What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Deangelo Williams a perfect buy-low? (1 Viewer)

I just for the life of me cannot understand why the Panthers would pay a guy 21 million upfront and 43 million over 5 years to give him the ball 6 times a game.

Just traded Brandon Jacobs for him. I like to gamble, who knows.
Wow! What a coincidence! I did the same trade. Seems like a good one to me. Hope it pays the dividends
Only reason I did it was because of the contract and the improved qb play. He's a great buy low right now, a lottery ticket. Jacobs is a spot starter at best and had a bad game yesterday if not for a fluke 50 yard td catch. Stick him at the end of your bench and hope he reaches his potential. Worth the gamble to me.

DWill the bench warmer from last year will still be the Bench Warmer this year in Fantasy land. Cam is a goal-line vulture and a ball hog doesn't help this situation at all, the only Value (what little that is left) in RB on this team is J-Stew and that's only in PPR (1pt per). The only wild card here is a NFL trade before the week 6 deadline, however since they just signed DWILL to a huge contract and it's a lot of risk for any other team, especially when he really haven't shown anything since the year before last, so it's super long shot. Washington loves to make generous stupid trades for super star names, but Shanahan is terrible with for RB, just look what he did with Hillis back in Denver. maybe Ari will pick him up since a 8-8 in that division is good enough for the playoffs and Bennie is hurt as always.... good luck everyone.
Well, I for one, will not give up on him after the 3rd week. Especially since he has always done this. FWIW, Dwill has never been a goal line back. If you look at the year when he had double digit touchdowns, you can pretty much tell that he usually scored from the 20 or further. So the Cam vulture scenario really impacts Stewart more than Deangello. If he can get it going then I do not worry about the Vulture aspect. Look at these numbers below to see what I mean. These are from the year he scored 20 TouchdownsWeek 5 - 2TD - Long run of 32 (10 Yd rushing Td, and a 25 Yd passing TD)Week 9 - 1TD - Long run of 69 (TD run)Week 10- 2TD - Long of 56 (TD run)Week 11- 1TD - Long of 21Week 12- 4TD - Long of 27 (TDs were pretty much redzone opportunities, but when he is doing this, can you really see them not giving him any shots down there)Week 13- 2TD - Long of 36 (TD run) (2nd TD was from the 16, so not exactly goal line)Week 14- 1TD - Long of 56 (TD run)Week 15- 4TD - Long of 30 (TD run) (1st TD was from the 13) He was hot so they gave it to him inside the 5He started this after week 5, and it only got going really great in week 9. He is notorious for this, and he was injured last season. Look, he may be done, just like you all seem to think he is, and if it proves to be that way, then I will not be surprised after this poor start. However, with a history like the one above, I would rather keep him and hope he blows up. FWIW, he was averaging around the same YPC thru 3 games that year too.

Last edited by a moderator:
DWill the bench warmer from last year will still be the Bench Warmer this year in Fantasy land. Cam is a goal-line vulture and a ball hog doesn't help this situation at all, the only Value (what little that is left) in RB on this team is J-Stew and that's only in PPR (1pt per). The only wild card here is a NFL trade before the week 6 deadline, however since they just signed DWILL to a huge contract and it's a lot of risk for any other team, especially when he really haven't shown anything since the year before last, so it's super long shot. Washington loves to make generous stupid trades for super star names, but Shanahan is terrible with for RB, just look what he did with Hillis back in Denver. maybe Ari will pick him up since a 8-8 in that division is good enough for the playoffs and Bennie is hurt as always.... good luck everyone.
Well, I for one, will not give up on him after the 3rd week. Especially since he has always done this. FWIW, Dwill has never been a goal line back. If you look at the year when he had double digit touchdowns, you can pretty much tell that he usually scored from the 20 or further. So the Cam vulture scenario really impacts Stewart more than Deangello. If he can get it going then I do not worry about the Vulture aspect. Look at these numbers below to see what I mean. These are from the year he scored 20 TouchdownsWeek 5 - 2TD - Long run of 32 (10 Yd rushing Td, and a 25 Yd passing TD)Week 9 - 1TD - Long run of 69 (TD run)Week 10- 2TD - Long of 56 (TD run)Week 11- 1TD - Long of 21Week 12- 4TD - Long of 27 (TDs were pretty much redzone opportunities, but when he is doing this, can you really see them not giving him any shots down there)Week 13- 2TD - Long of 36 (TD run) (2nd TD was from the 16, so not exactly goal line)Week 14- 1TD - Long of 56 (TD run)Week 15- 4TD - Long of 30 (TD run) (1st TD was from the 13) He was hot so they gave it to him inside the 5He started this after week 5, and it only got going really great in week 9. He is notorious for this, and he was injured last season. Look, he may be done, just like you all seem to think he is, and if it proves to be that way, then I will not be surprised after this poor start. However, with a history like the one above, I would rather keep him and hope he blows up. FWIW, he was averaging around the same YPC thru 3 games that year too.
My eyes tell me there's no chance of this happening, but I owned him the year he blew up and I was ready to bail just like I am now. So, I'm holding on but I think it may take a J-Stew injury.

I just for the life of me cannot understand why the Panthers would pay a guy 21 million upfront and 43 million over 5 years to give him the ball 6 times a game.
they didnt realize his skills had declined when they signed him. now they do, so he plays less.

I would also like to add that coach Rivera seems to feel like it's coming

Www.catscratchreader.com

I think his slow starts can often be attributed to the blocks not being efficient. He is a back that can bust off the big runs when the whole is there. Obviously the head coach knows this too, and sees it. A stud O-tackle in Otah has missed at least 1 game, and on top of that, I think Jax actually has a resemblance to pretty good rushing defense

If that good Oline can open holes, then Dwill will start busting off big gains. Plus they can't let cam pass for 400 yds each game

I would also like to add that coach Rivera seems to feel like it's comingWww.catscratchfever.comI think his slow starts can often be attributed to the blocks not being efficient. He is a back that can bust off the big runs when the whole is there. Obviously the head coach knows this too, and sees it. A stud O-tackle in Otah has missed at least 1 game, and on top of that, I think Jax actually has a resemblance to pretty good rushing defenseIf that good Oline can open holes, then Dwill will start busting off big gains. Plus they can't let cam pass for 400 yds each game
But until teams stop putting 8 and 9 man fronts its gonna be pass pass pass. teams just don't believe Newton can beat them. I think that Packer game though will still change some minds and Williams might get a little breathing room. but as long as Cam keeps throwing INT's in man on man coverage it aint gonna change much and unless they start throwing to Williams he won't be much use.It is sad as I believe Williams is a much more talented back than alot of guys who are having fine years.

they didnt realize his skills had declined when they signed him. now they do, so he plays less.
LOL! I would love to know how we can assuredly say that he has declined! Here is a good question for you. Deangello Williams and Chris Johnson are a lot alike. They both require that the O line open up holes and then they produce explosive plays, when they see that daylight. So, they are both stinking it up thru 3 games, and Deangello is actually averaging about 1 yd per carry more than CJ. So, you think that CJ has lost his skills too?

LOL! I would love to know how we can assuredly say that he has declined! Here is a good question for you. Deangello Williams and Chris Johnson are a lot alike. They both require that the O line open up holes and then they produce explosive plays, when they see that daylight. So, they are both stinking it up thru 3 games, and Deangello is actually averaging about 1 yd per carry more than CJ. So, you think that CJ has lost his skills too?
I know, it amazes me how many people think stats = talent.

I would also like to add that coach Rivera seems to feel like it's comingWww.catscratchfever.comI think his slow starts can often be attributed to the blocks not being efficient. He is a back that can bust off the big runs when the whole is there. Obviously the head coach knows this too, and sees it. A stud O-tackle in Otah has missed at least 1 game, and on top of that, I think Jax actually has a resemblance to pretty good rushing defenseIf that good Oline can open holes, then Dwill will start busting off big gains. Plus they can't let cam pass for 400 yds each game
But until teams stop putting 8 and 9 man fronts its gonna be pass pass pass. teams just don't believe Newton can beat them. I think that Packer game though will still change some minds and Williams might get a little breathing room. but as long as Cam keeps throwing INT's in man on man coverage it aint gonna change much and unless they start throwing to Williams he won't be much use.It is sad as I believe Williams is a much more talented back than alot of guys who are having fine years.
I understand the concern. However, can we really say that this situation is any different than when they had Dellhomme? I am sure they saw their share of 8 in the box back then too.

As a big Williams fan, I admit that Stewart seems to be getting more mileage from his touches than Williams is. That's troubling to me. I don't think it's diminishing skills. Williams hasn't had horrible, career threatening injuries and he's still in his prime age wise without a ton of carries, so there's no real evidence of diminishing ability.Some people have pointed to Chris Johnson. Why is he struggling? The thing they do have in common is having recently signed big contracts. I always dismiss the contract aspect of performance...but maybe I'm wrong and these two guys just don't have their heads and hearts in it yet.

As a big Williams fan, I admit that Stewart seems to be getting more mileage from his touches than Williams is. That's troubling to me. I don't think it's diminishing skills. Williams hasn't had horrible, career threatening injuries and he's still in his prime age wise without a ton of carries, so there's no real evidence of diminishing ability.Some people have pointed to Chris Johnson. Why is he struggling? The thing they do have in common is having recently signed big contracts. I always dismiss the contract aspect of performance...but maybe I'm wrong and these two guys just don't have their heads and hearts in it yet.
He can't get any better with the touches he is getting. Coach can talk all about the line opening holes and whatever, but he is not getting the ball. He is the starter and that is it. Jon Stewart is the in between guy and closer. Heck yesterday they had Stewart in on 1 and 2nd then they brought the other back in...Goodsen...not DA. He can't score anything without the ball. I bailed, I have Bernard Scott so I just sent DA to the Stwart owner and he gave me Ced Benson. I had enough

Well, As I have been saying. This seems to be a yearly thing for these backs. Whether it is a lot of new faces on the Oline or needing time to get on the same page, or what. I think that when the coach is saying that he is not getting the blocks he needs, that you should take that for a good answer in week 3. If this is still going on around or after the bye, then it will be time to start wondering. Now, is just too soon. I mean, Ray Rice started out last season in a slump. He finished with a pretty great year. No back ever really has 16 games of solid production, and it can be line play, schedule, undisclosed injury, etc. If I can get like 8-10 high scoring games from a RB, then I consider that better than whatever is on the WW. If DWill makes it past week 6 and still struggling, then I will understand the huge concern. IMO, he is worth waiting on, just to see if he can round it back into form, and give us some 20-30 point games. He is totally capable. -If its line play, then I have confidence they will find a blocking scheme that can work.-Schedule? Well they have played two 3-4 defenses, and yesterday was so stinking wet that I can't really take anything from that. Lets see what they can do against a 4-3. You just never know, so I call him a good play next week. -If it's undisclosed injury like it was with Ray Rice last year, then there is nothing you can do but wait.In any case, I do not think 3 weeks is enough time to decide he is droppable, tradeable, or done!Late

I cant believe the optimism with DWill still, though it seems to be coming from the people "buying low", and not the people ready to pillage DWill's mom after drafting him.

Wow! What a coincidence! I did the same trade. Seems like a good one to me. Hope it pays the dividends
Wow, if I thought I could get Jacobs for this bum I wouldve been shopping him already. Might have to throw some offers out there and see what sticks.
Wow! Really? I would say that neither back is doing all that great. Jacobs has been fortunate enough to get a TD, and one long catch. However, it is not like he has some insurmountable lead over Deangello. This was a trade I made in week 1, when both backs had pretty much identical stats, and points. Right now, I would say that I could have gone either way. We will see what happens down the road though. I am pretty sure Bradshaw will end up with 2/3 share of carries just like he did last year. It is still early, and they have not been overworking him to this point.

Ha, I can't believe the pessimism on Dwill, after only 3 games. It is pretty knee jerk, but I guess its " to each his own "

I do not see anyone just blatantly giving up on CJ or Ingram or Mendenhall

I cant believe the optimism with DWill still, though it seems to be coming from the people "buying low", and not the people ready to pillage DWill's mom after drafting him.
Agree. I see al ot of "not worried yet" and "will wait until week 6 or so" types of posts. But in my league, week 6 = season half over. I normally don't have the depth to wait for half the season to be gone.I really don't understand all the people that reference "he starts slow all the time". I do not know what the tie in is that is reasonable between a guy starting slow 2-3 years ago vs. what the player is now. to me, he just looks to be an average rb on a bad team that does not get much work.

Ha, I can't believe the pessimism on Dwill, after only 3 games. It is pretty knee jerk, but I guess its " to each his own "I do not see anyone just blatantly giving up on CJ or Ingram or Mendenhall
You can't possibly be naive enough to think that Dwill's situation is anywhere near the other 3 guys that you listed. DWill is "splitting" carries on a pass-first team and he doesn't sniff the goal line. The other 3 guys are either the primary RBs for their team or they receive significant carries (plus goalline).

Ha, I can't believe the pessimism on Dwill, after only 3 games. It is pretty knee jerk, but I guess its " to each his own "I do not see anyone just blatantly giving up on CJ or Ingram or Mendenhall
You can't possibly be naive enough to think that Dwill's situation is anywhere near the other 3 guys that you listed. DWill is "splitting" carries on a pass-first team and he doesn't sniff the goal line. The other 3 guys are either the primary RBs for their team or they receive significant carries (plus goalline).
Ingram does not split carries on a pass first team? How are we now considering the panthers a pass first team after 3 weeks? Plus what does splitting carries have to do with anything? Its all about what they do with the carries they get. Carolina's backs have always split carries, and in the past D has done enough with what he got to be considered at least an RB2. All I am saying is that all of these backs cant even be considered RB 3s or 4s the way they are playing. No matter how many carries they getHe sniffs the goal line. He just does it from the 20 and beyond ;-)

Wow, if I thought I could get Jacobs for this bum I wouldve been shopping him already. Might have to throw some offers out there and see what sticks.
Wow! Really? I would say that neither back is doing all that great. Jacobs has been fortunate enough to get a TD, and one long catch. However, it is not like he has some insurmountable lead over Deangello. This was a trade I made in week 1, when both backs had pretty much identical stats, and points. Right now, I would say that I could have gone either way. We will see what happens down the road though. I am pretty sure Bradshaw will end up with 2/3 share of carries just like he did last year. It is still early, and they have not been overworking him to this point.
Jacobs: 157 total yards, 2 TDsDeAngelo: 107 total yards, 0 TDsYes, I would take Jacobs in a minute over DWill right now.

Ingram does not split carries on a pass first team? How are we now considering the panthers a pass first team after 3 weeks? Plus what does splitting carries have to do with anything? Its all about what they do with the carries they get. Carolina's backs have always split carries, and in the past D has done enough with what he got to be considered at least an RB2. All I am saying is that all of these backs cant even be considered RB 3s or 4s the way they are playing. No matter how many carries they getHe sniffs the goal line. He just does it from the 20 and beyond ;-)
Ingram splits carries but he is the goalline back. In 3 games, Ingram has 13, 14 and 9 carries. Additionally, he's their goalline back. In 3 games, Williams has 12, 5 and 10 carries. He's not the goalline back. For fantasy purposes, thats a huge difference. In all 3 games, Carolina has more passing attempts than rushing attempts. Would that not make them a pass first offense?Splitting carries makes a huge difference for the simple reason that a rb who receives more carries has more potential to have a greater fantasy impact. Not sure how this is debatable. Also, Williams has done very little with the few touches that he's received. I agree that DWill has been a very good rb in the past. We're talking about the present. He's had minimal impact so far and I don't see that changing. I hope you're right because I'm an owner.

OH well. I am not here to argue anyway. I just saw the thread and figured I would give my opinion. Right or Wrong? I do not know, but we will see. I will see how it goes, and in the end, if he is washed up like everyone says then I will have been wrong. Makes me no difference really since I have Rice, Mcfadden, Starks, Addai, and Mcgahee right now. I gave up Jacobs because I knew I would not be playing him, and wanted a potential upside player. Which no matter what anyone else thinks, Deangello Williams has some upside IMO

The OP was asking if anyone thought he was a good buy low, and IMO he was because you really would not have to give up much to get him. So why not?

I just hate to see anyone give up on him after 3 games like I did before, just to watch him blow the F up! So if you can truly buy him LOW, then I think it is a good idea just incase the run game starts to get going in CAR. I try not to put too much stock in previous seasons, but when you look at the last 2-3 years, it is pretty much obvious that this is not the first time they have started slow. There is a 25% chance that it could happen again. FF is all about that chance, week to week except for some very minimal sure things. Im IN for now!

Good Luck All!

Late

I understand the concern. However, can we really say that this situation is any different than when they had Dellhomme? I am sure they saw their share of 8 in the box back then too.
I know it is hard for people to wrap their mind around it because of the 400 yard games but defenses respected Delhomme more. Newtons yardage totals are happening because they don't respect him enough to drop any extra guys back. Delhomme could read defenses pretty well so teams had to mix it up. That being said Newton almost led them to a victory in G.B despite him not playing real well. I am hoping teams start to drop people back a little more because they seen what almost happened in G.B. as a Williams owner myself it is really his only hope to be useful again.

I know it is hard for people to wrap their mind around it because of the 400 yard games but defenses respected Delhomme more. Newtons yardage totals are happening because they don't respect him enough to drop any extra guys back. Delhomme could read defenses pretty well so teams had to mix it up. That being said Newton almost led them to a victory in G.B despite him not playing real well. I am hoping teams start to drop people back a little more because they seen what almost happened in G.B. as a Williams owner myself it is really his only hope to be useful again.
Steve Smith laid a Goose egg this week, so no, people won't respect that passing game any time soon. I'm guessing here most people still has hope for DWILL in fantasy land didn't have him last year. As for true DWILL football fans, at least your boy got a sizable contract for his awesomeness, and you should be happy for him as a person. As a football player I think DWILL is very talanted and would do much better in a team without JSTEW and a rookie running QB, you can plug any starting RB in DWILL's situation and they will suffer the same fate.

Deangelo Williams has 61 total rushing yards after 3 weeks which is only 61 more yards than I have.

In addition, his average is only 2.3 yards per carry which is only 2.3 yards per carry more than my average.

As for "buy-low", I would say his value is somewhere between belly button lint and toe jam.

:boxing:

I agree that he's a sell high. I am still shaking my head on what the hell the Panthers were thinking giving him that kind of contract.

From a financial standpoint it just doesn't make sense. He's 28 years old, but arguably more like 30 in RB years. He has a lot of mileage

going back to his days at Memphis (I think he's like the 10th leading rusher in NCAA history).

The Panthers would've been much better off giving the keys to Stewart and having a rookie or cheaper FA signee back him up this year.

I don't think things will change anytime soon. We could be looking at an Alexander, LJ, or Portis type dropoff here.

I agree that he's a sell high. I am still shaking my head on what the hell the Panthers were thinking giving him that kind of contract.From a financial standpoint it just doesn't make sense. He's 28 years old, but arguably more like 30 in RB years. He has a lot of mileagegoing back to his days at Memphis (I think he's like the 10th leading rusher in NCAA history).The Panthers would've been much better off giving the keys to Stewart and having a rookie or cheaper FA signee back him up this year.I don't think things will change anytime soon. We could be looking at an Alexander, LJ, or Portis type dropoff here.
969 carries, 70 receptions and I think 35 kick returns in college. That's 1,074 "touches" before stepping on an NFL field. On the other hand, J Stew had 516 carries and 49 receptions. He had nearly 500 fewer touches on his tires from day 1.

He was dropped in one of my leagues and I lost Charles. I may drop Freeman to pick him up. Although Stewart is available as well, which now has me thinking which Carolina back I would rather have.

He was dropped in one of my leagues and I lost Charles. I may drop Freeman to pick him up. Although Stewart is available as well, which now has me thinking which Carolina back I would rather have.
PPR? I'm thinking Stewart in either regard.

Stewart is the way to go there. If it weren't for the huge deal D Will got which Carolina is still trying to justify by giving him the "start" each week, D Will would be the clear #2 and would have a ceiling in this offense of 500 combined yards and 3 TDs.

I drafted both DWill and Stewart thinking DWill was the value and Stewart the handcuff. After 3 weeks i'm ready to admit I was wrong. If I start either it is much more likely to be Stewart at this point until further notice.

I had a trade on the table to receive Woodhead for D. Will but I ended up declining it. The owner who proposed the trade to me made it clear that he wouldn't offer it to me again. Sigh....I basically just married DeAngelo for the season. The reason I declined the trade is due to his past history of exploding after the 4th or 5th week of the season and I can only hope that's what ends up happening. Right now I'm 0-3 and I lost Charles for the season last week. I really need this guy to come thru for me. I'm trying to be patient.

Not sure of what the upside is here. He's not the 3rd down back nor sniffs the ball anywhere close to the goalline (not to mention Cam will vulture goalline TD's). The carries he's getting should all be going to Stewart.

I wouldn't give Bush for Dwill in a PPR league personally. I don't even think DWill's an upgrade over Mike Goodson.

Stewart is the way to go there. If it weren't for the huge deal D Will got which Carolina is still trying to justify by giving him the "start" each week, D Will would be the clear #2 and would have a ceiling in this offense of 500 combined yards and 3 TDs.
All sorts of nonsense here. Why did they pay him if Stewart is better? This situation is identical to the one in Tennessee. These guys have to acclimate themselves to a new offensive system.

D Will owner wants R Bush, McGahee and Knox. Not sure I want to give up three bums for one.
I'd take DWill over other three. Plus open up 2 roster spots to play the WW. DWill over McGahee is close. But 6 weeks from now I could see DWill as a more likely contributor then McGahee. I'd rather have DWill, I. Redman and Powell for instance the rest of the season then three known commodities that aren't going to lead you to the promised land.

All sorts of nonsense here. Why did they pay him if Stewart is better? This situation is identical to the one in Tennessee. These guys have to acclimate themselves to a new offensive system.
:yawn: Watch the games guy...Until then, do everyone a favor & just keep quiet.

I've watched every game thus far. I know what I see.

or just read pff after, stewart plays a lot more than deangelo. take from that what you may, i take that its bc stewart is better. and btw, this notion that is pervading this forum that projects workload to players based on money and not performance sure seems flawed to me.

or just read pff after, stewart plays a lot more than deangelo. take from that what you may, i take that its bc stewart is better. and btw, this notion that is pervading this forum that projects workload to players based on money and not performance sure seems flawed to me.
I've seen that Stewart has been in there more. It still doesn't support your theory. I'm not a head coach or gm, but as a logical person I don't understand why you pay someone to not use them. I'm guessing that they want to make sure he has recovered from his injury. As an owner in 2 dynasties it is frustrating, but it doesn't mean that he's the inferior player. Seems like they want to protect their investment.

but as a logical person I don't understand why you pay someone to not use them.
bc you may feel someone else gives you a better chance to win games. as a (possibly) logical person, i dont understand why you would expect a franchise to compound a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread