What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

he will be back to pad his stats, his arm may be cooked but he is still better than 90% of the QBs that will be starting next season. 10 years after he retires the tv announcers wont be talking about the his ducks barely making it 20 yards down the field they will be blowing him over his unreachable records. when emmitt smith is on TV everyone thinks of him as a cowboy with rings, not an old and slow arizona cardinal with 2 ypc, will be the same way with peyton.

I think he comes back, and the Broncos make another run at it.

I doubt he thinks he's done. They have a team built to win now, what are the broncos going to do, hand it over to Brock Osweiler?

DT ain't going anywhere, and Julius might be going somewhere, but the fact is, they are one of the best teams in the league, and Manning is their best chance to win the whole thing.
If Manning goes the Broncos will have the money to retain both Thomases and maybe pick up an impact F.A. If he stays they will be lucky to retain one of them. Tough call on which would be a better team short term.
They have money to retain both of them, if they want to.

If he goes, why would any player rush to Denver? They may as well make another run at it now.

I hope he retires. It's been a great career, but he just looks spent to me. Started out great Sep/Oct, but he appeared to wear down this last month and a half. DEN tried to hide it with the run-heavy approach, but it was exposed today when they were down but multiple scores in the 2nd half.

He's due $19 million next season at 39-plus years old? Use that money try and keep the Thomas'

Last edited by a moderator:
He ain't done. I think he's been injured. Hope like heck he comes back next year. I love the guy for what he brings to the game.

It's a shame that Peyton couldn't pick up a couple cheap ones as a game manager behind a great defense early on so people would ignore the next 10 years of mediocre playoff play for him like they do for Brady.
Or for that matter, a couple cheap ones as a game manager behind a great defense late so people would ignore the crappy first 10 years of his career like they do for Elway.

How long after retirement until he becomes a coach? Or will he go to the booth first? Seems like a coach more then broadcaster. Even as an assistant to the QB coach to start off with or something.

I have a hard time believing Peyton's last game will be against the Colts. It just seems so sad.
But fitting. Passing the torch onto Luck. The young generation taking over the old. It's got all the storylines you could want.

Then plot twist, he becomes the assistant QB coach for the colts next year, then the qb coach, then offensive coordinator and him and luck win a title in 3 years in indy.

He finished the last 8 games as QB12 in Average PPG in my league.

Seeing him crumble down the stretch.... where would you slot him next year?

Surely no longer Top 5 QB come draft day..........

I think a lot depends on the offseason. If he has surgery, If they announce he was injured, and if this injury is healed, etc.

If no injury or new news comes up, and he just goes into next year like this, I'd probably slot him around QB 5-10. In with the Ben's, Ryans, Etc.

I think a lot depends on the offseason. If he has surgery, If they announce he was injured, and if this injury is healed, etc.

If no injury or new news comes up, and he just goes into next year like this, I'd probably slot him around QB 5-10. In with the Ben's, Ryans, Etc.
If there is no injury it's possible Eli becomes the better QB next year. :mindblown:

This is the 9th time out of 14 that he has been one and done in the playoffs, 6 of those 9 were at home.
Crazy stat line for sure, but it also shouldn't be missed that he GOT to the playoffs that many times. Not a lot of QBs have that resume.

I think it is kind of funny how his brother is the opposite. Looks ho hum all year long but, boy, you put the Giants in the playoffs and he becomes unstoppable.

I don't think he's a choker. Its just a high bench mark and you need a lot to win it all.

I am not a Peyton fan but have enjoyed watching one of the best QBs of all time over the years. Even as a Raider fan, I want to see Peyton come back.

If Peyton's demise was due to his arm getting tired by the end of the season and not injury, Denver should have relied less on Peyton's arm for the first half of the season. They should have ran the ball more.

Mentioned by others several times, but I think he's been banged up... whether the Rams game or before, I think there was an injury and the team has hid it the whole second half. He looked just as good as ever the first two months of the season, and Denver will find a way to bring back both Thomases and Peyton - give it one more go.

i never thought i would say this, but he looked like he gave up today.
I think his body language indicated that he knows his body is breaking down. The Rams beat the hell out of him back in November and he was never the same since.
Yeah, you can almost timestamp that as when it went south. He DID look very uncharacteristically "beat" at the end yesterday. The fire was extinguished. You could just tell it.

I think I saw a stat line of 4TD:6INT over the last five weeks. That is almost inconceivable (I don't think that word means what I think it does)....

i never thought i would say this, but he looked like he gave up today.
I think his body language indicated that he knows his body is breaking down. The Rams beat the hell out of him back in November and he was never the same since.
Yeah, you can almost timestamp that as when it went south. He DID look very uncharacteristically "beat" at the end yesterday. The fire was extinguished. You could just tell it.

I think I saw a stat line of 4TD:6INT over the last five weeks. That is almost inconceivable (I don't think that word means what I think it does)....
Yeah the 4:6 ratio over the last 5 games is very un Peytonlike. I mean how many other 5 game stretches in his career do you see 4 TDs over 5 games? Over 5 games, he's usually good for at least 10.

Peyton Manning - QB - Broncos

Sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter that Peyton Manning has been playing through a torn right quad for the last month.

Manning sustained the injury during the first half of a Week 15 win at San Diego. In the four games since then, he threw a paltry four touchdowns and was intercepted four times. In the 13 previous games, he threw 36 touchdowns against 11 interceptions. An inability to drive off his plant leg may have contributed to the drastic downturn in effectiveness and arm strength. However, Manning was practicing in full and brushed off the injury any time he was asked about it. The future Hall of Famer still heads into the offseason with plenty of question marks.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter Jan 12 - 10:58 AM
And out come the face-saving excuses like clockwork.

Sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter that Peyton Manning has been playing through a torn right quad for the last month.

Manning sustained the injury during the first half of a Week 15 win at San Diego. In the four games since then, he threw a paltry four touchdowns and was intercepted four times. In the 13 previous games, he threw 36 touchdowns against 11 interceptions. An inability to drive off his plant leg may have contributed to the drastic downturn in effectiveness and arm strength. However, Manning was practicing in full and brushed off the injury any time he was asked about it. The future Hall of Famer still heads into the offseason with plenty of question marks.

Was waiting for this reaction.

I have a hard time believing Peyton's last game will be against the Colts. It just seems so sad.
But fitting. Passing the torch onto Luck. The young generation taking over the old. It's got all the storylines you could want.

Then plot twist, he becomes the assistant QB coach for the colts next year, then the qb coach, then offensive coordinator and him and luck win a title in 3 years in indy.
You know I have never viewed Manning as a guy that would coach or announce. Just seems to me the great ones rarely have that side in them (like they are so good and so demanding that most of their pupils would never live up to it).

BUT, with that being said, it would be really interesting to see Manning work with one of the great young QBs in the league and see if that bore any fruit.

Of course it's coming. You can't brush off an injury as no big deal for a whole month, and then say, no, wait a minute, it was a big deal. It's typical face-saving bull#### not to mention makes a mockery of the already a joke NFL injury reports. Hurt or not, he didn't get it done. End of story.

Not surprising to anyone I wouldn't think BUT, if it is true, the NFL must investigate because it sure wasn't reported that he had the injury. If he knows today it was torn for a month then it should have been reported, not "P. Manning, probable (thigh strain).

So a quad strain explains the poor last month and a half?
That's my feeling. One of two things happened. He either went from having one of his best seasons of his career for the first half of the season to a guy who isn't even close to the top QBs in the league discussion. Or he was injured. I've never seen a guy fall off that fast personally. So even before the quad talk injury seemed a lot more likely to me at least.

Great in season QB but in playoffs not so much. This will be his legacy sorry but it's true.

You know I have never viewed Manning as a guy that would coach or announce. Just seems to me the great ones rarely have that side in them (like they are so good and so demanding that most of their pupils would never live up to it).

BUT, with that being said, it would be really interesting to see Manning work with one of the great young QBs in the league and see if that bore any fruit.
Wow, surprised you don't see him as a guy that would coach. If there's one player in the NFL right now who I think is guaranteed to become a coach, I would think it was Peyton. Has nothing to do with his talent, but he is a leader, and a smart football mind. He's been coaching other nfl players for years at his qb camp, and kids qb camps as well. Seems like a no brainer to me that he'll be coaching somewhere within the next 5 years.

One other thing of interest. They're saying the quad happened week 15 but many point to week 11 against the Rams as when the different Manning began.

Great in season QB but in playoffs not so much. This will be his legacy sorry but it's true.
Sure it will be. Of course, as a fan, I can see that Peyton played in likely the weakest division in football for most of those years and the Colts racked up wins and secured home field when in reality they were paper champions. Manning carried these teams on his back and had a great offense. Looking back, I wish we'd have had more defense.

Brady has been in a similar situation, except that he has the benefit of better coaching and better defenses.

Sad to see the end coming into focus for these 2 great QBs. One likely sooner than the other.

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing your NFL Sunday Countdown crew for 2015. I'm your host Chris Berman,with me this year Hall of famer Cris Carter,The Coach Mike Ditka,joining us for his 85th year Tom Jackson and our newest member soon-to-be Hall of Famer Peyton Manning. We'd like to wish Just Throw Me The Damn Ball the best of luck in his new endeavor.

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing your NFL Sunday Countdown crew for 2015. I'm your host Chris Berman,with me this year Hall of famer Cris Carter,The Coach Mike Ditka,joining us for his 85th year Tom Jackson and our newest member soon-to-be Hall of Famer Peyton Manning. We'd like to wish Just Throw Me The Damn Ball the best of luck in his new endeavor.
Peyton for the Fedora?

Browns need an OC. Welcome Peyton. :yes:
Here's what I'm thinking. Few have his football brain. The way he diagnoses defenses at the line is second to none. Get him up in the coaches box, with control of the radio to the QBs headset, and it's his brain in a younger body. Get on a team like the Eagles, where he can talk up until the snap because they move so fast that they never hit the play clock cutoff, and it could be unstoppable.
why not just transplant his brain into the body of Colin Kaepernick? And continue transplanting it into younger QBs every 10 years?

Mentioned by others several times, but I think he's been banged up... whether the Rams game or before, I think there was an injury and the team has hid it the whole second half. He looked just as good as ever the first two months of the season, and Denver will find a way to bring back both Thomases and Peyton - give it one more go.
I agree. The wheels just came off inexplicably and they were completely unstoppable and then all the sudden he can't pass the ball downfield and completely loses accuracy. Just doesn't make sense and there has to be more at play here.

'07 to '12 the pats had some of the worst defence in the league. Obviously not the case early in their careers.
In yards allowed, but in points allowed they've only been worse than #10 once - #15 in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread