What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I drafted a good team that I hate last night... (1 Viewer)

Gatorman

Supreme Elite Maximum Tier
So went into the draft with a plan, and value started falling to me. Problem is/was some of the value are players I have no real opinions on. I know they are good, but sheesh its like getting a box full of puppies of a breed you don't like. This is not a "rate my draft", more just a strange experience

Drafting from the 4 hole and CMAC falls to me... Ok, mash that button, thought I was getting Ekeler. (someone took Tyreek 2nd overall)
Next Round: waiting on Waddle and Davante Adams falls to me. Ok, not thrilled with the vegas raiders, but Adams is the goods and Waddle was dinged up in the preseason.
Watch all the "young WRs" fly off during the turn: Waddle, Olave, Ridley, and then Devonte Smith... All gone, leaving me with TEE HIGGINS.

Suffice to say I have a solid team (got Aaron Jones at 5, Goedert 6, Pacheco at 8) but these are not the guys I scouted bc I did not think any of them would be there...
Waited on QB (because I always do) and figured I'd go to war with Geno Smith or Daniel Jones only to have Cousins fall to me.

Anyone have a draft that just goes sideways but in a good way? I've had plenty of drafts go sideways bc I missed out on people, but not a draft where I got better than expected and still kind of feel "meh" about the team.

The first question I want to ask you is did you review the league scoring to explain the behavior of the rest of the league?
Maybe you missed something? Like TE-P? or Bonus scoring for running QB's? Bonus value for long TDs?

Since this appears to be a "Redraft", the age is not as critical (Adams vs Waddle) , but sometimes fate throws you 4-of a kind and the rest of the league gets straights & flushes.

but these are not the guys I scouted bc I did not think any of them would be there...
Then maybe you should have done more scouting. Real drafts are unpredictable. A lot of people don't cling to ADP.
not my first rodeo. I scout everyone but then focus on adp especially when drafting from the corners. Did a bunch of mocks and same thing, never saw cmac, Adam’s, or Jones in any of those (Wilson falling, chase falling, James cook going early, saw all of those).

again It’s a solid team, it’s simply not the team I expected. It’s also one thing to get surprised for 1 or 2 rounds, but the board was all over the place through round 9.

The first question I want to ask you is did you review the league scoring to explain the behavior of the rest of the league?
Maybe you missed something? Like TE-P? or Bonus scoring for running QB's? Bonus value for long TDs?

Since this appears to be a "Redraft", the age is not as critical (Adams vs Waddle) , but sometimes fate throws you 4-of a kind and the rest of the league gets straights & flushes.
I’m the commish! lol. I was also drafting around guys I knew their preferences and still all this went this way. I’m not upset about the team just that it’s not full of guys I’m excited about. Just very very weird

Completely understand this feeling. I've had these teams in the past. There is always a line where you just have to take somebody, but these days I very much go after who I really want. One perspective I've kind of adopted is trying to view my team from the finished product rather than getting hung up on what round I am in and the average ADP of who goes where.

Completely understand this feeling. I've had these teams in the past. There is always a line where you just have to take somebody, but these days I very much go after who I really want. One perspective I've kind of adopted is trying to view my team from the finished product rather than getting hung up on what round I am in and the average ADP of who goes where.
Yes, people are too hung up on that.

So went into the draft with a plan, and value started falling to me. Problem is/was some of the value are players I have no real opinions on. I know they are good, but sheesh its like getting a box full of puppies of a breed you don't like. This is not a "rate my draft", more just a strange experience

Drafting from the 4 hole and CMAC falls to me... Ok, mash that button, thought I was getting Ekeler. (someone took Tyreek 2nd overall)
Next Round: waiting on Waddle and Davante Adams falls to me. Ok, not thrilled with the vegas raiders, but Adams is the goods and Waddle was dinged up in the preseason.
Watch all the "young WRs" fly off during the turn: Waddle, Olave, Ridley, and then Devonte Smith... All gone, leaving me with TEE HIGGINS.

Suffice to say I have a solid team (got Aaron Jones at 5, Goedert 6, Pacheco at 8) but these are not the guys I scouted bc I did not think any of them would be there...
Waited on QB (because I always do) and figured I'd go to war with Geno Smith or Daniel Jones only to have Cousins fall to me.

Anyone have a draft that just goes sideways but in a good way? I've had plenty of drafts go sideways bc I missed out on people, but not a draft where I got better than expected and still kind of feel "meh" about the team.
I find that when this happens I usually have a good team.

When you are getting players you wouldnt go out of your way for or reach to take that usually means you got good value, which usually leads to good results.

I had one go just like that and I posted about it in the Draft Regerts thread. I felt like it was because I caught some falling value in one round, and then spent the rest of the draft trying to get back inside the wake and never could catch the right angle for it.

Drafting from the 12 spot (1PPR) and had Andrews rated as a mid third rounder who never once fell to me in a mock. I'd built my whole draft plan around targeting a middle TE and just flat out ignored Kelce/Andrews/Hockenson. Then Andrews falls in my lap at the 3/4 turn so I stuck to my rankings and took him, but then felt like I was chasing RBs the rest of the way because I was so conditioned to taking a RB/WR pairing there and I ended up taking TE/WR.

I still like my team and ended up fine at RB I think, but it threw me into an impromptu Zero RB strat that I hadn't planned on doing.

This usually happens to me when I draft in the middle. Just a disjointed team that I generally don't care for (and not in a way that it's a bad team).....just players I don't usually target. My teams are a lot more cohesive from an end for planning purposes.

CMC
Adams
Higgins...you'll be fine
lol. yeah I know. Thought I'd have Ekeler, Waddle, Olave(ridley) so not sure what my gripe is, but you spend so much time splitting hairs on who you think will be available to you (do I like waddle more than Devonte Smith ETC...) that a Higher rated guy just doesn't compute.

but these are not the guys I scouted bc I did not think any of them would be there...
Then maybe you should have done more scouting. Real drafts are unpredictable. A lot of people don't cling to ADP.
not my first rodeo. I scout everyone but then focus on adp especially when drafting from the corners. Did a bunch of mocks and same thing, never saw cmac, Adam’s, or Jones in any of those (Wilson falling, chase falling, James cook going early, saw all of those).

again It’s a solid team, it’s simply not the team I expected. It’s also one thing to get surprised for 1 or 2 rounds, but the board was all over the place through round 9.

Yeah, sometimes it just goes that way. Looks like you did a great job though.

Not trying to call you out, but you should be focusing on everyone almost equally. You NEVER know how a draft is going to go, so you should be ready for anything. Focusing on ADP is good, but you should also have your rankings. Did you have Adams ranked above Waddle? CMC ranked above Ekeler? If you did, then perfect, a guy fell to you, you drafted him, and you should be happy with that.

Yeah, sometimes it just goes that way. Looks like you did a great job though.
I'm sure he used the dominator. ;)

Not trying to call you out, but you should be focusing on everyone almost equally. You NEVER know how a draft is going to go, so you should be ready for anything. Focusing on ADP is good, but you should also have your rankings. Did you have Adams ranked above Waddle? CMC ranked above Ekeler? If you did, then perfect, a guy fell to you, you drafted him, and you should be happy with that.
Gotcha. i guess the better way to phrase it is I have finite time and have learned even the best projections are a crapshoot, so I focus on certain narratives. CMC is obviously a no brainer as are many of the other picks up whereas I’ve ”dialed down” on guys like ridley and waddle i didn’t spend a lot of time on the raiders. Thats obviously why I trust footballguys and people like Matt Harmon et Al but I don’t have a “feel” for every player anymore.

you could almost argue that the first 7 rounds of this draft was the “ADP Fallers” concept and while I think there is some merit to that approach I wouldnt say it’s what my initial intentions were

Gotcha. i guess the better way to phrase it is I have finite time and have learned even the best projections are a crapshoot, so I focus on certain narratives. CMC is obviously a no brainer as are many of the other picks up whereas I’ve ”dialed down” on guys like ridley and waddle i didn’t spend a lot of time on the raiders. Thats obviously why I trust footballguys and people like Matt Harmon et Al but I don’t have a “feel” for every player anymore.

you could almost argue that the first 7 rounds of this draft was the “ADP Fallers” concept and while I think there is some merit to that approach I wouldnt say it’s what my initial intentions were
Then why do you hate it? If my initial intentions are to sell 10 buckets of apples, but I sell 20 instead, that's a good thing.

I had that happen to me last year, but in my case I was getting people that I wanted and didn't expect to keep falling to me.
D.Henry, M.Andrews, T.Hill, K.Murray (oof), J.Jacobs, ARSB, R.Stevenson, D.Smith

People were drafting Cam Akers, AJ Dillon Chase Edmonds and the like while Jacobs just kept falling

The opposite happened to me this year.

Your thread was a good run up for MoP Jr's draft this evening, from the 4-spot

PPR League
QB-2RB-2WR-TE-Flex

1. Tyreek Hill-WR
2. ARSB-WR
3. Jahmyr Gibbs-RB
4. TJ Hockenso-TE
5. Kenny Walker-RB
6. Dalvin Cook-RB
7. Justin Herbert- QB, 4 pt Pass TD and Fields was still on the board
8. D.Swift-RB, Pacheco was swiped right before him
9. Brandin Cooks-WR
10. Jackson Smith Njigba-WR
11-Zay Flowers-WR
12-Kadarius Toney-WR
13-Dallas Cowboys-Def/ST
14-Elliot-PK

There might be a late pick or two at QB but they don't have deep benches

I feel like blabbing, please pardon me in advance for the long post. Stop reading now if you're not into a potentially rambling narrative.

I've been drafting almost non-stop since 08/28, across multiple formats. A bizarrely inordinate number of my randomly-selected Draft Positions have been near or at the back end of the 12-Team snake.

Tuesday and last night were my final 2 drafts, and my partner and I drew the #4 for Tuesday and #5 on Wednesday, our earliest picks of the entire Draft Season (yes, no 1, 2, 3, and only 1 4 and 1 5 in conventional formats, across a lot of Leagues. I did KDS select the 5 slot in my High Stakes local, but that scoring is so unique, it doesn't count for the purpose of this discussion).

We spent a few hours Monday night, post draft, prepping for what we were going to see on Tuesday from the 4th slot, and the path we charted came to fruition, almost 100% like we planned. Tuesday was one of the best drafts of the entire season. I was so pleased...and when I woke up yesterday AM, it seemed like all the 'draft season adrenaline' had drained out of me. I almost felt hung over. Exhausted. Hit the wall. Whatever. Just kinda felt like after how well Tuesday out of the 4 went, Wednesday out of the 5 would be cake - basically follow the same path we'd laid out for 4, change a few names, done.

FPC/FFPC Draft, and we were one of only 2 'badges' in the Draft Room, which means 10 players with lesser success/experience. Very unusual, and potential for chaos, especially because the other 'badge' was drafting from the 1 slot, which meant after we picked at 5, 6 through12 were likely to do some unpredictable off-the-wall stuff for 14 picks in a row, down and back.

Plus the Kelce thing adding to the mix.

Took our first share of Bijan at 1.05, after predictable post-Kelce JJ/CMC/Chase/Ekeler start. Our game plan for #4 on Tuesday had been built around leading off CMC/Ekeler (CMC), we had plenty of Diggs, and with Waddle a real possibility at 2.08, passed on Tyreek. Too early to take Chubb. Don't usually lead off with RB, so off to a different start.

The plan for 2.09 was best WR available from Waddle/Olave/Ridley, unless something unexpected fell to us. Nothing did, and Olave went 2.07, Ridley at 2.08. We'd taken Waddle the night before, preferred to diversify but not DvSmith, so pivoted again to premium RB, preferred Jacobs to Henry. 1st share of Jacobs, and 1st RB/RB start over many, many Drafts. Starting to get weird.

Unlikely scenario of Waddle falling to 3.05 didn't happen (other badge at the turn, of course). Plan was to have started RB/WR, and take Gibbs or best avaiable WR at 3.05. Mahomes/Hurts went late 2nd/early 3rd, along with, surprisingly, Waller and Hockenson. As there were several WR we still liked, and hoped would fall back to us at 4.08, and we already had an unconventional (for us) 2RB start, we decided to go experimental, and pass on Gibbs/WR. We took Josh Allen as QB3, 3rd QB in 5 picks, in conjunction with Waller/Hock going ahead of ADP, to see if we could tweak the run of lesser experienced drafters into starting an early QB/TE run, and push some stuff back to us. Up to this point, across umpteen drafts, we have not one share of a 'Big 3' QB, and precious few of the remaining members of the 'Big 8/9' - some Lamar, Fields and Lawrence, but mostly mid-range combos. Bizarre RB/RB/QB start, with no WR through 29 picks. Hmm...

Gamble didn't pan out. Only LJax and Herbert over next 14 picks. Additionally, no TE's were selected. Rather 6RB/6WR (which is how the 3rd/4th usually plays out) rounded out the 14 picks that got us back to 6.09, with our last true 'Alpha' (Amari Cooper) going at 6.08. Best Player available for us...an RB, of course (Kenneth Walker).

Anticipated Diontae Johnson at 5.05. Nope. Consolation prize, Mike Williams as WR1, 7.05. Not ideal. Thankfully, Lockett at 8.08, things getting back on track...

...until 7.05...Kirk/Engram both available and we're debating which piece of Jags offense we want to add as either WR3 or TE1. We're Kirk over Ridley guys, for a variety of reasons, but this is TE enhanced, and we could use either. Then we realize this is our last draft, and we've been wanting more shares of Kamara, and we have yet to acquire DMontgomery, a guy we'd really wanted on at least 1 Team. Those weren't good things to bring up with the seconds ticking away. The 'correct' move was to snatch the gift of falling ADP Kirk. Went Montgomery, and now have 4RB/2WR through 7 Rounds. Tried and true strategy completely out the window at this point.

Recovered a bit with Michael Thomas at 8.08, but passed on Engram to get that quality WR3 we needed. Engram and Kinkead both taken before our 9.05. At that point we're committing to this being an RB Team, and take McKinnon (one of our key guys) as RB5. Got Nico Collins as WR4 at 10.08. Meh.

Severely punted TE, but we've done that many times before, and not suffered for it. Confident something will work out.

Final Roster:
JAllen/Goff
Bijan/JJacobs/KWalker/DMontgomery/JMcKinnon/McLaughlin
MkWilliams/Lockett/MThomas/NCollins/Lazard/Hyatt/Gallup/Bourne
Ferguson/Kmet
Bass / Steelers

Woke up this morning, got myself a beer (after taking a look at that mess).

Now thinking 'can't end on that note', and with such a massive overlay in FPC, thinking about adding another Team, even though we hate not getting the 3-pack discount.

Had to vent. Thanks for reading.

I can empathize. In my home draft I expected to get Herbert or Burrow at the 4/5 turn. All mocks pointed that way. But Lamar kept falling and then the guy in front of me took Burrow and I reflexively took Herbert.
So I could have had Lamar but gave him to the guy after me. Might work out I guess, but I'm still questioning why I did that!

Users who are viewing this thread