What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it ever ok to use a belt to discipline your child? (4 Viewers)

Is it acceptable to use a belt or other object to discipline your child?

• Yes as long as it's not excessive

Votes: 120 21.4%
  • Yes, but only for very rare occasions

Votes: 107 19.0%
  • No, never

Votes: 316 56.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 19 3.4%

• Total voters
Otis said:
wtf is a switch? Like a light switch, or is this some hillbilly southern thing?
You should really quit blaming your ignorance on matters on not being from the South. I grew up in the north, like many here, and know what a switch is. It's ok to admit there are some things you just don't know.

That being said, if you have to resort to hitting your child, that it is a basic failure in parenting. In fact, it has nothing to do with parenting, and everything to do with anger and lack of self control. Papa Georgio just above said never punish while angry. That's great advice.
FYP.
Concur. But use of hand was a can of worms I preferred not to open. Folks derailing threads over trivial matters has become the norm here lately and I was trying to avoid that.

I grew up with a German father and an Irish mother. Spankings were common in both of their backgrounds and they where physical disciplinarians with us kids. Dad used his belt on bare flesh. He would raise welts. If you had been, in his view, especially bad he would use the buckle end of the belt, and that would bite chinks of flesh and leave bloody pock marks.

Mom had a yardstick she liked to use. It was oak ,much thicker than the few yardsticks you still see around, and it had brass edges.She also had a paddle displayed on the wall in our kitchen. Dad made that paddle. She would use that. In a pinch she would go for a shoe or a slipper. The paddle was never removed when company was over. It was a normal household object in my community in the 1960's.

The Grade School principal had a paddle and used it. His name was Mr. Lingus. You can imagine the names we called him.

The catholic school nuns where experts with yard sticks and pointers. Hands, butts, arms, legs, and the top of the head were all fair targets. Those #####es could have out dueled Zoro they had such expertise with a hand weapon.

I remember several friends homes also displaying paddles and heard that they were frequently employed.

My parents would generally wait to discipline until the anger, if any, had passed, though mom sometimes broke that general rule. They would explain what we had done wrong, state what we might have done, give us our whopping, and then state that they still loved us. This was how they were taught. I just remember resentment and defiance being learned, not the lessons they hoped to impart. I may have learned lessons, however, of which I was unaware.

As a parent myself I understood that there might be times where a quick swat, once, on the buttocks might be appropriate for a child prior to them reaching the age of reason. I also wondered whether that might be the best practice, but I reserved that decision to myself and would have resented the State's involvement or the involvement of busybodies. I always choose, perhaps because of my memories, to find other avenues of discipline and have never spanked my child, though I am not certain those other avenues where ultimately more kind. It seems to me children will often receive discipline only as a negative, perceiving either physical pain, psychological pain, or both. Disapproval, which can be seen as the withholding or withdrawal of love can also have lasting impact. The subject of parental discipline is a difficult one.

All that said there is some line, hard to define perhaps but recognizable by most nonetheless, that cannot or should not be crossed before State involvement becomes appropriate. My Dad certainly got up to, and I think across that line from time to time. I think Peterson did in this instance though he clearly has a clear conscience, which is interesting. His clear conscience shows the line is not so readily visible to some, or is a shifting target, not yet fixed.

In all of this I have found the discussion that this may be a black southern culture thing the most interesting. I thought this was a Germanic and a catholic thing, this spanking.

Oh, Grandpa was allowed to discipline us kids when we were in his care. Grandpa used a switch.

My kid sister was generally subject to different rules than the boys, and that went to discipline situations as well. She was never spanked, until one time when it was assuredly going to happen. I no longer remember the transgression, as my parents saw it, that was going to lead to the spanking. I just remember my dad pulling off his belt and dragging my sister by her arm upstairs where the spankings were administered. I swear I use to see that belt coming out of the loops on his pants in slow motion when he would draw that thing.

I remember the terrified look on my sisters face. My brothers and I never had that look that I recall, we being resigned to the matter. I also remember her crying, no actually wailing in fear. Again we boys would not give him the satisfaction of crying before during or after. Stoicism was the rule. At any rate as he was dragging her to her fate my mother called out up the stairs after him to be careful not to hit her legs because she had to wear a dress to school the next day. That ##### was not concerned that her daughter was about to get belted until welts arose, but was only worried about appearances in the community should she go out with evidence of a spanking/whipping. I could not believe it. I saw red. I ran up the stairs and surprised my dad from behind and grabbed the belt and ran. There was really no where to go, but I ran until trapped. Of course to catch me he let my sister go. We had a tug of war over the belt. He won, I was 10 or 11. Well I got a whipping that night, buckle end. I remember saying during the whipping "#### You! I ####### hate you!" and "whip me all you want #######, you will never make me cry." He did, whip me that is, my profanity having enraged him. Profanity was not allowed in our house. I refused to cry out or to sniffle or simper, but I am certain my eyes teared. I remember afterwards tasting blood and my tongue bleeding, though I do not recall biting it.

In all the commotion my parents forgot to give my sister her spanking. I remember her coming into my room and thanking me in the middle of the night. I remember waking the next morning, the bed sheets stuck to my wounds. My mother angry the sheets were a mess, and angry that I could not walk well enough for me to go to school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otis said:
wtf is a switch? Like a light switch, or is this some hillbilly southern thing?
You should really quit blaming your ignorance on matters on not being from the South. I grew up in the north, like many here, and know what a switch is. It's ok to admit there are some things you just don't know.That being said, if you have to resort to hitting your child, that it is a basic failure in parenting. In fact, it has nothing to do with parenting, and everything to do with anger and lack of self control. Papa Georgio just above said never punish while angry. That's great advice.
FYP.
Concur. But use of hand was a can of worms I preferred not to open. Folks derailing threads over trivial matters has become the norm here lately and I was trying to avoid that.
I can understand that

42% still voting yes in 2013....I feel bad for those kids and families that they live with such angry people. As someone else said hitting a child is a failure in the adult. They are honestly a terrible person...

I don't see how anyone can justify government involvement on "how" parents should raise their kids....

My kid sister was generally subject to different rules than the boys, and that went to discipline situations as well. She was never spanked, until one time when it was assuredly going to happen. I no longer remember the transgression, as my parents saw it, that was going to lead to the spanking. I just remember my dad pulling off his belt and dragging my sister by her arm upstairs where the spankings were administered. I swear I use to see that belt coming out of the loops on his pants in slow motion when he would draw that thing.

I remember the terrified look on my sisters face. My brothers and I never had that look that I recall, we being resigned to the matter. I also remember her crying, no actually wailing in fear. Again we boys would not give him the satisfaction of crying before during or after. Stoicism was the rule. At any rate as he was dragging her to her fate my mother called out up the stairs after him to be careful not to hit her legs because she had to wear a dress to school the next day. That ##### was not concerned that her daughter was about to get belted until welts arose, but was only worried about appearances in the community should she go out with evidence of a spanking/whipping. I could not believe it. I saw red. I ran up the stairs and surprised my dad from behind and grabbed the belt and ran. There was really no where to go, but I ran until trapped. Of course to catch me he let my sister go. We had a tug of war over the belt. He won, I was 10 or 11. Well I got a whipping that night, buckle end. I remember saying during the whipping "#### You! I ####### hate you!" and "whip me all you want #######, you will never make me cry." He did, whip me that is, my profanity having enraged him. Profanity was not allowed in our house. I refused to cry out or to sniffle or simper, but I am certain my eyes teared. I remember afterwards tasting blood and my tongue bleeding, though I do not recall biting it.

In all the commotion my parents forgot to give my sister her spanking. I remember her coming into my room and thanking me in the middle of the night. I remember waking the next morning, the bed sheets stuck to my wounds. My mother angry the sheets were a mess, and angry that I could not walk well enough for me to go to school.
I was spanked growing up, never with a belt. Nothing close to this. Crazy. Glad to see you're breaking the cycle.

I've spanked my own 2 year old once for ripping his hand away from his mother and running into the parking lot. He got a few steps into the lot before I caught him. I swatted his butt as I was pulling him back near our car. I didn't think about it at the time, wasn't planning on it, more natural reaction and trying to get his attention solely on me to impress upon him how dangerous that was. I didn't swing very hard but afterwards I'm still questioning if it was even effective. I always assumed I would spank for discipline since my parents, grandparents etc always have. But I find myself not doing it. I don't think I could ever use a belt or another object. I honestly don't remember stuff I did that lead to spankings, except one time I stuck a pocket knife into the wall. But I remember being spanked way more then once.

I don't see how anyone can justify government involvement on "how" parents should raise their kids....
:lmao:
“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”
Can't argue with that. I guess if we're for the government protecting children we must be like Hitler.

You can take my scrotum-bloodied switch when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

42% still voting yes in 2013....I feel bad for those kids and families that they live with such angry people. As someone else said hitting a child is a failure in the adult. They are honestly a terrible person...
I can't understand how millions of "enlightened people" can abort their babies. I don't feel they are terrible people though. They've allowed society to delude them into thinking that it's not murder. Perhaps understanding the backgrounds of people will keep you from labeling them as "horrible people" just because they whip their kids.

The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.
My linkhttp://www.wcvb.com/news/lawyer-hopeful-tests-show-dead-infants-stillborn/28058304?absolute=true

I don't believe in it. I think it provides an excuse for child abusers to use in order to justify sadistic behavior. It appears that Adrian Peterson is one of those people.

That being said, we need to draw a distinction between those who use this form of punishment in an honest attempt to raise their children, and those who abuse children. It is far too easy to over generalize so that they are all placed in the same group, and I see that starting to happen already.
Already, like in your previous paragraph?

I don't believe in it. I think it provides an excuse for child abusers to use in order to justify sadistic behavior. It appears that Adrian Peterson is one of those people.

That being said, we need to draw a distinction between those who use this form of punishment in an honest attempt to raise their children, and those who abuse children. It is far too easy to over generalize so that they are all placed in the same group, and I see that starting to happen already.
Already, like in your previous paragraph?
:lmao: ####### unbelievable

There is a reason a large number of children are growing up these days with no backbone and no sense of discipline. A generation of pansies is being bred. As long as it isn't excessive, I see nothing wrong with using a belt on your child. You can discipline with love. In fact, I think using your hand is more heinous than a belt. At least the belt detaches you from being the "abuser". They associate the belt with discipline. Not your hand. And, truthfully, I don't remember any times I was spanked with a belt that it sticks out in my mind. Really, it's the anticipation of it that is the most painful. Not the actual "belting". I swear. This world is full of hypocritical know-it-alls. Everyone wants to tell everyone else how they should raise their children. It's silly. Maybe pay a little more attention in your own home and stop trying to solve the world's "problems". And while we are on the subject of parents coddling and being overprotective of their children; Do you really need to drive to the bus stop and sit in the car with them while the bus pulls up and comes to a complete stop? Seriously? I used to have to walk 1/2 a mile to my bus stop with my younger brother in the 2nd grade. We'd ride our bikes to school over a mile away in the 4th grade. I understand you want your children to be safe, but stop making them SO AFRAID of the world. Jesus. FWIW, I don't have children yet, so this is an unbiased opinion.
For a guy who doesn't have any children, you sure have a lot of opinions about parenting them. What sort of exposure do you have to children where you can make a blanket statement that "a large number of children are growing up these days with no backbone and no sense of discipline"?
As a former child, I feel that I have every right to an opinion on the matter. I see children at restaurants all the time that are ridiculously out of control. Loud, running around. I never did that as a child, because I knew if I did, I'd get my ### spanked. You can discipline your children and they will still love you. Those two things are NOT mutually exclusive. Show them love. It's not that difficult of a concept. It just seems that so many kids don't respect their parents these days and you see that behavior first hand. I have more respect for my dad than any man in the world. But he spanked me. He never beat me. So, there may be a disconnect on my opinion here. I know it's not the only factor in the matter, but look at violence in schools. It's escalated dramatically from the 70s, 80s, and early 90s when paddling was still allowed in schools. Can't be a complete coincidence.
Great point. A group of guys that I work with were sitting around a restaurant the other day, and all 6 of us got "beat" as kids. We all lamented the fact that kids these days are crazy and are not disciplined. One guy said that if he was at a friends house and he did something bad, his friend's parents would whip him, and then he'd get home and get another whipping. It was a way of life, and kids developed a healthy respect and fear for their parents, if the whippings weren't abusive. It is patently false that all whippings are abusive, and there are many in this thread that seem to be implying that. They are wrong.
Starting to see a strong correlation of the board's uber religious with the pro-beating your kids to teach them 'healthy fear'. George Carlin had a great bit on this....YOU MUST FEAR THE LORD, WORSHIP HIM OR GO TO HELL......but he loves you!

When we look back at history, we refer to the whips used on the bare backs of slaves as a 'beating', though it was the choice of punishment during the era. I think we are advancing enough as a society to look at the use of a belt on the bare skin of a child in much the same manner. My mother's childhood friend growing up received cigarette burns on his skin as a form of punishment and that very well may have been viewed as a proper and acceptable form of punishment in the 50s. It's not now (though I'm sure somebody will argue to the contrary). I look at a belt much like I would a whip. You can crack somebody pretty damn hard and do major damage with both (re-read Menobrowns poignant post if you have any doubts the severity of damage a belt can cause a child). A whip is a beating. Why is a belt any different? Because it's functional use is to hold up pants?
Because a belt spanking on pantzed bum isn't going to do damage, it's going to sting for a moment.. Comparing a belt spanking given by a responsible and loving parent to a whip used on a slave is :loco:
Fun looking back at this thread to see who the pro-beating crowd is. Usual suspects. If anything positive comes from the Peterson abuse, it's that the iTough guys who were pro-beating kids with belts or switches look pretty stupid today.

When we look back at history, we refer to the whips used on the bare backs of slaves as a 'beating', though it was the choice of punishment during the era. I think we are advancing enough as a society to look at the use of a belt on the bare skin of a child in much the same manner. My mother's childhood friend growing up received cigarette burns on his skin as a form of punishment and that very well may have been viewed as a proper and acceptable form of punishment in the 50s. It's not now (though I'm sure somebody will argue to the contrary). I look at a belt much like I would a whip. You can crack somebody pretty damn hard and do major damage with both (re-read Menobrowns poignant post if you have any doubts the severity of damage a belt can cause a child). A whip is a beating. Why is a belt any different? Because it's functional use is to hold up pants?
Because a belt spanking on pantzed bum isn't going to do damage, it's going to sting for a moment.. Comparing a belt spanking given by a responsible and loving parent to a whip used on a slave is :loco:
Fun looking back at this thread to see who the pro-beating crowd is. Usual suspects. If anything positive comes from the Peterson abuse, it's that the iTough guys who were pro-beating kids with belts or switches look pretty stupid today.
I got into a pretty intense debate with a regular poster here, it seems like it was a decade ago but based on the dates in your quoted posts maybe it wasn't nearly so long ago (then again, these topics recycle here over and over over the years).

This poster proudly related how he would spank his child when he argued about going to bed-then when his son wouldn't stop crying he would continue to spank him until he stopped (there's some logic for you).

Spanking is for the lazy or stupid (parent). This garbage is all over FB now too, obviously because of AP. What I find maddening is the endless stream of anecdotal "When I was a kid I got spanked with..<insert appropriately horrifying implement> and I learned respect" etc etc.

Lot of people-typically conservatives who long for the good ole days when they could just immediately impose their will on /female/child/gay person/- go on to mock the use of "timeouts". That's just one behavior modification technique that's used successfully in day cares and schools across the country every day. We had some pretty rough emotionally disturbed teenagers-some inner city gang types- where I used to work and were able to manage them without giving them beat downs. Of course it's takes a little bit of effort.

I don't know how you got the belt, but for me, there were no pants involved - kind of defeats the purpose...ditto for the plastic spoon, and occasional leather hand whip - occasionally you got to keep your pants up, but really, what was the point in that?

Really what this comes down to is education - what seems obvious to some/most is not obvious to all.

Spanking is for the lazy or stupid (parent). This garbage is all over FB now too, obviously because of AP. What I find maddening is the endless stream of anecdotal "When I was a kid I got spanked with..<insert appropriately horrifying implement> and I learned respect" etc etc.
I think you are taking it a step to far there. We don't spank, but I would argue that a parent who does spank - and does so properly, i.e. not done in anger - has a far more difficult task of disciplining. The notion of hitting your child to inflict some pain, even as a punishment and a deterrent, is not an easy task.

Now, I will grant you that some parents spank in anger, or outrage, and without the thought process, just an immediate reaction to the behavior without any teaching moments. But not all, and I have no idea what percentage.

I got into a pretty intense debate with a regular poster here, it seems like it was a decade ago but based on the dates in your quoted posts maybe it wasn't nearly so long ago (then again, these topics recycle here over and over over the years).

This poster proudly related how he would spank his child when he argued about going to bed-then when his son wouldn't stop crying he would continue to spank him until he stopped (there's some logic for you).

Lot of people-typically conservatives who long for the good ole days when they could just immediately impose their will on /female/child/gay person/- go on to mock the use of "timeouts". That's just one behavior modification technique that's used successfully in day cares and schools across the country every day. We had some pretty rough emotionally disturbed teenagers-some inner city gang types- where I used to work and were able to manage them without giving them beat downs. Of course it's takes a little bit of effort.
I am on record as being very opposed to spanking in this thread. I mock timeouts because it is more of the same laziness. Here is how it frequently goes...

Kid Throws fit at public gathering. Parent says they are going to get a timeout. Usually followed by counting. Kid behaves for 37 seconds. Parents go back to ignoring their kids and carrying on with their own conversations. Kid misbehaves again. Timeout threatened. Kid keeps pitching a fit. Timeout now put in effect. Kid in timeout now just pitches fit sitting on a chair in corner. Parent carries on. Child now leaves chair. Parent eventually realizes and puts kid back in timeout. Rinse, repeat. Until eventually parent just loses interest and rolls with kids will be kids excuse and gives kid what they wanted or promises future reward for stopping. Kid now stops throwing fit. Parent is proud of how timeout "worked". It is almost a game. A game the child almost always wins.

I think you are taking it a step to far there. We don't spank, but I would argue that a parent who does spank - and does so properly, i.e. not done in anger - has a far more difficult task of disciplining. The notion of hitting your child to inflict some pain, even as a punishment and a deterrent, is not an easy task.

Now, I will grant you that some parents spank in anger, or outrage, and without the thought process, just an immediate reaction to the behavior without any teaching moments. But not all, and I have no idea what percentage.
Isn't that kind of the definition of stupid? Making something much harder than it needs to be for no reason at all?

Strong evidence against spanking.

“Thus, among the 79 statistically significant effect sizes, 99 percent indicated an association between spanking and a detrimental child outcome,” the study reads. Those outcomes were: “low moral internalization, aggression, antisocial behavior, externalizing behavior problems, internalizing behavior problems, mental-health problems, negative parent–child relationships, impaired cognitive ability, low self-esteem, and risk of physical abuse from parents.”

Spanking is for the uninformed.  Pure and simple.  So much downside.  You can raise healthy, happy, respectful, disciplined kids without ever laying a hand on them.  If you spank, and it's because "that's how I was raised", be the one in your family who breaks the cycle.

I spanked my daughter one time and have always regretted it.  Never again. My 3 are all great young adults now.  It's just not necessary.

There's a thread about the Dad that got videotaped beating his son with a belt while playing catch. While most find it excessive in that situation, I'm truly shocked by how many seem to think using a belt is sometimes ok.

IMO, a belt or other object other than a hand should never be used to discipline a child. And even simple spankings should not be the norm. But, it seems that just because some of you were hit with belts as a kid and turned out fine that it's no big deal.

I hope this poll doesn't turn out like that thread seems to indicate it might, but we'll see.
My dad used a belt on me as a kid, now that I am a father I could not fathom hitting my child much less with a belt.

It's ok if it is the only way to keep your child from making everyone else's life miserable. 

For the crappy parents out there who are not able to control their children appropriately, spank away.  It is for the greater good.

proninja said:
It actually isn't according to the latest research. Quite the opposite. 
I think you missed the point.

Believe it or not there are some worse parenting styles out there than the spankers. 

America is not great anymore because we don't discipline our children. It's the teachers fault, its the police fault, it is their bosses fault etc. All kids need an attitude adjustment from time to time...I can't tell you how many coaches knocked me around growing up...Authority figures were to be respected...

America is not great anymore because we don't discipline our children. It's the teachers fault, its the police fault, it is their bosses fault etc. All kids need an attitude adjustment from time to time...I can't tell you how many coaches knocked me around growing up...Authority figures were to be respected...
Pretty sure people can be respected without abusing others

Pretty sure people can be respected without abusing others
with fear comes respect....i dare someone to walk into a hells angel gathering and start acting disrespectful...it would never happen ...because you know what WOULD happen...so your most basic instinct tells you ''behave or else''...when you realize what respect feels like then you learn how to apply it in all aspects of your life without fear as a motivator....i can tell you if you walk into a hells angels gathering and show respect you will get it back in return...and when you feel how nice it is to both give and receive respect consider lesson learned. (hells angels just an example ...point is when your ### is on the line you dont act like a douch...thats called respect)

with fear comes respect....i dare someone to walk into a hells angel gathering and start acting disrespectful...it would never happen ...because you know what WOULD happen...so your most basic instinct tells you ''behave or else''...when you realize what respect feels like then you learn how to apply it in all aspects of your life without fear as a motivator....i c an tell you if yoii walk into a hells angels gathering and show respect you will get it back in return...and when you feel how nice it is to both give and receive respect consider lesson learned. (hells angels just an example ...point is when your ### is on the line you dont act like a douch...thats called respect)
So now we're comparing fighting Hell's Angels members to disciplining your kids?

Have you raised any male teenagers and their friends?
No but I was one. Can't say my parents/coaches "knocked me around" when I was growing up. Turned out just fine.

I have an almost 4y/o daughter and a son on the way. Can't saying "knocking them around" has ever crossed my mind.

So now we're comparing fighting Hell's Angels members to disciplining your kids?
no...im explaining how respect is earned thru fear of paying for acting like a #### head....kids can be taught up to a certain age ...most teens start to act like little ####s when they leave the house and hang around a bunch of other little ####s ...thats when the  respect they learned growing up goes out the window ...now bring those teens somewhere where they dont feel safe when acting like #######s and see how fast they behave  ...im talking from my own  experience ...im sure there are hundreds of examples 

no...im explaining how respect is earned thru fear of paying for acting like a #### head....kids can be taught up to a certain age ...most teens start to act like little ####s when they leave the house and hang around a bunch of other little ####s ...thats when the  respect they learned growing up goes out the window ...now bring those teens somewhere where they dont feel safe when acting like #######s and see how fast they behave  ...im talking from my own  experience ...im sure there are hundreds of examples 
You can instill fear in someone without being physical

Users who are viewing this thread