What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (3 Viewers)

He won't have any say in the pick. He's probably 10 levels removed.

Hopefully he's a good coach though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hopefully he's a coach though.
When you have the #1 pick you have a good idea which way you're going by the time you hire a coach.

The pick is Mariota, mark it down.

When you have the #1 pick you have a good idea which way you're going by the time you hire a coach.

yea ok
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have hired a new quarterbacks coach. Mike Bajakian comes from Tennessee and he used to work with Lovie Smith in Chicago.

Now that the team has some coaching concerns taking care of, they’ll look to prepare for the draft. As pointed out by Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports, the hiring of Bajakian might lead them to a specific quarterback in the draft.

Since Bajakian is known for running a spread offense, one that keeps the quarterback in the shotgun formation, and spreads the defense horizontally, he may want to continue that style in his new job. Marcus Mariota comes from a team that utilizes this offensive style, including practicing a no-huddle approach.

In addition to Bajakian’s offensive style, new Bucs OC Dirk Koetter has ties to Oregon coach Mark Helfrich.

Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/does-new-bucs-hire-point-towards-drafting-mariota/#yjbWjJAfvzYqGjBv.99

cstu said:
Premier said:
cstu said:

yea ok
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have hired a new quarterbacks coach. Mike Bajakian comes from Tennessee and he used to work with Lovie Smith in Chicago.

Now that the team has some coaching concerns taking care of, they’ll look to prepare for the draft. As pointed out by Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports, the hiring of Bajakian might lead them to a specific quarterback in the draft.

Since Bajakian is known for running a spread offense, one that keeps the quarterback in the shotgun formation, and spreads the defense horizontally, he may want to continue that style in his new job. Marcus Mariota comes from a team that utilizes this offensive style, including practicing a no-huddle approach.

In addition to Bajakian’s offensive style, new Bucs OC Dirk Koetter has ties to Oregon coach Mark Helfrich.

Read more at http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/does-new-bucs-hire-point-towards-drafting-mariota/#yjbWjJAfvzYqGjBv.99
where does that say they are taking him?

Honestly watching Wilson and Seattle makes me think if the Bucs took MM they could be successful. You have to be smart about it though and build a great OL and running game. They aren't asking Wilson to throw 40 times a game and I doubt he could do it if they did. Same with MM.

I would just prefer the potential drop back stud. But I would be homicidal if they take either. But JW is clearly better.

There are reasonable explanations for these coaching hires that connect them to either QB.

There is no way anyone will get me to believe that the Bucs are sold on MM 4 months before the draft after his performance in the CFP.

There are reasonable explanations for these coaching hires that connect them to either QB.

There is no way anyone will get me to believe that the Bucs are sold on MM 4 months before the draft after his performance in the CFP.
No reasonable person believes that. Cstu has some anti-Jameis hard-on.

thats kindof what I am thinking and also MM not throwing at combine probably isnt going to help his case esp if there are questions about accuracy.

If you want to be the #1 pick you have to have the mentality that you are a bad ### and will throw any time any place for whoever. Cam Newton stepped up and threw and Luck was going to until the Colts said no.

thats kindof what I am thinking and also MM not throwing at combine probably isnt going to help his case esp if there are questions about accuracy.

If you want to be the #1 pick you have to have the mentality that you are a bad ### and will throw any time any place for whoever. Cam Newton stepped up and threw and Luck was going to until the Colts said no.
I don't think any of the recent #1's besides Cam have thrown at the combine - Bradford, Stafford, Russell, Alex Smith. Griffin at #2 and Matt Ryan at #3 didn't either. Cam was an anomaly rather than that rule.

No reasonable person believes that. Cstu has some anti-Jameis hard-on.
Nope, I think he could be good but is too much of a risk. I'm not against him, just like Mariota much more.

Honestly watching Wilson and Seattle makes me think if the Bucs took MM they could be successful. You have to be smart about it though and build a great OL and running game. They aren't asking Wilson to throw 40 times a game and I doubt he could do it if they did. Same with MM.

I would just prefer the potential drop back stud. But I would be homicidal if they take either. But JW is clearly better.
You're really comfortable with Glennon as the future?

I get you Winston supporters - he's definitely the potential drop back stud but Mariota has the all around game you can build around and the character issue is a big one when it comes to your QB.

I get you Winston supporters - he's definitely the potential drop back stud but Mariota has the all around game you can build around and the character issue is a big one when it comes to your QB.
I think he left off an "N."

yea ok

I have no idea who TB is going to take but how does the quarterback coach's "offensive style" come into play?

I think he left off an "N."
:goodposting: most definitely not ok with Glennon

I have no idea who TB is going to take but how does the quarterback coach's "offensive style" come into play?
We're all just speculating. Trying to connect the dots. Koetter has a background with Helfrich. Bajakian has a background with several running QB's and spread offenses. Tony Dungy has a connection to Oregon, Mariota, and Lovie Smith.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2342580-qb-marcus-mariota-is-obvious-no-1-choice-for-bucs-after-koetter-bajakian-hires

This article, bleacher report not withstanding, lays it all out pretty well.

Interesting article on Oregon's passing offense. The quoted blurb is from the conclusion. It was written before Tampa signed Koetter.

https://joekearns70.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/pick-your-poison-the-rise-of-the-prolific-oregon-passing-offense/

None of Mariota’s predecessors in the Kelly era had his accuracy, decision-making, or arm. It is possible that Helfrich, who coached under “four verticals system” guru Dirk Koetter at Boise State, is determined that Oregon make the vertical passing game an offensive staple. Kelly generally limited the scope of Oregon’s vertical passing game, but that might have because of his quarterbacks’ limitations, rather than his offensive philosophy (especially considering the high volume of deep passes the Eagles have completed in his tenure with them). When Kelly recruited Mariota, he could have seen the Hawaiian native as the final missing piece to take his offense to its greatest heights.
They're taking Mariota and I applaud them for getting the perfect coordinator for him.

Josh McCown cut.

On to the next loser.
This is how you run an organization into the ground. You draft a QB, he puts up better numbers as a rookie than any rookie QB in the last couple decades (correct me if I'm wrong). You bench him for a journeyman QB who was targeted by a HC who has never accomplished anything. He proceeds to do worse while your rookie QB sits during a year he should be being evaluated for his long term potential. Then you cut said journeyman QB and you still don't know what you have in your 2013 rookie. You prepare to draft another QB that isn't proven at all.

These are your stupid Bucs.

Josh McCown cut.

On to the next loser.
I don't understand why cut McCown now? Why not have him be the "other" QB? 5 Mil isn't totally out of hand for a backup.

Trade Glennon for a 4th - 5th rounder on draft day.

Makes no sense to cut a veteran QB on a reasonable contract when you need to mentor the young draftee (Winston or Mariota) anyway. And Glennon was never trusted by Lovie even down the stretch of a dismal season. Doesn't matter if you put the rookie out there starting day one, you still need a capable vet backup to show him the ropes and work with him in practice and on the sideline. Lovie handpicked McCown as "his guy". I got to think this move is precipitated by a budget tightening overall in the next few years. Bucs spent a lot of money last year and it blew up in their face.

Rotoworld:

After the release of Josh McCown, ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted if there were questions about the Bucs taking a QB with the No. 1 pick, "there are none now."
This was everyone's conclusion from the end of the season, but Schefter puts a cap on it. Now the debate will be between Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota, with ESPN's Pat Yasinskas already reporting Lovie Smith prefers Winston. Buckle up.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Feb 12 - 3:53 PM

I just dropped by to say that it's been weeks since Premier changed this thread title, but it still makes me laugh every time I visit Page 1 of the Shark Pool. It's just so ... Bucs.

Bravo, Premier.

Josh McCown cut.

On to the next loser.
I don't understand why cut McCown now? Why not have him be the "other" QB? 5 Mil isn't totally out of hand for a backup.

It is if you already have a backup.
If you didn't trust Glennon to start last year, why ask him to start if Winston/Mariota isn't ready?

Besides you might actually get something for Glennon.

Cutting McCown reeks of Glazers trying to recoup the ManU offseason spending.

Continuing to start McCown got the Bucs the #1 pick. Spending $5M in cap space for a lame duck is pointless.
Two posts up indicates that cap space really isn't a problem. Who starts if your future franchise QB stinks up the joint in pre-season?

There's a point to using it if you think your #1 overall pick isn't ready and you don't want his confidence getting destroyed early.

Grahamburn said:
Continuing to start McCown got the Bucs the #1 pick. Spending $5M in cap space for a lame duck is pointless.
It was definitely wise to throw McCown out to the wolves instead of Glennon. Glennon wasn't going to do any better, so you might as well keep him healthy.

JaxBill said:
Josh McCown cut.

On to the next loser.

It is if you already have a backup.
If you didn't trust Glennon to start last year, why ask him to start if Winston/Mariota isn't ready?

Besides you might actually get something for Glennon.

Cutting McCown reeks of Glazers trying to recoup the ManU offseason spending.
Whaaaaat? 5M is nothing to a football team.

They have spent a ton in free agency for like 3 straight years and are about to again. I think we can drop the glazers are cheap narrative now.

Cutting McCown isn't a "Glazers are cheap" move. There's no point in taking that cap hit when they need that money to sign other players. If they can't trade Glennon he's more than serviceable as a backup.

If they cut EDS, Collins, and possibly Mankins they're retooling that offensive line again. Pamphile came on a bit late, but that's a lot of players to replace in front of a rookie QB. Trying Dotson on the left side could be a disaster too.

If they do cut all those guys I hope they take a run at Suh, but I expect their "free agent strategy" this season to be targeted at more mid-tier guys like McDonald from last year.

There is 18 or 19 games worth of film on Glennon. More than enough to know he sucks too.
And you reasoning is? I'd really love to hear it.

Just to clue you in, his numbers (other than passing yardage) compare favorably to Andrew Luck thru 19 games. look it up.

lod01 said:
There is 18 or 19 games worth of film on Glennon. More than enough to know he sucks too.
And you reasoning is? I'd really love to hear it.

Just to clue you in, his numbers (other than passing yardage) compare favorably to Andrew Luck thru 19 games. look it up.
This is true, and I've made that point in the past. The problem is the Bucs didn't commit to him, and when he did get an opportunity in 2014 he botched it. Luck obviously improved exponentially after his rookie season. Would Glennon have done that if he received the same support system as Luck? We'll never know, but I doubt it.

Honestly not trying to be a #### but if you have watched Glennon play and think he's comparable to Luck, you don't know #### about football.

I get that his rookie TD/int ratio was good. That's because his YPA was almost historically bad. He never pushed the ball down the field (because he can't), he helmed the worst offense in the nfl in 2013 and showed no ability to make nfl caliber throws. His deep passes are awful and he simply cannot throw a 20-yard out. Dumping the ball off to your RB or TE in the flat 25 times a game isn't going to get anybody anywhere.

It's crazy to me that anybody who has watched this guy play thinks they would want to see more. His game against Cleveland this year was the worst quarterbacked game I've ever seen. I actually went back to watch the All-22 to confirm if it was as bad as I thought. It was even worse.

Honestly not trying to be a #### but if you have watched Glennon play and think he's comparable to Luck, you don't know #### about football.

I get that his rookie TD/int ratio was good. That's because his YPA was almost historically bad. He never pushed the ball down the field (because he can't), he helmed the worst offense in the nfl in 2013 and showed no ability to make nfl caliber throws. His deep passes are awful and he simply cannot throw a 20-yard out. Dumping the ball off to your RB or TE in the flat 25 times a game isn't going to get anybody anywhere.

It's crazy to me that anybody who has watched this guy play thinks they would want to see more. His game against Cleveland this year was the worst quarterbacked game I've ever seen. I actually went back to watch the All-22 to confirm if it was as bad as I thought. It was even worse.
I thought he earned the opportunity to start in 2014. That opportunity is gone now. He'll either be a decent backup option or be traded if they get an offer.

I thought he earned the opportunity to start in 2014. That opportunity is gone now. He'll either be a decent backup option or be traded if they get an offer.
I don't totally disagree but the 2013 tape on him was pretty bad. It wasn't the rookie mistakes, it was the clear showing that he can't make the throws needed. I can see why they made the change if they thought they could win. I don't understand why they held on to Josh starting the last 4-5 games.

Now McCown....that obviously didn't work out. That doesn't mean Glennon is necessarily the answer though.

Users who are viewing this thread