What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Deangelo Williams a perfect buy-low? (1 Viewer)

Right now most people wouldn't give 2 cents for Dwill, it's amazing what people thing of him after only one week but where else could you get a potential #1 RB who already has a starting job for so cheap??
It makes no sense to me that people severely undervalue DWill. Like you said, 2 cent offers aren't going to land you DWill, and if you drafted him, he's one spot on the roster. The rest of your team can compensate for the hole. You have to wait it out until he generates his own value and check your options. He can be had at a discount right now, but buyers are being too greedy and are likely to miss out on the buy low. DWill owners know that better days will come. No one is fireselling him.
I am just glad I avoided all the preseason DWill hype!
After one week? Sure. Backpatting is more legitimate later in the year.
Actually yes. After 1 week, it looks pretty likely he won't live up to his ADP. Things can change though. But the point is, I don't think he is a good buy-low candidate.
What do you feel his ADP was? He went in the mid-4th round of my redraft league. I don't know how one could predict he won't live up to RB16-20 stats after one bad week, but I guess agree to disagree.
Isn't that the point of this exercise. We sift through the RB's who performed well below their ADP and try to determine who are more likely to bounce back and who are not. I think Ingram is a much better buy low than DWill. You can feel free to disagree. Thats fine. Good luck with DWill this year!
That wasn't my question. You said DWill "won't live up to his ADP", and I asked what you believe his ADP is because that's a curious week 1 prediction for a player already carrying such meager expectation. You even referred to "DWill hype" which made me chuckle. At FBG's, his ADP was RB17 (4th round). Sportsline he was ranked even lower at RB21. The question in this thread is can you offer something less than *those* ADP (low value) yet have him perform to RB17-RB21 (still modest production expectations). Sounds like you think not, so be it. Thanks for your best wishes, but I don't own DWill in my redraft.

I still don't buy that the Panthers paid DeAngelo that much money not to use him. And I also don't think that any future opponents dare Cam Newton to throw on them. The Cardinals oversold on the run and figured Cam didn't have the mettle to make the game competitive. They were wrong. But the sacrificial lamb was DeAngelo.

Potential positives:

• Unless Newton's game one is seen as an aberration, the defense will not continue to sell out on the run and DeAngelo will finally get some decent holes to work with.

• He's still in his prime, healthy, and a balanced offense helps him find running lanes.

• He's usually a slow starter, and he's likely to kick it into high gear after his bye week.

Potential negatives:

• The uncertainty of Cam Newton's effect, particularly at the goal line.

• The potential 3 way time share of running duties with Jonathan Stewart and Newton.

• The schedule that dictates that any and all Carolina RB’s are a matchup play from here on in.

Is he a buy low? Certainly. I'd sell him cheap if I could. What I mean by cheap is I'd give him to you for a round to two discount. So I drafted him at 4.04. I'd let him go for select players up to oh, about 6.06. (The THT's and Reggie Bush's, Santana Moss's, or maybe even AJ Green). One exception is that I’d let him go for Starks, drafted in the 10th round. That to me is selling low. I am not going to give him up for less than that. To be brutally honest, I think any DeAngelo owner is kicking himself for making that pick.
:goodposting:

There's your reason for Cam's big game and the horrific ground game from the Panther's RB's.

• Unless Newton's game one is seen as an aberration, the defense will not continue to sell out on the run and DeAngelo will finally get some decent holes to work with.
But can they be in games enough to warrant running the football? Panthers D is terrible. Remember the schedule too,they have just 4 games the rest of the year NOT against NO, Atl, TB, Chi, Det, Hou.

I will probably bench him for Mcgahee this weekend (if moreno looks out). I mostly expect a subpar game, but I do not have as dire an outlook as some of you. GB can stop the run, but last week NO didn't really even try to run the ball. Hopefully things don't get so bad that D-Will loses playing time in the future because I expect to hold onto him and get upper-end RB2 #s from my RB3.

Right now most people wouldn't give 2 cents for Dwill, it's amazing what people thing of him after only one week but where else could you get a potential #1 RB who already has a starting job for so cheap??
It makes no sense to me that people severely undervalue DWill. Like you said, 2 cent offers aren't going to land you DWill, and if you drafted him, he's one spot on the roster. The rest of your team can compensate for the hole. You have to wait it out until he generates his own value and check your options. He can be had at a discount right now, but buyers are being too greedy and are likely to miss out on the buy low. DWill owners know that better days will come. No one is fireselling him.
Actually yes. After 1 week, it looks pretty likely he won't live up to his ADP. Things can change though. But the point is, I don't think he is a good buy-low candidate.
What do you feel his ADP was? He went in the mid-4th round of my redraft league. I don't know how one could predict he won't live up to RB16-20 stats after one bad week, but I guess agree to disagree.
Isn't that the point of this exercise. We sift through the RB's who performed well below their ADP and try to determine who are more likely to bounce back and who are not. I think Ingram is a much better buy low than DWill. You can feel free to disagree. Thats fine. Good luck with DWill this year!
That wasn't my question. You said DWill "won't live up to his ADP", and I asked what you believe his ADP is because that's a curious week 1 prediction for a player already carrying such meager expectation. You even referred to "DWill hype" which made me chuckle. At FBG's, his ADP was RB17 (4th round). Sportsline he was ranked even lower at RB21. The question in this thread is can you offer something less than *those* ADP (low value) yet have him perform to RB17-RB21 (still modest production expectations). Sounds like you think not, so be it. Thanks for your best wishes, but I don't own DWill in my redraft.
RB17 is high end RB2. A guy you start every week without question. His first week production (RB40-55) depending on the scoring system. Buy low candidate? No. Better buy low candidate? Mark Ingram. And there was a lot of message board hype and projection hype. He was one of the backs moving up the charts as we got closer to the season.

He'll be a better buy low after this week if Carolina struggles on Sunday. There are a lot of DeAngelo owners dreading having him in their lineup against the Pack, and if he puts up another dud you'll be able to get him for dirt cheap.It's only a matter of time before Williams starts ripping off big runs.
:thumbup: I agree. Price should lower after this week, but I don't think I'd still want to buy him.

RB17 is high end RB2. A guy you start every week without question. His first week production (RB40-55) depending on the scoring system. Buy low candidate? No. Better buy low candidate? Mark Ingram. And there was a lot of message board hype and projection hype. He was one of the backs moving up the charts as we got closer to the season.
Fair enough. Your memory varies from mine on hype. I thought he was hyped in June/July when thought to be headed for a new team via FA (Denver, Miami). Once he resigned with Carolina, I thought he nosedived from there. But it's neither here nor there. I think he's an ok buy low if you can truly get him low, as I think week 1 was devastating to his perceived value and I expect him to produce beyond whatever value he's traded for today. I agree with others you aren't getting Ingram low in most leagues. Everyone in the world saw him get primary RB carries on national TV, including a crucial GL attempt. I don;t see how anyone could be disappointed in that. If you can get him, great, I agree he's not a bad target if you can.

'emge said:
He'll be a better buy low after this week if Carolina struggles on Sunday. There are a lot of DeAngelo owners dreading having him in their lineup against the Pack, and if he puts up another dud you'll be able to get him for dirt cheap.It's only a matter of time before Williams starts ripping off big runs.
:thumbup: I agree. Price should lower after this week, but I don't think I'd still want to buy him.
DeAngelo Williams is an extremely talented running back. He's proven that on the field. Now that Carolina and Cam Newton have shown the rest of the NFL that they aren't planning on being a one dimensional offense it's likely DeAngelo will be able to find some holes. The Panthers' offense line is still one of the league's best, Steve Smith can obviously still play, and Cam Newton must be accounted for. All signs are pointing toward a resurgence for Williams. If he indeed does have a poor game against the defending Super Bowl champs it would be extremely smart to acquire him where you can.

'emge said:
DeAngelo Williams is an extremely talented running back. He's proven that on the field. Now that Carolina and Cam Newton have shown the rest of the NFL that they aren't planning on being a one dimensional offense it's likely DeAngelo will be able to find some holes. The Panthers' offense line is still one of the league's best, Steve Smith can obviously still play, and Cam Newton must be accounted for. All signs are pointing toward a resurgence for Williams. If he indeed does have a poor game against the defending Super Bowl champs it would be extremely smart to acquire him where you can.
I agree that carolina has a strong o-line. However, Otah is out this week i believe which may contribute to a lesser performance this week. I think weeks one and two may be dwill's worst weeks for this reason (last week D selling out against run and this week banged up o-line against a top D). Im considering mcgahee over him this week as my rb3 but i think barring injury this will be the last time he's considered for my bench other than bye week.

Last edited by a moderator:
'emge said:
I agree that carolina has a strong o-line. However, Otah is out this week i believe which may contribute to a lesser performance this week. I think weeks one and two may be dwill's worst weeks for this reason (last week D selling out against run and this week banged up o-line against a top D). Im considering mcgahee over him this week as my rb3 but i think barring injury this will be the last time he's considered for my bench other than bye week.
DWill does not catch a ton of passes; Newton is going to steal a good chunk of his short TD's. Thats why DWill will underperform. Buy low if you want. Or wait a couple weeks and buy lower. But I think there are better places to go to solve your RB problem.

I think the key here is that if you have some depth already he might be a really cheap lottery ticket after this weeks game. If you don't have much depth or adequate RBs I wouldn't hinge my season on his production.

Perfect buy low candidate.

Everyone's all concerned about Stewart carving into his carries. Big deal. There are only a handful of RBs left who get 25 touches/game, and DW just happens to be one of the many RBs out there caught in a timeshare. But, it's not like he lost a step or doesn't know how to run the ball. Carolina signed him to a hefty contract, and some games are going to be duds. Just a simple fact of FF life.

Lesson should always be:

1. Never get too reactionary over a bad game or two. Think big picture.

2. Exploit those who have the attention span of a gnat.

Buy DW now or after this week. Remember, too, it's not like Jonathan Stewart has been a model of health throughout his career. DW's price won't be any lower as we go through the season, and he still represents tremendous up-side.

Perfect buy low candidate. Everyone's all concerned about Stewart carving into his carries. Big deal. There are only a handful of RBs left who get 25 touches/game, and DW just happens to be one of the many RBs out there caught in a timeshare. But, it's not like he lost a step or doesn't know how to run the ball. Carolina signed him to a hefty contract, and some games are going to be duds. Just a simple fact of FF life.Lesson should always be:1. Never get too reactionary over a bad game or two. Think big picture.2. Exploit those who have the attention span of a gnat.Buy DW now or after this week. Remember, too, it's not like Jonathan Stewart has been a model of health throughout his career. DW's price won't be any lower as we go through the season, and he still represents tremendous up-side.
I dont know I am more concerned about DWill Himself, and the evolution of the offense to pass heavy. Your right Stewart doesnt bother me in the least all though he did almost the same week 1 production with less carries. I read from multiple sources that DWill doesnt look like he is as explosive as we are used to. Granted the holes arnt as big, but he didnt hit them as great either. The timeshare factor is more of with Cam Newton at the GL if you ask me though. Dont even think I can get Hightower or Welker for him at this point!

Perfect buy low candidate. Everyone's all concerned about Stewart carving into his carries. Big deal. There are only a handful of RBs left who get 25 touches/game, and DW just happens to be one of the many RBs out there caught in a timeshare. But, it's not like he lost a step or doesn't know how to run the ball. Carolina signed him to a hefty contract, and some games are going to be duds. Just a simple fact of FF life.Lesson should always be:1. Never get too reactionary over a bad game or two. Think big picture.2. Exploit those who have the attention span of a gnat.Buy DW now or after this week. Remember, too, it's not like Jonathan Stewart has been a model of health throughout his career. DW's price won't be any lower as we go through the season, and he still represents tremendous up-side.
I dont know I am more concerned about DWill Himself, and the evolution of the offense to pass heavy. Your right Stewart doesnt bother me in the least all though he did almost the same week 1 production with less carries. I read from multiple sources that DWill doesnt look like he is as explosive as we are used to. Granted the holes arnt as big, but he didnt hit them as great either. The timeshare factor is more of with Cam Newton at the GL if you ask me though. Dont even think I can get Hightower or Welker for him at this point!
Wait. Leaving aside the anomaly of his 2008 season, he's only scored two other times from inside the 3 in his career. If you were counting on him to be a threat at the goal-line, I think you were expecting the unreasonable to occur.Guys who have a bad game aren't going to look explosive. I saw the O-Line cave in half the time he carried the ball. He simply had no room to run, because they were firing everybody at the line, leaving open those huge bombs for Cam to throw. Things will settle down and he'll be fine. It's one game. He's 28. He still should have plenty left in the tank and will be just fine.

Hope so cause I cant sell him to anybody unless its another timeshare back. I will hold and hope, but I expect another bad week 2 should I start Ingram over him at for week 2?

This turd is stinking up my bench. Week 3 vs Jax will tell the story. If he can't get going next week vs Jax, he's worthless.

with Newton getting all the goal line TDs, I hate to say it but this elite talent doesn't appear to be start worthy. I was offered D-Will and Mike Williams Seahawks for Darius Moore and Santana Moss and couldn't hit reject fast enough.

with Newton getting all the goal line TDs, I hate to say it but this elite talent doesn't appear to be start worthy. I was offered D-Will and Mike Williams Seahawks for Darius Moore and Santana Moss and couldn't hit reject fast enough.
I'd reject that too. I'd gladly trade DWill for Moore straight up, if I didn't already own Moore. :bag:

IIRC even in his best years DWill started really slowly.

Now I know with Cam things have changed, but the book isn't closed on DWill this year IMO. I'd buy low enough right now (Charles just went out for me).

i dont own dwill and i think hes basically worthless. take whatever you can for him. does that mean he wont have a good game or two occassion? no. but will he be in your lineup then? doubt it. heres the facts. he has two goal line vultures ahead of him, he doesnt play on 3rd downs (goodson does and even stewart had 100 yds receiving), he plays on a bad team meaning alot of passing, what is there possibly to like? i think hes a flex, bench guy at best. i was thinking about offering ingram for him but dont even think id do that. at least with ingram if thomas gets hurt could be a stud

Oof..I was really high on DeAngelo this offseason. Considering Newton has looked much better than expected, Im amazed he hasnt had at least modest numbers. Got him in my 2 money leagues, and at this point I would sell him pretty cheaply, preferrably for another 2-week bust that I still have hopes for. That said, I dont think Id be able to get anything in return that I would actually want, so in that sense, I will probably just hold and hope for the best. If Newton is putting up 300+ yards almost every week, I still dont see how D-Will doesnt put up at least flex worthy numbers.

I'll have him in vs. Jax (2 flexes) in all liklihood. If he poops the bed again vs them, he's on the bench until he shows me something.

Ingram is a far better buy Low.
No, he isn't. As an Ingram owner I can tell you I believe in the kid and wouldn't even consider selling low on him after one game....a game where he had the most carries and got short yardage work. I'd have to guess Ingram owners drafted him because they wanted him pretty bad and none of them are looking to ditch him after one game against the SB champs.Deangelo owners on the other hand are rolling their eyes and saying "here we go again".
Thanks you just proved my point.The perfect buy-low candidate is someone who did not score well week 1 but will score well the rest of the year (Ingram). It is not someone who did not score well week 1 and will continue to not score well the rest of the year (DWill). Some folks just look at points scored. Not everyone is going to bite on the buy-low offer.

Thanks for helping!
Apparently you do not like anyone second guessing you.Ingram isn't a buy low because no one will be selling. That is my point.

Deangelo owners will be much more willing to sell because of his recent history and situation.

And I'm sure in 2008 there were many who felt the same way about Deangelo 4 weeks into the season as you do...."will continue to not score well the rest of the year (DWill)."
Agreed, and well explained. For reference, I own both Ingram and DWill. I'd give you a reasonable discount on DWill, but no discount at all for Ingram. FBG's are all saying hold on to him, he's going to be top 12 by the end of the year. There's a ton more confidence in his role, especially around the goalline. No Ingram owner is going to sell off that upside at a discount.Sorry hawks, ain't happening.
You should consider coming over to the Hawks! You would not have that DWill headache you got right now. Instead you would be beating off all those Shark offers for Reggie Bush. And loving the fact that the Sharks laughed at you when you drafted him because they said Thomas was the back to own in Miami. RoFLMAO.
For someone so down on DWill, youve sure spent a lot of time in this thread, hawk.Let me know what the sharks are offering this week for Bush after Thomas outrushed him today by 89yds and averaged 5.9 YPC to Bush's 3YPC.

I probably wouldnt trade DWill for Bush straight up right now.

Oof..I was really high on DeAngelo this offseason. Considering Newton has looked much better than expected, Im amazed he hasnt had at least modest numbers. Got him in my 2 money leagues, and at this point I would sell him pretty cheaply, preferrably for another 2-week bust that I still have hopes for. That said, I dont think Id be able to get anything in return that I would actually want, so in that sense, I will probably just hold and hope for the best. If Newton is putting up 300+ yards almost every week, I still dont see how D-Will doesnt put up at least flex worthy numbers. I'll have him in vs. Jax (2 flexes) in all liklihood. If he poops the bed again vs them, he's on the bench until he shows me something.
Newton has 400+ and 300+ and DWIL has ~5 points each week. I'd say don't throw good money after bad in your money leagues. I think someone above pretty much hit it on the head: he will have a couple of good games here and there, it will be totally situational, and most of us won't have him in the lineup when it happens.I have him and JSTEW in a league and just threw my hands up this week and put them both in. I really don't know what to do.

Oof..I was really high on DeAngelo this offseason. Considering Newton has looked much better than expected, Im amazed he hasnt had at least modest numbers. Got him in my 2 money leagues, and at this point I would sell him pretty cheaply, preferrably for another 2-week bust that I still have hopes for. That said, I dont think Id be able to get anything in return that I would actually want, so in that sense, I will probably just hold and hope for the best. If Newton is putting up 300+ yards almost every week, I still dont see how D-Will doesnt put up at least flex worthy numbers. I'll have him in vs. Jax (2 flexes) in all liklihood. If he poops the bed again vs them, he's on the bench until he shows me something.
Newton has 400+ and 300+ and DWIL has ~5 points each week. I'd say don't throw good money after bad in your money leagues. I think someone above pretty much hit it on the head: he will have a couple of good games here and there, it will be totally situational, and most of us won't have him in the lineup when it happens.I have him and JSTEW in a league and just threw my hands up this week and put them both in. I really don't know what to do.
Actually Newton has 420+ in his first 2 games, and he went up a great D this week. If he can do that vs. GB, not just him, but the offense as a whole should have more success. I dont see why teams will continue to put 8 in the box if Newton is shredding them.As stated earlier, generally QBs that can run open up more lanes for the RBs than otherwise. Newton ran considerably more effective tonight than last week, against a better D. I dont like how he'll steal TDs from DWill, but Im past the point of worrying about that. Id be lying if I wasnt pessimistic on DWill's outlook right now, but I think there are a handful of reasons to see him still have a solid year.

I'm getting to think that DWill's value would mprove if Cam got injured and it goes back to Clausen. I know it's kind of sick, and I don't wish injuyr on anyone but....

Actually Newton has 420+ in his first 2 games, and he went up a great D this week. If he can do that vs. GB, not just him, but the offense as a whole should have more success. I dont see why teams will continue to put 8 in the box if Newton is shredding them.As stated earlier, generally QBs that can run open up more lanes for the RBs than otherwise. Newton ran considerably more effective tonight than last week, against a better D. I dont like how he'll steal TDs from DWill, but Im past the point of worrying about that. Id be lying if I wasnt pessimistic on DWill's outlook right now, but I think there are a handful of reasons to see him still have a solid year.
he doesnt catch passes and he doesnt score tds. so in your perfect world best case scenario above his upside is 1000 yds rushing, 5 td and a handful of receptions

Ugh, I wish I could find someone to sell this dud to. Seems like another year of him not getting enough touches to be a starter.

The lack of rush attempts today was insane. I can recall few games "historically" where an OC called less than today's ELEVEN rush attempts! Sooner or later the coaching staff will stop patting themselves on the back for being "in" games and actually try to win one.

Cam is exciting and fun to watch, but if he continues to lead the team in rushing then he won't be playing much longer.

The lack of rush attempts today was insane. I can recall few games "historically" where an OC called less than today's ELEVEN rush attempts! Sooner or later the coaching staff will stop patting themselves on the back for being "in" games and actually try to win one.Cam is exciting and fun to watch, but if he continues to lead the team in rushing then he won't be playing much longer.
It looks like yet another Panthers coach that can't figure out they are a running team.

At this point in the season, he's not worth trading away. You're not going to get much for him and he has a history of being a slow starter. I was real high on him.....but he's my 3rd RB.....so I'm not dying. I just hope that A) the Panthers make a push to involve their RB's in their ground game a bit more and B) opponents wise up to Newton and maybe try to neutralize him a bit.

His production isn't what's alarming me. It's his lack of use, especially in "crunch" time week 1. I'm trying to dispel the thought of how ludicrous it is to spend that kind of $$ on a player & not have him on the field more. Just need to remind myself the contract is simply irrelevant in this case. If nothing else, I have Jonathan Stewart's handcuff on my roster! Hahahaha....yeah, not so much :thumbdown:

Gang, this is Cam Newton's team and will be for a long time. DWill is going to be worthless until/unless the DEF significantly improves so that they can play ball control. From what I've seen they are going to give up a ton of points this year, making them pass to score.

DWill is a straight up drop. Better off playing a lottery ticket like Demarco Murray, Taiwan Jones, Helu, etc.

Gang, this is Cam Newton's team and will be for a long time. DWill is going to be worthless until/unless the DEF significantly improves so that they can play ball control. From what I've seen they are going to give up a ton of points this year, making them pass to score.DWill is a straight up drop. Better off playing a lottery ticket like Demarco Murray, Taiwan Jones, Helu, etc.
I wouldn't drop him, but he's no better than a RB3 right now with little perceived upside. I still don't know why CAR paid him that kind of money....they could have used it to get some guys on.....say defense.

'Slapdash said:
Ugh, I wish I could find someone to sell this dud to. Seems like another year of him not getting enough touches to be a starter.
Exactly. Perfect buy low. What would you be willing to sell him for?Carolina is 0-2. The coaching staff will soon realize their best chance to win is to keep the defense off the field by utilizing their best offensive player. This team needs balance in the worst way.

It starts this week. DeAngelo will have 20 touches, 100+ total yards, and a score against Jacksonville.

'Slapdash said:
Exactly. Perfect buy low. What would you be willing to sell him for?Carolina is 0-2. The coaching staff will soon realize their best chance to win is to keep the defense off the field by utilizing their best offensive player. This team needs balance in the worst way.

It starts this week. DeAngelo will have 20 touches, 100+ total yards, and a score against Jacksonville.
they have been... Cam Newton & Steve Smith

Users who are viewing this thread