What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I’ve never seen Field of Dreams (1 Viewer)

Have you ever seen field of dreams the movie?

• Yes

Votes: 130 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 23.1%

• Total voters
Is that weird?  I’m aware of it and have seen some highlights and I know the famous quotes like “wanna play catch”

I just feel like it’s one of those movies everyone has seen

am I in the minority?
:shrug:  For a guy who spends time in s a sports forum, it’s kinda weird not to have seen it. 
My wife hasn’t seen it but its not her wheel house  

I found it a bit too maudlin.  I also could never really wrap my head my head around James Earl Jones’ character being infatuated with an era in baseball when blacks were forbidden from playing.
You can't wrap your head around the idea of a black kid in Brooklyn in the 1950s being inspired by Jackie Robinson? Come on.

You can't wrap your head around the idea of a black kid in Brooklyn in the 1950s being inspired by Jackie Robinson? Come on.
He mentioned being inspired by Jackie Robinson, but there were no black players in there -- everyone was white. For a Dodger, they included Gil Hodges but not Jackie Robinson, even though they played together. Maybe they could have put in Josh Gibson somewhere, as someone who died young and was denied his opportunity by segregation. 

If I was a 1960s black peace activist like Mann was supposed to be, I'd be complaining "What the heck? We even get excluded in the afterlife?"

Last edited by a moderator:
He mentioned being inspired by Jackie Robinson, but there were no black players in there -- everyone was white. For a Dodger, they included Gil Hodges but not Jackie Robinson, even though they played together. Maybe they could have put in Josh Gibson somewhere, as someone who died young and was denied his opportunity by segregation. 
Jackie started with the Dodgers in 1947, so the timing would work.

Well, "Gil Hodges!" is just one of the worst anachronisms in the history of film, there's no disputing that one.
Telling Ty Cobb to stick it is a popular take though, even if also an anachronism.

Im a huge baseball fan and Ive never seen it. Always thought it looked comically cheesy. Ive never seen Titanic (or probably hundreds of other movies people love) either, so not a good judge of these type of things.

ive never seen any which way you can which is the sequel to any which way but loose but it does have that loveable rapscallion clint eastwood and that hilarious ape named clyde so should i watch it or what take that to the bank bromigos 

It's no "Natural" 

I'd watch Robert Redford,  The Dad from Christmas Story and Kim Bassinger any day over Kevin Costner and my buddy JEJ but that's me. 

If I was a 1960s black peace activist like Mann was supposed to be, I'd be complaining "What the heck? We even get excluded in the afterlife?"

I used to work with a Terence Mann.  He was more Spicoli then peace activist though.

Best Costner baseball movies, ranked:

1)  For the Love of the Game

2)  The Upside of Anger

Tied

3) Field of Dreams 

3) Bull Durham

:ducking:

Best Costner movies, ranked:

2)  The Upside of Anger

Tied

3) Field of Dreams 

3) Bull Durham

For the Hate of the game actually makes my "top five worst movies of all time" list.  Your list must be upside down you Tutunka.

identikit said:
Best Costner baseball movies, ranked:

2)  The Upside of Anger

Tied

3) Field of Dreams 

3) Bull Durham

I've only seen the two tied for 3rd.....I'm not a huge Costner fan honestly.

A newer baseball movie that I thoroughly enjoyed was trouble with the curve....

A newer baseball movie that I thoroughly enjoyed was trouble with the curve....
I really like Moneyball.  Came out 10 years ago already.  Dang.

Love Field of Dreams.  Very sentimental movie to me now that my dad is getting up there in age.  :(  

One thing that was odd to me when I saw it in the theater was the famous, "Want to have a catch?" line.  At the time, I had never heard it said like that.  We always said, "Want to play catch?"  Is that a regional thing?  :shrug:  

Just watched that clip again and it still got very dusty.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
One thing that was odd to me when I saw it in the theater was the famous, "Want to have a catch?" line.  At the time, I had never heard it said like that.  We always said, "Want to play catch?"  Is that a regional thing?  :shrug:  
Same here. It's play catch in Wisconsin. Iowa is weird maybe.

I love baseball. Its my favorite sport.

The movie is not very good. 

ETA: Maybe that's being overly harsh. Its just ok.

Same here. It's play catch in Wisconsin. Iowa is weird maybe.

That's the thing.  It's play catch in Nebraska which shares a lot of dialect with Iowa.  Like "pop" instead of 'soda".

But for sure, Iowa is weird.
If it is an Iowa thing, it must be the heathen in eastern Iowa because in western Iowa it is play catch.

From a Costner Interview:

Costner revealed it was a regional line. Some places, it’s "Do you want to have a catch?" Other places, like Iowa, it’s “Do you want to play catch?”

The script called for the non-Midwestern version, and that’s the way the iconic line stood.

Costner honestly might be the worst famous actor who ever lived.
well he's even a worse musician......He "played" in a band.....somehow my wife ended up seeing it.....he "strums" a guitar while decent musicians prop him up and they have movie scenes in the background......I think she saw him in Reno....woulda been 10+ years ago.

I really like Moneyball.  Came out 10 years ago already.  Dang.

Love Field of Dreams.  Very sentimental movie to me now that my dad is getting up there in age.  :(  

Just watched that clip again and it still got very dusty.

❤️

From a Costner Interview:

Costner revealed it was a regional line. Some places, it’s "Do you want to have a catch?" Other places, like Iowa, it’s “Do you want to play catch?”

The script called for the non-Midwestern version, and that’s the way the iconic line stood.
Well that's just dumb.  I walked out of the movie shortly after.

None of you are missing much. Costner at his most Costner-y (read wooden). It feels way longer than it’s run time. It’s own ghost logic is broken a few times. The corn becomes a continuity error. Either the movie spans one week or the corn is inter dimensional.

Expand this. 

Expand this. 
N o n e  o f  y o u  a r e  m i s s i n g  m u c h .  C o s t n e r  a t  h i s  m o s t  C o s t n e r - y  ( r e a d  w o o d e n ) .  I t  f e e l s  w a y  l o n g e r  t h a n  i t ‘ s  r u n  t i m e .  I t ‘ s  o w n  g h o s t  l o g i c  i s  b r o k e n  a  f e w  t i m e s.  T h e  c o r n  b e c o m e s  a  c o n t i n u i t y  e r r o r .  E i t h e r  t h e  m o v i e  s p a n s  o n e  w e e k  o r  t h e  c o r n  i s  i n t e r  d i m e n s i o n a l .

N o n e  o f  y o u  a r e  m i s s i n g  m u c h .  C o s t n e r  a t  h i s  m o s t  C o s t n e r - y  ( r e a d  w o o d e n ) .  I t  f e e l s  w a y  l o n g e r  t h a n  i t ‘ s  r u n  t i m e .  I t ‘ s  o w n  g h o s t  l o g i c  i s  b r o k e n  a  f e w  t i m e s.  T h e  c o r n  b e c o m e s  a  c o n t i n u i t y  e r r o r .  E i t h e r  t h e  m o v i e  s p a n s  o n e  w e e k  o r  t h e  c o r n  i s  i n t e r  d i m e n s i o n a l .
Cute

Explain the corn is a continuity error?  Didn't he just plow under the corn he had, I don't think he planted it but maybe can't remember?  I always thought it was stupid that the 2 acres he had devoted to a corn field was thought to be a path to bankruptcy, that amount of corn would have netted about 300 bucks/ac.  At worst it's 250 bucks in profit all in he mowed down or didn't plant.  

Cute

Explain the corn is a continuity error?  Didn't he just plow under the corn he had, I don't think he planted it but maybe can't remember?  I always thought it was stupid that the 2 acres he had devoted to a corn field was thought to be a path to bankruptcy, that amount of corn would have netted about 300 bucks/ac.  At worst it's 250 bucks in profit all in he mowed down or didn't plant.  
When he plows under the corn it is nearly 6 feet tall. When the last game is played it is fully tasseled. This would take about 3 weeks at most. 

When he plows under the corn it is nearly 6 feet tall. When the last game is played it is fully tasseled. This would take about 3 weeks at most. 

I mean I'm ok with it.  The movie people said they had a hell of a time getting the corn to grow at all, it delayed the production.  I mean it wasn't like he left to Boston with an empty field to come back to it fully done.  There are a lot of other funny things they sort of let go.

So you have a problem with the continuity of the corn field in a movie that has a mysterious voice in the corn field telling him to build it?
I draw the line at old guys turning young then old when they leave the field

Users who are viewing this thread