being in a good scheme or system and just being able to continue my career and progress.

“My goal isn’t to go and say, ‘I want to be this and that’ or say, ‘I want this and that.’ It’s just whatever’s out of respect for the position and whatever you bring to the team I feel like is adequate.”

Last offseason, much was made about Williams’ transition from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker. Many pundits wrote him off as being too big for the position.

Williams wound up with five sacks in five games – actually, four games and less than one full quarter – before tearing his pec against the Oakland Raiders. It was a small sample size, but Williams is excited about the progress he made under Phillips.

“It was great,” he said. “I crawled before I could walk in the preseason. I just took it real slow, and then whenever the live bullets started shooting, it was all in. Everything worked out. We were doing great, and I was adjusting to the position and then all of a sudden, this happened with my pec, but I feel great. 3-4, 4-3, it really doesn’t matter.

“Coach Phillips is phenomenal, and just the way that he motivates us and the way that he puts us in positions to make plays, there’s ample opportunity for everything.”

Having been with the Texans for six seasons, Williams has developed a close relationship with the fans in Houston, and with Kubiak, who also arrived in 2006. Williams was Kubiak’s first draft pick, a controversial No. 1 overall selection over Reggie Bush and Vince Young.

“Obviously, everything from the beginning was a little rough, for myself and Coach,” Williams said. “We were both new here and with the draft and all the other stuff that was going on, but the city has completely turned around. I love it here. The fans here, every day – especially now – I go out, people are talking to me, wanting autographs or whatever and asking about the contract and I tell ‘em I don’t know anything and they think I’m lying, but I really don’t know anything. But the fanbase has been phenomenal here over my six years.

“And Coach Kubiak, he’s just at another level, man. I can honestly say I love him to death. He’s a great guy and I wish nothing but the best for him, and I’m sure every player does as well.”

Whether that sentimentality plays a role in Williams’ decision-making this offseason remains to be seen. The Richlands, N.C., native said it would mean “a lot” if he were able to work things out with the Texans and continue his career in Houston, which he now considers to be his home.

In the meantime, Williams will continue to do what he has been doing. Asked if this is a nervous time or exciting time for him, he replied, laughing as he did so, “It’s an Xbox time.”

“That’s the way I deal with it,” he said. “I feel like it’s a process and it’s part of football and it’s part of being in my position. Honestly, I come (to Reliant Stadium), train, work out and play Xbox. That’s about it. I think more people know more about this than I do. I don’t see the TV, I don’t read the paper.

“At this point, I’m really not even worried about it. Like I said, whatever’s going to happen is going to happen, so I just take it one day at a time and don't really worry about it.“

In a chat I asked Nick Scurfield about Brandon Harris, the CB taken in the 2nd round last year, and if he was likely to move into a nickel or dime role this year. His reply sheds at least a little more light than I've seen yet on how the team felt about him last year. Though if he'd been outplaying the other CBs I'm sure he'd have been in the game.

Nick Scurfield: Would expect him to be competing for one of those roles in training camp. I've been told he didn't do anything wrong this year, he just played at a suddenly crowded position (Texans added some guy named Johnathan Joseph in free agency), and CBs (like LTs & QBs) tend to benefit greatly from watching & learning instead of getting thrown into the fire

Users who are viewing this thread