What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Deangelo Williams a perfect buy-low? (1 Viewer)

Still a believer.

People are way too impatient. Teams are stacking the box against a rookie QB and daring him to beat them in the air.

The guy hasn't lost it talent wise, teams are just game planning to stop the run and Carolina is getting behind early.

Defenses will adjust knowing they have to give Newton his respect..

then Dwill will go on a tear where he will have a 5-6 Td's and 300-400 yards in 3 games and people will remember how good he is.

'Slapdash said:
Ugh, I wish I could find someone to sell this dud to. Seems like another year of him not getting enough touches to be a starter.
Exactly. Perfect buy low. What would you be willing to sell him for?Carolina is 0-2. The coaching staff will soon realize their best chance to win is to keep the defense off the field by utilizing their best offensive player. This team needs balance in the worst way.

It starts this week. DeAngelo will have 20 touches, 100+ total yards, and a score against Jacksonville.
I would take anything for him at this point. I've had him on my team for the last 5 years and, with a season and a half exception, he has been consistently under-utilized by the coaching staff. It was the same deal last year until he got hurt. This new coaching staff seems to be using the same heavily tilted towards passing game plan the old one did. The only reason to buy low is if you think he will be traded.

What a waste of talent.

Oof..I was really high on DeAngelo this offseason. Considering Newton has looked much better than expected, Im amazed he hasnt had at least modest numbers. Got him in my 2 money leagues, and at this point I would sell him pretty cheaply, preferrably for another 2-week bust that I still have hopes for. That said, I dont think Id be able to get anything in return that I would actually want, so in that sense, I will probably just hold and hope for the best. If Newton is putting up 300+ yards almost every week, I still dont see how D-Will doesnt put up at least flex worthy numbers. I'll have him in vs. Jax (2 flexes) in all liklihood. If he poops the bed again vs them, he's on the bench until he shows me something.
Newton has 400+ and 300+ and DWIL has ~5 points each week. I'd say don't throw good money after bad in your money leagues. I think someone above pretty much hit it on the head: he will have a couple of good games here and there, it will be totally situational, and most of us won't have him in the lineup when it happens.I have him and JSTEW in a league and just threw my hands up this week and put them both in. I really don't know what to do.
Actually Newton has 420+ in his first 2 games, and he went up a great D this week. If he can do that vs. GB, not just him, but the offense as a whole should have more success. I dont see why teams will continue to put 8 in the box if Newton is shredding them.As stated earlier, generally QBs that can run open up more lanes for the RBs than otherwise. Newton ran considerably more effective tonight than last week, against a better D. I dont like how he'll steal TDs from DWill, but Im past the point of worrying about that. Id be lying if I wasnt pessimistic on DWill's outlook right now, but I think there are a handful of reasons to see him still have a solid year.
Carolina is 0-2. So I suspect the copycat NFL might not mind Newton getting his at the expense of the running game. And as the season progresses and defenses get more game film on him, he might become less affective.Both backs appeared to struggle yesterday getting anything going on the ground. Stewart had some nice receiving yardage, but that kinda look flukey too. I'm at a loss as to why the blocking is as poor as it is. Surely Otah alone isn't the reason.

Can't see a reason to drop him for any reason than spite. He didn't start for me this week, so I can't blame him for being 0-2. But picking Deangelo Williams is what I imagine purgatory must be like wishing I had asked forgiveness of sin one last time before I died.

Well the good news is all those folks who thought DWill was such a great buy-low can buy him lower this week!

I think I'll offer up Nate Burleson and see what happens. Burleson won't start for me anyway...sans injuries...knock on wood.

His value is likely at the point where there is no reason to sell him. For what some people have mentioned in here, there is also very little risk in picking him up at the prices I've seen.

'joffer said:
why the hell did they pay this guy?
:goodposting:
They didn't expect Newton to be this good this fast.
They aren't winning though. I can't see the Panthers' coaching staff continuing to think it's a good idea to give DeAngelo Williams single digit carries. It doesn't make any sense.
Williams is averaging 2.5 YPC. It doesn't make sense to give him more carries. They just had the first pick in the draft - Panthers will be more interested in giving Newton an opportunity to develop this year.

Still a believer. People are way too impatient. Teams are stacking the box against a rookie QB and daring him to beat them in the air.The guy hasn't lost it talent wise, teams are just game planning to stop the run and Carolina is getting behind early.Defenses will adjust knowing they have to give Newton his respect.. then Dwill will go on a tear where he will have a 5-6 Td's and 300-400 yards in 3 games and people will remember how good he is.
That explains everything except why JSTEW was involved in at least the passing aspect of the game yesterday and DWIL wasn't. I don't see a big change coming on. Like someone mentioned above, the REAL life results are that the Panthers are 0-2 and opposing teams are ok with that. They will let Newton chuck that ball all day long and pile up fantasy stats if it results in rookie mistakes and Carolina losses. The NFL is a QB driven league and with a rookie QB and rookie Coach, I actually think the Panthers are OK to let Newton get out there and grow and learn this year. Of course they want to win but if they think they have a true franchise QB, there is no better time to get these growing pains out of the way because a new coach with a new QB can get a kitchen pass THIS YEAR. On the other hand, if they came out and tried to play it close to the vest and did nothing but hand off 30 times a game, then, to be honest, that's not a lot different from what got John Fox fired. Panther fans have had their fill of 27-14 losses and ho hum offense. I think people need to realize that is not a good fantasy recipe for RBs in Carolina.

I think I'll offer up Nate Burleson and see what happens. Burleson won't start for me anyway...sans injuries...knock on wood.
Wish I was in your league. I'd take me 2 seconds to hit the accept button.
As a DeAngelo owner, I'd decline that offer. But then again, I'm stacked at WR and would never start Burleson.
I like my WR's too. But I can start as many as 4 WR's, and there have been so many groin issues, (maybe because of the lockout and shortened preseason) that I'd take my chances on a surplus of talent at one position than a glut of mediocre guys at another. My RB's in that upside down league were in order: DWill, Ingram, R. Bush :X At least my RB4 was Fred Jackson. One out of 4 ain't bad, right? :cry:

Well the good news is all those folks who thought DWill was such a great buy-low can buy him lower this week!
Yep, We can sell him to the hawks for Reggie Bush. :thumbup:
Pretty sure1. You selected DWill with an earlier pick than the Hawks selected Bush.2. Bush has outperformed DWill by a significant margin in PPR leagues YTD.3. Bush has significant more upside than DWill in PPR leagues.You have fun wasting a roster spot to hang on to DWill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina is getting behind early.
They were up 13-0 to start the game with the Packers. And they didn't get down by more than 10 until late in the 4th quarter.They were up, tied, or down by 7 the entire game with the Cards.This coaching staff is showing zero commitment to the run. They are committed to slinging it out of the shotgun with their rookie QB. Run-Pass ratio thru 2 games: 48-83. And that's counting 18 Newton runs as runs, quite a few of those were broken pass play scrambles, I'm sure.Also noticed DeAngelo doesn't see the field inside the 10. It's all Stewart, Newton, and occasionally Goodson there. It's ridiculous, but not good for DW.

Carolina is getting behind early.
They were up 13-0 to start the game with the Packers. And they didn't get down by more than 10 until late in the 4th quarter.They were up, tied, or down by 7 the entire game with the Cards.This coaching staff is showing zero commitment to the run. They are committed to slinging it out of the shotgun with their rookie QB. Run-Pass ratio thru 2 games: 48-83. And that's counting 18 Newton runs as runs, quite a few of those were broken pass play scrambles, I'm sure.Also noticed DeAngelo doesn't see the field inside the 10. It's all Stewart, Newton, and occasionally Goodson there. It's ridiculous, but not good for DW.
Still is mind boggling that they committed so much money too him and are not really using him. He is not startable for Fantasy purposes.

'joffer said:
They aren't winning though. I can't see the Panthers' coaching staff continuing to think it's a good idea to give DeAngelo Williams single digit carries. It doesn't make any sense.
You're sounding like John Fox. 3rd down draws are great for fantasy stats, but points on the board win games.That said, I believe Williams will bounce back.

I'm trying to get another owner to "toss in" DeAngelo in an otherwise fair deal for Finley. I think this is the strategy to get him. No one in their right mind will do a DeAngelo for your #5 WR straight up trade.

'joffer said:
You're sounding like John Fox. 3rd down draws are great for fantasy stats, but points on the board win games.That said, I believe Williams will bounce back.
DeAngelo owners miss him. :sad:

I'm trying to get another owner to "toss in" DeAngelo in an otherwise fair deal for Finley. I think this is the strategy to get him. No one in their right mind will do a DeAngelo for your #5 WR straight up trade.
You kill me gonzobill5. Finley was the guy I passed on with the very next pick in my draft. :wall:

'cvnpoka said:
deangelo 42 to stewart 30
Thanks. I'd be fine with 30-35 snaps for each of them as long as they are getting 14-15 rushes per game each. Their current rush rate % is unsustainable.

McCluster will probably outperform him from this point forward in a PPR. How silly is that.

He is unstartable and barely rosterable in redraft (unless you have a really big roster). That is just crazy.

McCluster will probably outperform him from this point forward in a PPR. How silly is that.
Possibly, as KC will be trailing so much. He could pull a mini-Sproles for them.
He is unstartable and barely rosterable in redraft (unless you have a really big roster). That is just crazy.
Absolutely silly to drop him unless you are in a super-short bench league.

Possibly, as KC will be trailing so much. He could pull a mini-Sproles for them.
I don't know about that last comment. Roster 14-15 and start 8-9. You start getting into off weeks and dealing with injuries and that bench spot becomes pretty expensive to be occupied by a guy you really don't want to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about that last comment. Roster 14-15 and start 8-9. You start getting into off weeks and dealing with injuries and that bench spot becomes pretty expensive to be occupied by a guy you really don't want to start.
Perhaps your mileage may vary, but I consider leagues with 14-15 roster spots as very short. I don't plan to guess who is on the wire in those leagues, as I haven't played in one in 10 years.

'rascal said:
'cvnpoka said:
stewart 49 plays to deangelos 26. writings on the wall.
link?
I live in CAR and saw the whole game.....that ratio seems correct.
Watched the game here... invested heavily in DWill this year (decent value but its not like I got him in the 10th, either). As noted, when they shelled out all that cash it sure looked as if DWill would be the man. He has a great skill set (although I have not seen it in his limited action this year) and with opportunity you'd think he would flourish.To be honest, Im shuked here - right now J Stew looks like the better play, especially as he seems in more often when they go pass heavy which seems to be the trend. But are either worth much? To my comment about DWill not looking great - he is too young (Id think) to be slowing down... is something nagging him? You dont see the burst, the speed, the decisiveness and I wonder what the real deal is regarding that.

'rascal said:
'cvnpoka said:
stewart 49 plays to deangelos 26. writings on the wall.
link?
I live in CAR and saw the whole game.....that ratio seems correct.
Watched the game here... invested heavily in DWill this year (decent value but its not like I got him in the 10th, either). As noted, when they shelled out all that cash it sure looked as if DWill would be the man. He has a great skill set (although I have not seen it in his limited action this year) and with opportunity you'd think he would flourish.To be honest, Im shuked here - right now J Stew looks like the better play, especially as he seems in more often when they go pass heavy which seems to be the trend. But are either worth much? To my comment about DWill not looking great - he is too young (Id think) to be slowing down... is something nagging him? You dont see the burst, the speed, the decisiveness and I wonder what the real deal is regarding that.
I think it is the lack of consistency. He is coming off the field too much and not getting the ball when he is out there. Early on in the game Newton was only looking for big plays when D-will was out there and he was not looking at check downs at all. Stewart was in there and the beneficiary of Newton changing his play a bit. I think the NFL is on notice that Newton can play. The home crowd got to see him in action now. I just do not think CAR throwing the ball 41 times per game is sustainable or a winning formula. D-will should start to be more involved and get more carries this week IMO.

Have those in the local media questioned Rivera or anyone else in the Panthers organization about their curious usage of DWill so far? We keep repeating it, but really how does it make sense for a team to commit so much money to a RB and then basically give him the kind of touches you'd give a backup? Doesn't ownership feel a bit disappointed at seeing their huge investment sitting on the sidelines?

DeAngelo hasn't looked great so far, but he had FIVE carries against the Packers, in a close game! That's insane, and I'd be astonished if no Carolina beat reporter hasn't questioned this. I thought it was impossible for any coaching staff to waste DWill's talents any more than Fox did, but Rivera and co. have me wishing Fox was back in Carolina.

I didn't like DWill resigning with the Panthers, but with the ridiculous money involved, I figured he'd at least be heavily involved in the offense. I even held out hope that they'd finally start getting him the ball in space, and use his solid receiving skills. Instead, they have made Stewart the primary receiving back AND the goal line back (when Newton isn't stealing those). It's like they committed all those dollars to Stewart, not DeAngelo.

I would love to hear some explanation about this from the coaches.

Well seeing as how the Panthers owner shelled out big bucks to two LB's already on his team this offseason - 1 who was hurt at the time (achilles problem with "minor" offseason surgery - & I know Beason was a stud, but still) & another one Davis who had already torn the same ACL TWICE (& just tore it the 3rd time Sunday - both guys are on IR now),I don't think you can put much faith/stock into how much they paid DWill to gauge future FF value. Looking at what other RB's just got paid, he clearly overpaid for DWill (even if he had 2 100 yard games so far, based on age & injury history & the fact that they had Stewart owned pretty cheaply).

The guy was spending like a drunken sailor & it clearly hasn't worked out well. That said, Cam will sell tickets, so I see them letting it rip for as long as he is successful at it. Throw in JStew in the same backfield & it really is a mess IMO.

Guy with his track record, age/health and new contract just don't fall of the face of the earth. If you can get him for peanuts then I'd buy. But let's not kid ourselves you aren't going to be able to trade N. Burleson for him.

Don't bother with the I wouldn't trade N. Burleson for him nonsense. You wouldn't? That's why you lose every year.

Newton at the goal line is a concern but I'd roll the dice that DeAngelo starts to get considerably more touches. Still a lot of upside here.

Guy with his track record, age/health and new contract just don't fall of the face of the earth. If you can get him for peanuts then I'd buy. But let's not kid ourselves you aren't going to be able to trade N. Burleson for him.

Don't bother with the I wouldn't trade N. Burleson for him nonsense. You wouldn't? That's why you lose every year.

Newton at the goal line is a concern but I'd roll the dice that DeAngelo starts to get considerably more touches. Still a lot of upside here.
What track record? He's had 2 1000 yd seasons in his career

'Daywalker said:
Guy with his track record, age/health and new contract just don't fall of the face of the earth. If you can get him for peanuts then I'd buy. But let's not kid ourselves you aren't going to be able to trade N. Burleson for him.Don't bother with the I wouldn't trade N. Burleson for him nonsense. You wouldn't? That's why you lose every year.Newton at the goal line is a concern but I'd roll the dice that DeAngelo starts to get considerably more touches. Still a lot of upside here.
He has upside if 1) Stewart gets hurt and 2) Newton doesn't steal many TDs. We've seen #2 is likely not going be true (I would be shocked in Newton doesn't get 6 rushing TDs this year), and while Stewart isn't a model of good health, you can't assume that he's going to get hurt, thus making this another RBBC with little TD upside. Right now I can't see DWill's upside any better than a weak RB2....he's right now a RB4.Buy DWill if you can get him for a song or as a throw-in with a trade as along as you have the space. But many owners don't have that luxury of roster space. They need players that can produce now.Would I trade him for Nate Burleson? Probably not, but as of right now that trade isn't unreasonable at all. DET is going to be a scoring machine, and Burleson makes a pretty good WR3 for someone playing in a start 3WR league and may have some WR injuries.

'bigunreal said:
Have those in the local media questioned Rivera or anyone else in the Panthers organization about their curious usage of DWill so far? We keep repeating it, but really how does it make sense for a team to commit so much money to a RB and then basically give him the kind of touches you'd give a backup? Doesn't ownership feel a bit disappointed at seeing their huge investment sitting on the sidelines?

DeAngelo hasn't looked great so far, but he had FIVE carries against the Packers, in a close game! That's insane, and I'd be astonished if no Carolina beat reporter hasn't questioned this. I thought it was impossible for any coaching staff to waste DWill's talents any more than Fox did, but Rivera and co. have me wishing Fox was back in Carolina.

I didn't like DWill resigning with the Panthers, but with the ridiculous money involved, I figured he'd at least be heavily involved in the offense. I even held out hope that they'd finally start getting him the ball in space, and use his solid receiving skills. Instead, they have made Stewart the primary receiving back AND the goal line back (when Newton isn't stealing those). It's like they committed all those dollars to Stewart, not DeAngelo.

why compound the initial mistake? if deangelo isnt effective, then its even worse to feed him the ball and submarine chances to win.

'bigunreal said:

why compound the initial mistake? if deangelo isnt effective, then its even worse to feed him the ball and submarine chances to win.
To win games, you have to have some kind of running game. I wouldn't call giving him more than 6 carries "compounding the mistake" since he is still the best RB they have.

hes avging 2.5 yards a carry and his qb is throwing bombs all over the field for 400 yards a game, i dont see how running isnt a liability.

Users who are viewing this thread