What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you're a real NFL GM, who would you rather have: Trevor Lawrence on a rookie deal or Deshaun Watson on his current deal? (1 Viewer)

If you're a real NFL GM, who would you rather have: Trevor Lawrence on a rookie deal or Deshaun Wats

• Lawrence on Rookie Deal

Votes: 73 43.7%
  • Watson on his Current Deal

Votes: 94 56.3%

• Total voters
The only difference is that Herbert has actually done it at the NFL level so the risk is diminished quite a bit so I wouldn't give up Herbert for Watson either.  Lawrence on the other hand has risk.  Scouts are not perfect.  I see the absolute best outcome for Lawrence is to have a year like Herbert.  That is if all goes right for him.  It was a historic rookie QB performance.  The chances of that happening are small which is why Watson would be my choice.  
Yeah we’ll never see eye to eye on this.  Scouts can be wrong but they pretty much all agree Lawrence is the best QB prospect to come around in quite some time.

I'll take Watson.   His cap hit is low next year and then when it blows up, it conveniently coincides with the new tv contract so the cap should jump considerably making the watson contract look a lot better.

Buckna said:
I thought our more prominent Boston fans on the board had debunked the discount stuff? Brady had often agreed to restructure was my understanding lowering his cap #, but it’s not like he was leaving tens of millions on the table like the difference between a rookie QB contract and a veteran.

I easily concede I could be wrong on this but I remember a lot of back and forth in threads about whether Brady was really making some big $$$ sacrifice for the team when these media articles came out.

Dr. Octopus said:
I don't remember his ever being the highest paid QB in the league. I don't believe anyone is saying he played way below market or anything but it's been pretty widely reported he's given a hometown discount. Maybe that's misrepresented though.
Henry Ford of FFA politics fame described exactly how much Brady left on the table. It wasn't much. In fact, Ford argued that he might have made more by doing what he did. I forget how the math worked, but that was the argument. I remember being fully convinced by it, so count me among the people that say that you can't just say "Brady took a discount." I don't think Brady really did. He just restructured in a way that they had more cap room, possibly by front or back-loading his guarantees (I'm not really that much of a cap guy in terms of knowing off of the top of my head which which is which).

I am a Bears fan so if we took Lawrence he would turn into Mitch Trubisky 2 or Ryan Leaf. I would rather have a QB that does not need to be coached as much :)

How much more would Watson get if he was an UFA today? Another 5-10% maybe?

How much more would Lawrence get if he was an UFA today? Probably triple (200% increase).  

This feels like an easy call to me. Take the value.

Users who are viewing this thread