What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were Unlucky, which 11 would you pick? (1 Viewer)

Aaron Rudnicki

Keep Walking™
Staff member
There are a ton of good applicants and I'm sure Unlucky is going to have a very hard time deciding. I figured it would be interesting to see who others would select. Perhaps a thread like this would end up making his job easier.Based on the applications thus far, I'd go with these guys:EastBayFunkRebel34Twilightbostonfredpurplehaze67General MalaiseLHUCKSJosephCouch PotatoGregRradballsThere were some very tough choices and it was hard to leave some guys out but with only 11 available spots, the competition is fierce. No offense intended to anyone I left off my recommendation list. It would be easy to fill 24 spots with the guys that applied.I'd also like to point out that purplehaze, GregR, LHUCKS, and bostonfred deserve to be included as they all finished in the top-5 of Survivor II last year.I know I'm staff now and will be competing against this team, but I think this would be a very strong group and I'm sure their commentary would be entertaining and informative. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing who is chosen.

Thanks Aaron. The check is in the mail. ;)Hold on... I just realized that since you're the enemy, you picked this 11 MAYBE because you really think we're the easiest to beat. I'm gonna have to think on that one...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with people that have won in a Survivor League consisting of Shark Pool constituants, like me. :thumbup:

Like it would make any difference. These hacks will be steamrolled like no tomorrow. I don't even think we will break a sweat or get our collective uniforms dirty over these bums. We're gonna score more than the 99 Rams did!There's a reason why these guys are just regular old Message Board guys . . . they don't have what it takes to be a Football Guy. We've forgotten more about fantasy football than they will likely ever know. If they're so smart, where's THEIR fantasy football site, huh?!?As Terry Bradsaw once said, they couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the "C" a nd the "A".

As Terry Bradsaw once said, they couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the "C" a nd the "A".
knowing Terry Bradshaw, he's more likely to have said "they couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the 'K' and the 'A'"BTW you misspelled "and" bucko.

Like it would make any difference. These hacks will be steamrolled like no tomorrow. I don't even think we will break a sweat or get our collective uniforms dirty over these bums. We're gonna score more than the 99 Rams did!There's a reason why these guys are just regular old Message Board guys . . . they don't have what it takes to be a Football Guy. We've forgotten more about fantasy football than they will likely ever know. If they're so smart, where's THEIR fantasy football site, huh?!?As Terry Bradsaw once said, they couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the "C" a nd the "A".
um, terry bradsaw didn't say that :excited:

Way to go, guys. Put smack-boy in his place. *LOL*(But nice job of talking the smack, David. I didn't know you had it in you :thumbup: )

Typical FBG schmuck. Tries to talk #### and ends up stepping in it. These guys provide us comic relief to say the least.

As Terry Bradsaw once said, they couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the "C" a nd the "A".
knowing Terry Bradshaw, he's more likely to have said "they couldn't spell cat if you spotted them the 'K' and the 'A'"BTW you misspelled "and" bucko.
Case in point . . . while we are diligently looking at game film and analyzing the past 40 years of technical data, you guys are busy proofreading our posts!Get on the ball you guys, you're wasting time on trivialities.And who is this "Unlucky" guy anyway. I think "Untalented" might be a better name for him. I've seen better coaching on the Arizona Cardinals staff.We've picked our team DAYS ago, what's the hold up here . . . you guys trying to come up with 11 other guys that have even the remotest clue about football???Come on already . . . we need to know what names to write down on your tombstones. Chop, chop!!!

We've picked our team DAYS ago, what's the hold up here . . .
Be happy you're getting the head start, goomba. It won't help enough, but at least it's giving you the illusion you have a chance. By the way, if I make this team I've already decided to have my own entourage of trash talkers to abuse the staff when I can't be here. You know, sort of like the blogger team concept you have. All abuse, all day. :excited:

Maybe UNLUCKY should choose the worst team of the MB, just to show, those 11 are much more worthy than the FBG staff. It would be a shame for the FBGs to loose, but UNLUCKY could say it was just a test, if his team looses.

David, if you know your team, use those name for the tombstone, UNLUCKY and his gang will blow you away. You can talk the talk, they gonna walk the walk!

Actually, it was Hollywood Henderson who said it about Bradshaw.
How many rings does Henderson have compared to Bradshaw? Also, who let drugs rule his life? Bradshaw played up that good ol' boy persona.

Unlucky has a big job ahead of him. He has some seriously good applications to go through. Even the "joking" ones are good. Obviously if they are applying here in May, they are pretty hardcore FFers.Here's my 11. These are just the ones that stood out to me for 1 reason or another. When I first starting making a list, I realized I already had over 20 people and I wasn't even on page 3! Had to cut some out. Like I said, Unlucky is going to have a real tough time.EastBayFunk (constantly helping others in Asst Coach)Twilight (hooked me from the 1st line)bostonfredspOOfy (way too much time on his hands)JoeTrabidfireweaselGeneral Malaise ("Lastly, I Eat ALL the Poop")JAA LHUCKSCouch PotatoGregRAny way he goes, I know the MBers are going to reign supreme. Best of luck!

Typical FBG schmuck. Tries to talk #### and ends up stepping in it. These guys provide us comic relief to say the least.
If this is the best smack you guys can come up with, this is going to be even easier than we ever imagined.I know you guys are a little slow, so I'm going to type slower this time so you won't miss anything when you read it (if you can even read). I mean, if you guys were bank guards, you wouldn't even know you were being robbed until you read it in tomorrow's paper!I've seen better organization in a pack of drunk rats scurrying out of a burning building.We are the best of the best of the best, ladies. We cut are teeth in Vietnam taking slugs for the good old U.S. of A. (For the Generation X-boxers out there, Vietnam was a war in the jungles of Southeast Asia). We are HARDCORE football fans, you pansies. We were the guys with our shirts off in Foxboro when it was a balmy 40 degrees below.We've tried to have a mock draft, but we had trouble coming up with people with your limited cunning and intellect. We finally pulled my 7-year old daughter and her little firends away from Sponge Bob long enough to fill the Message Board slots.We've already drawn straws to see which one of us staff guys has to throw the last week of the regular season to allow one Message Boarder into the final 8--or else you crybabies would have whined that we cheated.The Chargers have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl than you guys have have at winning this thing.

If this is the best smack you guys can come up with, this is going to be even easier than we ever imagined.I know you guys are a little slow, so I'm going to type slower this time so you won't miss anything when you read it (if you can even read). I mean, if you guys were bank guards, you wouldn't even know you were being robbed until you read it in tomorrow's paper!I've seen better organization in a pack of drunk rats scurrying out of a burning building.We are the best of the best of the best, ladies. We cut are teeth in Vietnam taking slugs for the good old U.S. of A. (For the Generation X-boxers out there, Vietnam was a war in the jungles of Southeast Asia). We are HARDCORE football fans, you pansies. We were the guys with our shirts off in Foxboro when it was a balmy 40 degrees below.We've tried to have a mock draft, but we had trouble coming up with people with your limited cunning and intellect. We finally pulled my 7-year old daughter and her little firends away from Sponge Bob long enough to fill the Message Board slots.We've already drawn straws to see which one of us staff guys has to throw the last week of the regular season to allow one Message Boarder into the final 8--or else you crybabies would have whined that we cheated.The Chargers have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl than you guys have have at winning this thing.
your momma

There are a ton of good applicants and I'm sure Unlucky is going to have a very hard time deciding. I figured it would be interesting to see who others would select. Perhaps a thread like this would end up making his job easier.

Based on the applications thus far, I'd go with these guys:

EastBayFunk

Rebel34

Twilight

bostonfred

purplehaze67

General Malaise

LHUCKS

Joseph

Couch Potato

GregR

radballs

There were some very tough choices and it was hard to leave some guys out but with only 11 available spots, the competition is fierce. No offense intended to anyone I left off my recommendation list. It would be easy to fill 24 spots with the guys that applied.

I'd also like to point out that purplehaze, GregR, LHUCKS, and bostonfred deserve to be included as they all finished in the top-5 of Survivor II last year.

I know I'm staff now and will be competing against this team, but I think this would be a very strong group and I'm sure their commentary would be entertaining and informative. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing who is chosen.
Why not me? What did you use to differentiate? Some of these names I have never heard before and I like to think I have been here for a while, on a daily basis, and know most of the folks. I have no problem not being taken, I guess I am biased with respect to who I think knows something. And yes, it will be a fla\/\/ed contest if I am not in it.JAA

Why not me? What did you use to differentiate? Some of these names I have never heard before and I like to think I have been here for a while, on a daily basis, and know most of the folks. I have no problem not being taken, I guess I am biased with respect to who I think knows something. And yes, it will be a fla\/\/ed contest if I am not in it.

JAA
b/c your wife would do a better job ;)

seriously though, no offense. I had to leave off quite a few people I know would do a great job. I went by my opinions of the applicants as well as the strength of their applications. I just said these are the guys I would pick if I were unlucky...I'm sure others would come up with 11 different people.

Why not me? What did you use to differentiate? Some of these names I have never heard before and I like to think I have been here for a while, on a daily basis, and know most of the folks. I have no problem not being taken, I guess I am biased with respect to who I think knows something. And yes, it will be a fla\/\/ed contest if I am not in it.

JAA
b/c your wife would do a better job ;)

seriously though, no offense. I had to leave off quite a few people I know would do a great job. I went by my opinions of the applicants as well as the strength of their applications. I just said these are the guys I would pick if I were unlucky...I'm sure others would come up with 11 different people.
Id be included to agree with you if I had more info. Why dont you compare someone you took with someone that just got left off, how did you decide. Dont use me if you like. I would enjoy reading what you have to say. I may not agree with it, but that doesnt mean it isnt good info.JAA

Hey, Sandbagger just applied after this thread was started. It's well worth a read.His wrapup: "I am your hired gun from the FFA and I am here for the cash. And when I win I'll crawl back into whatever spider hole I came from in the FFA and you can all throw a parade for yourselves in the Shark Pool celebrating how the message board beat the staff."Gotta love the 'bagger.

Like it even matters :rotflmao: I just hope the eleven that do make the cut don't end up with years of therapy as a result. I see FFA (Fantasy Football Anonymous) gaining many new members after draft day.

Oh my! Looks like someone needs a little :MrPack: .

Hey, Sandbagger just applied after this thread was started. It's well worth a read.His wrapup: "I am your hired gun from the FFA and I am here for the cash. And when I win I'll crawl back into whatever spider hole I came from in the FFA and you can all throw a parade for yourselves in the Shark Pool celebrating how the message board beat the staff."Gotta love the 'bagger.
The only way you guys stand a chance is if Joe and David suddenly have a layoff of the deadwood (I wouldn't be TOO concerned, Jason) and those guys go back to being Message Board Members.

your momma
The pads we FootballGuys use are a little different than the ones you and your momma use.
:rotflmao: I'm not even going to touch that one... well maybe a bit. I guess yours have wings then. :excited:
Then you can be the wind beneath my wings.
Actually, I'd much rather just snip your wings in the competition.However, if I'm not picked, sure you can ask me for some advise. ;)

I'll try to justify my selections:

LHUCKS

bostonfred

purplehaze67

GregR

these guys all finished in the top-4 of the Survivor II FBG Invitational last year. They deserve entry for that reason alone, but they are also some of the best contributors in the Shark Pool. I left off other strong candidates from Survivor II (Gatorman, sandbagger, Cobalt Cruisin', bueno, BassNBrew) just to mix it up a bit, but anyone from that league would be a worthy selection for Unlucky.

EastBayFunk

I enjoy EBF's posts and think he knows a lot. He's one of the most active posters in the shark pool and also willing to think outside the box.

Rebel34

I thought his application was one of the strongest in the bunch. Fantasy football is his job and he watches a ton of film. I don't think you can go wrong with a guy like that.

Twilight

Twilight is the man when it comes to survivor leagues. I think he would have been a very good choice as the MB captain due to his experience running the MB survivor leagues. He knows all about what it takes to win in survivor leagues and his performance last year in multiple leagues was impressive.

General Malaise

One of the most entertaining posters on the boards. I didn't want to leave the FFA guys out and I think GM would be a very strong selection from that crowd.

Joseph

He doesn't post a ton of stuff but I find his insights to always be solid and informative. His performance in the UFFP shouldn't be ignored. I tend to get him confused with joffer though because their names are similar and they both use the Mr. Burns avatar.

Couch Potato

He deserves strong consideration for 2 things: (a) winning the Team Survivor competition last year, beating out a ton of people, and (b) being one of the most entertaining posters in the shark pool.

radballs

Ollie might not be well known around these parts but he's a hardcore FF fantatic and I've competed against him in several leagues. He's passionate about the game and knows his stuff.

It was hard to leave some of these guys off:

Cobalt Cruisin'

sandbagger

BassNBrew

bueno

Gatorman

switz

JAA

Joffer

FM696969

Tiger Fan

Mr. Pickles

JoeT

rabidfireweasel

Mark Speener

Sinrman

As I said, it would be very easy to come up with 24 MB team members. It is a deep group and I do not envy Unlucky for having to narrow it down. I do think he should speed things up a bit though and perhaps start choosing people before Wednesday's deadline. If I were him, I'd select Twilight and perhaps a couple of the Survivor II guys right away and get their input on who the other choices should be.

The only way you guys stand a chance is if Joe and David suddenly have a layoff of the deadwood (I wouldn't be TOO concerned, Jason) and those guys go back to being Message Board Members.
Look at Mr. Yudkin's subtle attack on his 'deadwood' co-workers. The staff is beginning to eat their own already. Anything to move up the company food chain. It's all just starting. Just wait.Dodds and Bryant need to beware. I've read histories of Orestes of the Roman Empire, Napoleon of France, and Peron of Argentina. I suspect Anarchy (interesting handle, yes???) is planning a coup d' etat of Footballguys.com right now. Today the rookie, tomorrow the ruler!

I suspect Anarchy (interesting handle, yes???) is planning a coup d' etat of Footballguys.com right now. Today the rookie, tomorrow the ruler!
He'll have to fight his way through the Fedayeen Shick! first. There have been coup attempts in the past. Let's give Maxwell a break and not speak of this again.

Couch Potato

He deserves strong consideration for 2 things: (a) winning the Team Survivor competition last year, beating out a ton of people, and (b) being one of the most entertaining posters in the shark pool.
Every court needs its :jester: You guys have fun with the rest of your day. I'm gonna go do something with my so-called life besides sit here posting. Maybe read up on flat warts or something.

Seeya!

LHUCKS
Nothing against LHUCKS, butMBSL 2 in 2002

LHUCKS = booted 10th

FM69/AirF = Winners

MBSL 2 in 2003

LHUCKS = booted 13th

FM69 = Winner

:boxing:
big props for winning back to back. how did your MBSL 1 team do?also, how much of your success was due to the Boy of the Year?

I thought this was also interesting:

end of year scoring among all 3 MBSL's last year:

1. Twilight

2. MMMTastyPudding

3. LHUCKS

4. Titans2003

5. FM69

6. JaxFan

7. Dallas428

8. BassNBrew

9. Aaronr28

10. Atomic Punk

so, even though you won the league, LHUCKS did put together a top-3 team among 48 squads. He also finished #3 in SII.

Anyway, I'm not trying to take anything away from your accomplishment...you definitely have a track record of success in survivor leagues that Unlucky would be wise to consider.

LHUCKS

LHUCKS = booted 10th

FM69/AirF = Winners

MBSL 2 in 2003

LHUCKS = booted 13th

FM69 = Winner

To summarize:2002 MBSL II: 6th place of 16

2003 MBSL II: 4th place of 16, #3 in scoring of 48 teams

2003 Survivor II: 3rd Place of 12(12 very skilled individuals)

I think that speaks for itself. Good luck to you FM, I think you have a strong case as well.

LHUCKS

LHUCKS = booted 10th

FM69/AirF = Winners

MBSL 2 in 2003

LHUCKS = booted 13th

FM69 = Winner

big props for winning back to back. how did your MBSL 1 team do?also, how much of your success was due to the Boy of the Year?

I thought this was also interesting:

end of year scoring among all 3 MBSL's last year:

1. Twilight

2. MMMTastyPudding

3. LHUCKS

4. Titans2003

5. FM69

6. JaxFan

7. Dallas428

8. BassNBrew

9. Aaronr28

10. Atomic Punk

so, even though you won the league, LHUCKS did put together a top-3 team among 48 squads. He also finished #3 in SII.

Anyway, I'm not trying to take anything away from your accomplishment...you definitely have a track record of success in survivor leagues that Unlucky would be wise to consider.
Just thought it was interesting that I was not mentioned in your list of members. I may not post that much around here, but this is not a popularity contest. That is why Unlucky asked for applications. I think I am as qualified if not more qualified than every person you mentioned.FM69

LHUCKS

LHUCKS = booted 10th

FM69/AirF = Winners

MBSL 2 in 2003

LHUCKS = booted 13th

FM69 = Winner

To summarize:2002 MBSL II: 6th place of 16

2003 MBSL II: 4th place of 16, #3 in scoring of 48 teams

2003 Survivor II: 3rd Place of 12(12 very skilled individuals)

I think that speaks for itself. Good luck to you FM, I think you have a strong case as well.
I think you are very qualified, LHUCKS. I was just pointing out to Aaron that it was interesting that you were mentioned and I wasn't even though I placed better than you two years in a row. I know you are a good poster around here and good luck to you too.FM69

Well, if you're not on this list:

Aaron Rudnicki Posted: May 22 2004, 10:37 AM

Based on the applications thus far, I'd go with these guys:

EastBayFunk

Rebel34

Twilight

bostonfred

purplehaze67

General Malaise

LHUCKS

Joseph

Couch Potato

GregR

radballs
or this list:
Aaron Rudnicki Posted: May 22 2004, 12:45 PM

It was hard to leave some of these guys off:

Cobalt Cruisin'

sandbagger

BassNBrew

bueno

Gatorman

switz

JAA

Joffer

FM696969

Tiger Fan

Mr. Pickles

JoeT

rabidfireweasel

Mark Speener

Sinrman
and you end up being selected, and surviving longer than Aaron, bragging rights are in order.Aaron, obviously you know you've made yourself a target by many after this thread. But I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way.

GLTA

Aaron, obviously you know you've made yourself a target by many after this thread. But I'm sure you wouldn't have it any other way.GLTA
I started this thread hoping that others would chime in and add their top-11 lists.I said those were the 11 that I would choose...but the ones not selected were often just as qualified. Hopefully, people would have thicker skin than to take something like this personally.If I'm a target, so be it. I'll survive. :football: and the people who aren't selected will probably be happy in the end when they see how badly their counterparts got steamrolled by the Dream Team.seriously...if my list has any sway on Unlucky whatsoever, people left off the list should consider it a blessing. You don't want the embarassment that the chosen ones have coming to them.WTYM

I actually did this the other day, and it was not easy.Here goes:UnluckyGatormanPurplehazeGregRLhucksCobaltJosephSpeenerFootball69696969....Joe TSKATwilightAlternates:Psycology KevBuenoCouch PotatoIt was not an easy list to compile. I think that I have been slighted by being left off your list aaron, but that's probably fear more than anything else. Injuries and the worst possible draft spot (7) doomed me last year. Anyhow, one of the things I took into account on this were a couple of things that unlucky may not. Specifically draft position.I would put Cobalt and Greg R in the early drafting slots and Purplehaze and myself in the late spots. Unlucky would draft in the middle with Lhucks. I don't know everyone well enough for strengths and weakneses, however I draft better from a late position (9-12) while Cobalt seems to do best at 4 or earlier.The game within a game.

You know, in all honesty, it is impressive to see this much talent coming from our Shark Pool. I would put you guys up against any other board out there and I believe you would come out on top.This competition is going to kick serious ###. I love leagues in which everyone knows their stuff. :boxing: Can't wait til the draft begins.

It was not an easy list to compile. I think that I have been slighted by being left off your list aaron, but that's probably fear more than anything else. Injuries and the worst possible draft spot (7) doomed me last year. Anyhow, one of the things I took into account on this were a couple of things that unlucky may not. Specifically draft position.
Gator, I don't have any reason to fear you. Your teams in SII and No Mercy last year did not perform all that well.That being said, I couldn't include 9 SII guys in my list so I just went with the ones that did the best. Last year, we were told that the top-5 finishers would get an automatic re-entry into this year's version. Thus, I felt that the guys I selected deserved to be in it.Using your draft position as an excuse seems a bit lame to me. I was picking 2nd and Ricky Williams underperformed considerably while my 2nd round pick William Green was a complete disaster. Meanwhile, you ended up with the steal of the draft in Priest Holmes at #7 overall, who often scored more than 2 RBs combined. I don't really see how drafting 7th hurt you at all. I agree you had some bad luck with injuries to Moulds and James Stewart, but that kind of stuff happens to everybody.You did win in 2002 so that's a strength, but you barely wrote anything in your application, which makes it seem like you either (a) feel entitled to be included or (b) don't want it as bad as some of the others. That was just my take anyway.

Like I said in my application...I'd be happy to be the water boy, although someone will have to restrain me from spitting water at the STAFF.

You did win in 2002 so that's a strength, but you barely wrote anything in your application, which makes it seem like you either (a) feel entitled to be included or (b) don't want it as bad as some of the others. That was just my take anyway.
What was there to write? We can all go on and on about whatever random league we were in that did well Blah blah blah. As for this board, I won the inagural survivor championship. I might also add that last year I helped David get the S2 thing organized, but again there are a lot of people here that organize things for a living. As for who wants it bad, yes I want to compete, but in the end it isn't for what I consider real money nor is it something where I feel I am head and shoulders above the rest. I don't consider anyone here staff or message boarders to be more of an expert than anyone else. Dodds loses in plenty of leagues he's in (I'm not even sure joe plays anymore, btw). What difference does that make.I am who I am around here. That is a benefit or a detriment I guess. However, If I was captain, I don't think cobalt crusin or purplehaze would need to do anything more than say I'm interested for me to decide whether or not they should be in. As for the guys I chose on the squad in the hypothetical, it has more to do what OTHERS said about them than what they said about themself.Again, Pick me pick me is not my style, nor is it for most of those with quiet confidence. It is also why I tend to gravitate more towards those staf members who got the job on merit vs. those with the "I want to be important so I'll write for FBG." That's why I'll look at Maurile first for a lot of insight, and probably why I'll look to your stuff if I ever do an IDP league.In the end, it is an opinion. I disagree with yours, but what else is new.

Users who are viewing this thread