What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans In-Season thread (1 Viewer)

Fantasy aside for a moment, I would not have been optimistic about this game were A.J. healthy. Frankly, I'm still not optimistic but his absence certainly helps. We need to run the ball effectively and get a few stops, but I see no way of slowing down Foster.
We beat you guys last year w/o him so AJ in or not shouldn't be an issue in Texans beating up your Raiders again. ;)
:thanks: for posting this. Good work here.

McClain confirming Mario out for the year. :cry:
i'm wondering if they flip barwin (or the role of designated pass rusher) to mario's role. barwin has a simlar skillset and probably has more affinity for the role rather than playing in space. reed looked good in the preseason but doing that over the course of a season is tricky for a rookie.

Tough loss, especially with the loss of Mario. Word so far on James Casey is that he also has a pectoral injury but the team is hopeful that he won't require surgery.

I think we're going to see a lot of the Ravens safeties up at the line after the Raiders success against the run. The Raiders frequently had both of their safeties inside the box, one playing on the line and another playing 5-7 yards off line a linebacker. Texans are going to have to make teams pay that do that or watch the running game fade until AJ is back.

I can't think of a team who every year looses at least one of their top tier players. Their conditioning program must be non existent.

I can't think of a team who every year looses at least one of their top tier players. Their conditioning program must be non existent.
I would love just agree with you, but the nature of the injures with this team are not "just work harder" things. Achilles and torn pectorals musles generally are not lazy bum injuries. Hamstrings are weird because they are have a better chance of being out of shape or dudes who have too much muscle to body fat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Williams out with Pectoral injury
Being reported as requiring surgery, which means he's done for year. Bump Barwin and maybe Brooks Reed as a result.
This is a good chance for the team to evaluate if they can generate a consistent pass rush w/o willaims and what might be an inflated salary in 2012 if he chooses to re-sign. Considering Mario has has something injurywise more years than not, I am inclided to move from Williams.

Heard something third hand at the game Sunday that was kind of interesting and also not all that surprising.

Guy who sits by me who I consider a pretty objective guy told me a friend of his had gone to one of those lunch or dinner type things the Texans are always hosting. While there the friend was talking to someone relatively high up in the front office about the Wade Phillips hiring. According to them, Kubiak had fought against the hiring and it had to be forced on him from above. The implication was that Kubiak was into the Old Boy Network and wanted to keep the coaching tree to people that he'd worked with in the past.

Given the coaching staff during Kubiak's tenure, very believable. And also given how Phillips has turned the defense around, hopefully something Kubiak has learned from.

Heard something third hand at the game Sunday that was kind of interesting and also not all that surprising.Guy who sits by me who I consider a pretty objective guy told me a friend of his had gone to one of those lunch or dinner type things the Texans are always hosting. While there the friend was talking to someone relatively high up in the front office about the Wade Phillips hiring. According to them, Kubiak had fought against the hiring and it had to be forced on him from above. The implication was that Kubiak was into the Old Boy Network and wanted to keep the coaching tree to people that he'd worked with in the past.Given the coaching staff during Kubiak's tenure, very believable. And also given how Phillips has turned the defense around, hopefully something Kubiak has learned from.
Not surprising to me. It always seemed like McNair was trying to get some good publicity, hire a good friend's son, and force his coach to hire a known commodity. Plus, if McNair does fire Kubiak, I can easily see him promoting Wade into the head coaches position. In his mind he wouldn't have to start all over again. If the above story is true, though, don't you question Kubiak's thinking when he was 0 for 2 in bringing in his own guys, both of who had no experience?I think it also fits with how loyal Kubiak is to his players. The Texans signed J. Jones to a 3 year, $10 million contract in the off season when they could have possibly looked for a more proven commodity. Now after one of the most horrific games by a WR ever (one catch on 11 targets, a fair catch over the shoulder at his teams own 6 yard line, a false start on a running play, and not getting open on the final play forcing your QB to throw an int. to end the game) they have traded for an old, proven commodity.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-trade-for-Mason-sign-Holliday-Nading/7fc3b276-5651-4b46-ba80-976e054058a9

The Texans traded the New York Jets a conditional 2012 draft pick for veteran wide receiver Derrick Mason on Wednesday. They also signed wide reciever Trindon Holliday and outside linebacker Jesse Nading to the active roster.

Holliday will return punts and kickoffs, allowing receiver Jacoby Jones and safety Danieal Manning to focus on their primary positions. Nading takes the roster spot of Mario Williams, who was placed on injured reserve with a torn pectoral muscle.

The Texans released running back Chris Ogbonnaya and wide receiver David Anderson. They signed linebacker Thaddeus Gibson and wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias to their practice squad.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-trade-for-Mason-sign-Holliday-Nading/7fc3b276-5651-4b46-ba80-976e054058a9

The Texans traded the New York Jets a conditional 2012 draft pick for veteran wide receiver Derrick Mason on Wednesday. They also signed wide reciever Trindon Holliday and outside linebacker Jesse Nading to the active roster.

Holliday will return punts and kickoffs, allowing receiver Jacoby Jones and safety Danieal Manning to focus on their primary positions. Nading takes the roster spot of Mario Williams, who was placed on injured reserve with a torn pectoral muscle.

The Texans released running back Chris Ogbonnaya and wide receiver David Anderson. They signed linebacker Thaddeus Gibson and wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias to their practice squad.
:kicksrock: I was hoping to see some Conan action in the endzone. Here's a step by step instruction from David himself, to guide you in the process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9UMwO6-rA

i didn't watch the game. how did brooks reed look in replacement for mario? he didn't put up a bad stat line given it was his first start and against the ravens. is their promise there?

i didn't watch the game. how did brooks reed look in replacement for mario? he didn't put up a bad stat line given it was his first start and against the ravens. is their promise there?
There is something there and Kubiak gave him praise during his press conference. 3-4 OLB from a fantasy thing are always a bbbit hit or miss, but he has a good first step and some instincts. Not convinced he going to be 15 sack guy, but 8-10 is realm of possibility.

Looks like Manning could be out 8 - 10 weeks

"Danieal Manning looks to be out at least eight to 10 weeks after breaking his leg, reports John McClain of the Houston Chronicle. "

I will say if someone had told me the Texans would be 4 -3 with a 2-0 in their division and they didn't have AJ and Mario play in a number of their games I would have taken it. The Manning injury might end up being worse injury in terms of the defense than when Mario went down. Hopefully they'll pick up the slack.

Trindon Holliday released again. Safety Quintin Demps signed. Sherrick McManis will return kickoffs and Jacoby Jones will go back to returning punts.

Gregr I thought I heard will demps on the radio today? This manning injury is big. I hope nolan is ready...

Big win against the Titans. They have to win the next two games, home vs. Jax and Cleveland to build some momentum for the stretch run (as well

as get 3 games over .500 for the first time in franchise history).

Kubiak has to make sure he has his players ready and executing to win these next two games. Even with Jax's big win vs. Baltimore there

is still no excuse for losing to these two teams at home.

Bears just cut safety Chris Harris, who was a second team All-Pro last year. Given the Texans need at the position have to wonder if they'll put in a claim on him, though I imagine someone with earlier priority will get him.

Anyone else thinking that the Jag's come out flat against Houston after Monday nights game with the Ravens?
They may start out flat, but the Jags have always played a tough game vs the Texans, no matter what the talent level is on both teams. Who can forget last season's Hail Mary??? :(

Big injury during the Jacksonville game:

"SportsRadio 610 has learned that LB Darryl Sharpton suffered a torn quadracep muscle. Surgery is planned and Sharpton is likely out for the season."

Head coach Gary Kubiak said today on The Gary Kubiak Show on SportsRadio 610 that they will sign a free agent linebacker to the team, possibly on Wednesday.

As far as Sharpton's injury goes, the 2nd year player from Miami was surprisingly sharing significant time with starter DeMeco Ryans at inside linebacker. Also, Sharpton is an outstanding special teams player, so his absence will be felt there as well. Sharpton played well as a rookie last season, and was only getting better until this injury. Hopefully he comes back to full strength before next season.

If this team gets healthy, they are going to win the Super Bowl. This from a Packers fan with no Texans on my fantasy rosters. Love what they are doing with down there.

If this team gets healthy, they are going to win the Super Bowl. This from a Packers fan with no Texans on my fantasy rosters. Love what they are doing with down there.
I think you are overestimating Kubiak's ability to outcoach someone in a big game, or get his team to win a tough road game. For instance, if it came down to Texans/Packers in the Superbowl, I am definitely taking the Packers because Dom Capers knows what to do to slow down other teams offenses and Wade Phillips defenses generally don't perform well in the playoffs when good talent matches up with good talent and the coaching is the difference maker.The Texans are definitely building up a talent base, but I don't think it is enough yet to overcome their coaching shortcomings. Playoff team, yes.Superbowl team? Not yet.

I think you are overestimating Kubiak's ability to outcoach someone in a big game, or get his team to win a tough road game. For instance, if it came down to Texans/Packers in the Superbowl, I am definitely taking the Packers because Dom Capers knows what to do to slow down other teams offenses and Wade Phillips defenses generally don't perform well in the playoffs when good talent matches up with good talent and the coaching is the difference maker.The Texans are definitely building up a talent base, but I don't think it is enough yet to overcome their coaching shortcomings. Playoff team, yes.Superbowl team? Not yet.
Never bet against a hot team though. If they heat up when Andre comes back, could be tough.

Never bet against a hot team though. If they heat up when Andre comes back, could be tough.
Agreed. Andre could definitely be a difference maker in the playoffs. The one thing I don't understand is why Andre doesn't score more touchdowns. The most he has had in a season is 9 and there is no reason with his talent and size he shouldn't have 13 or 14 TD's every year. I don't know if Kubiak goes away from him in the red zone because other teams take him away, or if Schaub shies away from throwing to him in tight coverage in the red zone. If you watch Stafford with Calvin Johnson, he doesn't care if he is triple covered in the endzone, he is throwing it to him and letting his man make the play (which he is talented enough to do). I think Kubiak/Schaub (I don't know which) are underutilizing Johnson when it comes to scoring points.

In a thread during preseason I brought up some interesting Texans red zone stats. IIRC, Andre was getting targeted about twice as much as the next guy in the red zone when the ball was 10 or more yards out.

However when they actually get down inside the 10, Walter was getting as many targets as AJ, and I want to say that Daniels was not far behind. So I think part of it is play calling and scheme, yes.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Saber, but I think most Texans fans will be ecstatic if we can just make the playoffs since we've never done it before. It's encouraging that even in the 3 games we lost we were able to hang with the opponent and had the lead at one point in the game. However, Kubiak & company have a long way to go before they have the fanbases trust. Winning the division this year and a solid showing in our first ever playoff game would be a major leap forward.

Big injury during the Jacksonville game: "SportsRadio 610 has learned that LB Darryl Sharpton suffered a torn quadracep muscle. Surgery is planned and Sharpton is likely out for the season."Head coach Gary Kubiak said today on The Gary Kubiak Show on SportsRadio 610 that they will sign a free agent linebacker to the team, possibly on Wednesday. As far as Sharpton's injury goes, the 2nd year player from Miami was surprisingly sharing significant time with starter DeMeco Ryans at inside linebacker. Also, Sharpton is an outstanding special teams player, so his absence will be felt there as well. Sharpton played well as a rookie last season, and was only getting better until this injury. Hopefully he comes back to full strength before next season.
Sharpton has been a big contributor because DeMeco is still not 100% after the elbow injury in the preseason. DeMeco is still playing with that massive brace on his arm, dude looks like Robocop out there.I'm not sure who moves into Sharpton's role (Dobbins?) LB'er is our deepest position, but we've now lost 2 for the year and most of the rest of the active roster is OLB types. Thankfully Brooks Reed & Barwin have stepped up with Mario out, hopefully we can find the same for Sharpton.

I was looking at Cleveland's statistics this year, and I really don't see how the Texans lose this next game.

Cleveland has the 26th ranked offense in the league. They are averaging 3.2 yards per rushing attempt. They have no big time receivers. Colt McCoy,

while adequate, does not scare you. While their defense is ranked 5th in yardage given up, Keep in mind that their three wins were against Indy, Miami, and Seattle; one of their losses was against Andy Dalton in his first start; and another lose was to the Raiders in which Kyle Boller played more than half the game. The defense also does not force turnovers (8 TO's forced in 7 games).

They are also on the road for the second week in a row, having had to go to the west coast last week.

Could the Texans be 3 games over .500? I believe so. If not, the team will have some 'splaining to do.

Looks like Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts will be the broadcast crew this weekend. I'm so glad Gus Johnson got moved to college football.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Saber, but I think most Texans fans will be ecstatic if we can just make the playoffs since we've never done it before. It's encouraging that even in the 3 games we lost we were able to hang with the opponent and had the lead at one point in the game. However, Kubiak & company have a long way to go before they have the fanbases trust. Winning the division this year and a solid showing in our first ever playoff game would be a major leap forward.
Stuff happens. Before last season it was said that Rodgers couldn't perform in the playoffs.

Chris Myers is currently the top rated center by ProFootballFocus.https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/03/stories-of-the-season-taking-center-stage/

...The Inspiration for this articleCurrently topping our rankings for the center position is a player who has been primed to take advantage of any slip from Messrs.’ Mangold and Birk for a while now, Houston center Chris Myers (+18.9). Myers was our third-ranked center last season and ranked on a par with Birk and Mangold in terms of his run blocking ability, but was let down by his pass protection. This year he has elevated his play as a pass protector without losing any of his fine play as a run blocker in the Houston zone scheme that he fits so perfectly. Denver should be absolutely kicking themselves that they let him get away back in 2007 as the gulf in class between him and their current center J.D. Walton (-13.6) couldn’t be wider with Walton our bottom-ranked center on the year. Needless to say, he isn’t one of our “centers of attention”.Center is an extremely tough position to play and possibly more so than any other position on the line, how well you fit and how well you play is dictated by the schemes you face during the season. Myers will only face two “true” 3-4 defenses, along with the Ravens who play some 3-4 but operate with a nose tackle on most plays, and those tests are behind him. For the rest of the season Myers faces the sort of 4-3 defense that he excels against, working laterally to pick up and pass off blocks from guards and work to the second level.One of the measures of Myers’ improvement this season comes in regard to his play against those nose tackles. Last season his three worst games – games that cost him being considered on the level of the top two centers – came against Dallas, San Diego and the New York Jets. Three teams that operate nose tackles, three nose tackles (Jay Ratliff, Antonio Garay and Sione Pouha) that Myers struggled to handle one-on-one. Wind the clock on twelve months and you see a frame shift in Myers’ performances against NTs. This year two of his best performances as a run blocker came against Miami and Pittsburgh where going one-on-one with Paul Soliai and Casey Hampton he showed that he was no longer the soft touch he had once been in this regard. In fact, it wouldn’t be a stretch to say this jump in form against nose tackles has seen Chris Myers elevate himself to that highest plateau, alongside Nick Mangold and Matt Birk as the three best centers in the league today....

For any Houstonians looking for tickets and with the day off today to go driving about town...

The Texans have a twitter contest going. They are tweeting clues to a location they have someone waiting with tickets to the game. They just tweeted the first clue:

Clue No.1: My star at night, is big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas #SaluteToTheMilitary
I'm guessing they are somewhere at the San Jacinto monument. Rules for the contest at http://prod.static.texans.clubs.nfl.com/assets/clubimages/SalutetoMilitaryTwitterContestRules.pdf

Kubiak quotes about injuries from the Browns game:

“(DE) Antonio’s (Smith) got a little shoulder, he did not play much at all, if any, in the second half. I think he played a few plays. He will be day-to-day. And (DT) Earl Mitchell got a little ankle. We had a little scare with Antonio, but we think we’re going to be ok, so we’ll keep pushing forward.”

Sunday went about as well around the AFC as it could for the Texans. Titans lose. Entire AFC West drop to at least 4 losses. Entire AFC East drop to at least 3 losses.

Only things I might have hoped for differently would have been a Steelers win (since we own tiebreak if it comes down to it), and a Colts win (so less chance of getting Luck).

Still a very long way to go though. Just need to keep winning.

Chris Myers is currently the top rated center by ProFootballFocus.https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/11/03/stories-of-the-season-taking-center-stage/

...The Inspiration for this articleCurrently topping our rankings for the center position is a player who has been primed to take advantage of any slip from Messrs.’ Mangold and Birk for a while now, Houston center Chris Myers (+18.9). Myers was our third-ranked center last season and ranked on a par with Birk and Mangold in terms of his run blocking ability, but was let down by his pass protection. This year he has elevated his play as a pass protector without losing any of his fine play as a run blocker in the Houston zone scheme that he fits so perfectly. Denver should be absolutely kicking themselves that they let him get away back in 2007 as the gulf in class between him and their current center J.D. Walton (-13.6) couldn’t be wider with Walton our bottom-ranked center on the year. Needless to say, he isn’t one of our “centers of attention”.Center is an extremely tough position to play and possibly more so than any other position on the line, how well you fit and how well you play is dictated by the schemes you face during the season. Myers will only face two “true” 3-4 defenses, along with the Ravens who play some 3-4 but operate with a nose tackle on most plays, and those tests are behind him. For the rest of the season Myers faces the sort of 4-3 defense that he excels against, working laterally to pick up and pass off blocks from guards and work to the second level.One of the measures of Myers’ improvement this season comes in regard to his play against those nose tackles. Last season his three worst games – games that cost him being considered on the level of the top two centers – came against Dallas, San Diego and the New York Jets. Three teams that operate nose tackles, three nose tackles (Jay Ratliff, Antonio Garay and Sione Pouha) that Myers struggled to handle one-on-one. Wind the clock on twelve months and you see a frame shift in Myers’ performances against NTs. This year two of his best performances as a run blocker came against Miami and Pittsburgh where going one-on-one with Paul Soliai and Casey Hampton he showed that he was no longer the soft touch he had once been in this regard. In fact, it wouldn’t be a stretch to say this jump in form against nose tackles has seen Chris Myers elevate himself to that highest plateau, alongside Nick Mangold and Matt Birk as the three best centers in the league today....
Thanks for the info. I drafted Foster with my # 1 pick in two leagues and started off slowly. Things are picking up nicely and the article above partially explains why Foster & Tate can run for 100 plus, isn't this the 2nd time in 3 weeks?

Sunday went about as well around the AFC as it could for the Texans. Titans lose. Entire AFC West drop to at least 4 losses. Entire AFC East drop to at least 3 losses. Only things I might have hoped for differently would have been a Steelers win (since we own tiebreak if it comes down to it), and a Colts win (so less chance of getting Luck).Still a very long way to go though. Just need to keep winning.
My guess is that the 4th seed will be whoever wins the AFC West with the 3rd seed being the AFC East winner. Those teams are all just beating up on each other within their divisions. Leaving the Ravens & us as the 1 & 2. Wildcards will be Pitt & 1 of the Pats, Bills or Jets. Dare I dream of not only the playoffs but a 1st round bye? :unsure: Way too soon to tell of course, let's see how we do the next 4 games. Despite having the 3rd "easiest" schedule remaining according to the radio yesterday: @ Tampa, @ Jax, Atl & @ Cinci is not a cake walk. Here's to hopefully getting Andre back after the Bye :banned:

Sunday went about as well around the AFC as it could for the Texans. Titans lose. Entire AFC West drop to at least 4 losses. Entire AFC East drop to at least 3 losses. Only things I might have hoped for differently would have been a Steelers win (since we own tiebreak if it comes down to it), and a Colts win (so less chance of getting Luck).Still a very long way to go though. Just need to keep winning.
My guess is that the 4th seed will be whoever wins the AFC West with the 3rd seed being the AFC East winner. Those teams are all just beating up on each other within their divisions. Leaving the Ravens & us as the 1 & 2. Wildcards will be Pitt & 1 of the Pats, Bills or Jets. Dare I dream of not only the playoffs but a 1st round bye? :unsure: Way too soon to tell of course, let's see how we do the next 4 games. Despite having the 3rd "easiest" schedule remaining according to the radio yesterday: @ Tampa, @ Jax, Atl & @ Cinci is not a cake walk. Here's to hopefully getting Andre back after the Bye :banned:
I think a first round bye is very doable. The next 4 are key and I think they go 3-1 assuming they take care of business this week against Tampa Bay which I assume will be without AJ. None of these next 4 are teams that particularly scare me although 3 appear to be good enough to give Houston a game, especially if Houston is on the road. I will say that Cinci has had a pretty easy road, up to this point. Now they get Pittsburgh twice and Baltimore once before they play Houston, so that could be 3 losses and give the Texans a good idea of how to rattle Dalton. Atlanta is pretty potent, but at least the Texans get them at home.I will say that, assuming Andre comes back healthy, offensively and defensively, the Texans appear to be the most balanced team in the AFC. They really don't have any glaring weaknesses thanks to the improved pass rush and improved secondary.

'Buckna said:
'Greg Russell said:
I was shocked to hear Bill Cowher on Sunday predict (prior to gave vs CLE) that Texans will finish 12-4 with home field through out playoffs.

'Buckna said:
'Greg Russell said:
I was shocked to hear Bill Cowher on Sunday predict (prior to gave vs CLE) that Texans will finish 12-4 with home field through out playoffs.
The schedlue actually sets up well for the Texans, but I am too jaded to predict any team to go on a 6-1 streak to close the season, especially one no particualr history of playing well outside of its current streak.

For you Houstonians... free 20 ounce slushies at Sonic today, as they have a promotion where they are free if the Texans score on the first drive of the 3rd quarter.

Users who are viewing this thread