What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans In-Season thread (1 Viewer)

The Texans should back the Brinks truck up to Kurt Warner's front door or the NFL Network office and lure him to a playoff team......if that doesn't work, Jeff Garcia seems to be the "vet" Houston is looking for.

The Texans should back the Brinks truck up to Kurt Warner's front door or the NFL Network office and lure him to a playoff team......if that doesn't work, Jeff Garcia seems to be the "vet" Houston is looking for.
Apparently, the Texans only have Tonka trunk's worth of cap space (w/o contract restructings) and that why you are hearing all of these C level options circulating around them. I know Rick Smith said something about Favre and his circus, but really what's more 3 ring than cast of has beens and never weres rumored around the Texans at the moment.

this team is the Houston Fosters on offense. no qb, and the stud WR wont do a single thing, they may stack 9 or 10 in the box and dare them to throw. AJ wont be good enough to beat him. i was all about AJ but after yesterday i dont mind eating a bit of crow. the Texans no longer have even a slight bit of passing offense.
Interesting note from Football Outsiders today:
Foster had 22 carries for 65 yards against Jacksonville. One of those runs gained 43 yards, and another gained 10. Otherwise, he averaged - this is not a typo - 0.6 yards (or, if you prefer, 1 foot, 10 inches) per rush. He had 14 runs for less than 2 yards (although one of those was a 1-yard touchdown) and also fumbled twice. The Texans also threw him nine passes. He caught seven of them, but for just 24 total yards and no first downs.
Foster is going to have a giant target on his back for the rest of the season until the Texans can prove they can throw the ball downfield - whether to AJ or anyone else.

Regarding Favre, I wish Kubes would have squashed that question with a resounding NO FRIGGIN' WAY instead of his "we won't rule out anyone at this time". He could have stopped that mess right there.

I agree with you on the 3 ring circus surrounding the Texans right now due to the QB position, but man......landing Warner out of the studio would be historic for us. I honestly doubt he would leave the comforts of the NFL Network, but at least try to lure him out. Signing Clemens was a laughable move IMO. I'm wondering what happened with Garcia during that tryout that they didn't sign him at that moment and leaned to Clemens.

this team is the Houston Fosters on offense. no qb, and the stud WR wont do a single thing, they may stack 9 or 10 in the box and dare them to throw. AJ wont be good enough to beat him. i was all about AJ but after yesterday i dont mind eating a bit of crow. the Texans no longer have even a slight bit of passing offense.
Foster had 22 carries for 65 yards against Jacksonville. One of those runs gained 43 yards, and another gained 10. Otherwise, he averaged - this is not a typo - 0.6 yards (or, if you prefer, 1 foot, 10 inches) per rush. He had 14 runs for less than 2 yards (although one of those was a 1-yard touchdown) and also fumbled twice. The Texans also threw him nine passes. He caught seven of them, but for just 24 total yards and no first downs.
Foster is going to have a giant target on his back for the rest of the season until the Texans can prove they can throw the ball downfield - whether to AJ or anyone else.
this is exactly why I think Kubiak should open it up against Atlanta. If they play conservative on offense, I don't think they will be able to move the ball very well. This is an opportunity for Yates to learn and I think they should take full advantage of it. If he makes a mistake or two on Sunday and they lose, so what. It could prevent him from making the same mistake come playoff time when they have to win.

Regarding Favre, I wish Kubes would have squashed that question with a resounding NO FRIGGIN' WAY instead of his "we won't rule out anyone at this time". He could have stopped that mess right there.I agree with you on the 3 ring circus surrounding the Texans right now due to the QB position, but man......landing Warner out of the studio would be historic for us. I honestly doubt he would leave the comforts of the NFL Network, but at least try to lure him out. Signing Clemens was a laughable move IMO. I'm wondering what happened with Garcia during that tryout that they didn't sign him at that moment and leaned to Clemens.
I think Clemens advantage was that he was around Washinton's offense which is the exact offense the Texans run.

this is exactly why I think Kubiak should open it up against Atlanta. If they play conservative on offense, I don't think they will be able to move the ball very well. This is an opportunity for Yates to learn and I think they should take full advantage of it. If he makes a mistake or two on Sunday and they lose, so what. It could prevent him from making the same mistake come playoff time when they have to win.
I wouldn't expect what happened in the 2nd half versus Jacksonville to be a road map of what Kubiak will do in future games with Yates. I think they went ultra conservative out of fear that if Yates was hurt in that game, Owen Daniels would have to take over as QB.Now that they'll at least have someone again who plays the position behind him, not to mention having had first team reps and gameplanned with him, I think we'll see more of a normal game plan. I also think they may take advantage of Yates having a better arm than Leinart to try to open up the defense a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding Favre, I wish Kubes would have squashed that question with a resounding NO FRIGGIN' WAY instead of his "we won't rule out anyone at this time". He could have stopped that mess right there.I agree with you on the 3 ring circus surrounding the Texans right now due to the QB position, but man......landing Warner out of the studio would be historic for us. I honestly doubt he would leave the comforts of the NFL Network, but at least try to lure him out. Signing Clemens was a laughable move IMO. I'm wondering what happened with Garcia during that tryout that they didn't sign him at that moment and leaned to Clemens.
I think Clemens advantage was that he was around Washinton's offense which is the exact offense the Texans run.
Agreed. I think part of it makes sense. But I also think part of it is that Kubiak sort of has an preference for that which he is familiar with or comfortable with. Especially when it comes to players on offense, and coaching staff. Not that they won't go out and get some other player (Orlovsky, Mason, Joseph, Manning etc), but it seems that is a frequent trend with their decision making.

Agreed. I think part of it makes sense. But I also think part of it is that Kubiak sort of has an preference for that which he is familiar with or comfortable with. Especially when it comes to players on offense, and coaching staff. Not that they won't go out and get some other player (Orlovsky, Mason, Joseph, Manning etc), but it seems that is a frequent trend with their decision making.
This is so true. And I think it hurts us more often than it helps us.

I wouldn't expect what happened in the 2nd half versus Jacksonville to be a road map of what Kubiak will do in future games with Yates. I think they went ultra conservative out of fear that if Yates was hurt in that game, Owen Daniels would have to take over as QB.Now that they'll at least have someone again who plays the position behind him, not to mention having had first team reps and gameplanned with him, I think we'll see more of a normal game plan. I also think they may take advantage of Yates having a better arm than Leinart to try to open up the defense a little.
I wasn't criticizing Kubiak for his playcalling after Leinart got hurt. Against a Jacksonville offense with no receivers and Gabbert/McCown at QB, the only way the Texans were going to lose that game is if they beat themselves. Heck, it was a one score game only because Foster gave the Jaguars 7 points in the first quarter. I just think Kubiak has the choice of being real conservative against Atlanta or he can try to open it up some. I would like to see him open it up some and see what we have.

Is the Texans defense still a top 5 ROS?
Really would like some insight on this.
They play some tougher offenses, but still no truly dynamics ones in Atlanta, cinny, and carolina. I think the defense can perform fine, but will be under pressure because the offense may not keep them off the field as in the last 6 or so weeks. Think they will still be a startable FF defense for therest of the year.

Looks like Schaub is only signed through 2012. Has there been any local talk that Yates could be interviewing for the job in 2013?

Looks like Schaub is only signed through 2012. Has there been any local talk that Yates could be interviewing for the job in 2013?
No talk on that, yet. However, if he does well, he definitely could move up into the back-up role next year and give the Texans something tothink about for 2013.

Very little chance of that unless Yates pulls a Brady on us.
I certainly realize it's a longshot, but Yates is very intriguing in deep dynasty leagues. A 4-year starter in a pro-style offense that many draft pundits were high on. It seems like no coincidence the Texans took a flier on him given Schaub's age and contract situation. I'm very interested to see what he does with a longer leash this week.

'Greg Russell said:
Connor Barwin is the AFC defensive player of the month.
I know it has a lot to do with the schedule they were playing, but isn't it interesting that Barwin emerged without Mario on the other side? If the Texans do keep Mario next year, I sure hope they don't over pay for him.

'Greg Russell said:
Connor Barwin is the AFC defensive player of the month.
I know it has a lot to do with the schedule they were playing, but isn't it interesting that Barwin emerged without Mario on the other side? If the Texans do keep Mario next year, I sure hope they don't over pay for him.
I sort of see what you mean but I also sort of see it a different way.Barwin did fairly well with Mario... 2 sacks in 2 games and had a lot of pressures as I remember, including a number of free runs at the QB. He then dropped off when Mario went out, as did most of the rest of the defensive line.Until Brooks Reed made it clear he was a threat that needed to be addressed, which he did with 5 sacks in 4 games after he took over for Mario. And around the end of that streak, Barwin starts producing again. JJ Watt I think has also done more in these last couple of games, with a couple of sacks and a couple arguable roughing the passer calls for hitting a QB low when he got blocked down that way.I'm not in complete disagreement with you, but I think I could make a good argument that Barwin's emerging is when there is a better pass rusher opposite him that other teams are focused on. And that was true both with Mario and Reed.I actually would love to see Mario on one side and Reed on the other, but that is another story. :)

I know it wouldn't matter because KC picked him up, but I was pretty irritated that we didn't even put in a waiver claim on Orton and now I'm hearing that we won't put a claim in on McNabb. Wtf? I know McNabb hasn't looked like his old self, and I've never been a fan, but seriously, we're in a tight spot. He's got to be familiar with the system from his time with the Redskins last year. Rick Smith seriously pisses me off sometimes. Kubiak, too, with his blind loyalty. I blame him for the Frank Bush disaster. Putz.

I know it wouldn't matter because KC picked him up, but I was pretty irritated that we didn't even put in a waiver claim on Orton and now I'm hearing that we won't put a claim in on McNabb. Wtf? I know McNabb hasn't looked like his old self, and I've never been a fan, but seriously, we're in a tight spot. He's got to be familiar with the system from his time with the Redskins last year. Rick Smith seriously pisses me off sometimes. Kubiak, too, with his blind loyalty. I blame him for the Frank Bush disaster. Putz.
McNabb and Delhomme look like the same level of bad of the field. Reads like I have been more of fan of his than you, but Donovan really does not come of as having handled not being the man well. From my Lazy-boy just seems like not a high effort, I am going to help the young guy even though I am no longer good type.

I don't know about that. I mean, statistically there isn't much comparison. McNabb clearly had a rough time in MIN, but Delhomme has been terrible the last two years. 55.5% comp, 6.3 ypa, and 8:18 TD:INT in Carolina and then 62.4% comp, 5.9 ypa, and 2:7 in Cleveland last year. McNabb didn't throw much in MIN but when he did his stats were ok: 60.3%, 6.6 ypa, and 4:2. In Washington: 58.3%, 7.2 ypa, 14:15. Neither are impressive, but at least he got some experience in the system last year and isn't turning the ball over like Delhomme.

Our defense has looked good due in part to our lack of turnovers. We've had 6 INTs (3rd least, 5 being the best), and 4 fumbles lost (4th least). If we start throwing picks at our own 30 then our defense isn't going to look as impressive.

You know one of my biggest fears about the off-season is that there may be so many head coach openings that Wade Phillips will get one and we'll lose him. Last night Florio was saying there may be as many 10 coaches fired this year.

Stat I hadn't heard until just now.

Mike Smith coached teams were 8-0 against rookie quarterbacks.

Now they are 8-1. :pickle:

You know one of my biggest fears about the off-season is that there may be so many head coach openings that Wade Phillips will get one and we'll lose him. Last night Florio was saying there may be as many 10 coaches fired this year.
Not worried between his age and relative (not totally awful) lack of success as a head coach. think he can DC here as long until. Sould be Peter principle in effect.

Not worried between his age and relative (not totally awful) lack of success as a head coach. think he can DC here as long until. Sould be Peter principle in effect.
I'm not too worried yet. There's some recentcy to his firing so it is probably too soon before anyone will be willing to take a chance on him. Now next year if the defense keeps it up (which there's little reason to think otherwise.)IDK the answer to this, has Capers gotten any offers or interviews since he became DC for Green Bay? He turned that defense around into a top 2 defense his 1st year there in '09. Gotta figure these guys have similar histories, failed headcoaches multiple times, but stout DC's. Capers Win % is awful as a head coach, but he did helm 2 different expansion teams as opposed to existing programs.

I'm not too worried yet. There's some recentcy to his firing so it is probably too soon before anyone will be willing to take a chance on him. Now next year if the defense keeps it up (which there's little reason to think otherwise.)IDK the answer to this, has Capers gotten any offers or interviews since he became DC for Green Bay? He turned that defense around into a top 2 defense his 1st year there in '09. Gotta figure these guys have similar histories, failed headcoaches multiple times, but stout DC's. Capers Win % is awful as a head coach, but he did helm 2 different expansion teams as opposed to existing programs.
I think that fact that Wade is DC in Houston means that he wouldn't go to be Head Coach anywhere. I assume he likes being in Texas where his dad coached. Therefore, even if he got an offer, he might turn it down if it was not a good spot for him.As to Capers, he did nothing to build either of the two expansion teams he coached. He had success in Carolina because the expansion draft rules were so liberal he was able to get quality veteran defensive players to build a great defense quickly (Kevin Greene, Sam Mills, etc.). After getting to the NFC Championship game in 1996 The Panthers didn't have another winning season until 2003. In Houston, at the End of Capers tenure, the Texans may as well have been an expansion team again. He is a great DC who should never be allowed to be a head coach again.

Texans last second win from inside the ten. Titans last second loss from inside the ten.

Texans win the division!!!!!

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

What an amazing and phenomenal day to be a Texans fan! Been a long time coming...maybe the most lovable team here since Luv Ya Blue...I think I ruptured a vocal chord on the pass to Walter...

F### YEAH!!!!

Great day. Icing on the cake was walking in front of the rowdy who dey bengals fans here in la with my texans jacket

The Texans are currently the top seed in the AFC, though it isn't a lead that would hold up if all the current division leaders win out.

Right now we're up based on conference record of 8-2, while the Patriots and Ravens have played one less conference game and are both at 7-2. If everyone wins their last 3 games, that tiebreak would be even and we'd be back to strength of victory for the tiebreak with the #1 spot, and we play teams with a combined worse record than the Patriots the final 3 games. We would then have a tiebreak with Baltimore for the #2 spot and lose that on the head to head game.

So right now to get a first round bye we need to win out, and for at least one of the Patriots or Baltimore to lose. If the Patriots lose there would be two 13-3 teams so we'd get a bye. If the Ravens lose, but the Steelers keep winning, it would still be a 3-way tiebreak. Patriots would still win strength of victory for the top spot, but then we'd win the head to head sweep over the Steelers.

Users who are viewing this thread