What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Risky Is It To Start Players Who Might Be Traded? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
Seeing reports of Hunt, Cooks and other potentially being trade targets.

If you roster such a player, with what degree of confidence will you be starting them?

Hunt has underachieved to date, but he’s still a player many are counting on at Flex. Likewise with Cooks, and some others.

Will their respective teams start them to potentially build value? Or are they more likely to bench them to keep them healthy for a trade?

Fortunately, or unfortunately, I don’t believe I currently foster any such players, but I find the subject fascinating.

If you’re a Hunt shareholder, for example, are you worried about starting him in the SNF game?

If you’re the Browns GM, how do you handle Hunt if you’re considering dealing him?

The Browns are especially interesting, because if they win they’re 3-5, and very much in it. If they lose they’re 2-6 & would seem more likely to be sellers.

Your thoughts?

As for Cooks, he currently has a fake wrist injury. If he sits week 8, I guarantee he gets traded.
What about the Hunt conundrum?

I can only imagine that shareholders are twisting a little over that roster decision, especially given the prime time start.

As for Cooks, he currently has a fake wrist injury. If he sits week 8, I guarantee he gets traded.

I can only imagine that shareholders are twisting a little over that roster decision, especially given the prime time start.
I dunno about Hunt, but if he sits due to a phantom injury, my guess is he is gone from CLE.
Hunt is the only one I'm worried about. All others you have a chance to make lineup changes. If it's Hunt vs. close-to-Hunt, choose the latter.

I'm starting Michael Carter over Hunt. Its not like Hunt has been tearing it up anyway but couple that with the trade rumors and I'm sitting him.
I definitely think it's risky if they are planning to trade him, if any indication just look at James Robinson usage last Sunday.

A Texans beat writer I follow is guessing that Cooks won't be active but I think he'd probably admit it's just a guess based on what he would do. But if they are remotely close to a deal that would be quite a gamble for a losing team to play him and if he's hurt risk being stuck carrying his $18M salary next year. That he plays in the late afternoon slot also takes a lot of options away. I've pulled him from only two lineups I had him. One because I had a good option, the other because I had no backup option past the early Sunday kickoff.

If Hunt was playing Sunday I'd feel relatively ok putting him in a lineup. The major concern is a deal is reached on Monday. An injury could happen Sunday to open up his market and teams will re-assess where they are and what they need between end of Sunday and the trade deadline on Tuesday. I have pulled him from every lineup I have him.

That's about it for my trade deadline concerns.

If Hunt was playing Sunday I'd feel relatively ok putting him in a lineup. The major concern is a deal is reached on Monday. An injury could happen Sunday to open up his market and teams will re-assess where they are and what they need between end of Sunday and the trade deadline on Tuesday. I have pulled him from every lineup I have him.

This is the one that I find most fascinating, and most challenging for FF shareholders.

I think you’re probably making the correct call pulling him from lineups.

What’s most interesting to me is that in addition to other team needs as you’d mentioned, the Browns are a coin-flip from competing. If they win and they’re 3-5, with Watson coming back in a few weeks, I would imagine they’d want to keep Hunt & let him walk in the off-season.

But if they lose & are 2-6, why hold onto him?

And there’s the rub: do they need Hunt to win that game? I would suggest they do.

But that risks injury.

Gonna be interesting to see how it all goes down.

A Texans beat writer I follow is guessing that Cooks won't be active but I think he'd probably admit it's just a guess based on what he would do. But if they are remotely close to a deal that would be quite a gamble for a losing team to play him and if he's hurt risk being stuck carrying his $18M salary next year. That he plays in the late afternoon slot also takes a lot of options away. I've pulled him from only two lineups I had him. One because I had a good option, the other because I had no backup option past the early Sunday kickoff.

Cooks is my headache this morning, thanks for this. Also pulling Cooks for W Robinson X2 and Engram once.

Also sat Hunt x3.

I'm starting Michael Carter over Hunt. Its not like Hunt has been tearing it up anyway but couple that with the trade rumors and I'm sitting him.
I definitely think it's risky if they are planning to trade him, if any indication just look at James Robinson usage last Sunday.
You think carter will play more than Robinson?

You think carter will play more than Robinson?
That's not the question. The question is will Carter play more than Hunt?

This is where I'm at.

Users who are viewing this thread