What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's a Wonderful Life (1 Viewer)

1) - We all know that the Alistar Sim version pales in comparison to the George C. Scott version. The definitive Christmas Carol leaderboard goes:

1. George C. Scott (darned near perfect)
  2. Scrooge - Albert Finney (Finney does a better job of just making Scrooge be feeble and a miserly ****)
  3. Sims Version - Well done....but more like a play than a television show/movie.
  4. Mickey's Christmas Carol
  5. A Muppet Christmas Carol
  6. A Christmas Carol w. Patrick Stewart. Stewart hams it up too much.
2) - It's a Wonderful Life is a Christmas movie. The key themes of it run parallel with traditional Christmas values and key points of if take place during the Christmas season. It's not like other movies that take place during the Christmas season that wouldn't be considered Christmas movies (Die Hard, Trading Places, Lethal Weapon.)....it's more akin to Christmas movies like The Ref.
1. Alastair Sim version

2. George C. Scott version

3. 1938 version with Reginald Owen

Haven't seen the Patrick Stewart version. or the Albert Finney version (To my knowledge), but I may check it out.
Finney's is a musical, so it turns people off....but there's a lot of little things he does that makes the character. Plus, Alec Guinness as Marley.

Thunderlips said:
1) - We all know that the Alistar Sim version pales in comparison to the George C. Scott version. The definitive Christmas Carol leaderboard goes:

2. Scrooge - Albert Finney (Finney does a better job of just making Scrooge be feeble and a miserly ****)
  3. Sims Version - Well done....but more like a play than a television show/movie.
2) - It's a Wonderful Life is a Christmas movie. The key themes of it run parallel with traditional Christmas values and key points of if take place during the Christmas season. It's not like other movies that take place during the Christmas season that wouldn't be considered Christmas movies (Die Hard, Trading Places, Lethal Weapon.)....it's more akin to Christmas movies like The Ref.
Absolute blasphemy. The Sims version is widely regarded as the best. I hate the Scott version. Finney was pretty good though.

Thunderlips said:

Absolute blasphemy. The Sims version is widely regarded as the best. I hate the Scott version. Finney was pretty good though.
What don't you like about Scott?

If you've ever fallen in love with a woman, got married, had kids, and then realized how rich these things made you, you just might enjoy this movie.

If you're single and living in your mom's basement, you probably can't relate.

Mr. Retukes said:
Jules Winnfield said:
Why don't you look up how long this film has been shown during the holiday season AND look up why it started to be shown during the holiday time. The movie has nothing to do with Christmas

Because one ####### day takes place on Christmas
I'd be interested in seeing the list of movies that include more than one day of Christmas.
The only one I could think of off the top of my head was The Santa Clause. Two Christmases in that one, right?

Jules Winnfield said:
Baa Baa Baa"I like the movie because everyone says that I have to and it plays during Christmas even though it isn't a Christmas film"

The movie is tripe
:fishing:
Not fishingIt isn't a Christmas film and the movie is not good. It's sugar filled crap
Well, wtf is it then? An Arbor Day film? An Easter film? A Rosh Hasanah film? An Independence Day film?
Because one ####### day takes place on Christmas in this stupid ####### film?Why don't you look up how long this film has been shown during the holiday season AND look up why it started to be shown during the holiday time. The movie has nothing to do with Christmas
Your obsession with this is weird. Why the #### do you care if people like it?

Thunderlips said:

What don't you like about Scott?
Just doesn't work for me. I like Scott as an actor. I usually enjoy his work. Can't quite put my finger on why I don't like this one.

Every year we watch It's a Wonderful Life and White Christmas (my wife added The Sound of Music to the list but I have never understood why that is considered a Christmas movie) as part of our family tradition.

This movie is definitive proof social brainwashing works. I'll bet if you only had a few channels to choose from and some network started playing 'After Earth' hundreds of times, folks would soon start considering it a cinematic classic.

This movie is definitive proof social brainwashing works. I'll bet if you only had a few channels to choose from and some network started playing 'After Earth' hundreds of times, folks would soon start considering it a cinematic classic.
What is this brainwashing you speak of?

Playing this awful, emotionally manipulative pile of dreck so many times the public convinced themselves it's a great movie.

Playing this awful, emotionally manipulative pile of dreck so many times the public convinced themselves it's a great movie.
That's not how brainwashing works.

:confused:

It's on once a year.

After years of seeing bits and pieces of it, I finally sat down and watched it a few years ago.

Loved it.

Haven't watched it since. Maybe I will this year.

Still haven't seen A Christmas Story though.

Meh....the "public domain" blitz of the 1980s early 90s excuse is overrated.

After years of seeing bits and pieces of it, I finally sat down and watched it a few years ago.

Loved it.

Haven't watched it since. Maybe I will this year.

Still haven't seen A Christmas Story though.
A Christmas Story is excellent. It has the Jambo seal of approval so you will not regret seeing it.

It's on once a year.
They are nuts

It's on once a year.
This used to be in the public domain up until sometime in the 90's I think. It used to be on all the time on what seemed every channel before that.

It's on once a year.
This used to be in the public domain up until sometime in the 90's I think. It used to be on all the time on what seemed every channel before that.
Like what, 20 years ago?

IIRC the entire movie takes place on Christmas Eve night. It starts with the prayers after George storms out of the house on Christmas eve, and everything else is a flashback (head angel reviewing George's life for Clarence's preparation) until George jumps off the bridge (also on Christmas Eve).

IIRC the entire movie takes place on Christmas Eve night. It starts with the prayers after George storms out of the house on Christmas eve, and everything else is a flashback (head angel reviewing George's life for Clarence's preparation) until George jumps off the bridge (also on Christmas Eve).
George didn't jump to kill himself, he jumped to save Clarence, thus starting the events to him wanting to live again

George didn't jump to kill himself, he jumped to save Clarence, thus starting the events to him wanting to live again
But Clarence jumped because George was going to jump. Brilliant gambit by Clarence that paid off. Guy should have gotten his wings right then and there IMO.

But Clarence jumped because George was going to jump. Brilliant gambit by Clarence that paid off. Guy should have gotten his wings right then and there IMO.
:goodposting:

bentley said:
Agree with whoever said this movie is a turd. Unfortunately the inlaws love it.
Well, in despising the best and most heartwarming Christmas movie of all time, and spending your Thanksgiving in line to save 15 bucks on a 26 inch television, you've clearly shown us where your priorities lie Brent.

#effingbentley

bentley said:
Well, in despising the best and most heartwarming Christmas movie of all time, and spending your Thanksgiving in line to save 15 bucks on a 26 inch television, you've clearly shown us where your priorities lie Brent.

#effingbentley
God bless us all, every one O.

bentley said:

#effingbentley
God bless us all, every one O.
:hifive:

Amen, brother. Merry Christmas to the B

Got my Scrooge on man I love that movie. Anyway Merry Christmas to all the fans of Wonderful Life. Here's to hoping the gifts are way better than the movie.

I'm just kidding I hope you enjoyed your movie as much as I did mine. I hope everyone has a great Christmas surrounded by family and friends.

Users who are viewing this thread