What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It was a tremendous raid. (1 Viewer)

Why would it be politically motivated?

can we agree that Democrats are scared to death Trump will run - and a good chance he'll win - in 2024 ? We know for a fact Democrats in the past have done everything possible to get Trump out - unheard of things like Steele dossier right ?

there is a 6 year patten to daily smear Trump - be it something crude he said 14 years back, paying off an affair, filing taxes, decades old bankruptcy, color of his skin ....... it's very easy to see political motivation here and actually to ignore the obvious baffles me

sure, a few of the people might very well be appointed by Trump but to think Democrats aren't behind this? its like saying Monica/Bill really wasn't GOP, it was just following the law and legal system ..... please. they were head hunting Bill, and that's what this is as well
Why would Trump win in 2 1/2 years when he couldn't win coming off of his own term? We now have the January 6th information to further turn off moderates. If you're assuming the economy will still be in the crapper, I wouldn't hold out hope for that. If anything the economy has no where to go but up so we should be in great shape in 2024. And Biden's not running so he can't run against Biden being old or his record.

Not sure why Trump felt the need to take more than 2 dozen boxes of classified info in the first place but ok, he didn't know that was frowned upon. So when he was told to return the documents he decided he would hold on to roughly half of them. So what was his excuse this time?

this article says 15 boxes were recovered in Feb 2022 https://www.npr.org/2022/02/07/1078940308/trump-boxes-records-mar-a-lago-national-archives
Yes and apparently another 12 were recovered in the raid. Why didn't he just return all of them?

You didn't aske me but I would say at the very least Christopher Wray should lose his job and an investigation should be open into what his motives were and was there anyone above him calling the shots.

That said, the former president should not have been in possession of classified documents in the first place and then he didn't comply when asked to return them. He should face whatever ramifications there are for that.

we don't know what Trump was in possession of and the legality - that's speculation

could Merrick Garland have any reason for animosity towards Trump and Republicans ??

Not sure why Trump felt the need to take more than 2 dozen boxes of classified info in the first place but ok, he didn't know that was frowned upon. So when he was told to return the documents he decided he would hold on to roughly half of them. So what was his excuse this time?

this article says 15 boxes were recovered in Feb 2022 https://www.npr.org/2022/02/07/1078940308/trump-boxes-records-mar-a-lago-national-archives
and 12 boxes were taken in "the raid". That's 27 boxes.....his question remains.

And they just took 12 more. So 15+12=?

I'm willing to let this play out and see what comes of it but it better produce some serious results to raid a former President's home. It reeks of a political move and makes me very uneasy about the implications going forward but lets see what happens.

While that's a commendable attitude, isn't also a Catch 22? If the government doesn't show everyone "highly classified" documents they recovered, then the raid wasn't justified and it's a political move. If the government shows everyone the documents they recovered, they can't be that highly classified so they aren't "serious results" justifying the search.

You didn't aske me but I would say at the very least Christopher Wray should lose his job and an investigation should be open into what his motives were and was there anyone above him calling the shots.

That said, the former president should not have been in possession of classified documents in the first place and then he didn't comply when asked to return them. He should face whatever ramifications there are for that.

we don't know what Trump was in possession of and the legality - that's speculation

could Merrick Garland have any reason for animosity towards Trump and Republicans ??
I don't recall this level of political questioning when Hillary and other dems stuff was seized.

Why is EVERYTHING now some kind of attempt to get Trump? He brings it all on himself. I wish I had a devoted group like his does defending every single thing I did. Life would be much easier.

I'm willing to let this play out and see what comes of it but it better produce some serious results to raid a former President's home. It reeks of a political move and makes me very uneasy about the implications going forward but lets see what happens.

and if there are no serious results then what ?

And I agree with this. If they recover nothing of significance, Wray should get fired and an investigation opened.

Do you know what information was contained in the search warrant? What was relied on to secure the search warrant?

Yeah, it is. He turned over 15 boxes months ago and the Feds said, "What about the rest of them?" That's what led to the search.

but all through this thread people were talking about the Feds going in for 15 boxes ...... look back ..... 15 boxes has been what everyone has talked about and now maybe those 15 boxes were given back months ago ?

there appears to be no question that Trump had classified materials
plus its been reported that he has had Saudi and Russian government personnel at his property regularly

that's enough for me to go in and forcibly retrieve what he didn't turn over

but i hope there's more to the story

and 12 boxes were taken in "the raid". That's 27 boxes.....his question remains.

12 boxes of what ? we don't know

I thought all this thread it was 15 boxes of known papers Trump had .... is that wrong now ?
no idea what you're asking me....12 boxes of whatever was allowed in the warrant were taken from the property. His lawyer said the warrant referred to "presidential records" and "classified documents". It's pretty safe to assume the documents probably fell in those categories.

Yeah, it is. He turned over 15 boxes months ago and the Feds said, "What about the rest of them?" That's what led to the search.

but all through this thread people were talking about the Feds going in for 15 boxes ...... look back ..... 15 boxes has been what everyone has talked about and now maybe those 15 boxes were given back months ago ?
IF by "people" you mean you and Quick-hands, yeah. You're the only ones I could find who were confusing the two sets of documents. Everyone else seems to have had a pretty good grasp of the concept that he turned over some, but not all, of the documents he wrongfully took to MAL, and now the Feds wanted the rest.

Gotcha - so there are active launch codes there. Why didn’t you say so? You want ignorance? You just typed some.
:confused:

He typed "imagine there are launch codes". It is an example. He is not saying there actually are nuclear launch codes on the premises

IF by "people" you mean you and Quick-hands, yeah. You're the only ones I could find who were confusing the two sets of documents. Everyone else seems to have had a pretty good grasp of the concept that he turned over some, but not all, of the documents he wrongfully took to MAL, and now the Feds wanted the rest.

gotcha

so everyone here saying 15 boxes were just repeating what they've heard/read/watched ..... it wasn't 15 boxes at all

an example of misinformation ... and how speculation takes on the appearance of fact (we're all guilty of it, I am too)

if we were all wrong on the 15 boxes that the Feds went in for ... what else are we wrong on? i saw internet rumors of a mysterious unnamed informant in the last 24 hours ... man how convenient is that !!

gotcha

so everyone here saying 15 boxes were just repeating what they've heard/read/watched ..... it wasn't 15 boxes at all

an example of misinformation ... and how speculation takes on the appearance of fact (we're all guilty of it, I am too)

if we were all wrong on the 15 boxes that the Feds went in for ... what else are we wrong on? i saw internet rumors of a mysterious unnamed informant in the last 24 hours ... man how convenient is that !!
You realize they took a total of 27 boxes from Mar-A-Lago? Fifteen the first time, and an additional 12 this time.

Why would it be politically motivated? The FBI was appointed by Trump, so was the judge that approved it. These are Trump’s guys doing their job.

Do you really think that if this was someone else in possession of 12 boxes of Presidential records hidden when they took the first 15 boxes that they would be treated differently? If anything, Trump got more time because of his status.
Crucially however, Reinhart was not appointed by Trump.

Thanks. This was widely reported and yet all I kept seeing in this forum was “Trump Judge.” Hopefully, those echoing falsehoods they heard from former ESPN Anchors on Twitter will cease.
Its because he was installed in 2018 while Trump was POTUS. And yes, I will state that when I had stated I had read that he was appointed by Trump, that part was incorrect.
So you admit to spreading falsehoods and jumping to conclusions that fit your narrative?

gotcha

Huh?

It has been stated everywhere that that 15 boxes were recovered months ago.

What misinformation are you talking about?

and if there are no serious results then what ?

And I agree with this. If they recover nothing of significance, Wray should get fired and an investigation opened.
You get freebies on taking government documents and lying about it? Is no man above the law or is that just some kind of platitude? I think I know the answer unfortunately.

Why would it be politically motivated? The FBI was appointed by Trump, so was the judge that approved it. These are Trump’s guys doing their job.

Do you really think that if this was someone else in possession of 12 boxes of Presidential records hidden when they took the first 15 boxes that they would be treated differently? If anything, Trump got more time because of his status.

Thanks. This was widely reported and yet all I kept seeing in this forum was “Trump Judge.” Hopefully, those echoing falsehoods they heard from former ESPN Anchors on Twitter will cease.
Its because he was installed in 2018 while Trump was POTUS. And yes, I will state that when I had stated I had read that he was appointed by Trump, that part was incorrect.
So you admit to spreading falsehoods and jumping to conclusions that fit your narrative?
I admit when I stated I read he was appointed by Trump…that is what I had read. And that information was wrong…people assumed based on when he was installed. Thiugh, it reallybdoes nothingbto change thenloint that “the democrats” or Biden or “the left” aren’t the ones who did this.
So my narrative is still quite intact because the overall point is accurate.

yes, in a perfect world. There's no chance this could possibly be a dangerous precedent for future accusations.
As stated earlier, we all know that the GOP will take any ridiculous claim they make and turn it into a self-fulfilling prophecy when they have the power. And voters will reward them for doing so.

This, upon my superficial inspection... isn't anything deeper or more conspiratorial than a grifter grifting. Trump wanted to sell what was confiscated.
If he sold something classified, that's treason.

That is obviously speculation, but unfortunately I don't think we can dismiss it out of hand as a possibility.

Remember when he had a meeting with Putin and wouldn't allow any other US citizens in the room? No, unfortunately I don't think we can dismiss the possibility.

Huh?

so the raid wasn't looking for those 15 boxes .......... which Trump had admitted to having and returning months ago, correct ?

this raid then was looking for .... for what exactly ? I've been trying to read as much as I could on all this .... this seems a good article

so maybe the Fed's raided Trump's mar a lago home, broke into safes, went through his wife's closet and wardrobe and who knows what else for 12 boxes maybe .... and possibly just letters and memorabilia ?

I mean lets what if ...

what if they have only those items - can we agree this was extreme treatment and politically motivated and some serious repercussions from it ?

and

what if they have 12 boxes and there is sensitive/classified information, can we agree that actually would be criminal and Trump would need to be held accountable ?

can we agree that Democrats are scared to death Trump will run - and a good chance he'll win - in 2024 ? We know for a fact Democrats in the past have done everything possible to get Trump out - unheard of things like Steele dossier right ?

there is a 6 year patten to daily smear Trump - be it something crude he said 14 years back, paying off an affair, filing taxes, decades old bankruptcy, color of his skin ....... it's very easy to see political motivation here and actually to ignore the obvious baffles me

sure, a few of the people might very well be appointed by Trump but to think Democrats aren't behind this? its like saying Monica/Bill really wasn't GOP, it was just following the law and legal system ..... please. they were head hunting Bill, and that's what this is as well
Why would Trump win in 2 1/2 years when he couldn't win coming off of his own term? We now have the January 6th information to further turn off moderates. If you're assuming the economy will still be in the crapper, I wouldn't hold out hope for that. If anything the economy has no where to go but up so we should be in great shape in 2024. And Biden's not running so he can't run against Biden being old or his record.
The part that you are glossing over is that way too many people believe that he did win, or at least something very suspicious happened - including the person you are conversing with.

Trump has the warrant and the invnetory of what was taken. He could clear a lot up up today. And why wouldn't he? Innocent man.

time will tell - if there is nothing in those boxes, how stupid will this all look for the Fed's ? it'll reinforce what Trump has often said (and his supporters) about political motivation and Govt control/overreach right ?

Do you know what information was contained in the search warrant? What was relied on to secure the search warrant?

I don't know that anyone knows that information, do they ?
Trump has the warrant and the invnetory of what was taken. He could clear a lot up up today. And why wouldn't he? Innocent man.
If he wanted to prove he was being unfairly treated he could release the info on the warrant and the list of stuff that was taken. He is not doing that.

His prerogative of course but it leads you to think that he was indeed holding on to classified documents that should have never been taken and turned over when he was asked to

The implication going forward is that future ex-presidents will know they are no longer above the law.

That's a good thing.
yes, in a perfect world. There's no chance this could possibly be a dangerous precedent for future accusations.
If future accusations have enough evidence to get a judge to sign off on a warrant, then I'm fine with that.
Thankfully feds will never falsify evidence to obtain a warrant.
Yeah, that's probably what happened here.
I didn't say that's what happened. I said "will happen" meaning in the future.
Well it seems kinda strange to state it will happen in the future if you don't believe it happened now.

Also, what kind of precedent would it set if a former president is allowed to walk out of the WH with classified material without an attempt to retrieve it?

Huh?

so the raid wasn't looking for those 15 boxes .......... which Trump had admitted to having and returning months ago, correct ?

this raid then was looking for .... for what exactly ? I've been trying to read as much as I could on all this .... this seems a good article

so maybe the Fed's raided Trump's mar a lago home, broke into safes, went through his wife's closet and wardrobe and who knows what else for 12 boxes maybe .... and possibly just letters and memorabilia ?

I mean lets what if ...

what if they have only those items - can we agree this was extreme treatment and politically motivated and some serious repercussions from it ?

and

what if they have 12 boxes and there is sensitive/classified information, can we agree that actually would be criminal and Trump would need to be held accountable ?
As has been stated, Trump has a list of what was taken and a copy of warrant that lists what they're looking for. Trump could send out a "truth" showing exactly what was listed and be fully exonerated. I'm sure he's working on it.

Well it seems kinda strange to state it will happen in the future if you don't believe it happened now.

Also, what kind of precedent would it set if a former president is allowed to walk out of the WH with classified material without an attempt to retrieve it?
Further, what other laws are we going to allow ex-presidents (or presidential candidates) to ignore?

Should Trump be above the law because he claims enforcement is politically motivated?

Do people on the left truly believe this wasn’t politically motivated? Really? I would personally estimate that there is a 0% chance it was not. That Trump is still front and center on Democrat’s minds is astounding to me.
Have you ever handled classified data? Do you even understand what it is?

At it's basic core, our system of classification is to restrict access to information that, if public, would cause harm to the United States. The degree of harm is quantified by how it is classified. For example, Top Secret information is considered so sensitive that it's release would cause catastrophic harm to the country.

Improper storage of information that could cause catastrophic harm to the United States is a tremendously huge deal. Imagine something like nuclear launch codes, just sitting in an unlocked basement closet in a golf resort.

You're suggesting that the motivation for going and collecting those codes is somehow politically motivated. It isn't. In fact, that take is ignorant. Perhaps you are not understanding how serious that situation is, so I have explained it above. Or perhaps that ignorance is wilful, in which case you should ask yourself why you're blinding yourself.
Gotcha - so there are active launch codes there. Why didn’t you say so? You want ignorance? You just typed some.
It doesn't have to be launch codes. Classified is classified, just giving an example of something classified that has zero business being unsecured in Trump's basement.

No, we cannot agree with your premise.

I admit when I stated I read he was appointed by Trump…that is what I had read. And that information was wrong…people assumed based on when he was installed. Thiugh, it reallybdoes nothingbto change thenloint that “the democrats” or Biden or “the left” aren’t the ones who did this.
So my narrative is still quite intact because the overall point is accurate.
You catch a lot of trouble on these boards but I admire anyone with the fortitude to admit when they were wrong. It's a strength, not a weakness.

Note how the whole issue by Trump apologist is that the FBI raided his house. Not that everyone knows he has documents he shouldn't. Not that most of the folks deciding to and executing the raid are republicans. Not that a judge signed off on the warrant.

It's always always always Trump is being unfairly treated.

But if these folks could hear the Ukraine call and January 6th summoning to attack the capital and STILL think this way means they're beyond reason.

It's really SAD.

Do people on the left truly believe this wasn’t politically motivated? Really? I would personally estimate that there is a 0% chance it was not. That Trump is still front and center on Democrat’s minds is astounding to me.
Does it astound you that Trump is still front and center with prosecutors all over this nation?

time will tell - if there is nothing in those boxes, how stupid will this all look for the Fed's ? it'll reinforce what Trump has often said (and his supporters) about political motivation and Govt control/overreach right ?
And if Trump doesn't publish the inventory showing that there was "nothing" in the boxes, it will look stupid for him, Fox News and all those defending him and reinforce that he really is a criminal and a liar who has misled his supporters, right?

The rest of the documents the he had but wouldnt give back. This isnt difficult.

so they knew Trump had 15 boxes and those were returned and they knew he had 12 more ?

or they didn't know what he had, but wanted to conduct an 8 hour search warrant through his home, closets, wardrobes, safes and who knows what else to find maybe something that might possible maybe might be there ?

And if Trump doesn't publish the inventory showing that there was "nothing" in the boxes, it will look stupid for him, Fox News and all those defending him and reinforce that he really is a criminal and a liar who has misled his supporters, right?

its naïve for any of us to say " well Trump should just __________ "

he has teams of lawyers telling him what to do and not to do, correct ?

question to liberal/left - do ya'll think this is finally the "gotcha" moment that ya'll have been waiting 5 1/2 years for? the thing that takes Trump down ?

The rest of the documents the he had but wouldnt give back. This isnt difficult.

so they knew Trump had 15 boxes and those were returned and they knew he had 12 more ?

or they didn't know what he had, but wanted to conduct an 8 hour search warrant through his home, closets, wardrobes, safes and who knows what else to find maybe something that might possible maybe might be there ?
They knew he had more. I dont know if they knew how much more. Even possession of ONE document is a violation of PRA. That needs to be addressed.....law and order right?

They knew he had more, not 12 more, because its likely one of his own snitched on him. Looking at you, Mark Meadows! And guess what they found? Twelve more boxes of materials that matched the items in the warrant a judge signed off on, as well as his own FBI director.

I don’t think you understand how search warrants work.

The body of the warrant will not give permission to search for anything the FBI wants. There will be specificity of what the agents are to search for. And there will be a basis for probable cause.

Users who are viewing this thread