What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Mike James better than Doug Martin? (1 Viewer)

KellysHeroes

Footballguy
The past 2 weeks of Mike James has been impressive and begs to ask a)is Martin overrated a bit and b) is Mike James better.

P.S. Martin has been IR'd

Bucs placed RB Doug Martin on injured reserve with torn labrum in his shoulder, ending his season.

Rookie Mike James will be Tampa's feature back the rest of the way, offering RB2/flex value. Martin's sophomore year was a major disappointment after he ranked No. 2 in fantasy scoring among running backs as a 2012 rookie, behind only Adrian Peterson. The future remains bright for Martin in Tampa Bay, but all Bucs skill-position players would likely benefit from a coaching change. And we fully expect one to come this offseason. Through 22 career NFL games, Martin has 13 touchdowns and a 4.3 YPC average. He's lost just two fumbles. Dynasty and keeper league owners should cling tightly to Martin. He's still likely to be a second-round pick in re-draft leagues next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
No. I actually kind of like James, but he is what he is IMO. A two-down grinder with minimal "wow" factor. There are lots of guys like this floating around the league and not too many of them have monster value in FF or real life. I would say he's kind of like a Greene, BJGE, Gerhart, Bolden, Leshoure, Ivory type of player.

Everybody is quick to dismiss this question out of hand.

Time should tell. Health willing, looks like he's in line for a handful of starts.

We'll see.

No. But he's got great vision, always finds the hole, really slippery out there & always falls forward. (Yes, I'm still talking about a running back) Very impressive vs. the Hawks. Quite a find as a 6th round pick. There's not the wow factor you probably get with Doug Martin, but there's not anything to dislike about his game either.

Isotopes said:
fresh legs
Bingo.

And something to keep in mind when Brown comes back for NYG this weekend.

Eased back in my...

Martin was argued as the dynasty #1 rb before the seasin. Guess its mike james now.

One good game and he's a dynasty stud?!

The Shark Pool needs a name change to the Over-Reaction Pool.

No. He's more than a plodder, but not as good as Martin. I saw many games at UM and he did it all - blocked, played fullback, caught the ball, returned KOs. But he was never the best back on the team. As a junior and senior, Lamar Miller and then Duke Johnson were better. He's done better than I expected.

I think we need more than a couple games to decide this. As of now I am pleasently surprised at his performances.

As a runner I don't think its close at all. Martin's agility, elusiveness and balance are so much greater. James is just a decisive physical runner. If the OL is playing well, that type of runner can have plenty success. James is not going to create many yards on his own. Where I think there is no drop off is as a receiver/blocker on third down. Martin is clearly better IMO, but I think James has shown enough to put a small dent in Martin's workload.

I don't know, but fantasy owners shouldn't be so quick to answer questions like this. Coming into this year, Martin and Richardson were considered Dynasty Gold and the potential future of the fantasy RB position. Now, we are left wondering if they are even RB2 quality fantasy players. Things change fast when it comes to the RB position.

I don't think James is all that close to Martin from a talent perspective.

But, at the same time, I do think Martins talent has been grossly overrated.

Don't think there are that many backs in the league today with Martin's balance and straight line burst.... probably Charles. McCoy isn't even this fast but has much better shiftiness.

The question that begs to be asked then is what happened to Martin this year?

He ran nothing like he did last year from the first game of this season on and I may wonder if Mike James is a better fit for Mike Sullivan's current scheme.

No. He's more than a plodder, but not as good as Martin. I saw many games at UM and he did it all - blocked, played fullback, caught the ball, returned KOs. But he was never the best back on the team. As a junior and senior, Lamar Miller and then Duke Johnson were better. He's done better than I expected.
College production doesn't translate well.

I doubt you could find a single Bama fan who thought Lacy would be the best of the three rbs to come from Bama in the last few years. Lacy seemed slower, never really locked down the starting job, and didn't seem to have as many big plays as the other two. Now he's dominating the nfl while Trent and Ingram are stinking up the joint.

The nfl is a different animal. It seems to me that the rbs that are successful right now are those that make decisive cuts, don't waste time dancing, and consistently run downhill.

James seems to be in that mold along with Lynch, Stacy, and Lacy.

What a silly question. Bizarre thread. muscle hamster is all sorts of better than his 6th round backup. please.

Is James better to have on your roster today, yes. That isn't the same as better in general. please.

/thread

Terrell Davis and Alfred Morris were both drafted in the 6th round. The round a player was drafted really doesn't matter once there is actual NFL play to evaluate. He looked really good last week. If he continues to play well, it will likely result in a timeshare next year. In dynasty, I would probably consider selling Martin high if James blows up again this week.

What a silly question. Bizarre thread. muscle hamster is all sorts of better than his 6th round backup. please.

Is James better to have on your roster today, yes. That isn't the same as better in general. please.

/thread
Its what the SP is about, initial reaction is "no" but then some posters come in with intelligent arugments and we get a nice discussion. Also the thread will be bumped everytime James gets stuffed or has a nice run.

/thread
Its what the SP is about, initial reaction is "no" but then some posters come in with intelligent arugments and we get a nice discussion. Also the thread will be bumped everytime James gets stuffed or has a nice run.
I'm not sure what kind of "intelligent arguments" you were seeking. The thread title asks if James is better than Martin.

NO is really all that's required. James is doing a fine job so far, but he couldn't dream about having Martin's skill set.

My opinion is that, for awhile now, people have been waaay too down on Martin's performance prior to the injury.

I figure it's a case of expectations not being met making people sour...but even guys I expect to see things with some objectivity have clearly failed to do so.

JMO

(and my answer is no)

A lot of times backup RBs will take over midseason and look pretty good for a couple weeks, or even a few weeks, then once they are a bit banged up and/or tired from a lot of work, then will show their true colors, sometimes good and sometimes bad. MOST of the time bad.

Right now James has had one good game, and since it came against Seattle people are going to go gaga over it.

But to answer the question of whether or not he is better than Martin..............................no, not even close for me.

I think Doug Martin is a very good player. He's not elite though. People overreacted to last seasons success. He wasn't really any better than Trent Richardson this season. Quite A disappointment in fact. But Richardson is roundly lambasted as a flop whereas Martin gets a pass despite being in the same system as last year. Richardson is on his third system I believe already. And was roundly considered a better prospect than Martin.

Users who are viewing this thread