What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ITS OFFICIAL! (1 Viewer)

J-LEW

Footballguy
There I said it. All im hearing is the current winning streak the Pats are on and how good there defence has played yadda yadda yadda. Lets look at there season in depth please...Sep 8 Oakland Won 30-20 (good win against a Raider team who came out fired up!)Sep 18 @Carolina Lost 17-27 (another game of not being able to stop the run)Sep 25 @Pittsburgh Won 23-20 (impressive I will admit)Oct 2 San Diego Lost 17-41 (down right embarresing) Oct 9 @Atlanta Won 31-28 (Sqeeking out a win against a non-playoff team) Oct 16 @Denver Lost 20-28 (Broncos has been good all year, this game shouldnt have been a surprise) Week 7 BYE Oct 30 Buffalo Won 21-16 (Bills nearly had this game in the bag)Nov 7 Indianapolis Lost 21-40 (19 point loss hurts)Nov 13 @Miami Won 23-16 (Chambers had about 4 chances to win the game) Nov 20 New Orleans Won 24-17 (Beating argueable the worst team in the league by one TD, mad props!) Nov 27 @Kansas City Lost 16-26 (LJ ran all over them, Steelers will do the same)Dec 4 N.Y. Jets Won 16-3 (this game was 6-3 at halftime) Dec 11 @Buffalo Won 35-7 (JP Losman speaks for himself)Dec 17 Tampa Bay Won 28-0 (OK, most impressive win all year, although it was against a team that has been argued as being very "lucky" all year)Dec 26 @N.Y. Jets Won 31-21 (who gives up 21 points to Bollinger and the Jets?) Mark it down, Steelers will beat the Patriots.Steelers 23 Patriots 13

Dec 26 @N.Y. Jets Won 31-21 (who gives up 21 points to Bollinger and the Jets?)
The first touchdown was an INT return for a TD by Ty Law. The second touchdown was early in the 4th quarter when the game could still be considered in doubt (although many would argue otherwise, especially if you saw the game).

The last touchdown was in the last few minutes of the game, aka garbage time.

The Jets didn't get a first down until late in the 3rd quarter.

What else ya got?

Man, I love Stiller fans. Their unbridled enthusiasm for their team is what truly sets them apart from the rest of the NFL fans in the country.But just a quick question:How many times does this team have to beat you IN YOUR HOUSE?Belicheck could take over the Raiders tomorrow and find a way to beat Bill Cowher by Monday.

The Steelers / Pats game in the wildcard round will definitely be the best game of the playoffs....I'm just waiting for the divisional week when the Hawks get embarassed and ousted. In a fit of rage, the front office fires Holmgrem, and Alexander decides not to resign.

Gotta love the fan who loves the beatdown. I dont see any reason why this team would be able to beat the Pats when they couldnt do it in any of the previous SEVERAL games theyve squared off in the playoffs in recent memory. Check out the LJ #s by the way from the KC game. New England is the only squad to have held LJ to below 4/carry....it was 3.8, and he only scored against them ONCE....no small feat. LJ averaged FIVE yds/ carry on the season. Teams will NOT run on the Pats in the playoffs, and last I checked, Roth....burger CANNOT carry a team throwing the ball. Dont make this harder than it needs to be.

If they do play each other Steelers will win this one finally. Actually would like to see them face each other in the afc championship game but that would also mean one of them would have to knock of the Colts.

Probably a better than 50-50 bet that these two teams don't even meet in the playoffs.
That might be the Steelers best hope. They don't fare so well in the big games against the Patriots.Jan. 5, 1997 - AFC Divisional - New England 28, Pittsburgh 3

Jan. 3, 1998 - AFC Divisional - Pittsburgh 7, New England 6

Jan. 27, 2002 - AFC Championship - New England 24, Pittsburgh 17

Jan. 23, 2005 - AFC Championship - New England 41, Pittsburgh 27

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I love Stiller fans. Their unbridled enthusiasm for their team is what truly sets them apart from the rest of the NFL fans in the country.

But just a quick question:

How many times does this team have to beat you IN YOUR HOUSE?

Belicheck could take over the Raiders tomorrow and find a way to beat Bill Cowher by Monday.
Cowher is 8-7 vs Bellichick.

Man, I love Stiller fans.  Their unbridled enthusiasm for their team is what truly sets them apart from the rest of the NFL fans in the country.

Belicheck could take over the Raiders tomorrow and find a way to beat Bill Cowher by Monday.
How many of those wins were when Belicheck coached the Browns?

Man, I love Stiller fans.  Their unbridled enthusiasm for their team is what truly sets them apart from the rest of the NFL fans in the country.

What does it matter if Bellichick can take the Raiders tomorrow and beat the Steelers Monday?

What does it matter if Bellichick can take the Raiders tomorrow and beat the Steelers Monday?
:own3d:

I'm not a Manning/Colts fan but I don't see anyway the Colts lose at home in the playoffs to ANYONE. If the game was in Pitt, maybe but no chance in the dome.

Man, I love Stiller fans. Their unbridled enthusiasm for their team is what truly sets them apart from the rest of the NFL fans in the country.

:own3d:
:goodposting:

I dont see any reason why this team would be able to beat the Pats when they couldnt do it in any of the previous SEVERAL games theyve squared off in the playoffs in recent memory.
maybe not the playoffs, but i remember a NE team coming into pittsburgh last year with their unbeaten streak and getting hammered.i agree the Patsy's are difficult to run against, but anyone who saw the game this year knows that the Stillers were primed to take that game, but for a lateral gone bad.

it's going to be a good matchup, if it happens. the Patsy's will be sky high off their emotional win against the Colts and the Stillers will come into town and kick their butts.

-orphan

I dont see any reason why this team would be able to beat the Pats when they couldnt do it in any of the previous SEVERAL games theyve squared off in the playoffs in recent memory. 
maybe not the playoffs, but i remember a NE team coming into pittsburgh last year with their unbeaten streak and getting hammered.i agree the Patsy's are difficult to run against, but anyone who saw the game this year knows that the Stillers were primed to take that game, but for a lateral gone bad.

it's going to be a good matchup, if it happens. the Patsy's will be sky high off their emotional win against the Colts and the Stillers will come into town and kick their butts.

-orphan
Ah yes, Dillon was out, then Ty Law got hurt, and then the Steelers passed on the Pats all day.Sort of remember a game this year though, where the Pats went to your house, and beat you...and it wasn't even the playoffs. :D

Probably a better than 50-50 bet that these two teams don't even meet in the playoffs.
What makes you say that?It looks likely that they meet 1st round.
I'd say around 50-50.I mean, the Chiefs could be eliminated as soon as Saturday night if the Chargers beat the Broncos, so the Steelers would be locked into #6 and the Bengals would only have to beat the Chiefs in a meaningless game to take #3, right?

What makes you say that?It looks likely that they meet 1st round.
I'd say around 50-50.I mean, the Chiefs could be eliminated as soon as Saturday night if the Chargers beat the Broncos, so the Steelers would be locked into #6 and the Bengals would only have to beat the Chiefs in a meaningless game to take #3, right?
Do the Bengals really care about taking the #3?In addition to the fact that it's been close to impossible to win in Arrowhead in December, it seems that the Chiefs are going to be trying harder for the victory than the Bengals will. The Bengals already have a homegame locked up. The only thing they're playing for is whether they play JAX at home or PIT at home.

The talk around here (Cincinnati) is that they don't want any part of the Steelers in Week 1, so why risk injury to your starters by trying to win only to be rewarded by playing the tougher opponent?

There's also talk of Palmer possibly missing the game and the starters being pulled early.

Is there talk of the Chiefs treating this as a preseason game? I think they'll be playing to win. If the Bengals really needed this game, I think it would be a lot closer to 50/50...but the Bengals don't appear to be treating this as a necessary win.

Do the Bengals really care about taking the #3?

In addition to the fact that it's been close to impossible to win in Arrowhead in December, it seems that the Chiefs are going to be trying harder for the victory than the Bengals will. The Bengals already have a homegame locked up. The only thing they're playing for is whether they play JAX at home or PIT at home.

The talk around here (Cincinnati) is that they don't want any part of the Steelers in Week 1, so why risk injury to your starters by trying to win only to be rewarded by playing the tougher opponent?

There's also talk of Palmer possibly missing the game and the starters being pulled early.

Is there talk of the Chiefs treating this as a preseason game? I think they'll be playing to win. If the Bengals really needed this game, I think it would be a lot closer to 50/50...but the Bengals don't appear to be treating this as a necessary win.
All good points ... I agree that Cincinnati would probably prefer to play the Jaguars, but if that's the case wouldn't the Patriots also?And here's an interesting little snippet from this article:

The Chiefs are proud of the fact that they've won 18 straight games at Arrowhead Stadium in the month of December, but the Bengals game is being played Jan. 1. Kansas City's record in January isn't nearly as formidable. The Chiefs have lost seven straight January games since their last January win in the 1993 playoffs when Joe Montana led them to a conference semifinal win at Houston that followed a first-round win over Pittsburgh at Arrowhead.

Four of their seven January losses have been at Arrowhead, and three of those were postseason games. A loss in the final game of the 1999 regular season kept them out of the playoffs.

I agree the Bengals would like to rest it's starters but I have a feeling they would rather not be going into their first playoff game in 15 years on a 2 game losing streak. Plus while it is true that #3 will get the Steelers in the 1st round, the following week #3 plays Denver which I would think the Bengals would rather do than play Indy in the dome. And if you make it to AFC Championship game and you have to play the Patriots, the #3 seed means you will be playing at home.If I were the Bengals I would sit any player that was hurt but everyone else would be in there to try and get the #3 seed. As for KC, they might already know their fate before game time. If the Chargers beat the Broncos then they have nothing to play for. That doesn't mean they'll go through the motions but it is sure to take a little wind out of their sails.

Call me crazy, but the thread starter (J-LEW) is most likely a Baltimore Raven fan, no? I don't know many Steeler fans that would take the moniker of a division rival, do you?

Plus...

If I were a Giant fan, I would just worry about NOT making the playoffs in a terrible, terrible NFC. Woopsie!

The Steelers to beat the Patriots with no problem.Folks seem to be forgetting that the only credible team that the Patriots have faced during their turn-around are the Buccaneers at home. The Buccaneers are something like 0-200 when the weather is below 40 degrees! This is hardly a respectable sampling.

The Steelers to beat the Patriots with no problem.

Folks seem to be forgetting that the only credible team that the Patriots have faced during their turn-around are the Buccaneers at home. The Buccaneers are something like 0-200 when the weather is below 40 degrees! This is hardly a respectable sampling.
As much as I love the Steelers I do not have anywhere near the confidence that you have in going up to Foxboro and beating the champs on their turf. The Steelers are playing well right now, no doubt about that, but the Patriots are a formidable opponent.Do I think the Steelers can take them? Yes, I do. But that jagoff Brady seems to be able to pick apart the Steelers secondary whenever he puts his mind to it and the Pats front 7 on defense can shutdown the run and put pressure on the QB.

If the Steelers do meet the Patriots it is going to be one tough game. Guaranteed.

:goodposting: I think a Steelers Pats playoff game will end up being one of, if not THE, best playoff game in 2005 (err, 2006)

The two teams know each other very well, and they really got after it early in the year with a photo finish.

Brady and his receiving Corp. cut through the Steelers secondary for 12 receiving plays of greater than 10 yards in the 2nd half of their game in Week #03. 372 yards passing; the Steelers did hold the Patriots to no passing TD's and did pick Brady once, but Vinatieri was dead on!Only three other teams this year have passed on the Steelers for over 227 yards [Wright got 252 for the Ravens in Week #08, Dilfer got 253 for the Browns in Week #10, and Peyton got 245 in Week #12].I would say that it is a fair bet that the Steelers secondary has fine-tuned their approach to things since their Week #03 meeting and if they meet again, I see no way that Brady has the same success.

Brady and his receiving Corp. cut through the Steelers secondary for 12 receiving plays of greater than 10 yards in the 2nd half of their game in Week #03. 372 yards passing; the Steelers did hold the Patriots to no passing TD's and did pick Brady once, but Vinatieri was dead on!
See Polamalu out of position AGAINSee Branch run by Polamalu

See Polamalu try to catch Branch

See TD by Branch

Brady and his receiving Corp. cut through the Steelers secondary for 12 receiving plays of greater than 10 yards in the 2nd half of their game in Week #03.  372 yards passing; the Steelers did hold the Patriots to no passing TD's and did pick Brady once, but Vinatieri was dead on!

Only three other teams this year have passed on the Steelers for over 227 yards [Wright got 252 for the Ravens in Week #08, Dilfer got 253 for the Browns in Week #10, and Peyton got 245 in Week #12].

I would say that it is a fair bet that the Steelers secondary has fine-tuned their approach to things since their Week #03 meeting and if they meet again, I see no way that Brady has the same success.
Maybe. But if our corners play off receivers 10 yards like they've been known to do then Brady will have a field day throwing quick, short passes. It is his specialty.

Brady and his receiving Corp. cut through the Steelers secondary for 12 receiving plays of greater than 10 yards in the 2nd half of their game in Week #03.  372 yards passing; the Steelers did hold the Patriots to no passing TD's and did pick Brady once, but Vinatieri was dead on!

Only three other teams this year have passed on the Steelers for over 227 yards [Wright got 252 for the Ravens in Week #08, Dilfer got 253 for the Browns in Week #10, and Peyton got 245 in Week #12].

I would say that it is a fair bet that the Steelers secondary has fine-tuned their approach to things since their Week #03 meeting and if they meet again, I see no way that Brady has the same success.
Maybe. But if our corners play off receivers 10 yards like they've been known to do then Brady will have a field day throwing quick, short passes. It is his specialty.
Exactly - and that is really piss-poor logic re: fine tuning the secondary.They got torched in week 10 and week 12, what makes you think they can stop Brady when he already has a habit of tearing through them, and when they have proved all year that they can't shut down good QBs?

Marc,

Perhaps it is just semantics, but TORCHED is giving up 300+ yards and 3 or 4 TD's.

The Steeler defense let only 4 teams accumulate more than 227 passing yards against them in 15 games.

They only gave up 12 total passing TD's all season.

Furthermore they are 2nd in the NFL in rushing defense.

I find it amusing that you are so adamant that the Steelers defense is so poor. They did play a poor 2nd half against Brady and they paid for it. You seriously do not believe that they can make adjustments or a better game plan?

I've learned my lesson when it comes to talking smack against the Pats at this point. I will hope, and I will cheer, if PIT can win, I'll run my mouth for about 4 straight days. But until then, not a peep of smack from me.

The first touchdown was an INT return for a TD by Ty Law. The second touchdown was early in the 4th quarter when the game could still be considered in doubt (although many would argue otherwise, especially if you saw the game).

The last touchdown was in the last few minutes of the game, aka garbage time.

The Jets didn't get a first down until late in the 3rd quarter.

What else ya got?
Just to add:B. Bollinger 11/19 100 yrds, 1 TD, 1 Int

I agree the Bengals would like to rest it's starters but I have a feeling they would rather not be going into their first playoff game in 15 years on a 2 game losing streak.

Plus while it is true that #3 will get the Steelers in the 1st round, the following week #3 plays Denver which I would think the Bengals would rather do than play Indy in the dome. And if you make it to AFC Championship game and you have to play the Patriots, the #3 seed means you will be playing at home.

If I were the Bengals I would sit any player that was hurt but everyone else would be in there to try and get the #3 seed.

As for KC, they might already know their fate before game time. If the Chargers beat the Broncos then they have nothing to play for. That doesn't mean they'll go through the motions but it is sure to take a little wind out of their sails.
:goodposting: The 3 seed has 2 big advantages on the 4 seed. They go to Denver instead of Indianapolis in the 2nd round and they'd host the AFCC if the Colts are beaten.

The Bengals definitely have a lot to play for, and they probably want to get a few things straightened out before the playoffs.

No matter who the Steelers end up playing in the first round, it's going to be a great game. I just wish these threads wouldn't start until we actually know who the Steelers will be playing.

There I said it. All im hearing is the current winning streak the Pats are on and how good there defence has played yadda yadda yadda. Lets look at there season in depth please...

Sep 8 Oakland Won 30-20 (good win against a Raider team who came out fired up!)

Sep 18 @Carolina Lost 17-27 (another game of not being able to stop the run)

Sep 25 @Pittsburgh Won 23-20 (impressive I will admit)

Oct 2 San Diego Lost 17-41 (down right embarresing)

Oct 9 @Atlanta Won 31-28 (Sqeeking out a win against a non-playoff team)

Oct 16 @Denver Lost 20-28 (Broncos has been good all year, this game shouldnt have been a surprise)

Week 7 BYE

Oct 30 Buffalo Won 21-16 (Bills nearly had this game in the bag)

Nov 7 Indianapolis Lost 21-40 (19 point loss hurts)

Nov 13 @Miami Won 23-16 (Chambers had about 4 chances to win the game)

Nov 20 New Orleans Won 24-17 (Beating argueable the worst team in the league by one TD, mad props!)

Nov 27 @Kansas City Lost 16-26 (LJ ran all over them, Steelers will do the same)

Dec 4 N.Y. Jets Won 16-3 (this game was 6-3 at halftime)

Dec 11 @Buffalo Won 35-7 (JP Losman speaks for himself)

Dec 17 Tampa Bay Won 28-0 (OK, most impressive win all year, although it was against a team that has been argued as being very "lucky" all year)

Mark it down, Steelers will beat the Patriots.

Steelers 23 Patriots 13
I love this kind of "analysis". You can make ANY team look mediocre if you try hard enough. Want to see me do it to the Steelers?

The 3 seed has 2 big advantages on the 4 seed. They go to Denver instead of Indianapolis in the 2nd round and they'd host the AFCC if the Colts are beaten.
Denver is 8-0 at home. Their average margin of victory is 13.6. Four of their eight opponents in home games are above .500 and Philly (whom they played when they were at full strength and 4-2) was another. The Colts are 6-1. Their average margin of victory is 16, but they have one home loss and have only played two teams that are above .500.

Seems to me that the Broncos are tougher at home than the Colts are this year.

I'm not a Manning/Colts fan but I don't see anyway the Colts lose at home in the playoffs to ANYONE. If the game was in Pitt, maybe but no chance in the dome.
Didn't the Chargers just beat these same Colts in Indy a few weeks ago?

The 3 seed has 2 big advantages on the 4 seed.  They go to Denver instead of Indianapolis  in the 2nd round and they'd host the AFCC if the Colts are beaten.
Denver is 8-0 at home. Their average margin of victory is 13.6. Four of their eight opponents in home games are above .500 and Philly (whom they played when they were at full strength and 4-2) was another. The Colts are 6-1. Their average margin of victory is 16, but they have one home loss and have only played two teams that are above .500.

Seems to me that the Broncos are tougher at home than the Colts are this year.
Not that either matchup would be a great one, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find many people who would rather play Indy in Indy than Denver in Denver.And the better chance to host the AFCC is something else to shoot for.

Not that either matchup would be a great one, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find many people who would rather play Indy in Indy than Denver in Denver.
While I think the teams that have a first round bye do have a huge advantage over their second round opponents, I think that playing at Indy might be a little better in the second round rather than the AFC title game. Assuming they do not play their starters for long this weekend, the Colts will be playing their first significant game in a month in the second round and it is possible they will take a bit to get going in that game and by the time they do, their opponent might have grabbed control of the game already.
And the better chance to host the AFCC is something else to shoot for.
I agree.

Did that game mean as much as a 2nd round playoff game for the Colts? Did the Colts play all of their starters for that game?

Did that game mean as much as a 2nd round playoff game for the Colts? Did the Colts play all of their starters for that game?
Wait, you're suggesting that after all the hype about how the players wanted to go 16-0 and how Dungy was considering letting them go for it in weeks 16 and 17, now the story is that they took it easy in their 14th game of the year? "Yeah, we decided to rest some folks and just tank this one. No one really wanted that perfect season anyway" :hophead:

Looking at NFL.com, looks like all the big pieces of their offense played. Who didn't?

Wait, you're suggesting that after all the hype about how the players wanted to go 16-0 and how Dungy was considering letting them go for it in weeks 16 and 17, now the story is that they took it easy in their 14th game of the year? "Yeah, we decided to rest some folks and just tank this one. No one really wanted that perfect season anyway" :hophead:

Looking at NFL.com, looks like all the big pieces of their offense played. Who didn't?
:goodposting: SHAZAAAAM!

The game I was watching, the Colts still had Manning and the starters in till the very end trying to win.

Marc,I think that you had better re-assess games #10 and #12.In Week #10 against the Browns, the Steelers defense held the Browns in check the entire game. The Browns scored on a blocked field goal and then they got a garbage TD in the 4th quarter.In Week #12, Peyton and Marvin fooled them on one play. The rest of the game the Steelers defense held Indianapolis basically in check. The problem here was that Ben was hurt and rusty and gave up an uncharacteristic two interceptions!The Steelers defense is one of the best in the NFL. With a healthy Ben and a sound running attack they will defeat anyone else in the AFC.

The answers are "No" and "Yes", respectively.

They got torched in week 10 and week 12, what makes you think they can stop Brady when he already has a habit of tearing through them, and when they have proved all year that they can't shut down good QBs?
:confused: What QBs were the Steelers unable to shut down all year?

Brady threw the ball 41 times and racked up 372 yards, but he didn't throw a TD pass and was intercepted once.

They had 2 matchups with Carson Palmer. In the first one, the Steelers completely dominated him, holding him to 227 yards and 2 INTs with no TDs. In the 2nd matchup, Palmer had a very good game. It'd be very difficult to control Palmer two times in a row.

Manning caught Ike Taylor for an 80 yard TD on the first play of the game, but after that they held the Colts' offense in check pretty well. After the first play, Manning went 14-24-165 with a TD and an INT. He probably could've had more yardage if the game were closer, but they did very well against the Colts.

Brees managed to go 20-35-219 with an TD and an INT.

Leftwich? 19-35-177-1-1.

Favre? 20-35-214-0-1

The rejuvinated Brad Johnson went 16-30-143 with no TDs and 2 INTs.

As has already been mentioned, Dilfer passed for 253 yards in week 10, but about 1/3 of that came in a TD drive in the final minutes of a blowout win.

I'd hardly say they've proven that they can't control good QBs.

I'm with you Steelers4Life,It seems that our foreheads are going to just get bloody ...There is no logic at all in these arguments against the Steeler Defense.

This will be some awesome football thats for sure patriots and stellers playing in the first rd along with the bengals and jags they all are good football teams.2nd rd both games will be very close. No ones knows for sure how this thing is going to pan out.Go ColtsJames left James right James James up the middleDef Def Def :football:

They got torched in week 10 and week 12, what makes you think they can stop Brady when he already has a habit of tearing through them, and when they have proved all year that they can't shut down good QBs?
:confused: What QBs were the Steelers unable to shut down all year?

Brady threw the ball 41 times and racked up 372 yards, but he didn't throw a TD pass and was intercepted once.

They had 2 matchups with Carson Palmer. In the first one, the Steelers completely dominated him, holding him to 227 yards and 2 INTs with no TDs. In the 2nd matchup, Palmer had a very good game. It'd be very difficult to control Palmer two times in a row.

Manning caught Ike Taylor for an 80 yard TD on the first play of the game, but after that they held the Colts' offense in check pretty well. After the first play, Manning went 14-24-165 with a TD and an INT. He probably could've had more yardage if the game were closer, but they did very well against the Colts.

Brees managed to go 20-35-219 with an TD and an INT.

Leftwich? 19-35-177-1-1.

Favre? 20-35-214-0-1

The rejuvinated Brad Johnson went 16-30-143 with no TDs and 2 INTs.

As has already been mentioned, Dilfer passed for 253 yards in week 10, but about 1/3 of that came in a TD drive in the final minutes of a blowout win.

I'd hardly say they've proven that they can't control good QBs.
:goodposting: :boxing:

:towelwave:

Users who are viewing this thread