What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Dorsey Stepping Down From Twitter - Effective Immediately (1 Viewer)

What do you think this means for Twitter?

• Great for Twitter

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Good for Twitter

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No significant change for Twitter

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Bad for Twitter

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Terrible for Twitter

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
I'm guessing there is some kind of #metoo thing going on here.  Y'know, the one where these guys are all supportive of it in public but behind the scenes they are the worst offenders.

Just my gut feeling.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went with Great for Twitter as a long term answer.  They need a front man who can lie to congress better.  Jack was too emotional in his decision making process. 

That job was about to get a lot harder with Truth coming out. 

It seems like Twitter has gotten a lot more censorious over the past couple of years.  I don't know anywhere near enough about the internal workings of Twitter to know what Dorsey's role in this is, but my guess is that whoever replaces him is likely to continue that trend and probably accelerate it by quite a bit.  

From a business standpoint, I doubt it's sustainable for a social media company to be overtly hostile to the free exchange of ideas.  Firms that have tried to make a run at Twitter have failed, but a lot of that is because they've been rightly viewed as hubs for one particular variety of extremist -- obviously I'm thinking of Parler here.  If Twitter is just going to brand itself as the home of a different flavor of extremism, I doubt it maintains its dominant market position.  But obviously that's just speculation.

Move me back to the middle.  The New CEO wasn't sharp enough to delete his old tweets before the promotion. Looks like a swell guy. 

Parag Agrawal
@paraga
"If they are not gonna make a distinction between muslims and extremists, then why should I distinguish between white people and racists."

Move me back to the middle.  The New CEO wasn't sharp enough to delete his old tweets before the promotion. Looks like a swell guy. 

Parag Agrawal
@paraga
"If they are not gonna make a distinction between muslims and extremists, then why should I distinguish between white people and racists."

Yep, move me back to the middle too.  :doh:

It appears @IvanKaramazov is correct in his observation.  

It depends on your definition of bad or good for Twitter. Good in a financial sense? Yes. The lunatic hobo is out and they can put a fresh and diverse face as the front man. Good on a freedom of speech sense? Not so much. The new guy is a bit more radical than Jack. 

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1465351179538509826?t=KdpCxUGgOz9Pc8OH1g6Nqg&s=19

Former CTO and new Twitter CEO Agrawal in November 2020 interview: "Our role is not to be bound by the First Amendment... focus[ing] less on thinking about free speech, but thinking about how the times have changed."

It depends on your definition of bad or good for Twitter. Good in a financial sense? Yes. The lunatic hobo is out and they can put a fresh and diverse face as the front man. Good on a freedom of speech sense? Not so much. The new guy is a bit more radical than Jack. 

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1465351179538509826?t=KdpCxUGgOz9Pc8OH1g6Nqg&s=19

Former CTO and new Twitter CEO Agrawal in November 2020 interview: "Our role is not to be bound by the First Amendment... focus[ing] less on thinking about free speech, but thinking about how the times have changed."

Translation: We want you to be able to say whatever you want as long as we agree with it.  Stalin couldn't have said it any better. 

I have no idea about anything. But reading the comments to a few blogs, the consensus seems to be that this is terrible for twitter with regard to censoring. It's mostly, "You're about to see how much Jack was holding off the censorship".  

Again, I have NO idea if that's true. But it seems like a lot of people thought this was bad news.  

"Parag Agrawal, Twitter’s chief technology officer, will take over."  I hope it doesn't become a thing where anyone who is concerned about the change is labeled a bigot. People can dislike change for lots of reasons. Like it or not, Twitter grew to a huge company. 

I'll also add, I'm fascinated by this kind of business navigation.

I'm in charge of a "social media" platform that is a micron compared to the size of Twitter.

But in lots of ways, I share some of the same decision making things in what we allow on our site. 

I feel for those folks trying to navigate.

I do know just as a matter of "I've seen this before" sometimes the "devil you know is better than the devil you don't". That's not to say anyone at Twitter is a devil of course. It's saying you may not like Dorsey, but at least you know him. It's entirely possible you might just like the new guy less. 

I'll also add, I'm fascinated by this kind of business navigation.

I'm in charge of a "social media" platform that is a micron compared to the size of Twitter.

But in lots of ways, I share some of the same decision making things in what we allow on our site. 

I feel for those folks trying to navigate.
Yea, I think people fail to realize the consequences if their platform is a free for all. As we all have shown too many times, we are terrible at censoring ourselves.

Now Joe, make sure you don't step aside though, for some may throw some unfounded accusations your way that paint you in a negative light

I do know just as a matter of "I've seen this before" sometimes the "devil you know is better than the devil you don't". That's not to say anyone at Twitter is a devil of course. It's saying you may not like Dorsey, but at least you know him. It's entirely possible you might just like the new guy less. 

Joe - if you step down is @FBG Moderator next in line to take over the throne?

Yea, I think people fail to realize the consequences if their platform is a free for all. As we all have shown too many times, we are terrible at censoring ourselves.

I know they have a huge number of people working on this for them but I can't imagine trying to moderate something like Twitter. 

Are people accusing Dorsey of negative things in the wake of this?
Now, the doesn't sound like the Twitter I know...

Look Twitter is a real time communication device, so it's helpful and has a place, but relatively speaking, not a lot of people use it.

And the voices that get amplified on there are the worst, loudest. 

It takes a lot to get banned on Twitter. But the arguments are the same as the PSF:

WHY CAN'T I BEHAVE LIKE AN ####### ON SOMEONE ELSE'S PLATFORM?

Now, the doesn't sound like the Twitter I know...

Look Twitter is a real time communication device, so it's helpful and has a place, but relatively speaking, not a lot of people use it.

And the voices that get amplified on there are the worst, loudest. 

It takes a lot to get banned on Twitter. But the arguments are the same as the PSF:

WHY CAN'T I BEHAVE LIKE AN ####### ON SOMEONE ELSE'S PLATFORM?

Except that's not what is happening on Twitter or any of the other social media platforms.

That's a gross exaggeration on your part and you know it is.

Been watching reruns of my old show to re-live the Reagan era glory days.

Dorsey is out because as someone mentioned earlier, his board and investors have no faith in him.  Simple as that.

Weird, because the article in the OP says there were no other reasons given other than "it's time to move on from the founders".

I must be doing something wrong.  I enjoy twitter - more so than the PSF.

By limiting the people I follow, and what I post, I don't get bogged down in any of the negativity.  I follow a bunch of news people from a variety of organizations, a bunch of Tottenham folks, a bunch of fantasy soccer nerds, and a few random folks I have discovered along the way that I find humorous/insightful.  (Certainly not everyone's cup of tea).

I engage with several people who have become iFriends like many here, but I see much less of the negativity that is ever-present here.

:shrug:

I found Twitter to be an awful cesspool of humanity. 
I hear this a lot but I must be twittering differently than most people.  I follow certain people that cover topics I am interested in and read their posts for news, that's it.   I just checked Twitter and saw that McCaffrey went on IR, Scherzer signed with the Mets and Kemba Walker got benched. I don't see a problem. :shrug:

Let's just hope Twitter goes away.  It's used for "evil" far more than good.

I'd be perfectly content if all these social media companies went belly up. 

I hear this a lot but I must be twittering differently than most people.  I follow certain people that cover topics I am interested in and read their posts for news, that's it.   I just checked Twitter and saw that

McCaffrey

went on IR, Scherzer signed with the Mets and Kemba

Walker

got benched. I don't see a problem. :shrug:

I would bet dollars to donuts that most people on Twitter aren't like you.  No way anyone can go on Twitter and not realize how awful people are.

Social media is a cancer.  Never used to be that way, but today it is. 

Weird, because the article in the OP says there were no other reasons given other than "it's time to move on from the founders".
I’m sure we won’t read the real reasons anywhere in print.  After 25 years in corporate America, I don’t believe a single word written in most press releases.

I’m sure we won’t read the real reasons anywhere in print.  After 25 years in corporate America, I don’t believe a single word written in most press releases.

Yeah, you're probably right.

Side tangent: So I speculate on the reasons and @the moops lambasts me for baseless speculation.  YOU speculate and nothing but 🦗 from him.

I can’t believe anyone still uses Twitter
Twitter is actually super-good if you follow the right people.  It's a vastly better source of information about covid-19 than the CDC, for example, because the experts posting on Twitter don't ignore the experience of non-US countries, don't try to psychoanalyze their audience to figure out how to craft their message in the most manipulative way possible, and aren't paralyzed by downside risk aversion.  Of course, if you follow the wrong people you'll probably find yourself with a pantry full of ivermectin or whatever the quack treatment of choice happens to be right now.

Twitter is infinitely better at covering breaking news than the MSM.  Like better in the sense of not even being in the same general universe.  This assumes that you're following people who do nuance, and also that you're following people who represent a diverse set of viewpoints.  You can certainly build a little bubble that exactly reinforces all your priors if you choose to do so.

I've mentioned before that Twitter provides a public service by giving media figures an opportunity to beclown themselves in public.  If it weren't for Twitter, you might think that Nicole Hannah Jones (for example) is a cutting-edge thinker because of all the credibility laundering done by the New York Times and MacArthur Foundation.  Thanks to Twitter, we know that she's just another troll who happens to have a platform.  Speaking as someone who thinks that we should view the MSM with a high degree of cynicism, I consider this dynamic to be an unalloyed benefit to society.

The problem with Twitter is that it's too easy to let it melt your brain.  But honestly that falls under the category of user error.  (Edit: I know there's also a lot of bullying on Twitter, but I've never actually posted anything there, and most of the people who fall victim to bullying do so because they got the attention they were seeking when they posted something deliberately inflammatory.  Stage 2 of #### around and find out.) 

I would bet dollars to donuts that most people on Twitter aren't like you.  No way anyone can go on Twitter and not realize how awful people are.

But that's a choice.  If you don't follow people that are awful and don't read replies it's a pretty useful news source.

Having said that, I would never have a Facebook account so I get where you are coming from. I just think it's easier to avoid stuff on Twitter than other platforms.

Twitter is actually super-good if you follow the right people.  It's a vastly better source of information about covid-19 than the CDC, for example, because the experts posting on Twitter don't ignore the experience of non-US countries, don't try to psychoanalyze their audience to figure out how to craft their message in the most manipulative way possible, and aren't paralyzed by downside risk aversion.  Of course, if you follow the wrong people you'll probably find yourself with a pantry full of ivermectin or whatever the quack treatment of choice happens to be right now.

Twitter is infinitely better at covering breaking news than the MSM.  Like better in the sense of not even being in the same general universe.  This assumes that you're following people who do nuance, and also that you're following people who represent a diverse set of viewpoints.  You can certainly build a little bubble that exactly reinforces all your priors if you choose to do so.

I've mentioned before that Twitter provides a public service by giving media figures an opportunity to beclown themselves in public.  If it weren't for Twitter, you might think that Nicole Hannah Jones (for example) is a cutting-edge thinker because of all the credibility laundering done by the New York Times and MacArthur Foundation.  Thanks to Twitter, we know that she's just another troll who happens to have a platform.  Speaking as someone who thinks that we should view the MSM with a high degree of cynicism, I consider this dynamic to be an unalloyed benefit to society.

The problem with Twitter is that it's too easy to let it melt your brain.  But honestly that falls under the category of user error. 
Thx IK.  A few others have shared similarly.  I guess there just aren’t that many things I care to follow closely — except for sports and Covid and politics — and all of those it’s easier to just come here to FBGs.  

Yeah, you're probably right.

Side tangent: So I speculate on the reasons and @the moops lambasts me for baseless speculation.  YOU speculate and nothing but 🦗 from him.
You speculate that he has some sexual assault metoo stuff going on

Alex speculates that the board lost faith in him.

You don't see the difference between those two things?

As with any online content, of course you never read the comments/replies.  Find resources who provide good content, read that content, done.  For me, its been fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread