What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Dorsey Stepping Down From Twitter - Effective Immediately (1 Viewer)

What do you think this means for Twitter?

• Great for Twitter

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Good for Twitter

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No significant change for Twitter

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Bad for Twitter

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Terrible for Twitter

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
It's basically a mirror.  
You took the time to quote me as well so at least in part, you intended to direct that at me. 

I don’t appreciate the shot and will respond in full tomorrow. For now, you’re wrong. I don’t even use Twitter unless somebody sends me a link. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I found Twitter to be an awful cesspool of humanity. 
I hear this a lot but I must be twittering differently than most people.  I follow certain people that cover topics I am interested in and read their posts for news, that's it.   I just checked Twitter and saw that McCaffrey went on IR, Scherzer signed with the Mets and Kemba Walker got benched. I don't see a problem. :shrug:

It's basically a mirror.  
Twitter CAN be an effective tool like you use it@Tom Hagen.  It’s how I do (I call it my no drama zone).  But it takes careful cultivation and awareness to keep it that way.  99% of the users don’t use it that way and this it ends up as @STEADYMOBBIN 22 and @cockroach describe.   As I said above it (and other SM platforms) mostly perpetuates and accentuates the absolute worst of our human qualities.  

You took the time to quote me as well so at least in part, you intended to direct that at me. 

I don’t appreciate the shot and will respond in full tomorrow. For now, you’re wrong. I don’t even use Twitter unless somebody sends me a link. 
Not trying to jump in the middle of anybody’s business, but I didn’t read it as him saying it was a mirror of you personally. I read it as he was saying it was a mirror of us as a society.  Thus mostly agreeing with your point.  

By limiting the people I follow, and what I post, I don't get bogged down in any of the negativity.

I follow certain people that cover topics I am interested in and read their posts for news, that's it. 

Twitter is actually super-good if you follow the right people. 

Find resources who provide good content, read that content, done.  

Just from the 1st page, all this ^

Move me back to the middle.  The New CEO wasn't sharp enough to delete his old tweets before the promotion. Looks like a swell guy. 

Parag Agrawal
@paraga
"If they are not gonna make a distinction between muslims and extremists, then why should I distinguish between white people and racists."

Yep, move me back to the middle too.  :doh:

It appears @IvanKaramazov is correct in his observation. 
Just so we have the context for this tweet - he was quoting a comedian from the daily show. The bit wasn't calling all white people racists, it was pointing out that sentiment should be extended to muslims as well.

Other than this making the rounds, I know nothing about the new CEO. 

Reading through the thread, I need to apologize. I don't recall specifics with the trouble with @squistion and his twitter and any trouble from posters here. If I did, I obviously wouldn't have asked him for his twitter handle here yesterday. I don't know what people are talking about with an emoji that was apparently created and deleted. I wouldn't think a moderator here would create something with bad intent but if they did, I need to know about it. Please PM me with details. 

I get that it's more fun to post laughing emoji's at my being oblivious or in the dark but I think you folks likely give me too much credit for knowing everything that's going on.

If squistion says he was harassed, I believe him. I've long said with most all the internet totally out of our control, the one thing we can try to control is how we post on this forum. I know plenty think we do poorly at that, but I feel pretty good we do ok. We certainly do our best. 

We have zero control obviously over what posters here do on other platforms on the internet. But still, if posters here did ugly things on another platform to a member from here, I'm sorry. The site is at the end of the day, a reflection on me. 

I hate it when creepy stuff happens.

One of my friends, David Shick, was a moderator and had posters here try to cause him trouble at his real job.

I had to pull pictures of my young children offline as there were posters on other boards using them as their avatar in forums where there were no limits on what was discussed. 

When my mother died, I had a poster asking if anyone could recommend a good taxidermist.

It's the ugly side of the internet. And as I said above, it's discouraging for me. And I'm sorry for any role I had in it.

I tried to send this PM to @Joe Bryant, @FBG Moderator, @Maurile Tremblay - but all came back as "cannot receive messages" - so I will post here, not knowing if it will actually be seen by Joe - so someone may need to quote this to get Joe to see it.

I am sending this to both accounts - since I don't know who has me on ignore.

I think that was a well considered post in the Twitter thread.  I am impressed that you offered the apology - I was mildly disappointed you said nothing yesterday/last night.

You - Joe - should ask your moderating team about the Pigeon emoji - I believe that it was called with :cstu:

It was a Pigeon emoji, and it was created in response to many people discovering that Squis had a number of tweets of/about Pigeons - which was discovered when someone uncovered his twitter account.  That discovery came about when people were trying to Dox @cstu - following his dropping out of sight when he lost a large amount of money in bets on Clinton winning the 2016 election. 

Long story short - the pigeon emoji, many users changed avatars to include pigeons, and just other pigeon talk was used to bully Squis on this site.  Obviously the moderators who created the emoji were not alone - but it was also pretty clearly "not excellent" behavior by the site itself.  And, that bore itself out when the emoji was finally deleted.  

As the owner, and part-time moderator, that is something you absolutely should have been aware about - but I believe that you when you say were not aware.  But folks on your team, should have to answer to someone - and, at a minimum, offer Squis an apology.   Again, I am impressed that you took that step yourself.

PS - I tried to send this originally to @FBG Moderator - but that would not work, so I have added @Maurile Tremblay to the message to ensure that it gets through to Joe.

PPS - can't send messages to MT either... so hopefully this goes through.

Thanks @Sinn Fein I think my pms are working ok. I don't use it much but I got some PM messages a couple of days ago. 

I'll ask Keith if something is blocking something there. I do remember talk about someone not paying a bet years ago but I never knew it went beyond what was posted on our site. I will ask the moderators. 

I tried to send PMs and they arent working for me either @Joe Bryant

Also, while typing your @name, a similar name accompanied by kid and another word came up. You might want to delete that username entirely. 

I tried to send this PM to @Joe Bryant, @FBG Moderator, @Maurile Tremblay - but all came back as "cannot receive messages" - so I will post here, not knowing if it will actually be seen by Joe - so someone may need to quote this to get Joe to see it.

I am sending this to both accounts - since I don't know who has me on ignore.

I think that was a well considered post in the Twitter thread.  I am impressed that you offered the apology - I was mildly disappointed you said nothing yesterday/last night.

You - Joe - should ask your moderating team about the Pigeon emoji - I believe that it was called with :cstu:

It was a Pigeon emoji, and it was created in response to many people discovering that Squis had a number of tweets of/about Pigeons - which was discovered when someone uncovered his twitter account.  That discovery came about when people were trying to Dox @cstu - following his dropping out of sight when he lost a large amount of money in bets on Clinton winning the 2016 election. 

Long story short - the pigeon emoji, many users changed avatars to include pigeons, and just other pigeon talk was used to bully Squis on this site.  Obviously the moderators who created the emoji were not alone - but it was also pretty clearly "not excellent" behavior by the site itself.  And, that bore itself out when the emoji was finally deleted.  

As the owner, and part-time moderator, that is something you absolutely should have been aware about - but I believe that you when you say were not aware.  But folks on your team, should have to answer to someone - and, at a minimum, offer Squis an apology.   Again, I am impressed that you took that step yourself.

PS - I tried to send this originally to @FBG Moderator - but that would not work, so I have added @Maurile Tremblay to the message to ensure that it gets through to Joe.

PPS - can't send messages to MT either... so hopefully this goes through.

I remember this. Was it bullying or just some good ribbing? IIRC, nobody shared any RL details and Squis survived and likely came out a tougher person for it. 

Teasing builds character. Don't get me wrong, it can go too far and too long to the point that it goes from ribbing to meanness but we really need to stop with the coddling. As we see, it ends up creating soft people who cant deal when faced with even the most minor adversity. 

I remember this. Was it bullying or just some good ribbing? IIRC, nobody shared any RL details and Squis survived and likely came out a tougher person for it. 

Teasing builds character. Don't get me wrong, it can go too far and too long to the point that it goes from ribbing to meanness but we really need to stop with the coddling. As we see, it ends up creating soft people who cant deal when faced with even the most minor adversity. 
I don't hold it past a group of people to take things too far, which probably occurred hence the removal...but we should be able to delineate poking fun at someone for something innocuous (such as liking pigeons) and say for example posting pictures of someones child as your avatar on the internet.

I don't hold it past a group of people to take things too far, which probably occurred hence the removal...but we should be able to delineate poking fun at someone for something innocuous (such as liking pigeons) and say for example posting pictures of someones child as your avatar on the internet.

:goodposting:

The pigeon emoji briefly took the place of :lmao: and then it was deleted.  The ribbing was people using their avatars for different pigeon images.  Some of them were really creative and funny and there was no bullying

Twitter is awesome if you use it right. I know certain segments of the population are probably dunking on Jack because they think blocking the spread of outright disinformation related to COVID or election conspiracy theories = banning conservative thought (which is ridiculous but that’s the argument).

But him stepping down was a long time coming and had little or nothing to do with any of that. Investors haven’t liked the fact he was stretched as CEO of two companies for years (the other being Square) and wanted him to pick one or the other. It got to the point activist investors (Elliot?) got involved and this pressure is likely why it happened. It’s a gigantic platform they haven’t been able to monetize very well so this was a necessary change in that respect.

I remember this. Was it bullying or just some good ribbing?

"Good natured ribbing" really relies on the person on the receiving end being receptive to the attention.

I think this was far more than good-natured ribbing.  It was more along the lines of "we mock what we don't understand" - and is indicative of most of society.  It also became a cumulative effect type of bullying.

I think we also should consider that what some people consider "teasing" others would consider "bullying" - and I think we (collectively) should always ask - "Why are we 'teasing' someone?  to what end?"  Certainly there is room for it - but its a very thin line, and many times that line gets crossed, both intentionally and unintentionally, because we don't think about it from the perspective of the receiving end.  Everyone has different tolerance levels.

If you know a person, and understand their tolerance, you know when to pull back.  When its a stranger, we should not anticipate that their tolerance levels are the same as our own.

The pigeon emoji briefly took the place of :lmao: and then it was deleted.  The ribbing was people using their avatars for different pigeon images.  Some of them were really creative and funny and there was no bullying

It was actually its own emoji - it did not replace anything.  You could type it as :cstu:

And, I can understand from your perspective that you thought it was funny/creative - but, I would put to you, that if you were on the receiving end, and the constant mocking might not have seemed so funny/creative.

These uses were not done to support Squis, or uplift him - it was pretty clearly used in a mocking sense.  Hence, the emoji was eventually deleted. 

It was actually its own emoji - it did not replace anything.  You could type it as :cstu:

And, I can understand from your perspective that you thought it was funny/creative - but, I would put to you, that if you were on the receiving end, and the constant mocking might not have seemed so funny/creative.

These uses were not done to support Squis, or uplift him - it was pretty clearly used in a mocking sense.  Hence, the emoji was eventually deleted. 
The bolded is the issue...people can't have a little "friendly" fun and then move on.  Because there is hostility present and people don't move on, unfortunately.

The pigeon mocking is not cool but Squis does troll for reactions quite a bit himself. 

Perhaps you don't know what ribbing means.  It's in between lifting someone up and bullying.  There's a big gray area in between.

I know what the emoji was.  I used it myself.  I'm saying posters started using that emoji instead of the laughing one.  When it got deleted posters went back to the laughing emoji.   Until all the whining about that started

I tried to send PMs and they arent working for me either @Joe Bryant

Also, while typing your @name, a similar name accompanied by kid and another word came up. You might want to delete that username entirely. 

I sent you a PM just now. Please let me know if you received it.

And see if you can reply to it. 

Thanks.

Is this a bad thing?

This is the relevant section of their private information policy

NEW: media of private individuals without the permission of the person(s) depicted.

But wouldn't this mean something like if you saw a person being beaten up and you took a video of it, you could not post it on twitter unless you got permission from the person that was beating the victim?

Is this a bad thing?

This is the relevant section of their private information policy

NEW: media of private individuals without the permission of the person(s) depicted.

But wouldn't this mean something like if you saw a person being beaten up and you took a video of it, you could not post it on twitter unless you got permission from the person that was beating the victim?
I wonder if there is an out because it is an illegal act? Unsure.

But also, maybe we are better off getting that information to the police before we go post it on the internet?

Honestly don't know how I feel about this, but in general, I think we should lean towards not allowing random people to post videos about other random people without their permission

That's going to be really difficult to enforce.

It's also likely going to lead to a Project Veritas-type saying their free speech is being stifled because Twitter won't let them post their heavily-doctored, misleading/deceitful hit videos of private individuals, a complaint which will eventually get laundered by more "mainstream" right-wing outlets into, again, "Big Tech is Censoring Conservative Opinions." 

When private information or media has been shared on Twitter, we need a first-person report or a report from an authorized representative in order to make the determination that the image or video has been shared without their permission. Learn more about reporting on Twitter.

Sharing private media 
When we are notified by individuals depicted, or by an authorized representative, that they did not consent to having their private image or video shared, we will remove it. This policy is not applicable to media featuring public figures or individuals when media and accompanying Tweet text are shared in the public interest or add value to public discourse.

However, if the purpose of the dissemination of private images of public figures or individuals who are part of public conversations is to harass, intimidate, or use fear to silence them, we may remove the content in line with our policy against abusive behavior.. Similarly, private nude images of public individuals will continue to be actioned under our non-consensual nudity policy.

We recognize that there are instances where account holders may share images or videos of private individuals in an effort to help someone involved in a crisis situation, such as in the aftermath of a violent event, or as part of a newsworthy event due to public interest value, and this might outweigh the safety risks to a person. 

We will always try to assess the context in which the content is shared and, in such cases, we may allow the images or videos to remain on the service. For instance, we would take into consideration whether the  image is publicly available and/or is being covered by mainstream/traditional media (newspapers, TV channels, online news sites), or if a particular image and the accompanying tweet text adds value to the public discourse, is being shared in public interest, or is relevant to the community.

Feeling safe on Twitter is different for everyone, and our teams are constantly working to understand and address these needs. We know our work will never be done, and we will continue to invest in making our product and policies more robust and transparent to continue to earn the trust of the people using our service.

No, it went way beyond good ribbing, including people "joking" that I engaged in acts of bestiality with my feathered friends.  :(

At one point, someone even set up an online internet chat discussion room and invited people in to talk about me, which many participated in and said some really vile things about me, my parents, my sex life, my job, etc. for hours (with one fellow even claiming to be me and admitting that all the accusations were true).

How bad was it? It was so bad that Eminence, of all people, finally said "You guys have gone too far with Squistion, this amounts to cyber-bulling and should stop."

The pigeon emoji (for those who "missed" it) was an emoticon of a pigeon pooping and people in quoting me would frequently use the emoji to mock/ridicule my posts (sometime using multiple pigeon emojis). And there were, I think, 16 people here who changed their avatar to include a pigeon (some were kinda cute but seeing them in every thread got really tiresome).

And people did share real life details as they quoted me directly from my Twitter timeline (which has my real name). And in addition to all those who posted a link in the FFA to my Twitter account, one enterprising fellow went beyond that, found my Facebook account (which is family and friends only) and posted a link to that, which I thought was way beyond the pale.

As I said, I can kind of laugh about it now, and have moved on, but it was a pretty horrible experience for me at the time and went way beyond the "just good fun teasing' that some are claiming. 

We have actual law that determines who is a public vs private citizen
And Twitter has actual precedent of applying their own rules unevenly.

For example, there is a vast despicable under belly of Twitter where pedophiles buy and trade photos of underage girls and boys right out in the open. So much so that they post when someone "steals" their photos and tries to sell it themselves.  Twitter barely cares enough to delete their tweets when reported. But if someone tries to bring these tweets to light and make people aware of what is going on, they get a temporary ban of their account for "attacking a protected group."

So if this policy were to truly be enforced, I would imagine every single post of these underage individuals who obviously did not give their consent would at the very least be deleted as of today. I won't hold my breath waiting. 

This is someone I've followed for awhile. He's a former trauma counselor for teens and has seen all sorts of horrors. He calls out these types of people all the time and has been banned by Twitter multiple times for extended periods due to it. 

https://twitter.com/ThatUmbrella/status/1422549843961159688?t=xqiVQxITZTBx_R-mKioN3A&s=19

Sharing private media 
When we are notified by individuals depicted, or by an authorized representative, that they did not consent to having their private image or video shared, we will remove it. This policy is not applicable to media featuring public figures or individuals when media and accompanying Tweet text are shared in the public interest or add value to public discourse.
🤣 At the bolded.  So when they want and who they want.

No, it went way beyond good ribbing, including people "joking" that I engaged in acts of bestiality with my feathered friends.  :(

It's possible things slip through the cracks but anything like that posted here should have been reported and the poster permabanned. 

Users who are viewing this thread