What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Nicks now just a mediocre fantasy WR? (1 Viewer)

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
cstu said:
Bob Magaw said:
Few better places to go to rehab his value, if there is anything to be rehabbed.

What does the depth chart look like assuming Wayne returns.

How often does IND use three WR sets?
Interested to know what people think this does to Hilton's value.
Gotta wonder about Waynes Health and rehab.

Hiltons value stays about the same deep bomber that you cant play every week
That is the question I have, how much will he have left after this injury at his age?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since theres been little mention on Waynes rehad I gotta think think its not going that well. Not the superfast recovery we've been getting used anyway. 3.5 mil / 1 yr is a great deal for Indy, Car must not be interested at all.

Outside of being made the top target in Car this a good spot for Nicks to prove himself again.... and can Luck be bumped any higher?

Since theres been little mention on Waynes rehad I gotta think think its not going that well. Not the superfast recovery we've been getting used anyway. 3.5 mil / 1 yr is a great deal for Indy, Car must not be interested at all.

Outside of being made the top target in Car this a good spot for Nicks to prove himself again.... and can Luck be bumped any higher?
Seriously, Luck is even moreso in the drivers seat now. Great signing for the Colts. Nicks plays to his talent and stays healthy, they can extend him and keep it going. Love this signing for them.

As a Colts fan, I'm hesitant. I WANT to be believe that Nicks will have sticking power, but it feels like we've been through this before. First Avery, then DHB, now Nicks. It'd be nice if one of these 1-year rentals would pan out.

At least with Nicks we're getting a guy who has performed well in the past. I just question his health.

Anyone using this is an exit strategy?
Smart owners would.
I feel like you're bound to find someone to overpay. If you believe in a bounce back to Nicks' upside/talent, no better time than now to buy, even with the price increase.

Personally, I'm trying to find ways to throw the kitchen sink at Luck owners. This will benefit him the most. Probably a long shot, but worth it if you're not in it to win now and you have win now pieces for a Luck owner who is close.

Smart owners would.
I feel like you're bound to find someone to overpay. If you believe in a bounce back to Nicks' upside/talent, no better time than now to buy, even with the price increase.

Personally, I'm trying to find ways to throw the kitchen sink at Luck owners. This will benefit him the most. Probably a long shot, but worth it if you're not in it to win now and you have win now pieces for a Luck owner who is close.
I think most people sored on him after last yr, I doubt u can get anearly 2nd or 2015 1st for him. I rather hold

Smart owners would.

I think most people sored on him after last yr, I doubt u can get anearly 2nd or 2015 1st for him. I rather hold
If I still owned him I wait until he does something in September, then maybe look to cash in

As a Nicks and Hilton owner, I would have preferred Carolina. The reports of "interest" must have been overblown.

It doesn't matter how Wayne's rehab is going. He's 35 and coming off his ACL injury. He's on fantasy life support.

It doesn't matter how Wayne's rehab is going. He's 35 and coming off his ACL injury. He's on fantasy life support.
And Nicks just kicked the plug.

cstu said:
Bob Magaw said:
Few better places to go to rehab his value, if there is anything to be rehabbed.

To me Hilton is a big sell for two reasons;

1. He had a huge amount of targets last season. 138 targets in the regular season which was the 17th highest in the league but he still only produced 1083 yds and 5 TDs. He had five games with 11 or more targets. He then went on to have a very strong showing in the playoffs where he had 18 (!!) targets versus KC. For 2014 they are likely getting back D'wayne Allen and Reggie Wayne, and now Hakeem Nicks is thrown into the mix. Hilton's targets can't possibly stay as high as they were last season.

2. They started more or less every game in 2013 trying to get the opponent 2-3 TDs ahead before they started their comeback frenzy in the second half. I find it highly unlikely that they will again play from behind more or less every game like they did this past season. I would expect them to build a better running game now that they hopefully don't lose their top two RBs to injury by week 3, and I would expect them to not ask as much of Luck as they did in 2013.

Last season was more or less a best case scenario for Hilton. And even in this scenario he had 10 games with between 7 and 52 yards receiving, and he had 14 games where he did not score a touchdown, so it is not like he was consistently productive, but he had a few really big games. He is still 5'9" and 178 lbs. I just don't see how people can expect the same kind of production from him this season.

As for Nicks he was an intriguing buy due to his impending free agency but the ideal time to buy has already passed. That being said some owners that have been unwilling to sell Nicks in the past could now be looking to sell at a fair price considering that they no longer feel like they are selling him at his absolute lowest value, so I would inquire about what type of compensation Nicks' owners are looking for. In most cases he will likely still be fairly cheap.

cstu said:
Bob Magaw said:

To me Hilton is a big sell for two reasons;

1. He had a huge amount of targets last season. 138 targets in the regular season which was the 17th highest in the league but he still only produced 1083 yds and 5 TDs. He had five games with 11 or more targets. He then went on to have a very strong showing in the playoffs where he had 18 (!!) targets versus KC. For 2014 they are likely getting back D'wayne Allen and Reggie Wayne, and now Hakeem Nicks is thrown into the mix. Hilton's targets can't possibly stay as high as they were last season.

2. They started more or less every game in 2013 trying to get the opponent 2-3 TDs ahead before they started their comeback frenzy in the second half. I find it highly unlikely that they will again play from behind more or less every game like they did this past season. I would expect them to build a better running game now that they hopefully don't lose their top two RBs to injury by week 3, and I would expect them to not ask as much of Luck as they did in 2013.

Last season was more or less a best case scenario for Hilton. And even in this scenario he had 10 games with between 7 and 52 yards receiving, and he had 14 games where he did not score a touchdown, so it is not like he was consistently productive, but he had a few really big games. He is still 5'9" and 178 lbs. I just don't see how people can expect the same kind of production from him this season.

As for Nicks he was an intriguing buy due to his impending free agency but the ideal time to buy has already passed. That being said some owners that have been unwilling to sell Nicks in the past could now be looking to sell at a fair price considering that they no longer feel like they are selling him at his absolute lowest value, so I would inquire about what type of compensation Nicks' owners are looking for. In most cases he will likely still be fairly cheap.
I think the signing helps Hilton's value. While Nicks is drawing coverage down field, Hilton will have lots of intermediate opportunity to go along with being able to also go deep opposite Nicks.

Seriously, Luck is even moreso in the drivers seat now. Great signing for the Colts. Nicks plays to his talent and stays healthy, they can extend him and keep it going. Love this signing for them.
Did you watch much of Nicks last season? I went to the Detroit-Giant game and he did not look close to the player he was a couple of seasons ago. This one is going to be a crap shoot.

A few thoughts here: as a Nicks and Cam owner, I would've preferred him to land in Carolina where the number of targets could be higher as the main guy other than Olsen, rather than in Indy splitting time with Hilton, potentially Wayne, Allen, Fleener, Rodgers, and Brazil. There's no guarantee that Nicks is going to be high on the Indy depth chart.

But, speaking of that Indy depth chart, this has to be writing on the wall that Wayne is done. They are probably better off moving on with Hilton/Nicks, and seeing what they have in Rodgers and Brazil.

I wouldn't mind cashing out on Nicks now, but doubt I could get that much for him.

I think Hilton and Nicks will feed off each other and both manage to put up respectable numbers. Nicks can do some pretty amazing stuff when his quarterback actually throws the ball to him.

I think its a great pick up for the Colts, Nicks is young, a one year deal is perfect. A lot of people were questioning whether Nicks was 100% last year and it was impossible to tell cause he was literally removed from the NYG gameplan.

Low risk, high reward - really jealous the Pats didn't land him.

Did you watch much of Nicks last season? I went to the Detroit-Giant game and he did not look close to the player he was a couple of seasons ago. This one is going to be a crap shoot.
:goodposting:

IMO Nicks value goes up now that we know he's in a good situation for 2014, but he's going to be massively over valued by a fair number of people who have visions of 2010 dancing in their heads. It's been years since Nicks has played well at this point -- and it's very possible, I'd say more likely than not, that the injuries have robbed him of what made him special in the first place. He obviously gets a massive upgrade at QB relative to 2013 Eli, but how much does that matter if he can't get open and make plays? Someone in your league will be drinking the kool aid and see Nicks as a strong WR2 with WR1 upside now -- find that guy and let him absorb the risk that Nicks is who he is at this point -- a mediocre possession WR.

I think Hilton and Nicks will feed off each other and both manage to put up respectable numbers. Nicks can do some pretty amazing stuff when his quarterback actually throws the ball to him.

I think its a great pick up for the Colts, Nicks is young, a one year deal is perfect. A lot of people were questioning whether Nicks was 100% last year and it was impossible to tell cause he was literally removed from the NYG gameplan.

Low risk, high reward - really jealous the Pats didn't land him.
102 targets is being removed from the game plan?

Smart owners would.

I sold him a few days ago (before this news) for a likely late 2015 1st in a 10 team league (likely pick 7-10). I was happy with it then, and I'm still happy with it now. Really makes me wonder what Carolina is going to do.

:goodposting: IMO Nicks value goes up now that we know he's in a good situation for 2014, but he's going to be massively over valued by a fair number of people who have visions of 2010 dancing in their heads. It's been years since Nicks has played well at this point -- and it's very possible, I'd say more likely than not, that the injuries have robbed him of what made him special in the first place. He obviously gets a massive upgrade at QB relative to 2013 Eli, but how much does that matter if he can't get open and make plays? Someone in your league will be drinking the kool aid and see Nicks as a strong WR2 with WR1 upside now -- find that guy and let him absorb the risk that Nicks is who he is at this point -- a mediocre possession WR.
lol...In your opinion Nicks was equally likely to end up in Jax or Oak.
Just because a coins lands on heads when you flip it doesn't mean it had no chance of landing on tails. The contract Nicks signed tells us exactly what the NFL thinks he's worth -- less than Dexter McCluster and Andrew Hawkins. Go on believing he's great, though.

Had you tried to deal Nicks before he signed with the Colts, you probably would have received 40 cents on the dollar that you paid for him.

Now that he's catching passes from Luck, I'd surmise you could get 60 cents on the dollar. This points his arrow up but doesn't change the fact that he's still far from a known commodity.

If he ended up with an 80/1130/8 line, that would not surprise me at all. Similarly, we can't rule out a 54/760/3 line either. I'm still a believer he will be closer to the first stat set, but you can't deny he looked bad last year.

:goodposting: IMO Nicks value goes up now that we know he's in a good situation for 2014, but he's going to be massively over valued by a fair number of people who have visions of 2010 dancing in their heads. It's been years since Nicks has played well at this point -- and it's very possible, I'd say more likely than not, that the injuries have robbed him of what made him special in the first place. He obviously gets a massive upgrade at QB relative to 2013 Eli, but how much does that matter if he can't get open and make plays? Someone in your league will be drinking the kool aid and see Nicks as a strong WR2 with WR1 upside now -- find that guy and let him absorb the risk that Nicks is who he is at this point -- a mediocre possession WR.
Just because a coins lands on heads when you flip it doesn't mean it had no chance of landing on tails. The contract Nicks signed tells us exactly what the NFL thinks he's worth -- less than Dexter McCluster and Andrew Hawkins. Go on believing he's great, though.
Is that all we are doing here??? Flipping Coins...lol. You seem to be pretty confident in your opinion for someone just flipping a coin
More than confident, you can see he really wants nicks to fail to the point I lol when I read his post. Hey bro you shouldn't sold low.

Nicks will be top 15 wr barring injury. If someone wanted nicks from me it would not be for a mid 1st I can tell you that. He will beast this year. Eli was pretty poor, look what Peyton did for Decker. Don't underestimate the value of a good Qb.

Couldn't be happier as a Colts fan. I think this does many things to help the Colts:

Gives Waybe time to come back into shape without having to rush things.

Gives the Colts a legitimate outside target to open the short to intermediate routes for Hilton and the TEs.

Gives Rogers a chance to grow under a similar type WR.

Let's hope Nicks still has the fire!

Nicks signs with Indy, has a shot at a rebound I'd think.
Should be hurt by week 1. Nicks got what he deserved for the 1/2 assed effort of last year. Great move by the Colts. You get a guy for 1 year, he knows he has to play his ### off to get a long term contract. They know it as well. They let him walk after he gives them all he has....if he has anything. Some other team makes a huge mistake in 2015, probably one in their own division.

Bazinga! said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Bazinga! said:

Is that all we are doing here??? Flipping Coins...lol. You seem to be pretty confident in your opinion for someone just flipping a coin
So projecting FA destinations isn't just throwing darts? Tell that to people who invested in Eric Decker. I own Golden Tate in a bunch of leagues; I'm thrilled that he signed in Detroit, but I'm not dumb enough to think that I had any special insight or am smarter than anyone else. He was "heads" as was Nicks. Decker was "tails." Gerhart was "heads," Donald Brown was "tails" and they got the same contracts. It's incredibly foolish to actually believe that you know how FA is going to play out ahead of time.

Billy Ball Thorton said:
Bazinga! said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Bazinga! said:

More than confident, you can see he really wants nicks to fail to the point I lol when I read his post. Hey bro you shouldn't sold low.Nicks will be top 15 wr barring injury. If someone wanted nicks from me it would not be for a mid 1st I can tell you that. He will beast this year. Eli was pretty poor, look what Peyton did for Decker. Don't underestimate the value of a good Qb.
I've never owned Nicks, and don't really care either way about him. He's sucked for two years in a row, though, and the best deal he could get on the open market was one year @ $3.5 million. Compare that to what the other FA WRs have been getting, and then see how that meshes with your narrative of how Nicks' situation has been the primary factor behind his terrible production for the past two years. I'll hang up and wait for your answer...

Billy Ball Thorton said:
More than confident, you can see he really wants nicks to fail to the point I lol when I read his post. Hey bro you shouldn't sold low.Nicks will be top 15 wr barring injury. If someone wanted nicks from me it would not be for a mid 1st I can tell you that. He will beast this year. Eli was pretty poor, look what Peyton did for Decker. Don't underestimate the value of a good Qb.
Yeah, I agree. I also think Stephen Hawking can dance barring ALS.

Billy Ball Thorton said:
Yeah, I agree. I also think Stephen Hawking can dance barring ALS.
:lmao:

Crazy owner opinions aside, I've seen Nicks moved in the 1.08 - 1.10 range in a couple leagues, post-signing. Seems like a fair price to me. You pay for the high, but very injury-challenged upside of a previously dominant WR playing with Andrew Luck and seemingly having his head in the right place. Top QBs on pass-heavy teams routinely produce stud fantasy numbers out of multiple WRs, so I like the gamble, but injuries are a legit concern. Will surely be watching closely if an apparent handcuff emerges.

Anybody seen T.Y. Hilton trades after the signing?

Crazy owner opinions aside, I've seen Nicks moved in the 1.08 - 1.10 range in a couple leagues, post-signing. Seems like a fair price to me. You pay for the high, but very injury-challenged upside of a previously dominant WR playing with Andrew Luck and seemingly having his head in the right place. Top QBs on pass-heavy teams routinely produce stud fantasy numbers out of multiple WRs, so I like the gamble, but injuries are a legit concern. Will surely be watching closely if an apparent handcuff emerges.

Anybody seen T.Y. Hilton trades after the signing?
I would not one of the top 5 rookie WR's (expected to be 1st round picks), a top 4 rookie RB or the top rookie TE for Nicks. I wouldn't even trade Jordan Matthews (expected to be the 1.12 pick) for Nicks.

Coeur de Lion said:
Bazinga! said:

The Giants didn't even make him an offer

Coeur de Lion said:
Bazinga! said:

The Giants didn't even make him an offer
Yeah. NY had a rough year last year for sure, but overall the Giants have absolutely been one of the better run franchises in the NFL for the past decade. They know what they are doing -- and the fact that they didn't want Nicks back at any price is telling.

Whatever. People have been writing off Wayne for three years or more. Wayne's only fantasy issue is that he's been so rock steady for so long that people have gotten bored with him but come the season, he will be in that 85-95/1100/7 range. Guys likes Stephen hill and DMAC are on life support. Wayne is still a very solid wr2 or, at worst, one of the best flex/injury need guys you could have.

Whatever. People have been writing off Wayne for three years or more. Wayne's only fantasy issue is that he's been so rock steady for so long that people have gotten bored with him but come the season, he will be in that 85-95/1100/7 range. Guys likes Stephen hill and DMAC are on life support. Wayne is still a very solid wr2 or, at worst, one of the best flex/injury need guys you could have.
I don't know what Wayne will look like when he is recovered from his injury, but I'm damned sure that Hakeem Nick's slacker ### isn't going to bump him from the starting lineup.

I don't know what Wayne will look like when he is recovered from his injury, but I'm damned sure that Hakeem Nick's slacker ### isn't going to bump him from the starting lineup.
Exactly.

Another point to consider: Reggie Wayne has not been targeted less than 8 times a game since Luck got there. That is the definition of trust, confidence, security blanket. Makes Wayne very important to the team and that was obvious after he got hurt last year in how the team regressed.

Coeur de Lion said:
The contract Nicks signed tells us exactly what the NFL thinks he's worth -- less than Dexter McCluster and Andrew Hawkins.
Is that what you think of a healthy Hakeem Nicks too?I don't think Nicks would be dumb enough to sign with those teams by choice after this season in NY.

A lot of people seem to think Wayne is just going to roll out there and do what he has always done..............color me not so confident in that, not coming off major injury in less than a year at his age.

A lot of people seem to think Wayne is just going to roll out there and do what he has always done..............color me not so confident in that, not coming off major injury in less than a year at his age.
Agreed. Wayne is 35 years old turning 36 durning the season. To think he is going to come back to form is overly optimistic and down right crazy IMO. While still effective last year, it was clear he was slowing down. I think that slow down gets magnified this year because of Father Time and the injury recovery. The body simply doesn't heal as quickly when you get older. That's not to say he can't still play a solid role in the offense. I just think the optimism level is a bit crazy with him.

Users who are viewing this thread