What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Deangelo Williams a perfect buy-low? (1 Viewer)

Parkers99

Footballguy
Being an Auburn fan, I watched Cam elevate a mediocre SEC team to an unstoppable offensive force. He put up around 50 TDs - but one thing that stands out is how effective the RB's were once he became the focus of an opponents linebackers. I'm not sure this translates appropriately to the NFL since Auburn was running a spread option, but am I wrong in thinking as teams adjust to his game, Deangelo could put up fantastic numbers? When Vick was in Atlanta, they lead the league in rushing.

Considering William's awful week one, it may be a good time to offer up a trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a DeAngelo owner, I wish I could get what I paid for him (41st overall) but I doubt that I will. Stewart is going to get a lot more carries than I expected, and Cam's ability to run is only going to keep defenders closer to the line of scrimmage. On passing plays, he was looking downfield to Smith or Olsen, being patient, and not looking to checkdown. Perhaps he will against a better defense, but I'm not optimistic he'll live up to his draft position.

Being an Auburn fan, I watched Cam elevate a mediocre SEC team to an unstoppable offensive force. He put up around 50 TDs - but one thing that stands out is how effective the RB's were once he became the focus of an opponents linebackers. I'm not sure this translates appropriately to the NFL since Auburn was running a spread option, but am I wrong in thinking as teams adjust to his game, Deangelo could put up fantastic numbers? When Vick was in Atlanta, they lead the league in rushing.Considering William's awful week one, it may be a good time to offer up a trade.
One of my good friend owns DeAngelo in 2 different leagues were in. I made offers for him in both but doesnt look like a deal will be made.QBs who are a threat to run absolutely help the overall ground game. See Vick in Atlanta, see CJ2K's splits with Collins vs Young.I think after another poor outing vs GB, DeAngelo becomes an even better buy low candidate. Stewart should have some value too as long as he can stay healthy. I own him in one league and think he's a good RB4 who could pay dividends late in the year, especially if Williams has his own injury problems.

Owned DeAngelo Wiliams, Jonathan Stewart and Mike Gooden (dynasty) - Sold Williams relatively high, hoping that Stewart and Gooden will be south of 30 when a good FF RB opportunity asserts itself in Carolina.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cam and the Auburn rb's dominated because they and their offensive linemen were more talented than the other teams.

Auburn offered more money to them than the other $E¢ schools were paying.

I traded Deangelo for Manningham before the games. I don't have any regrets, yet. Both underwhelmed.

DeAngelo is more talented than most Rbs in the league. He's just a notch below guys like Ray Rice or MJD. He's just in a tough situation. His talent should mitigate that somewhat.

I expect him to come in around 1100-1200 yards if he stays healthy.

For all the fireworks and scintillating plays last week from Newton and Smith, guess what....they lost the game. Unlike fantasy football, NFL coaches want to win over all else.

I still don't buy that the Panthers paid DeAngelo that much money not to use him. And I also don't think that any future opponents dare Cam Newton to throw on them. The Cardinals oversold on the run and figured Cam didn't have the mettle to make the game competitive. They were wrong. But the sacrificial lamb was DeAngelo.

Potential positives:

• Unless Newton's game one is seen as an aberration, the defense will not continue to sell out on the run and DeAngelo will finally get some decent holes to work with.

• He's still in his prime, healthy, and a balanced offense helps him find running lanes.

• He's usually a slow starter, and he's likely to kick it into high gear after his bye week.

Potential negatives:

• The uncertainty of Cam Newton's effect, particularly at the goal line.

• The potential 3 way time share of running duties with Jonathan Stewart and Newton.

• The schedule that dictates that any and all Carolina RB’s are a matchup play from here on in.

Is he a buy low? Certainly. I'd sell him cheap if I could. What I mean by cheap is I'd give him to you for a round to two discount. So I drafted him at 4.04. I'd let him go for select players up to oh, about 6.06. (The THT's and Reggie Bush's, Santana Moss's, or maybe even AJ Green). One exception is that I’d let him go for Starks, drafted in the 10th round. That to me is selling low. I am not going to give him up for less than that. To be brutally honest, I think any DeAngelo owner is kicking himself for making that pick.

Sure, he's a decent buy-low.

Even during last week's disaster, he got 12 carries and almost twice as many as J-Stew.

More importantly, one of the biggest drawbacks to Deangelo on draft day appears as though it won't be an issue. On fantasy draft day, most assumed CAR had an absolutely horrible QB.

The running game will open up with Cam demonstrating that he can make big plays down the field. Clearly, AZ didn't factor in Cam's ability to make big plays in the passing game. Other teams will.

When teams don't blitz like AZ did (and they won't), I could even see a few more looks in the passing game. Not much reason to check down against AZ when they were selling out. My guess is that the RB will be Cam's only viable passing option on a number of occasions against GB.

So, he's making bell cow money. Even in a game where AZ sold out to stop the run and CAR seemed to ignore the run game and Deangelo, he got 13 touches.

Deangelo's a decent buy low for the right price. I'm sure many owners are selling him for peanuts.

Cam's ability to run is only going to keep defenders closer to the line of scrimmage.
Disagree. Quarterbacks who can run always open up running lanes for RB's. McCoy last year with Vick as QB, Chris Johnson in 2009 with Vince Young as QB. Defender's are a little slower to react to the run action and more likely to stay in their lane longer when you have a QB who can run. It keeps the defense on their heels.

STAYING AWAY

I learned my lesson the hard way last year. I traded for him in week 2 and several other owners cried foul on the trade. They felt I fleeced the owner. I traded MICHAEL VICK, yes that's right. Vick was behind Kolb and hadn't taken over yet in Philly. Every owner screamed bloody murder and we know how that turned out! D'Angelo suck bag was horrendous while Vick was the league MVP.

I let you guys know who I target trading for this year so you can run away. LOL

In Buy Low candidates I'm looking for guys that have beaten down value but high-upside.

Deangelo's value will likely be further beaten down after playing the Packers, but his upside is capped by the presence of both Stewart and now Cam. Even though Fox is gone, this is starting out as a repeat of the 2009 season, where both DWill/Stew had good overall seasons but it was a crapshoot any given week who would score the most fantasy points.

Even though Williams will likely get more carries this season, I'll let someone else watch Deangelo rip off a 25-yarder to the 2-yard line only to have Cam or JStew finish it off.

I drafted him in the 4th or 5th (somewhere in there) and I haven't even thought of selling him because I just don't think one week tells the story here.

There was such an obvious (almost faulty)plan to completely challenge Newton to throw against them that it seems everything was skewed for both teams in terms of fantasy.

We have to keep in mind that the first game of the season is always unique in that teams have months to plan. from here on out, they have days. So I think it will take about 2 more games for us to really see what is going to be what for most teams and especially teams with new starters at Qb.

• He's usually a slow starter, and he's likely to kick it into high gear after his bye week.
Hmmm. His game logs show that this is true. As stated by others, after a potentially down week against GB he could be had for pennies on the dollar to an owner ready to bail. If you can pay a small price to get him as a #3 RB or even #4, the upside seems worth the cost.

The Hawks have been on top of the Carolina RB situation for a while.

hawkscreechCoach Otis

Sharks are salivating over the Panthers RB situation. Hawks are avoiding it like the fat chick during square dance week in gym class.

I did a quick count on ARI players in the box on Car run plays- somewhat rushed and I just went through the first half and a few plays into the 3rd Q.

7- both safeties came up pretty hard on the snap

It definitely looked like a- stop the CAR run game and make Cam beat us game plan.

Cam's ability to run is only going to keep defenders closer to the line of scrimmage.
Disagree. Quarterbacks who can run always open up running lanes for RB's. McCoy last year with Vick as QB, Chris Johnson in 2009 with Vince Young as QB. Defender's are a little slower to react to the run action and more likely to stay in their lane longer when you have a QB who can run. It keeps the defense on their heels.
You MAY be right. The difference I see in the two examples above is that McCoy and CJ23 are both 3rd down backs. DeAngelo is 3rd on the depth chart from what I can tell on passing downs (Goodson and J-Stew both seem ahead). That amazing 2009 season CJ23 had, Collins started early in the year and CJ23's rushing numbers were pedestrian and his receiving numbers worse. When VY took over, his rushing numbers took off, but so did his receiving numbers. I hope I'm wrong, but I think his lack of 3rd down work will bring him from a high end RB2 to a mid-tier RB3.

I did a quick count on ARI players in the box on Car run plays- somewhat rushed and I just went through the first half and a few plays into the 3rd Q.987- both safeties came up pretty hard on the snap88888868It definitely looked like a- stop the CAR run game and make Cam beat us game plan.
And they won the game. So the defense worked. Expect to see more of the same until it doesn't. Hence the reason Hawks avoided the Carolina backfield.

Only in the world of FF can a RB go from being unworthy week one because he has a rookie QB to unworthy in week 2 because his QB is too productive. I have to believe there was discussion at Panther HQ this week asking what the heck did we give our $35 million RB so few touches? I agree Deangelo is a good buy low. His QB showed himself to be a threat in week 1, which is the best thing that could have happened for Deangelo, and should force defenses not to crowd the line go forward as long as the wheels don't fall off. I'm humored by the Stewart/Goodson owner input in this thread. If Deangelo remains a 2nd fiddle RB then each and every member of the Panther front office should be fired on the spot for giving him that contract.

Ingram is a far better buy Low.
No, he isn't. As an Ingram owner I can tell you I believe in the kid and wouldn't even consider selling low on him after one game....a game where he had the most carries and got short yardage work. I'd have to guess Ingram owners drafted him because they wanted him pretty bad and none of them are looking to ditch him after one game against the SB champs.Deangelo owners on the other hand are rolling their eyes and saying "here we go again".

No, he isn't. As an Ingram owner I can tell you I believe in the kid and wouldn't even consider selling low on him after one game....a game where he had the most carries and got short yardage work. I'd have to guess Ingram owners drafted him because they wanted him pretty bad and none of them are looking to ditch him after one game against the SB champs.Deangelo owners on the other hand are rolling their eyes and saying "here we go again".
Thanks you just proved my point.The perfect buy-low candidate is someone who did not score well week 1 but will score well the rest of the year (Ingram). It is not someone who did not score well week 1 and will continue to not score well the rest of the year (DWill). Some folks just look at points scored. Not everyone is going to bite on the buy-low offer.Thanks for helping!

When I drafted Williams and Stewart I did so based on the thinking that Cam would eventually open up the running lanes enough that Williams would shine. Obviously I didn't expect him to be great in week 1 and I'm sure things will get worse in the Packers game but I think they'll get things figured out by weeks 3-5. I would expect after this week's game would be the perfect buy low!

Right now most people wouldn't give 2 cents for Dwill, it's amazing what people thing of him after only one week but where else could you get a potential #1 RB who already has a starting job for so cheap??

When I drafted Williams and Stewart I did so based on the thinking that Cam would eventually open up the running lanes enough that Williams would shine. Obviously I didn't expect him to be great in week 1 and I'm sure things will get worse in the Packers game but I think they'll get things figured out by weeks 3-5. I would expect after this week's game would be the perfect buy low! Right now most people wouldn't give 2 cents for Dwill, it's amazing what people thing of him after only one week but where else could you get a potential #1 RB who already has a starting job for so cheap??
Good luck with that. Hope you are not 0-3 when you realize you should have listened to the Hawks!

One week, folks.....we've seen one week. Simmer down now.

All I know from that game is that Cam Newton is better than I thought throwing the ball, Steve Smith still has some juice, and the Panthers will continue to use Stewart and Goodson at times. I consider this all a net positive for DeAngelo. The offense should be better and he will likely stay healthy. Everyone should have drafted Williams with the expectation that Stewart would steal carries and should be pleasantly surprised that there is some kind of a passing threat to keep defenses honest.

When I drafted Williams and Stewart I did so based on the thinking that Cam would eventually open up the running lanes enough that Williams would shine. Obviously I didn't expect him to be great in week 1 and I'm sure things will get worse in the Packers game but I think they'll get things figured out by weeks 3-5. I would expect after this week's game would be the perfect buy low! Right now most people wouldn't give 2 cents for Dwill, it's amazing what people thing of him after only one week but where else could you get a potential #1 RB who already has a starting job for so cheap??
Good luck with that. Hope you are not 0-3 when you realize you should have listened to the Hawks!
I'm 1-0 so no possibility of that... plus I got DWill & JStew so cheap in my auction league that I could afford to also buy Foster, Starks, Ingram, R Bush & B Tate. I've only got to strike oil on a couple of them!

Thanks you just proved my point.The perfect buy-low candidate is someone who did not score well week 1 but will score well the rest of the year (Ingram). It is not someone who did not score well week 1 and will continue to not score well the rest of the year (DWill). Some folks just look at points scored. Not everyone is going to bite on the buy-low offer.

Thanks for helping!
Apparently you do not like anyone second guessing you.Ingram isn't a buy low because no one will be selling. That is my point.

Deangelo owners will be much more willing to sell because of his recent history and situation.

And I'm sure in 2008 there were many who felt the same way about Deangelo 4 weeks into the season as you do...."will continue to not score well the rest of the year (DWill)."

Right now most people wouldn't give 2 cents for Dwill, it's amazing what people thing of him after only one week but where else could you get a potential #1 RB who already has a starting job for so cheap??
It makes no sense to me that people severely undervalue DWill. Like you said, 2 cent offers aren't going to land you DWill, and if you drafted him, he's one spot on the roster. The rest of your team can compensate for the hole. You have to wait it out until he generates his own value and check your options. He can be had at a discount right now, but buyers are being too greedy and are likely to miss out on the buy low. DWill owners know that better days will come. No one is fireselling him.

Thanks you just proved my point.The perfect buy-low candidate is someone who did not score well week 1 but will score well the rest of the year (Ingram). It is not someone who did not score well week 1 and will continue to not score well the rest of the year (DWill). Some folks just look at points scored. Not everyone is going to bite on the buy-low offer.

Thanks for helping!
Apparently you do not like anyone second guessing you.Ingram isn't a buy low because no one will be selling. That is my point.

Deangelo owners will be much more willing to sell because of his recent history and situation.

And I'm sure in 2008 there were many who felt the same way about Deangelo 4 weeks into the season as you do...."will continue to not score well the rest of the year (DWill)."
Second guess away.Not everyone is as savvy as you. Some people open up the website Tuesday morning, find out they lost their opener and see that their stud RB Mark Ingram scored 4 points. They look in their inbox and see a decent offer and they pull the trigger. Problem solved. I call BS on the fact that "no one will be selling". I have already seen Ingram get sold.

Thanks for helping!

Agreed, and well explained. For reference, I own both Ingram and DWill. I'd give you a reasonable discount on DWill, but no discount at all for Ingram. FBG's are all saying hold on to him, he's going to be top 12 by the end of the year. There's a ton more confidence in his role, especially around the goalline. No Ingram owner is going to sell off that upside at a discount.Sorry hawks, ain't happening.

It makes no sense to me that people severely undervalue DWill. Like you said, 2 cent offers aren't going to land you DWill, and if you drafted him, he's one spot on the roster. The rest of your team can compensate for the hole. You have to wait it out until he generates his own value and check your options. He can be had at a discount right now, but buyers are being too greedy and are likely to miss out on the buy low. DWill owners know that better days will come. No one is fireselling him.
I am just glad I avoided all the preseason DWill hype!

congrats!

congrats!

Thanks for helping!

Agreed, and well explained. For reference, I own both Ingram and DWill. I'd give you a reasonable discount on DWill, but no discount at all for Ingram. FBG's are all saying hold on to him, he's going to be top 12 by the end of the year. There's a ton more confidence in his role, especially around the goalline. No Ingram owner is going to sell off that upside at a discount.Sorry hawks, ain't happening.
You should consider coming over to the Hawks! You would not have that DWill headache you got right now. Instead you would be beating off all those Shark offers for Reggie Bush. And loving the fact that the Sharks laughed at you when you drafted him because they said Thomas was the back to own in Miami. RoFLMAO.

Thanks for helping!

Second guess away.Not everyone is as savvy as you. Some people open up the website Tuesday morning, find out they lost their opener and see that their stud RB Mark Ingram scored 4 points. They look in their inbox and see a decent offer and they pull the trigger. Problem solved. I call BS on the fact that "no one will be selling". I have already seen Ingram get sold.
I choose to be in a league with other savvy owners. If Ingram has been sold after 1 week I don't think those are the most competitive leagues to be in.

No, he isn't. As an Ingram owner I can tell you I believe in the kid and wouldn't even consider selling low on him after one game....a game where he had the most carries and got short yardage work. I'd have to guess Ingram owners drafted him because they wanted him pretty bad and none of them are looking to ditch him after one game against the SB champs.

Deangelo owners on the other hand are rolling their eyes and saying "here we go again".

Thanks for helping!

You should consider coming over to the Hawks! You would not have that DWill headache you got right now. Instead you would be beating off all those Shark offers for Reggie Bush. And loving the fact that the Sharks laughed at you when you drafted him because they said Thomas was the back to own in Miami. RoFLMAO.
Forget Hawks and Sharks, I want to be a honey badger.

After one week? Sure. Backpatting is more legitimate later in the year.

Thanks for helping!

I choose to be in a league with other savvy owners. If Ingram has been sold after 1 week I don't think those are the most competitive leagues to be in.
A lot trades happen in the first couple weeks of the season. You would be surprised. Good luck with DWill this year!

Actually yes. After 1 week, it looks pretty likely he won't live up to his ADP. Things can change though. But the point is, I don't think he is a good buy-low candidate.

Actually yes. After 1 week, it looks pretty likely he won't live up to his ADP. Things can change though. But the point is, I don't think he is a good buy-low candidate.
What do you feel his ADP was? He went in the mid-4th round of my redraft league. I don't know how one could predict he won't live up to RB16-20 stats after one bad week, but I guess agree to disagree.

What do you feel his ADP was? He went in the mid-4th round of my redraft league. I don't know how one could predict he won't live up to RB16-20 stats after one bad week, but I guess agree to disagree.
Isn't that the point of this exercise. We sift through the RB's who performed well below their ADP and try to determine who are more likely to bounce back and who are not. I think Ingram is a much better buy low than DWill. You can feel free to disagree. Thats fine. Good luck with DWill this year!

In Buy Low candidates I'm looking for guys that have beaten down value but high-upside.Deangelo's value will likely be further beaten down after playing the Packers, but his upside is capped by the presence of both Stewart and now Cam. Even though Fox is gone, this is starting out as a repeat of the 2009 season, where both DWill/Stew had good overall seasons but it was a crapshoot any given week who would score the most fantasy points.Even though Williams will likely get more carries this season, I'll let someone else watch Deangelo rip off a 25-yarder to the 2-yard line only to have Cam or JStew finish it off.
:goodposting: I thought the same thing and in the only league I own him this year (dynasty), I had an owner who had extra WR and needed a RB and thought DWill will turn it around, so I traded him for Reggie Wayne. I know Wayne is not as good a keeper but I need the WR help now and if it doesn't help enough but Wayne is productive (and I believe he is the Colt receiver most likely to produce this year) then I can flip him to a contender later this year for a young player with potential or a draft pick for 2012.

In Buy Low candidates I'm looking for guys that have beaten down value but high-upside.Deangelo's value will likely be further beaten down after playing the Packers, but his upside is capped by the presence of both Stewart and now Cam. Even though Fox is gone, this is starting out as a repeat of the 2009 season, where both DWill/Stew had good overall seasons but it was a crapshoot any given week who would score the most fantasy points.Even though Williams will likely get more carries this season, I'll let someone else watch Deangelo rip off a 25-yarder to the 2-yard line only to have Cam or JStew finish it off.
:goodposting: I thought the same thing and in the only league I own him this year (dynasty), I had an owner who had extra WR and needed a RB and thought DWill will turn it around, so I traded him for Reggie Wayne. I know Wayne is not as good a keeper but I need the WR help now and if it doesn't help enough but Wayne is productive (and I believe he is the Colt receiver most likely to produce this year) then I can flip him to a contender later this year for a young player with potential or a draft pick for 2012.
Bad trade, IMO.

He'll be a better buy low after this week if Carolina struggles on Sunday. There are a lot of DeAngelo owners dreading having him in their lineup against the Pack, and if he puts up another dud you'll be able to get him for dirt cheap.

It's only a matter of time before Williams starts ripping off big runs.

Users who are viewing this thread