What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's been a great run Peyton - now enjoy retirement.. (1 Viewer)

What a stat whore. The guy should not have even been out on the field. He's definitely the reason they lost. Did he think he was Rodgers or what?

I don't hang out in the Shark Pool much other than the playoffs and early off-season. Is there some kind of weird meta-shtick with re-posing Rotoworld material? Or is this an attempt at making Staff? It's really off-putting regardless.
What's the problem with someone sharing news and firsthand quotes? Faust's posts generally contain more pertinent information than 95+% posts here that are nothing but opinion and speculation.
This is the reason people even come here. To have discussions. If all we wanted was fantasy news and "professional" fantasy opinion we would all just go to any site like roto and call it a day.

Ladies and gentlemen, introducing your NFL Sunday Countdown crew for 2015. I'm your host Chris Berman,with me this year Hall of famer Cris Carter,The Coach Mike Ditka,joining us for his 85th year Tom Jackson and our newest member soon-to-be Hall of Famer Peyton Manning. We'd like to wish Just Throw Me The Damn Ball the best of luck in his new endeavor.
Peyton for the Fedora?
Peyton with the Crockett-esque coon skin cap. Reppin' the TN.

What a stat whore. The guy should not have even been out on the field. He's definitely the reason they lost. Did he think he was Rodgers or what?
Congrats! You've accomplished a rare feat and made my "ignore" list. Well played.

I have a hard time believing Peyton's last game will be against the Colts. It just seems so sad.
But fitting. Passing the torch onto Luck. The young generation taking over the old. It's got all the storylines you could want.

Then plot twist, he becomes the assistant QB coach for the colts next year, then the qb coach, then offensive coordinator and him and luck win a title in 3 years in indy.
You know I have never viewed Manning as a guy that would coach or announce. Just seems to me the great ones rarely have that side in them (like they are so good and so demanding that most of their pupils would never live up to it).

BUT, with that being said, it would be really interesting to see Manning work with one of the great young QBs in the league and see if that bore any fruit.
Wow, surprised you don't see him as a guy that would coach. If there's one player in the NFL right now who I think is guaranteed to become a coach, I would think it was Peyton. Has nothing to do with his talent, but he is a leader, and a smart football mind. He's been coaching other nfl players for years at his qb camp, and kids qb camps as well. Seems like a no brainer to me that he'll be coaching somewhere within the next 5 years.
Just doesn't strike me. Its one thing when you are a teammate but I think he has other opportunities and really doesn't need the grind of an NFL coach. Hard to explain but I just don't see him as a guy who roams the sidelines for a bunch of years.

I think he becomes part owner of the Titans sometime soon. Or he could hold Elite QB camps for NFL QBs. $1MM/pp That would be cool!

I think he retires..Denver offers him the O/C job and they use their available money to lock up one of the Thomas's and IF and this is the big IF New England doesn't win the Super Bowl. I think Brady (with the way his new contract is restructured) starts to look around at a new location and Elway throws a chunk of money his way to lure him to Denver.

I just don't see them, turning the keys to this team over to Brock.

(hey, I can dream--can't I??)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, oh man, what would you be doing without the internet whenever you needed some attention?

No, seriously, what would you be doing?

I think he becomes part owner of the Titans sometime soon. Or he could hold Elite QB camps for NFL QBs. $1MM/pp That would be cool!
That would be difficult to do on anything other than a token level. According to Forbes, The Titans are valued at over 1.1Billion and the league rules on ownership (except the Packers) are designed to prevent conglomerates and interest groups from buying teams and having multiple owners. They like the individual ownership aspect for lots of reasons.

As an example on what it would take to buy a stake in an NFL team, using the Jaguars (valued at 775 Million), roughly a 3% stake would be $25 Million so I'm guessing for Peyton to get even a 5% share of the Titans would cost close to $58 Million.

Peyton's rich but owning an NFL team is for the WEALTHY.

I would say with that kind of money he could buy some more Papa John's.

That would be difficult to do on anything other than a token level. According to Forbes, The Titans are valued at over 1.1Billion and the league rules on ownership (except the Packers) are designed to prevent conglomerates and interest groups from buying teams and having multiple owners. They like the individual ownership aspect for lots of reasons.

As an example on what it would take to buy a stake in an NFL team, using the Jaguars (valued at 775 Million), roughly a 3% stake would be $25 Million so I'm guessing for Peyton to get even a 5% share of the Titans would cost close to $58 Million.

Peyton's rich but owning an NFL team is for the WEALTHY.

I would say with that kind of money he could buy some more Papa John's.
Fair enough. But a 10% stake with Manning as the figurehead sure makes for good theater in Nashville and sells lots of tickets, etc.

The hate is strong in here.
Is it hate to see a guy get old and say, "Wow, he's getting old."

I don't hate Manning, but I wouldn't pay him $19 million while pushing 40 either. Maybe if he takes a big pay cut?

I think his window has closed. No hate, just a high probability, and just my opinion. 39 is a big number. And kudos on an incredible career.

I don't hate Manning, but I wouldn't pay him $19 million while pushing 40 either. Maybe if he takes a big pay cut?

I think his window has closed. No hate, just a high probability, and just my opinion. 39 is a big number. And kudos on an incredible career.
Nope, what you said isn't hate. However, that's hardly what's been happening in here.

It will be interesting to see what he does and if he feels the quad injury was effecting his accuracy. As far as ducks, he was throwing ducks last year but he had his usual pinpoint accuracy. From what I saw his ducks became inaccurate.

The 17 week grind is the problem. He can't hold up.

If you could kid glove him, like San Antonio does with their codgers, he'd have a chance at another Lombardi. Football just isn't conducive to doing that like the NBA is
This, you figure he had right at 600 attempts during game time this year now add on all practice and offseason training. Now add the 16 years in the pros + college years + high school and you have a piece of limp pasta hanging of his right shoulder.

Nope, what you said isn't hate. However, that's hardly what's been happening in here.
Maybe you have too much invested personally. It's sports. Like Seinfeld once said, "When you really think about it... we all root for laundry."

Nobody hates Peyton Manning. Nobody here even knows Peyton Manning.

I've watched some games with people the past month or so; people I would call "casual observers" who aren't biased because of having a favorite team or playing FF or dailies and more than a couple of them made comments that they thought he was hurt, just because he didn't seem like "peyton".

And I guess those folks can see that for what it is and not over analyze it or be biased. They just see this guy and then all of a sudden like a light switch he's spiraling.

So, especially after the reports today, I guess I really think its 99% injury driven and that makes me think he's not washed up and is more likely to return.

The 17 week grind is the problem. He can't hold up.

If you could kid glove him, like San Antonio does with their codgers, he'd have a chance at another Lombardi. Football just isn't conducive to doing that like the NBA is
This, you figure he had right at 600 attempts during game time this year now add on all practice and offseason training. Now add the 16 years in the pros + college years + high school and you have a piece of limp pasta hanging of his right shoulder.
38 is traditionally the last great year for QB's (if they play that long).

Only a couple of great QB seasons at 39+ (Moon at 39, Favre at 40).

I've watched some games with people the past month or so; people I would call "casual observers" who aren't biased because of having a favorite team or playing FF or dailies and more than a couple of them made comments that they thought he was hurt, just because he didn't seem like "peyton".

And I guess those folks can see that for what it is and not over analyze it or be biased. They just see this guy and then all of a sudden like a light switch he's spiraling.

So, especially after the reports today, I guess I really think its 99% injury driven and that makes me think he's not washed up and is more likely to return.
It certainly gives me hope. What you say makes perfect sense. Far better news than the degenerative thigh problem that was rumored.

BusterTBronco said:
If it is true that the Broncos tried to conceal Peyton Manning's injury by not disclosing it on the injury reports they should be fined and lose draft picks.
Agreed - 100%. Should be big news if true IMO.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter3 hrs3 hours ago

Specifically: Peyton Manning has a torn rectus femoris, which runs down center of thigh. Bruising was so severe it spread to back of his leg
Broncos not disclosing this is one issue, but the thread is about Manning and his future. To me, this explains a whole, whole lot. Think about pitchers in baseball and how much leg injuries affect everything from location to velocity to movement. I would assume the same is true in football, especially with a guy like Manning who doesn't have the cannon arm anymore. He's much more of a 'body' thrower in that he uses his legs in a full body motion. I've read a few reports on twitter and elsewhere saying his footwork was atrocious the past month... this from a guy that's a control freak for the details (like footwork).

I expect him back for 2015, which he said as much a few weeks ago. One bad playoff game with a torn quad probably doesn't change his mind.

'07 to '12 the pats had some of the worst defence in the league. Obviously not the case early in their careers.
In yards allowed, but in points allowed they've only been worse than #10 once - #15 in 2011.
That's a little misleading. They had some bad defenses in that time who were helped by quite a few things.

Some easy schedules (it seemed like in 2012 they never played a starting QB they kept getting backups). Playing from ahead a lot and just relying on turnovers (not to mention knowing the offense couldn't really run because of the scoreboard). An offense that stayed on the field.

My opinion was from '09 to 2012 they had some bad defenses not bottom of the league but worse than average (that's only 4 years). Last years defense was bad also, but really due to injuries and nothing else. At the start of the year it looked like a strength. This current defense is very good. Better than the numbers say. Might be the best in the AFC.

Adam Schefter‏@AdamSchefter3 hrs3 hours ago

Specifically: Peyton Manning has a torn rectus femoris, which runs down center of thigh. Bruising was so severe it spread to back of his leg
Broncos not disclosing this is one issue, but the thread is about Manning and his future. To me, this explains a whole, whole lot. Think about pitchers in baseball and how much leg injuries affect everything from location to velocity to movement. I would assume the same is true in football, especially with a guy like Manning who doesn't have the cannon arm anymore. He's much more of a 'body' thrower in that he uses his legs in a full body motion. I've read a few reports on twitter and elsewhere saying his footwork was atrocious the past month... this from a guy that's a control freak for the details (like footwork).

I expect him back for 2015, which he said as much a few weeks ago. One bad playoff game with a torn quad probably doesn't change his mind.
Seems like if this was the case as reported by Schefter, his body language would have been noticeable in regards to pain.

I'd like to hear Peyton say it, until then I don't believe it.
Maybe Peyton not saying it is him not wanting people to react like some have in here... "convenient excuse!"
Or maybe he didnt say it all and it's completely ficticious.Everybody was waiting to hear it, someone said it and Glazer ran with it. Torn quad is one of the most painful muscle injuries, I don't think he could hide something like that for over a month.

I'd like to hear Peyton say it, until then I don't believe it.
Maybe Peyton not saying it is him not wanting people to react like some have in here... "convenient excuse!"
Who do you think "leaked" it to Schefter? Either Manning or someone in his camp. Don't you all get how these "games" are played by now?

I find it ironic that a similar situation is playing out in Green Bay so radically different in all respects. The Packers and Rogers have been relatively forthcoming about his calf injury. Perhaps the injury isn't as adverse to Rogers' play as Manning's was to his. But you've got all this subterfuge in Denver, and then Manning plays like crap, and people, rightfully, throw him under the bus for his performance, then there's the whole, oh, but he was injured "news" today. Naturally skeptical people are going to balk at that or feel like it was used as an excuse.

If Rodgers came out and had the game Manning had the reaction would be different because the cards were on the table as far as the injury was concerned.

Seems like something happened either in the week 7 Chargers game or week 8 Patriots game. Link

Weeks 1-7: 17 TD, 3 INT, 9+ YPA in 6 out of 7 games

Weeks 8-17: 17 TD, 12 INT, 9+ YPA in 1 out of 9 games

I think he retires..Denver offers him the O/C job and they use their available money to lock up one of the Thomas's and IF and this is the big IF New England doesn't win the Super Bowl. I think Brady (with the way his new contract is restructured) starts to look around at a new location and Elway throws a chunk of money his way to lure him to Denver.

I just don't see them, turning the keys to this team over to Brock.

(hey, I can dream--can't I??)
No - you guys can have Sam Freaking Bradford and we'll take Osweiler and even let him start.

I hate to be the bubble buster here, but those of you that keep saying the Broncos would be in trouble for not listing Peyton on the injury report with a thigh injury realize that Peyton WAS listed on the injury report with a thigh injury, right?

Peyton was listed as probable (thigh) on the week 16, week 17, and playoff injury reports.

Wonder how Peyton felt about Fox... now THAT may play a role in his decision. Whole new coaching staff could be not so good, unless they promote Gase from within.

I hate to be the bubble buster here, but those of you that keep saying the Broncos would be in trouble for not listing Peyton on the injury report with a thigh injury realize that Peyton WAS listed on the injury report with a thigh injury, right?

Peyton was listed as probable (thigh) on the week 16, week 17, and playoff injury reports.
I believe the torn quad is the injury in question. But you are correct, the thigh injury was documented.

I was under the impression that teams were required by rule to report all injuries. A torn quad would certainly fall under that category.

I think the bigger question here is if Peyton given his age and physical limitations is capable of leading a team to a SB title. I say that is a resounding no. I also think John Elway is well aware of this. His ride in Denver is over unless he takes a huge pay cut.

If you think the boo-birds were out at mile high yesterday just wait. Elway isn't stupid. He is going to get someone else under center there sooner than later. This could get ugly. I'm not convinced he has anything left regardless of this injury talk. Either way he's not winning a SB unless Denver can recreate the 85 Bears defense. I'm fine with watching him stay in Denver as they have no shot of winning anything with him.

Save some money Elway. Hire Manning as the coach, OC and QB. HE was all of that anyway and you were paying other guys to stand there with the titles of OC and HC.

I believe the torn quad is the injury in question. But you are correct, the thigh injury was documented.

I was under the impression that teams were required by rule to report all injuries. A torn quad would certainly fall under that category.
The quad is IN the thigh, Dr. Welby.

Broncos clean house, blow it up and start over. Manning to Buffalo, Teams up with Rex Ryan to take on Pats in 2015. :popcorn:

The John Fox news changes the whole picture. I can't imagine Peyton wanting to go back to Denver under an entirely new coaching staff.

Exactly. It's a non-issue.

The John Fox news changes the whole picture. I can't imagine Peyton wanting to go back to Denver under an entirely new coaching staff.
Actually there was speculation that Peyton and Fox have been at odds for some time now and that under no circumstances would both of them be back in Denver next season. One or the other, or neither, but not both. This bodes well for the possibility of Peyton returning.

Would love to see Denver bring in Kubiak.

Users who are viewing this thread