What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (2 Viewers)

Exactly what Abraham said. The $60 network comes with a mandatory 2-year contract which ups the actual cost considerably. On the iPad you can pay a $15 or $30 monthly rate, on a per month basis as you use it. This flexibility comes with a higher front-end cost.
I guess this makes sense. At the $729 price point they are not only in competition with netbooks, but now lower end laptops. Though I am not sure the lower end laptops will be as small and portable as the iPad. Interesting pricing decision on their part. Wondering what sales would be like if they were even $50 less per.
Right, but frankly, IMO the functionality of the iPad trumps a netbook/laptop in some cases. For example, I was traveling the last two days and had my 16" laptop with me. Usually, between my Blackberry and my laptop, I can do whatever I need to do. It just so happened that in the car yesterday I had some work to do (faxes, reviewing spreadsheets) that couldn't be done easily on my BB, so I had my laptop out while we were driving around. It got the job done, but I was thinking to myself that the size and quick start of an iPad would have made it a lot easier then unloading the laptop, booting it up, searching for broadband signal, etc. And on the plane home, watching a movie on my laptop was fine but it took up the whole tray table and was a pain to load/unload. THese are little things, admittedly, but as a guy that has never fallen for the iPhone or iPod craze, I definitely saw the value of a mid-size portable like the iPad.

Exactly what Abraham said. The $60 network comes with a mandatory 2-year contract which ups the actual cost considerably. On the iPad you can pay a $15 or $30 monthly rate, on a per month basis as you use it. This flexibility comes with a higher front-end cost.
I guess this makes sense. At the $729 price point they are not only in competition with netbooks, but now lower end laptops. Though I am not sure the lower end laptops will be as small and portable as the iPad. Interesting pricing decision on their part. Wondering what sales would be like if they were even $50 less per.
Right, but frankly, IMO the functionality of the iPad trumps a netbook/laptop in some cases. For example, I was traveling the last two days and had my 16" laptop with me. Usually, between my Blackberry and my laptop, I can do whatever I need to do. It just so happened that in the car yesterday I had some work to do (faxes, reviewing spreadsheets) that couldn't be done easily on my BB, so I had my laptop out while we were driving around. It got the job done, but I was thinking to myself that the size and quick start of an iPad would have made it a lot easier then unloading the laptop, booting it up, searching for broadband signal, etc. And on the plane home, watching a movie on my laptop was fine but it took up the whole tray table and was a pain to load/unload. THese are little things, admittedly, but as a guy that has never fallen for the iPhone or iPod craze, I definitely saw the value of a mid-size portable like the iPad.
Agreed...thus my comment that "I am not sure the lower end laptops will be as small and portable". I imagine your opinion is shared by most.

Struggling to see what justifies the $300 bump just for 3G
I think it's a $129 bump. And there's extra hardware in the device (a 3G radio).
My mistake...he went up in hard drive also. So that explains part of it. As you say, the 3G radio must be their other justification, but it's a $20 radio. Today, AT&T will charge you $60ish for a laptop connect card. Not sure where the $129 comes from.
:lmao: So he went from the 16gb wifi to the 64 wifi+3g ($330 difference) and you're trying to compare the price? Add this to the long list of tech mistakes. Honestly, it sounds like you knew absolutely nothing about the iPad and just started guessing at things when posting in here. For a guy who hates MSNBC/Fox News for misrepresenting facts, I figured you'd do better.
You are really bad at this...I suggest moving on. Everyone else has.
Has has a fair point though in that half of the bicker tangents we've gone off on in this thread were the result of someone's (several times your) misinformation.

Oat, you mentioned earlier that you update your NYTimes before you head out on the metro. Are you using the NYTimes iPhone app? The NYTimes iPad app (seems far more limited). I've been using just nytimes.com when I want to read stuff. The iPad app didn't seem so great when I tried it out awhile ago.

And as far as your VZ Fios app, this is iPhone app too, right?

I hate using the apps that aren't formatted for iPad yet. I use the iPhone Mint app and looks a little ridiculous on the iPad screen.

big :lmao: for the Remote Jr. app.

let's me remote control my home computer from my iPhone or iPad and you don't have to deal with all the static-vs.-dynamic IP address stuff that apps like Mocha VNC force you to do.

Just download the Remote Jr. app to your iPad.

Download the RemoteHelper app to your desktop machine that has to be running for you to log into it.

(This app is what handles all the dynamic IP stuff, so you just set it up once, put in the info it gives you into the iPad app, and you're good to go.)

easy as pie for a non-technical person like myself.

Oat, you mentioned earlier that you update your NYTimes before you head out on the metro. Are you using the NYTimes iPhone app? The NYTimes iPad app (seems far more limited). I've been using just nytimes.com when I want to read stuff. The iPad app didn't seem so great when I tried it out awhile ago.And as far as your VZ Fios app, this is iPhone app too, right?I hate using the apps that aren't formatted for iPad yet. I use the iPhone Mint app and looks a little ridiculous on the iPad screen.
I'm using the iPad app. I love it. Updated it before each subway trip (to work/from work). Generally some fresh stories each time. Only gripes are that I wish I could make it update automatically on some time interval, and it has crashed a few times.The FIOS app is the iPhone version yes.

big :thumbup: for the Remote Jr. app.let's me remote control my home computer from my iPhone or iPad and you don't have to deal with all the static-vs.-dynamic IP address stuff that apps like Mocha VNC force you to do.Just download the Remote Jr. app to your iPad.Download the RemoteHelper app to your desktop machine that has to be running for you to log into it.(This app is what handles all the dynamic IP stuff, so you just set it up once, put in the info it gives you into the iPad app, and you're good to go.)easy as pie for a non-technical person like myself.
Did this with iTeleport last night. It's pretty slow over a 3G connection, but works. Pretty cool.

big :thumbup: for the Remote Jr. app.let's me remote control my home computer from my iPhone or iPad and you don't have to deal with all the static-vs.-dynamic IP address stuff that apps like Mocha VNC force you to do.Just download the Remote Jr. app to your iPad.Download the RemoteHelper app to your desktop machine that has to be running for you to log into it.(This app is what handles all the dynamic IP stuff, so you just set it up once, put in the info it gives you into the iPad app, and you're good to go.)easy as pie for a non-technical person like myself.
Did this with iTeleport last night. It's pretty slow over a 3G connection, but works. Pretty cool.
Are any of these types of apps free?

Anyone with the 3g version care to give an opinion? Are you able to use it in the car traveling?

Is the cheaper data plan adequate for general use?

Anyone with the 3g version care to give an opinion? Are you able to use it in the car traveling?Is the cheaper data plan adequate for general use?
I have been able to use it in the car with no problem.If 3g is all that you use then I don't think the cheap plan will be enough. If you are using the 3g to fill in wifi gaps for general browsing it might be enough but it won't carry you for long.

Anyone with the 3g version care to give an opinion? Are you able to use it in the car traveling?Is the cheaper data plan adequate for general use?
I have been able to use it in the car with no problem.If 3g is all that you use then I don't think the cheap plan will be enough. If you are using the 3g to fill in wifi gaps for general browsing it might be enough but it won't carry you for long.
As if texting while driving wasn't bad enough. Now we are going to have people with 10" devices trying to type on a virtual keyboard while driving. Nice. Although seeing the vent mount system will be interesting.

Interesting. I think people are starting to realize they don't need all the raw power of full laptops.

44% of iPad buyers view Apple's tablet as notebook replacement

By Sam Oliver

Published: 10:00 AM EST

A survey of iPad buyers found that 44 percent would purchase the touchscreen device instead of a notebook, and 41 percent would not buy an iPod touch as a result of their tablet.

The March 2010 Alphawise survey results, disclosed Thursday by analyst Katy Huberty with Morgan Stanley, give insight into the potential cannibalization of other Apple products due to the release of the iPad. The study found that of the 44 percent who would not buy a notebook, 24 percent would not buy a MacBook, while the other 20 percent would not purchase a PC.

The survey also found that 27 percent of users would not buy a desktop as a result of their iPad purchase, with 14 percent of those not buying a Mac desktop, and the other 13 percent passing on a PC. The survey also found that the iPad will affect e-reader and handheld videogame sales, two segments in which Apple does not have a dedicated device.

Huberty said that the iPad has already had an impact on portable computer sales, which have slowed since the start of 2010. The results suggest that the netbook market was most impacted by Apple's iPad.

"U.S. consumer PC, and especially notebook, growth decelerated in January when Apple introduced the iPad and again in April when the iPad launched," she wrote. "Given the corresponding increase in (average selling prices) in the market, we believe much of the demand shortfall came from netbooks and low-cost notebooks."

The data was included as part of a note on HP's acquisition of Palm for $1.2 billion. HP has already suggested that Palm's WebOS could extend to platforms beyond smartphones, and be ported to tablets and netbooks to compete in the mobile space with Apple's iPad.

"HP's acquisition of a mobile operating system is supportive of our view that mobile Internet devices, and tablets in particular, may prove a headwind to notebook growth," Huberty wrote.

Her "bull case assumptions" suggest the global tablet market could grow to 60 million units in 2013, which is nearly double the current netbook numbers. She expects Apple's iPhone OS and Google's Android mobile operating system to be the market leaders in the tablet space, but said WebOS could capture a 15 percent market share by then.

The projection also calls for 35.6 percent gross margin for HP's WebOS tablets, which would be better than rival HTC's 31.6 percent margins, but well below a projected 2011 gross margin of between 45 percent and 50 percent for Apple and the iPhone and iPad.

Apple's iPad has had a strong start, with recently announced sales of 1 million in the first 28 days, based solely on U.S. sales. That well exceeds most analysts' expectations, most of whom predicted soon after the product's launch that it would sell between 1 million and 5 million in its first year.

During Apple's last quarterly earnings conference call, Tim Cook, the company's chief operating officer, declined to predict how much the iPad would cannibalize sales of other Apple products. He noted that after the iPad was announced in January, there was "nothing obvious" seen in sals of iPods or Macs. He did, however, say that he could see the iPad taking a large portion of the netbook market.

"To me it's a no-brainer: iPad, netbook, it's sort of 100 to zero," Cook said. "I can't think of a single thing the netbook does well, and the iPad does so many things so very well. I'm already personally addicted to mine. I couldn't live without it."
Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Goon,

For what it's worth, if I can get a few kinks worked out, I could view this as a notebook replacement. It's awful close. Traveling with this thing for business would be a dream. I still need to iron out connectivity to my corporate network via the Citrix app, and I still need to iron out a couple issues regarding opening attachments from e-mail etc and working with PDFs and Word docs (some of that will probably be resolved by OS4.0 and the new file management stuff). But if I can get that sorted out, I could see this being my notebook replacement.

Goon,For what it's worth, if I can get a few kinks worked out, I could view this as a notebook replacement. It's awful close. Traveling with this thing for business would be a dream. I still need to iron out connectivity to my corporate network via the Citrix app, and I still need to iron out a couple issues regarding opening attachments from e-mail etc and working with PDFs and Word docs (some of that will probably be resolved by OS4.0 and the new file management stuff). But if I can get that sorted out, I could see this being my notebook replacement.
If you have some feature requests, fax them to 1-800-LUV-IPAD.

I'm still on this constantly, barely touch the iMac or Macbook while at home, and I carry it to and from work every day on my commute. Still rocks.

"To me it's a no-brainer: iPad, netbook, it's sort of 100 to zero," Cook said. "I can't think of a single thing the netbook does well, and the iPad does so many things so very well. I'm already personally addicted to mine. I couldn't live without it."
Just a ridiculous comment.

So we've established that Oat's last name is "Cook"....

I read it to mean it's a "jack of all trades, master of none." It's not as good as a laptop or desktop for surfing the web. The keyboard isn't as good as the full keyboard on a laptop/desktop, and neither is the screen. It's not as snappy as a full on laptop. Basically there's nowhere it excels. The iPad has some serious downsides (no keyboard), but it excels in other areas (web surfing, etc.).Was my take on it anyway. But taken literally, I can see people having a problem with that comment.

Friend bought one at launch and sold it to someone in Turkey on eBay last week. Said it was cool but he found himself using hist netbook more and more and the iPad less and less.

Big problem was that he couldn't use it outside on his patio for more than 10 minutes on a 65-70 degree day without it giving him some message about overheating or something. Not going to fly in the summer when it's above 95 every day.

Meh, the guy is the COO of Apple. Pretty sure there has been a corporate directive emphasizing the importance of slandering netbooks. Nothing threatens Apple's $1800 laptop business model more than extremely light, $300 netbooks when 98% of the population is using their portables primarily for web browsing. I can certainly understand Apple's position.People that buy Cook's spin? Don't think I'll ever understand that.

Big problem was that he couldn't use it outside on his patio for more than 10 minutes on a 65-70 degree day without it giving him some message about overheating or something. Not going to fly in the summer when it's above 95 every day.
Are folks really doing a lot of computing these days out in the hot sun? I saw that message once, but that was when we were at the beach and it was near 90 degrees and I left it laying on top of my bag. Surprised to hear he got that message when he was using it and it was just 65 degrees out.

Are folks really doing a lot of computing these days out in the hot sun? I saw that message once, but that was when we were at the beach and it was near 90 degrees and I left it laying on top of my bag. Surprised to hear he got that message when he was using it and it was just 65 degrees out.
Seems weird to me too but that's what he said and maybe it was direct sun and no shade there.As far as computing outside, I think he spends a lot of downtime in his backyard surfing the web.

Meh, the guy is the COO of Apple. Pretty sure there has been a corporate directive emphasizing the importance of slandering netbooks. Nothing threatens Apple's $1800 laptop business model more than extremely light, $300 netbooks when 98% of the population is using their portables primarily for web browsing. I can certainly understand Apple's position.People that buy Cook's spin? Don't think I'll ever understand that.
tommy, why does everything from Apple have to be some sort grand conspiracy in your mind? Yes, I'm sure he is aware that netbooks are the iPad's target market so he's playing that angle up, but it's nothing different than what every business person does with the release of a new product. :( Otis nailed it here. Netbooks are literally, by definition, scaled-back versions of a notebook. They are small, underpowered and clunky. With a netbook you sacrifice power and usability for portability and price. The iPad focuses on enhancing the tasks it was made for. Web, email, music, movies, games... etc. The user experience is night and day.

Seems weird to me too but that's what he said and maybe it was direct sun and no shade there.As far as computing outside, I think he spends a lot of downtime in his backyard surfing the web.
I do Picklesnet stuff a lot outside. Usually, its just browsing on my BB and sending emails while sitting out back grilling or drinking beer or lounging in the pool.

tommy, why does everything from Apple have to be some sort grand conspiracy in your mind? Yes, I'm sure he is aware that netbooks are the iPad's target market so he's playing that angle up, but it's nothing different than what every business person does with the release of a new product. :coffee:
:coffee: I agree with you - I think Cook was just toeing the corporate line. Surely he's not stupid enough to actually believe "netbooks don't do anything well". The fact that Jobs has made similar comments in the past leads me to believe it's more strategy than a random, off the cuff thought. I was being sarcastic w/re to the corporate directive, over emphasizing my point.
Otis nailed it here. Netbooks are literally, by definition, scaled-back versions of a notebook. They are small, underpowered and clunky. With a netbook you sacrifice power and usability for portability and price. The iPad focuses on enhancing the tasks it was made for. Web, email, music, movies, games... etc. The user experience is night and day.
Don't all portable devices (including the iPad) "sacrifice power and usability for portability and price"? I won't get into "user experience" being night and day, b/c to be fair I haven't used an iPad. I have no doubt that browsing the web is fun on the iPad. But the shortcomings that you'll marginalize (lack of a physical keyboard for email and posting on message boards, awkward viewing angles, lack of HD space, lack of ports) are actually important to my user experience.

I live very close to a beach and use my laptop and e-reader outside all the time. we also have a pool and I'll lounge while the kids swim. In fact I was the first guy to get laughed at for mentioning carrying the thing to the beach and the issues it could have. So yeah I can see this being a factor.

I do Picklesnet stuff a lot outside. Usually, its just browsing on my BB and sending emails while sitting out back grilling or drinking beer or lounging in the pool.
Me too. I think it may be a warm weather state thing. The things that the iPad does great - newspapers and magazines make it perfect for patio/deck/pool use. I'd buy an iPad today if I could take it to the pool with me.

There are a few of the 32G WiFi version on eBay (used) for around $400 with a couple hours left. Retail is 599 so it will be interesting to see if any of them sell under the retail price.

There are a few of the 32G WiFi version on eBay (used) for around $400 with a couple hours left. Retail is 599 so it will be interesting to see if any of them sell under the retail price.
They will run up a bunch in the final minutes. I sold my 32GB wifi version for $600 cash last week (via Craigslist listing), but I threw in a free case.

They will run up a bunch in the final minutes. I sold my 32GB wifi version for $600 cash last week (via Craigslist listing), but I threw in a free case.
That's a good deal since they are $599 + tax at checkout.

Does it come with the ability to view and edit word and excel docs? If not, is there an app for it and how much does that cost?

Does it come with the ability to view and edit word and excel docs? If not, is there an app for it and how much does that cost?
Yes, the new iWork apps are Pages and Numbers (and Keynote is the Powerpoint one), and they are ten bucks each.

Me too. I think it may be a warm weather state thing. The things that the iPad does great - newspapers and magazines make it perfect for patio/deck/pool use. I'd buy an iPad today if I could take it to the pool with me.
65 degree thing must be incorrect or must be in direct sun or something.My house is set to 70 degrees most of the time and I use my iPad for hours without any issues.And I can't say that I'd be willing to bring my iPad in the pool with me :confused:Also, count me in on the iPad replacing my notebook (old Mac iBook) because that's exactly what I purchased the iPad to do.I realized that I only used my iBook to surf these days and I use my iMac at the desk to do any heavy lifting. The iPad specificallyfilled that need for me and now my sad little iBook is collecting dust in the corner.

And I can't say that I'd be willing to bring my iPad in the pool with me :goodposting:
You must not go to the pool regularly.
Also, count me in on the iPad replacing my notebook (old Mac iBook) because that's exactly why I purchased the iPad to do.I realized that I only used my iBook to surf these days and I use my iMac at the desk to do any heavy lifting. The iPad specificallyfilled that need for me and now my sad little iBook is collecting dust in the corner.
Agree with this. It's why netbooks are taking over the pc market - 95% of home pc use is browsing the web. Who needs an $1800 notebook for web browsing?

Buying the iPad has stopped me from upgrading my personal laptop probably for quite sometime.

Regarding the 3G version. I dont see myself getting it for awhile, since I do have a 3GS iPhone. I am wondering when the 4G/ LTE / WiMax apple products and networks will be available. If less than 18 months I may skip the next 3G product refresh, which begins with the new phone next month.

Any guesses if iPhone / iPad 2011 will be 4g / LTE network compatible??

The Apple iPad case works great in conjunction with towel racks.

Here's my mounted iPad across from the ####ter.

Pic

The Apple iPad case works great in conjunction with towel racks.

Here's my mounted iPad across from the ####ter.

Pic
Hmmm. How long does it take to watch an hour long show 44 minutes or something. Think the timing would be just about right.

Oat, you mentioned earlier that you update your NYTimes before you head out on the metro. Are you using the NYTimes iPhone app? The NYTimes iPad app (seems far more limited). I've been using just nytimes.com when I want to read stuff. The iPad app didn't seem so great when I tried it out awhile ago.And as far as your VZ Fios app, this is iPhone app too, right?I hate using the apps that aren't formatted for iPad yet. I use the iPhone Mint app and looks a little ridiculous on the iPad screen.
I'm using the iPad app. I love it. Updated it before each subway trip (to work/from work). Generally some fresh stories each time. Only gripes are that I wish I could make it update automatically on some time interval, and it has crashed a few times.The FIOS app is the iPhone version yes.
If they have a "fluent news" app for ipad i would give it a shot. It works great consolidating news storys from all major news sources. (on iphone)

Holy cow, I just got to use this for the first time.

I could easily see replacing our home laptop with this for surfing the web and checking email. My wife already wants one, if I tell her how awesome it is, I'm sure we will end up getting one.

The thing is much faster than my Dell laptop for surfing the web and looking at email.

Holy cow, I just got to use this for the first time.I could easily see replacing our home laptop with this for surfing the web and checking email. My wife already wants one, if I tell her how awesome it is, I'm sure we will end up getting one.The thing is much faster than my Dell laptop for surfing the web and looking at email.
My wife LOVES our iPad (I can't call it mine since it was supposed to be 'Ours'). However, between her book reading, internet and e-mail usage, some nights I don't get to use it at all. I have no choice. I'm buying her her own iPad for our anniversary next month since she's starting to use it at work now. (She's a 2nd grade teacher)

Holy cow, I just got to use this for the first time.I could easily see replacing our home laptop with this for surfing the web and checking email. My wife already wants one, if I tell her how awesome it is, I'm sure we will end up getting one.The thing is much faster than my Dell laptop for surfing the web and looking at email.
My wife LOVES our iPad (I can't call it mine since it was supposed to be 'Ours'). However, between her book reading, internet and e-mail usage, some nights I don't get to use it at all. I have no choice. I'm buying her her own iPad for our anniversary next month since she's starting to use it at work now. (She's a 2nd grade teacher)
You two have kids? Mother's Day is this weekend, a new iPad from the kids is a perfect gift! ;)I gotta stop coming into this thread. Makes me want to run out and grab one every time. :lmao:

You two have kids? Mother's Day is this weekend, a new iPad from the kids is a perfect gift! :shrug:I gotta stop coming into this thread. Makes me want to run out and grab one every time. :popcorn:
I'm temped to get one for wifey for Mothers day as well. She uses her work cpu (IBM laptop) as her home cpu for net browsing. The iPad would be a HUGE upgrade for her and she could leave her cpu at work.

You two have kids? Mother's Day is this weekend, a new iPad from the kids is a perfect gift! ;)I gotta stop coming into this thread. Makes me want to run out and grab one every time. :shrug:
I'm temped to get one for wifey for Mothers day as well. She uses her work cpu (IBM laptop) as her home cpu for net browsing. The iPad would be a HUGE upgrade for her and she could leave her cpu at work.
BRILLIANT! :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread