What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

If there isn't some sort of injury that can heal and this is all he has left he will retire. The guy has too much pride to continue like this. It's sad to see him go out like this but it seems he fell off the cliff this year.
He could play another year but not at the level we, or far more important, he, expects. He could probably lead the Broncos to the playoffs again. But his days of dominating are over - unless there's an injury he's been dealing with.

To go out against the Colts, he can probably deal with that.

Andrew Luck bests Peyton Manning; Colts to play Pats

Excerpt:

This game rivals a 41-0 shutout loss to the Jets in 2003 for the least effective of Manning's illustrious 17-year career. Whether it's a tired arm or the lingering quadriceps injury draining his power, the five-time MVP hasn't been right since uncorking a career-high 155 passes over a three-game span from Weeks 9 to 11. The Colts took away the middle of the field, forcing Manning to loft a series of off-target floaters down the sideline. Manning now has nine "one-and-done" playoff appearances, equaling the number of AFC Championship Games for Tom Brady. No other quarterback has lost his first playoff game more than four times.

I hope he sticks around. I think he still has something left. Favre looked done at one point and had about 5 more good years.
Disagree...when Favre looked like this...it was his last year.
2005 Favre had 6.4 YPA a big drop from his previous years. 29 INTs to only 20 INTs and led his team to 4 wins. Rodgers was there and retirement talk was in full swing. He played 5 more years with some good teams.

To be fair Peyton almost always earns a bye, which should count for a W in my book but I'm betting the elevated competition from the thinned field has at least something to do with his stats being poorer in the playoffs.
Exactly and his playoffs stats aren't even bad:64% completions, 38 TD, 25 INT, 7.4 YPA
compared to his regular season stats they're pathetic
So are Brady's. In fact the drop in QB rating for Peyton from the regular season to the postseason is almost identical to the drop in QB rating for Brady from the regular season to postseason.

It's a shame that Peyton couldn't pick up a couple cheap ones as a game manager behind a great defense early on so people would ignore the next 10 years of mediocre playoff play for him like they do for Brady.

Regular season

Peyton: 97.5

Brady: 95.9

Playoffs

Peyton: 89.2

Brady: 88.0
People aren't looking at his stats when judging him in the postseason, fyi

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, hate to see him look like this. Reminds me of greats like Marino, who stayed a few years too long. Manning regressed tremendously near the end of this season. He looks like he's lost a good deal of strength in his deep ball. His accuracy tonight was terrible overall (to be fair, Rodgers didn't exactly look stellar either, but he has an annoying calf injury).

If he is given the greenlight health-wise, I don't see why not giving it another season. But the end is definitely near. After this season or the next methinks. :(

To be fair Peyton almost always earns a bye, which should count for a W in my book but I'm betting the elevated competition from the thinned field has at least something to do with his stats being poorer in the playoffs.
Exactly and his playoffs stats aren't even bad:64% completions, 38 TD, 25 INT, 7.4 YPA
So are Brady's. In fact the drop in QB rating for Peyton from the regular season to the postseason is almost identical to the drop in QB rating for Brady from the regular season to postseason.

It's a shame that Peyton couldn't pick up a couple cheap ones as a game manager behind a great defense early on so people would ignore the next 10 years of mediocre playoff play for him like they do for Brady.

Regular season

Playoffs

Oh right, I forgot, W/L are all that matters.

Which is why we can all agree that Eli Manning is the best quarterback of all-time.

The guy is 1st class all around, wouldn't mind one more season from it but I think its going to only get tougher for him to get that 2nd ring.

Regular season

Playoffs

Which is why we can all agree that Eli Manning is the best quarterback of all-time.
I get annoyed by the W/L is all that matters in the playoffs for qbs but you must admit that Peyton hasn't been the same qb in the playoffs that he was during the regular season. He's not the only one but they really should have won another ring or 2 in Indy.

Regular season

Playoffs

I think as a QB PPG is a pretty important stat. And a lot of Peyton's teams didn't score much in the playoffs.

In 13 losses his team had scored 20 or more points 2 times. In 11 wins his team has scored 20 or more points 10 times.

Brady has a better record there. In 8 losses he has scored 20 or more points twice. In 19 wins he has scored 20 or more 17 times.

@CecilLammey: I'm going to guess that Peyton Manning does not return for the 2015 season. #Broncos I just have a feeling that he's done.

I hope he sticks around. I think he still has something left. Favre looked done at one point and had about 5 more good years.
2005 Favre had 6.4 YPA a big drop from his previous years. 29 INTs to only 20 INTs and led his team to 4 wins. Rodgers was there and retirement talk was in full swing. He played 5 more years with some good teams.
2005 of Favre looked nothing like Manning down the stretch.

And he was incredible in 2007...and never lost the velocity on his passes.

Manning's passes have always been a bit wobbly and weak...but look even worse now.

Manning's passes have always been a bit wobbly and weak...but look even worse now.
A lot of my thought is because I think the thigh injury is affecting his throws. I could be wrong though.

Regular season

Playoffs

If Manning and Brady have similar stats, yet Brady has 9 Afc championship games and Peyton has 9 one and dones, it's hard for that not to tell the story. We both know how important the qb position is in the NFL.

Manning is a great player. But if he's a 10 in the regular season, he's a 7 or 8 in the postseason. He doesn't step up his game and he rarely ever has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_6LcGbHxR8

Manning cannot do this at this time.

Rotoworld:

Peyton Manning was noncommittal on his playing future following the Broncos' playoff loss to the Colts.

"I can't answer every what-if circumstance," said Manning, who turns 39 in two months. "What if you're not as healthy? What if certain coaches leave? I can't answer every what-if situation. I think I'll have to take some time to see how I feel, see how I feel physically." The Broncos are tentatively expected to move on from John Fox, which could affect Manning's decision. We would guess the Broncos want Manning back -- at least for one more year -- despite his hefty $19 million base salary.

Source: Denver Post
Jan 11 - 8:56 PM

This article was published on Nov. 4:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-problem-facing-peyton-manning-1415130924

Since the Denver Broncos were destroyed in the Super Bowl nine months ago, they’ve been assembling a team to match up with the reigning champs, the Seattle Seahawks.

But at the same time, something else has been going on around the NFL: Everyone has been building a team to beat Peyton Manning.

In the constant personnel chess match that goes on among the NFL’s 32 front offices, this is the trend that has defined the past year. Manning, the Broncos’ record-setting quarterback, was neutralized in the Super Bowl by Seattle’s huge, hulking cornerbacks, who disrupted his receivers’ timing. The rest of the NFL—which has a long tradition of mimicking the Super Bowl champion—decided they needed some disruption of their own.

The spread of these monster defensive backs, and the fast-changing way defense is played in the NFL, is now the norm. And that’s bad news for Manning.

This was obvious on Sunday, when the New England Patriots frustrated Manning and the Broncos, turning a much-anticipated showdown into a surprisingly lopsided 43-21 victory.At first glance, it seems crazy to say that the deck is stacked against Manning. The Broncos are 6-2, they remain atop the AFC West division and Manning, 38, is in the midst of one of his best seasons statistically. But between the way that defenses are loading up on big defensive backs and how referees are calling the game, the general direction of the league this season doesn’t favor Manning. In a sense, the effects of the Broncos’ 43-8 Super Bowl loss are ongoing.

Under Manning, the Denver offense is based on precise timing and effective route-running. Defensively, there is one prescription: impeding the Broncos’ receivers at the line of scrimmage. Not every team is equipped to do it, but when it’s done right, Manning becomes mortal. Only one other time this season have the Broncos been held to so few points: their 26-20 overtime defeat in Week 3 to Seattle.

This isn’t an accident. The Patriots spent the off-season trying to emulate the Seahawks, going so far as to sign 6-foot-4 cornerback Brandon Browner, who was part of Seattle’s dominating defense last season until a substance-abuse suspension kept him out of the playoffs. Not surprisingly, he was the key to stopping Manning on Sunday. According to Pro Football Focus, a statistical tracking service, Manning had a 49.4 quarterback rating when throwing toward Browner.

The Broncos might have made the game more competitive, but they failed on four crucial fourth-down plays. The common thread in three of those: a physical cornerback disrupting the play.

“A team like [the Broncos], who have so many weapons and their passing game can get going…it’s big to try to throw off the timing,” said Patriots defensive back Devin McCourty.

The changing defenses have hurt Manning’s ability to run some of his signature plays. Manning threw an NFL-record 55 touchdown passes last season, in large part, thanks to a scheme known as a “pick” play, in which a receiver runs a route designed to knock an opposing defender off his course, rendering him unable to defend a second receiver Teams noticed—the play became widely used. But referees noticed, too. NFL officials are on pace to call 125 offensive pass-interference calls this season. That would be a 64% increase from last season.

The play has a target on its back, and whether through coincidence or strategy, the Broncos’ production off that and similar plays has plummeted. Last season, Denver led the league in yards after catch. This season, the Broncos are 18th in that category, and only three teams have a fewer percentage of their receiving yards coming after the catch.

While there was an off-season rule change that favors offenses, Manning and the Broncos can’t really take advantage of that, either.

After the Seahawks were criticized last season for making too much contact with receivers downfield, the NFL announced a renewed emphasis on the illegal-contact penalty, which bars defenses from making significant contact with a receiver more than 5 yards downfield. But the Broncos throw most of their passes within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, where such contact is allowed. Denver has been the beneficiary of only one illegal-contact call all season.

To be sure, Manning will almost certainly have another MVP-caliber season. The Broncos look like locks to win the AFC West—their top competition, the San Diego Chargers, came into the season with the shortest cornerbacks in the league.

But the league’s top teams seem to have found a way to stop Manning when it matters most. Patriots coach Bill Belichick’s masterstroke, according to New England players, was jamming Denver’s receivers at the line but playing enough zone coverage as to confuse Manning.

It was clear that Manning was discombobulated when the Patriots occasionally shifted to zone defense. His low point of the day was a dreadful second-quarter interception thrown to pass-rusher Rob Ninkovich, who had dropped back in coverage.

It was an awful day for Manning, but it could yet get worse.

I don't hang out in the Shark Pool much other than the playoffs and early off-season. Is there some kind of weird meta-shtick with re-posing Rotoworld material? Or is this an attempt at making Staff? It's really off-putting regardless.

He should conduct his next press conference entirely to the tune of the Nationwide jingle.

"Now it's time for me to go"

"Denver doesn't want me back"

"Ready for retirement"

I don't hang out in the Shark Pool much other than the playoffs and early off-season. Is there some kind of weird meta-shtick with re-posing Rotoworld material? Or is this an attempt at making Staff? It's really off-putting regardless.
I think you're off on this assessment. Faust does great work in many threads posting articles on many players. Lots of Faust fans here.

If all he has left is what we saw tonight he is done. Add to that the fact he may be even worse next year after all of the sudden he can't throw the ball even 35 yards down field. I have never seen a great player get this bad so quickly. If this is all he has I say he retires, records be damned.
He started off the season great, not far off of last year's pace, and at one point had 36 TDs, 9 INTs, but after that he closed out the year with 3 TDs and 6 INTs. Although older players do lose skill, it's hard to believe that would account for such an abrupt and significant change in level of play. He obviously suffered a physical ailment, whether it was injury, arm issues resurfacing, or whatever - but the problem for him is that at his age, with time, such issues just become more and more likely to occur.

It's similar to Steve Nash, whose ability to play at a high level as he approached 40 was marveled at, but once he got injured shortly after becoming a Laker, it all went quickly downhill from there.

yeah, they hate rotoworld but love when he reposts it over here so they don't have to click a bookmark

weird psychology

I wish I could remember who said it now, but I swear I read on Twitter a few days ago something from a reporter about how after a Denver practice, he was more concerned about Manning's health than that of Aaron Rodgers. My guess is that Denver covered up an injury of some sort.

The Shark Pool (NFL Talk) - the whole purpose for this forum is to discuss NFL related topics (the majority with a fantasy football slant, of course). I am well known for aggregating information from a diverse range of sources (not just rotoworld) - which helps to keep others here informed and it also helps to spur the debate and discussion on these topics.

I am not sure why this would be "off-putting" to you.

Does it seem to anyone else that this really started this year when Peyton went in for that block at the goal line against SD, it was a weird play like a TE reverse or maybe CJA reversed field and came back across to the left side of the line and PM tried to "block" a LBer.

It seemed to me that starting with the next drive, that game, that Manning was more limited, it's like the season was divided in two, before that play and after.

I wish I could remember who said it now, but I swear I read on Twitter a few days ago something from a reporter about how after a Denver practice, he was more concerned about Manning's health than that of Aaron Rodgers. My guess is that Denver covered up an injury of some sort.
Isn't that not allowed?

seems pretty obvious to me that he's hurt.

Similar to Favre's year with the Jets. They were 8-3 and on their way to playoffs and then he tore his bicep. They never officially announced it but it was painfully obvious that something was wrong. They lost 4 of 5 down the stretch to miss the playoffs (with favre throwing 2 TD's and 9 picks) and then Favre's injury was made public.

Hope he comes back next year to pad his regular season stats and so guys like me can continue to profit off his predictable postseason awfulness.

Does it seem to anyone else that this really started this year when Peyton went in for that block at the goal line against SD, it was a weird play like a TE reverse or maybe CJA reversed field and came back across to the left side of the line and PM tried to "block" a LBer.

It seemed to me that starting with the next drive, that game, that Manning was more limited, it's like the season was divided in two, before that play and after.
to me it was the Rams game, I think he got hurt in that one

I think he comes back, and the Broncos make another run at it.

I doubt he thinks he's done. They have a team built to win now, what are the broncos going to do, hand it over to Brock Osweiler?

DT ain't going anywhere, and Julius might be going somewhere, but the fact is, they are one of the best teams in the league, and Manning is their best chance to win the whole thing.
If Manning goes the Broncos will have the money to retain both Thomases and maybe pick up an impact F.A. If he stays they will be lucky to retain one of them. Tough call on which would be a better team short term.

I think he comes back, and the Broncos make another run at it.

I doubt he thinks he's done. They have a team built to win now, what are the broncos going to do, hand it over to Brock Osweiler?

DT ain't going anywhere, and Julius might be going somewhere, but the fact is, they are one of the best teams in the league, and Manning is their best chance to win the whole thing.
If Manning goes the Broncos will have the money to retain both Thomases and maybe pick up an impact F.A. If he stays they will be lucky to retain one of them. Tough call on which would be a better team short term.
They could structure both so they could afford them and Peyton for one more year.

He'll be back. He's been hurt for a month and a half. The whole team hit the wall. Mentally never the same after the massacre in New England.

This guy thinks he owns the place.

Users who are viewing this thread