What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I starting _______ over Matt Ryan this week (1 Viewer)

I'm actually starting Orton (Eli on a bye) over him this week. Jets give up passing TD's and he's been around 280/2 for a few weeks in a row. I need to see the Falcons' line at least start playing at CFL level for a week or so, and this matchup is terrible.
I never get these right. :pickle:

Started Glennon, was only 6 pts worse. Considering I had Flacco as starter all week and made the change today I did choose that poorly.

#StartYourStuds

In one league, where I am almost at "must win" territory...............(FK it, I am definitely in must win modus ) :)

I am contemplating picking up and starting Josh McCown over Matt Ryan this week. The sad news is, the rest of my team is absolutely loaded. I also had Carson Palmer, but he bit the dust, and so will my playoff chances if I don't win immediately.

I'm also at a point where I may even think about Hoyer too. (as bad as that sounds, with Gordon returning it might not be too far fetched)

I also have Matt Ryan in another league. (yeah I know, got him in 2 of 3 important leagues)

This is a 3 WR league, and my 3 starting WRs will be Demaryius Thomas, Julio Jones and Josh Gordon. (with Beckham and Decker on the bench)

I don't much like starting Ryan here either, but with Julio there also, I think I might just have to ride it out. I've already clinchd a playoff spot in this league, and they have some potential shootouts in 14-15-16.

I said it last year, but didn't follow my own advice.

Next year someone please send me an important PM warning telling me DO NOT DRAFT MATT RYAN AGAIN. :lol:

TZM

With Romo's injury an owner dropped him a couple weeks ago. I plan on playing Romo most weeks over Ryan the rest of the way.

Ryan has historically performed better at home than on the road. Look at his career splits. The same split is obvious in 2014 as well although a lot has to do with their TB game. He has essentially had four road games (three true road games plus a "home" game in London) in a row. His recent experience shouldn't affect what you decide for this week.

Their OL is a mess but I'm not sure I would be that scared of a Cleveland def on the road that is banged up right now. The Browns passing game also gets much better this week with the return of Gordon so as a Ryan owner, you want a shoot out.

Pfft....sitting Romo for Ryan this week. I like domes over frigid night games in the northeast when it comes to my QB.

Have the McCown or Ryan decision and am torn. McCown has been very good the last two games and has a juicy matchup versus the Bears and that upside has me leaning towards him over the low floor of Ryan at home.

come on now, if you cant use Ryan vs. Brownies at home indoors, you'll never use him.this is a game you drafted him for. he should light up Cleveland..the over is decent at 47, Falcons -3 is what scares me somewhat..Eli v. Dallas in a bounceback game or Flacco v. Saints seem to be two easy picks..

come on now, if you cant use Ryan vs. Brownies at home indoors, you'll never use him.this is a game you drafted him for. he should light up Cleveland..the over is decent at 47, Falcons -3 is what scares me somewhat..Eli v. Dallas in a bounceback game or Flacco v. Saints seem to be two easy picks..
There are only 5 other teams tougher than Cleveland on fantasy points allowed to QB

What makes the Brownies an easy matchup?

Only 2 300 yard games given up, have held 6 of 10 opposing teams to 1 TD or less

:2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
There are only 5 other teams tougher than Cleveland on fantasy points allowed to QB

Only 2 300 yard games given up, have held 6 of 10 opposing teams to 1 TD or less

Thats cuz teams can run on them

These are the QBs Cleveland faced:

Big Ben, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Charlie Whitehurst, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, Mike Glennon, Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallett

I never understood why people look at overall stats like that when making a decision. It depends on who is throwing the ball and where the game is being played.

I'm debating between Ryan, Hoyer and Sanchez.

The Titans just got burned for some 200 yards by Bell last week against the Steelers, combined with Sanchez's sub-par performance against the Packers make me think that the offense may run through Shady McCoy this week in Philly. So I'm not sure I want to start Sanchez.

Ryan, like people have said above me, is playing mediocre. No stinkers, yes, but he hasn't had a multiple touchdown game in some weeks. He strikes me as a safe play this week, especially if the Browns defense is banged up as someone above me stated.

Then there's Hoyer. He hasn't been flashy, but he's been dependable for the Browns. He has had a few stinkers such as his games against the Jags and last week against the Texans. Does Josh Gordon change that? We all remember Gordon's first game back last year, he tore it up. Will history repeat itself, and will Hoyer benefit? I'm leaning that way, especially considering how poor the Falcons D has been playing this season.

Thats cuz teams can run on themThese are the QBs Cleveland faced:

Big Ben, Drew Brees, Joe Flacco, Charlie Whitehurst, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, Mike Glennon, Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallett
Good points

Ryan. The guy is tough at home, runs hot and cold, been cold for a while - the time is now
I like the home logic but the cold, time is now stuff isn't much of an argument.
How about they took over 1st place in the division and are going to ramp things up.
:rolleyes: Yeah..... no to this argument. It's week 12 and teams are just now going to start taking things a bit more seriously and "ramp it up"? They are what they are and the division (even if they lead it) is the division. The fact is he's just not a great week to week option due to his inconsistencies.

Ryan. The guy is tough at home, runs hot and cold, been cold for a while - the time is now
I like the home logic but the cold, time is now stuff isn't much of an argument.
How about they took over 1st place in the division and are going to ramp things up.
:rolleyes: Yeah..... no to this argument. It's week 12 and teams are just now going to start taking things a bit more seriously and "ramp it up"? They are what they are and the division (even if they lead it) is the division. The fact is he's just not a great week to week option due to his inconsistencies.
Probably the two legit reasons to roll with Ryan are that he's at home where plays much better and that Cleveland isn't generating much of a pass rush lately so he might have time to throw the ball.

I think he will do ok. Only reason I am playing sanchez over him is the eagles offense is simply better than atl.

No stating they haven;t being playing hard - just that they got a shot at new life. It's like when you are playing ball and you have been behind - and now you-re tied - and even yells "new game." Not trying to talk you into playing him. Just saying I think he plays top 10 easy (seen him ranked 12) and probably top 8 and a shot at higher.

Really struggling with this one. For the guys starting sanchez over ryan , was it a really easy call for you? Cannot decide..

Really struggling with this one. For the guys starting sanchez over ryan , was it a really easy call for you? Cannot decide..
I think I'd still start Sanchez over Ryan, but it is possible both have good/similar games. The Browns are #8 in QB aFPA, but if you look the last 6 of 7 QB's they have played: Whitehurst, Bortles, Carr, Glennon, Dalton, Mallett. I'm not convinced they can stop Ryan at home. Could be wrong because the Falcons O-line is really that bad but I still think Ryan gets it done at home and hooks up with Julio for a couple.

those two are really a tossup. Ryan has the higher floor but lower ceiling IMO. When things are a cointoss i like going with the more talented player and thats ryan. Really your call

I think I'd still start Sanchez over Ryan, but it is possible both have good/similar games. The Browns are #8 in QB aFPA, but if you look the last 6 of 7 QB's they have played: Whitehurst, Bortles, Carr, Glennon, Dalton, Mallett. I'm not convinced they can stop Ryan at home. Could be wrong because the Falcons O-line is really that bad but I still think Ryan gets it done at home and hooks up with Julio for a couple.
Ryan's last several games. Note the home game vs. DET produced good stats:

7 @Bal 228 1 0 / 1 16.7

8 Det 228 2 1 / 0 21.7

9 BYE - - - -

10 @TB 219 1 0 / 0 19.8

11 @Car 268 1 0 / 0 20.2

7 @Bal 228 1 0 / 1 16.7

8 Det 228 2 1 / 0 21.7

9 BYE - - - -

10 @TB 219 1 0 / 0 19.8

11 @Car 268 1 0 / 0 20.2
the detroit game was in london. Hes played one home game in 8 weeks. He dominates at home. Even this year, check the splits. Its insane.

7 @Bal 228 1 0 / 1 16.7

8 Det 228 2 1 / 0 21.7

9 BYE - - - -

10 @TB 219 1 0 / 0 19.8

11 @Car 268 1 0 / 0 20.2
the detroit game was in london. Hes played one home game in 8 weeks. He dominates at home. Even this year, check the splits. Its insane.
all right you convinced me. ryan back in over sanchez. I am also an eagles fan so if sanchez were to suck and cost me my fantasy game and an eagles win i would be doubly mad. there is no disputing ryan is better at home and is due. sanchezs turnovers over the last 3 games are also undeniable.

7 @Bal 228 1 0 / 1 16.7

8 Det 228 2 1 / 0 21.7

9 BYE - - - -

10 @TB 219 1 0 / 0 19.8

11 @Car 268 1 0 / 0 20.2
all right you convinced me. ryan back in over sanchez. I am also an eagles fan so if sanchez were to suck and cost me my fantasy game and an eagles win i would be doubly mad. there is no disputing ryan is better at home and is due. sanchezs turnovers over the last 3 games are also undeniable.
From Evan Silva re: road/home splits:

Matt Ryan's box-score production has slowed to a crawl since his fast early-season start, but his dome-outdoor splits are notable as Atlanta travels back home following four straight road affairs. Across three games at the Georgia Dome this year, Ryan has a 7:1 TD-to-INT ratio, 117.7 passer rating, and 9.66 yards-per-attempt average. On the road, Ryan's TD-to-INT ratio is 10:7 with an 84.0 rating and 6.45 YPA. Cleveland has played solid pass defense in 2014, but won't have critical ILB Karlos Dansby (knee) and is expected to be without OLB Jabaal Sheard (foot) after generating next to no heat on Ryan Mallett in his first NFL start last week. The Browns already lost fellow up-front contributors DE Armonty Bryant (ACL), DE Phil Taylor (knee), and DE John Hughes (knee) to injured reserve. After Cleveland had trouble slowing down inferior Mallett, it's a good bet that they'll have similar difficulties against Ryan. I like Ryan as a mid-range to low-end QB1 in this game despite his disappointing stretch. ...

Users who are viewing this thread