What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is the read option here to stay? (1 Viewer)

Is the read option here to stay in the NFL game?

• Total voters

ImTheScientist

Footballguy
Curious what people think. Myself.....I think its here to stay. While there will always be a place for pure pocket passers the read option is being run through out all levels of football now. QBs are more athletic than ever, I don't see this as just a fad.

I think the answer is yes, but not as a focal point of an offence. Not an Oregon Ducks under Chip Kelly kind of thing, but something along the lines Seattle was running toward the end of the year.

Your premise is flawed. The read option isn't "here" as much as you think it is. Nobody is using it as a base offense, and nobody is moving closer to using it as a base offense. We got to see some of it in Seattle during the season, but they used it less near the end of the season when the team was playing better football. I believe we will see some more of it, but as more of a change up or a rarely used gimmick. Just enough to force other teams to have to prepare for it.

I stay no. There might be teams that always have it in their playbook but those plays won't really be used. Option offenses will be used but not the read option, or maybe the odd play but nothing serious.

Most of the time the read option involves a QB running or taking a hit. College it works better because you have a constant flow of talent and you can out athlete teams using the the read option. A NFL QB, has to be so much more and there is so few top quality QBs that teams can't afford to get them hurt.

The other problem with the read option is that it takes longer then usual if it is a pass. Which again can lead to lead to the QB getting hit but also it means the play takes longer to develop. Taking longer to develop can sometimes lead to positive broken plays but the QB hasn't been looking down field and might not be aware of what's going on and make a bad decision.

Another problem with the read option in the NFL is that it still requires a special talent. RG3 and Cam are the poster boys the Option in the NFL (I will save talking about Kap and Wilson for another time) and losing them puts their respective franchises in a tail spin for years and years. Some people will argue that pocket QBs still get hit when they get sacked but it's not the same. Defensive linemen are usually bigger but they aren't getting a unobstructed run at the QB most of the time.

Your QB isn't a position where you sub out either and he gets the ball every play so running around and getting tackled will fatigue a player that pretty much can't come off the field.

Just like everything else as soon as we see someone get hurt teams will start to pull the reigns in a bit on the option. Likely, we will see RG3 retire because overuse and misuse of him by the Shanahans.

Your premise is flawed. The read option isn't "here" as much as you think it is. Nobody is using it as a base offense, and nobody is moving closer to using it as a base offense. We got to see some of it in Seattle during the season, but they used it less near the end of the season when the team was playing better football.
It was used on a weekly basis by more than just Seattle, and I'm sure it will continue to be used going forward. It's "here" in the sense that teams are using it whereas 3 years ago they weren't. Two years ago only Denver was using it on a weekly basis. Last year Washington probably made the heaviest use of it with Seattle and SF following suit later in the year. So it is "here."

As to the bolded, I could be wrong but I thought Seattle began using it (at least more extensively) after they saw how much success Washington and RGIII had. There is an article buried in one of the playoff threads from last year indicating Seattle didn't really implement much of it until later in the year after they saw how Washington had so much success with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your premise is flawed. The read option isn't "here" as much as you think it is. Nobody is using it as a base offense, and nobody is moving closer to using it as a base offense. We got to see some of it in Seattle during the season, but they used it less near the end of the season when the team was playing better football. I believe we will see some more of it, but as more of a change up or a rarely used gimmick. Just enough to force other teams to have to prepare for it.
1) Seems you are puting words in my mouth.

2) Define "base offense"?

3) Seattle continued to use it thoughout the playoffs and if you look at first half of the season compaired to second half of the season the numbers will tell you it was used more in the 2nd half of the season.

Here to stay with the right QBs and the right creative coaches. It is just one more tool in the offensive arsenal. What does it matter if RGIII only actually runs the ball on one out of ten read option plays a game if he picks up 15 yds on that one run, and the defense has to play up on him on the other nine and he passes it or gives it to Morris. But very few QBs can fake like RGIII and implement the read with his speed and skill. So it is here to stay but only a few will really be able to use it properly.

Until I see otherwise, yes. Even Tebow won games. Makes me wonder how undervalued running QB have been in the NFL throughout recent history. The only coach with a answer to the read option last season was Jeff Fisher.

Seattle continued to use it thoughout the playoffs and if you look at first half of the season compaired to second half of the season the numbers will tell you it was used more in the 2nd half of the season.
Go back and watch the Atlanta and Washington playoff games again. I think you'll be surprised at how many times Wilson was lined up in the shotgun and ran the option.

Also, instead of breaking the season into halves, the better plan would be to break it into fourths. I agree they used the read option more often from games 9 through 12, but not down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Wilson was at his best from the pocket. Further, the Seahawks were at their best when Wilson was taking snaps from under center.

Define "base offense"?
For me "base offense" is what a team prefers to do in an attempt to dictate game tempo to the defense.

Perfect timing. Davis Hsu just posted this over at Field Gulls. Basics of the Seahawks offense. Hsu does a good job in this piece describing exactly what Seattle prefers to do on offense. It starts with Wilson under center running play action off the outside zone runs.

He does fantastic analysis all year long on the team, but if you really want to see his best work take the time to check out his breakdown of the salary cap.

I stay no. There might be teams that always have it in their playbook but those plays won't really be used. Option offenses will be used but not the read option, or maybe the odd play but nothing serious.

Most of the time the read option involves a QB running or taking a hit. College it works better because you have a constant flow of talent and you can out athlete teams using the the read option. A NFL QB, has to be so much more and there is so few top quality QBs that teams can't afford to get them hurt.

The other problem with the read option is that it takes longer then usual if it is a pass. Which again can lead to lead to the QB getting hit but also it means the play takes longer to develop. Taking longer to develop can sometimes lead to positive broken plays but the QB hasn't been looking down field and might not be aware of what's going on and make a bad decision.

Another problem with the read option in the NFL is that it still requires a special talent. RG3 and Cam are the poster boys the Option in the NFL (I will save talking about Kap and Wilson for another time) and losing them puts their respective franchises in a tail spin for years and years. Some people will argue that pocket QBs still get hit when they get sacked but it's not the same. Defensive linemen are usually bigger but they aren't getting a unobstructed run at the QB most of the time.

Your QB isn't a position where you sub out either and he gets the ball every play so running around and getting tackled will fatigue a player that pretty much can't come off the field.

Just like everything else as soon as we see someone get hurt teams will start to pull the reigns in a bit on the option. Likely, we will see RG3 retire because overuse and misuse of him by the Shanahans.
I agree with your logic, but if a team has a qb who isn't elite and is seen as either a filler or just not the future if the franchise, the read option might be perfect to win a few games. Injury replacement might be the ideal time to use it more if you have the right backup and have practiced it.

I don't think it will be used a lot in the future with top qbs, but it'll be in the arsenal for many teams.

Here's a good piece that gives some data. It counters what I was saying above about the frequency of the read option in Seattle, but it deals only with red-zone offense.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-breakdowns/2013/6/5/4398762/charting-the-seattle-seahawks-2012-red-zone-offense

This began to change with the evolution of the Read-Option run game. Before Week 14, Read-Option was only called twice in the Red Zone (once against New England in Week 6 and once against Chicago in Week 13, in Overtime).

However, this shifted noticeably beginning with Week 14, as the Seahawks called Read-Option multiple times per game (the lone exception was against STL WK17, one time) to much success.

WK 14: 3 car/48 yds
WK 15: 5 car/37 yds
WK 16: 4 car/17 yds
WK 17: 1 car/15 yds

Wild Card Round (WCR): 5 car/34 yds
Divisional Round (DIVR): 2 car/ 5 yds

The Read-Option was run out of 10, 11, 12, 20, 21 and 22 Personnel. For the season, the Read-Option stat line in the Red Zone is 22 carries for 157 yards with an average of 7.13 yards per play. 7+ yards per rushing attempt is a ridiculously high average but it's even more impressive that this was in the Red Zone, where the field is smaller and the opposing Defense is more condensed. It is for this reason I predict the Read-Option will be a featured part of the Seahawks Red Zone play calls in 2013.

I agree with your logic, but if a team has a qb who isn't elite and is seen as either a filler or just not the future if the franchise, the read option might be perfect to win a few games. Injury replacement might be the ideal time to use it more if you have the right backup and have practiced it.

I don't think it will be used a lot in the future with top qbs, but it'll be in the arsenal for many teams.
It should be in every teams playbook to some extent. As should the Wildcat and Pistol. Any wrinkle that can be thrown in to keep a defense guessing should be used. However, a team that wants to use a sub par (maybe even just non elite QB) is going to struggle regardless of what scheme they use. It's likely that a team using the read option to try and hide a lack of talent at QB is going to be forced to pass the ball anyways so most defenses will be putting 8 or 9 in the box to start, which isn't good for the read option.

Also, as a side note I should say that I am not hating on the read option. The Fly offense is one of favorites. It's a little more predetermined but can still done as a read.

Define "base offense"?
For me "base offense" is what a team prefers to do in an attempt to dictate game tempo to the defense.

Perfect timing. Davis Hsu just posted this over at Field Gulls. Basics of the Seahawks offense. Hsu does a good job in this piece describing exactly what Seattle prefers to do on offense. It starts with Wilson under center running play action off the outside zone runs.

He does fantastic analysis all year long on the team, but if you really want to see his best work take the time to check out his breakdown of the salary cap.
To that I would say the "pistol" was a portion of their "base" offense packages and I think it would still remain that way. They run the play action and zone read out of pistol and were doing it feaquently at the end of last year.

Seattle continued to use it thoughout the playoffs and if you look at first half of the season compaired to second half of the season the numbers will tell you it was used more in the 2nd half of the season.
Go back and watch the Atlanta and Washington playoff games again. I think you'll be surprised at how many times Wilson was lined up in the shotgun and ran the option.

Also, instead of breaking the season into halves, the better plan would be to break it into fourths. I agree they used the read option more often from games 9 through 12, but not down the stretch and in the playoffs.

Wilson was at his best from the pocket. Further, the Seahawks were at their best when Wilson was taking snaps from under center.
They didn't use it much in the ATL game because they were down 20. I saw quit a bit of it in the Redskin game. You yourself posted 5carries for 34 yards. They line up in the pistol plenty of times and also ran play action and read option off it a lot imo.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2013/jan/6/nfl-playoffs-how-redskins-couldnt-stop-seahawks-zo/

brohan i do not think so i think the d coordinators will catch up this year and basically just hit the living bajeezus out of qbs every time they roll out it will be like oh yeah you just pitched it but hey here is your randy macho man savage pile driver and treat qbs like leapin lenny poffel and i unfortuntely predict more injuries to read option qbs this year history has proven that when you run qbs they get hurt see vick see culpepper see cunningham see rg3 i just do not think a new system will change it and i think it will be like the run and shoot or sid and the air coyell boys and the wildcat it was neat and might hang on a little while but i think ds will catch up i would peronslly like more trick plays take that to the bank brohans

Apparently people forget that the T Formation has been around for a while. With the advancement of today's passing game, I think that the Read Option (IMO A passing variant of the classic 30s and 40s offenses) is here to stay. Moreover, I still believe we are moving to a QB who can pass and run the ball between the tackles. I think a QB that can attack the inside of the line is deadly to today's defensive schemes. The free safety just can't be in two places at once.

Does anyone have any sources for seeing who runs read option or zone read plays the most versus the least?

Also any breakdowns by game, etc.?

I just saw Dalton do it vs SD and that surprised me, I had no idea they were doing that.

How is this really broken down, or how would you describe it? It seems like a modern option play more or less, is it simply where the QB has the option to keep, handoff, or pass?

What distinguishes this from just being a traditional "option" play?

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Does anyone have any sources for seeing who runs read option or zone read plays the most versus the least?

Also any breakdowns by game, etc.?

I just saw Dalton do it vs SD and that surprised me, I had no idea they were doing that.

How is this really broken down, or how would you describe it? It seems like a modern option play more or less, is it simply where the QB has the option to keep, handoff, or pass?

What distinguishes this from just being a traditional "option" play?
Can't find much. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9911049/bill-barnwell-read-option-scheme

My view on the current NFL is that offenses want to be as complex as possible. That means having multi-threat players - QB's who can run, RB's who can catch, and WR's to can run the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread