What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jack Dorsey Stepping Down From Twitter - Effective Immediately (1 Viewer)

What do you think this means for Twitter?

• Great for Twitter

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • Good for Twitter

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No significant change for Twitter

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Bad for Twitter

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Terrible for Twitter

Votes: 5 9.1%

• Total voters
Twitter is awesome if you use it right. I know certain segments of the population are probably dunking on Jack because they think blocking the spread of outright disinformation related to COVID or election conspiracy theories = banning conservative thought (which is ridiculous but that’s the argument).

But him stepping down was a long time coming and had little or nothing to do with any of that. Investors haven’t liked the fact he was stretched as CEO of two companies for years (the other being Square) and wanted him to pick one or the other. It got to the point activist investors (Elliot?) got involved and this pressure is likely why it happened. It’s a gigantic platform they haven’t been able to monetize very well so this was a necessary change in that respect.

That's exactly what's happening.  All one has to do to blow your theories out of the water is just point to Kyle Rittenhouse to see how these platforms certainly ARE banning opposing views.  IMO, anyone looking at this objectively simply cannot dispute this fact.

The fact that you think this way only reinforces the notion that as long as helps "your side", you're okay with censorship. 

Last edited by a moderator:
But wouldn't this mean something like if you saw a person being beaten up and you took a video of it, you could not post it on twitter unless you got permission from the person that was beating the victim?

or permission from the person delivering the beating?   Hmmm....I wonder which one is going to say "No"?

And how about anyone in the background?  You got to get all of their permission too?

That's going to be really difficult to enforce.

It's also likely going to lead to a Project Veritas-type saying their free speech is being stifled because Twitter won't let them post their heavily-doctored, misleading/deceitful hit videos of private individuals, a complaint which will eventually get laundered by more "mainstream" right-wing outlets into, again, "Big Tech is Censoring Conservative Opinions." 

I find it ridiculous that you believe Project Veritas (and other "conservative" media) is partaking in "heavily-doctored, misleading/deceitful hit videos", but find it completely absurd that Social media is banning opposing thought (not to mention the MSM in general)?  That these same platforms are NOT heavily slanted in one direction and misleading/misinforming/gaslighting those that don't conform to THE MESSAGETM?

You see how absurd you sound?

That's exactly what's happening.  All one has to do to blow your theories out of the water is just point to Kyle Rittenhouse to see how these platforms certainly ARE banning opposing views.  IMO, anyone looking at this objectively simply cannot dispute this fact.

The fact that you think this way only reinforces the notion that as long as helps "your side", you're okay with censorship. 
The Rittenhouse verdict and the Waukesha killing occurred just days apart.  If people don't see how these episodes were treated night-and-day differently, they're just choosing to ignore reality.  Best to disengage with those folks and move on.

The Rittenhouse verdict and the Waukesha killing occurred just days apart.  If people don't see how these episodes were treated night-and-day differently, they're just choosing to ignore reality.  Best to disengage with those folks and move on.

It's gaslighting posts like @McBokonon that I feel the need to debunk, though.  If we say nothing, then anyone with no knowledge might believe the :bs:  he's pushing.  Yeah, I know, I can't fight back against EVERYONE, but being tactical at least makes me feel like I'm doing something.  :)

But, yeah, you're probably right.  Best to disengage.

I responded to you via p.m. so I assume you already got that but just in case I’m doing it again here.

I still could not send a PM to@KarmaPolice  but maybe he has his turned off or they are full, he hasn’t responded to let me know.

Thanks. Not sure what was happening there.

Seems to be working. If anyone else has trouble, please @ me here and let me know exactly what kind of error message you're getting. 

I would bet dollars to donuts that most people on Twitter aren't like you.  No way anyone can go on Twitter and not realize how awful people are.

Social media is a cancer.  Never used to be that way, but today it is. 
Social media is like walking down a busy street in NYC and every person is talking to you along the way. In real life you would likely ignore most/all of these people. That's how it should be in social media as well or you can just turn it off or deactivate your account. I chose the latter. 

For folks that had tried to send a PM and had trouble, was it a group PM that also included FBG Moderator? 

Or a PM just to me?

Here's the full interview with Agrawal last November right before they banned Trump from Twitter the first time.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/11/18/1012066

"Agrawal: Our role is not to be bound by the First Amendment, but our role is to serve a healthy public conversation and our moves are reflective of things that we believe lead to a healthier public conversation. The kinds of things that we do about this is, focus less on thinking about free speech, but thinking about how the times have changed. One of the changes today that we see is speech is easy on the internet. Most people can speak. Where our role is particularly emphasized is who can be heard. The scarce commodity today is attention. There's a lot of content out there. A lot of tweets out there, not all of it gets attention, some subset of it gets attention. And so increasingly our role is moving towards how we recommend content and that sort of, is, is, a struggle that we're working through in terms of how we make sure these recommendation systems that we're building, how we direct people's attention is leading to a healthy public conversation that is most participatory. "

Here's the full interview with Agrawal last November right before they banned Trump from Twitter the first time.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/11/18/1012066

"Agrawal: Our role is not to be bound by the First Amendment, but our role is to serve a healthy public conversation and our moves are reflective of things that we believe lead to a healthier public conversation. The kinds of things that we do about this is, focus less on thinking about free speech, but thinking about how the times have changed. One of the changes today that we see is speech is easy on the internet. Most people can speak. Where our role is particularly emphasized is who can be heard. The scarce commodity today is attention. There's a lot of content out there. A lot of tweets out there, not all of it gets attention, some subset of it gets attention. And so increasingly our role is moving towards how we recommend content and that sort of, is, is, a struggle that we're working through in terms of how we make sure these recommendation systems that we're building, how we direct people's attention is leading to a healthy public conversation that is most participatory. "

That sounds a lot like, "We know what's best and we'll let you post what we want to see and we'll amplify the things we want and we'll minimize the things we don't like". 

Which is why I am fascinated by this. As that's basically what we do here on the Footballguys forum. So I totally get that thinking. 

I'm just not sure that's how people think of Twitter. 

I don’t want anyone posting videos of me on Twitter without my permission.

I think most people would agree with you. Most people don't want their picture posted without permission. 

What people do want to post though  (and see) is the picture of the person doing something offensive that they want the world to see. Whether it's the guy at the MAGA rally wearing an offensive shirt or the woman in the park threatening to call the police because she didn't like their color or a host of other things. 

It'll be interesting how they navigate this.

I'm sure these are super smart people making these decisions. The fact it came down the day after Dorsey stepped down seems obvious it was something they were planning to do and I'd assume it was well thought through. 

I think most people would agree with you. Most people don't want their picture posted without permission. 

What people do want to post though  (and see) is the picture of the person doing something offensive that they want the world to see. Whether it's the guy at the MAGA rally wearing an offensive shirt or the woman in the park threatening to call the police because she didn't like their color or a host of other things. 

It'll be interesting how they navigate this.

I'm sure these are super smart people making these decisions. The fact it came down the day after Dorsey stepped down seems obvious it was something they were planning to do and I'd assume it was well thought through. 
Yeah.  I appreciate that is what many people want to do and feel they have the right to do.

I just happen to disagree.  IMO nobody has the right to post a video of me anywhere publicly.

"Good natured ribbing" really relies on the person on the receiving end being receptive to the attention.

I think this was far more than good-natured ribbing.  It was more along the lines of "we mock what we don't understand" - and is indicative of most of society.  It also became a cumulative effect type of bullying.

I think we also should consider that what some people consider "teasing" others would consider "bullying" - and I think we (collectively) should always ask - "Why are we 'teasing' someone?  to what end?"  Certainly there is room for it - but its a very thin line, and many times that line gets crossed, both intentionally and unintentionally, because we don't think about it from the perspective of the receiving end.  Everyone has different tolerance levels.

If you know a person, and understand their tolerance, you know when to pull back.  When its a stranger, we should not anticipate that their tolerance levels are the same as our own.
We don't know what PMs squis was receiving from people.  All we could see was what was posted on this site.  I chuckled at a few of the pigeon jokes when I first learned about them, but it was pretty obvious that squis was not amused by it, so I never partook.  The whole thing went on way too long to the point it was uncomfortable to me as an outside observer

Both are speculation.  One is less than positive and one is REALLY less than positive. 

I see that YOU can justify it, but that's it.  I mean, if you're going to bag on someone making baseless accusations, both mine and Alex fall under that. Neither of us has inside knowledge so both are, technically, baseless.  I could be right just as Alex could be.  Or we both could be right.  Or we both could be wrong.

I know why you did what you did.  You don't have to hide it.    :shrug:

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.  :thumbup:

@the moops and @Alex P Keaton

Maybe my "baseless speculation" wasn't as off as you thought it was:  https://twitter.com/PJHart1/status/1465737868840681480?t=NB5WypOJEzwDG35IdvC-jA&s=19.  Maybe there is something to it.  

@the moops - I accept your apology.  :thumbup:

Thanks, @Insein for posting this in the Maxwell thread.

@the moops and @Alex P Keaton

Maybe my "baseless speculation" wasn't as off as you thought it was:  https://twitter.com/PJHart1/status/1465737868840681480?t=NB5WypOJEzwDG35IdvC-jA&s=19.  Maybe there is something to it.  

@the moops - I accept your apology.  :thumbup:

Thanks, @Insein for posting this in the Maxwell thread.
This is nuts man. Sorry but when you post conspiracy theories like this #### you only further the distrust in the very thing you rail against. I urge you to take a moment and at least type the names of people into google to see if in fact any of it is true.

So in other words, stop the blantant false accusations until you got something more than some random twitter user who doesn't even have her facts straight. 

Walmart CFO - In a news release, the company said Biggs will remain in the role until a successor is named, help with the transition and depart the company on Jan. 31, 2023

Goldman Sachs CFO - who is stepping down as CFO at year-end and retiring in January 2022, Goldman said Tuesday (this was announced in Sept of this year)

CNBC CFO - I can't even find if this person exists, nevermind that they stepped down yesterday

The problem is the MSM is picking all of the awful posts on Twitter and blaring them 24/7.  

So when someone says, "You can craft Twitter into what you want", how does that help me when I'm browsing the web and it's shoved in my face anyways?  I don't even have a Twitter account.
This is an interesting take you had yesterday. One that many of us can agree on.

Unfortunately you had to go do what you complain about and find an awful tweet and quote it

This is nuts man. Sorry but when you post conspiracy theories like this #### you only further the distrust in the very thing you rail against. I urge you to take a moment and at least type the names of people into google to see if in fact any of it is true.

So in other words, stop the blantant false accusations until you got something more than some random twitter user who doesn't even have her facts straight. 

Walmart CFO - In a news release, the company said Biggs will remain in the role until a successor is named, help with the transition and depart the company on Jan. 31, 2023

Goldman Sachs CFO - who is stepping down as CFO at year-end and retiring in January 2022, Goldman said Tuesday (this was announced in Sept of this year)

CNBC CFO - I can't even find if this person exists, nevermind that they stepped down yesterday

This is an interesting take you had yesterday. One that many of us can agree on.

Unfortunately you had to go do what you complain about and find an awful tweet and quote it

You could have just said, "I'm sorry for doubting you, BladeRunner" instead of being long-winded about it across TWO posts.

Anyways, apology accepted.  :)

They were absolutely treated very differently. The question then becomes is it appropriate to treat these stories differently? I think a reasonable argument can be made that it is. 

They were absolutely treated very differently. The question then becomes is it appropriate to treat these stories differently? I think a reasonable argument can be made that it is. 

Sure you can make that argument.  But anyone who watches news should easily see how stories are consistently reported according to advance particular political narratives.  I get it, you agree with most all of those narratives.  But that is not what journalism should be about. That is propaganda. 

Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal said the company’s “role is not to be bound by the First Amendment, but our role is to serve a healthy public conversation and our moves are reflective of things that we believe lead to a healthier public conversation.”

Twitter is headed for the toilet.  This is the exact opposite of what is needed.  The idea that elitist need to control public conversations for your own good in all of human history has been a recipe for disaster 100 percent of the time. 

Sure you can make that argument.  But anyone who watches news should easily see how stories are consistently reported according to advance particular political narratives.  I get it, you agree with most all of those narratives.  But that is not what journalism should be about. That is propaganda. 
Totally agree.  I’ve been watching Fox News for awhile now, and it’s disturbing how skewed their coverage is.  Pure propaganda.

Twitter CEO Parag Agrawal said the company’s “role is not to be bound by the First Amendment, but our role is to serve a healthy public conversation and our moves are reflective of things that we believe lead to a healthier public conversation.”

Twitter is headed for the toilet.  This is the exact opposite of what is needed.  The idea that elitist need to control public conversations for your own good in all of human history has been a recipe for disaster 100 percent of the time. 
It’s a private business.  If you don’t like it, start your own competing version of Twitter that is no-holds-barred.

Totally agree.  I’ve been watching Fox News for awhile now, and it’s disturbing how skewed their coverage is.  Pure propaganda.

The difference is, I can be honest and see and admit Fox does it,  while you either can't or won't about sources on your side.  

The difference is, I can be honest and see and admit Fox does it,  while you either can't or won't about sources on your side.  
Not true.  Disappointed you would say that about me.

I actually don’t watch any of it - either side.  My parents watch CNN and MSNBC - most of it is total garbage.  Absolutely left biased.  Rachel Maddow is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

That sounds a lot like, "We know what's best and we'll let you post what we want to see and we'll amplify the things we want and we'll minimize the things we don't like". 

Which is why I am fascinated by this. As that's basically what we do here on the Footballguys forum. So I totally get that thinking. 

I'm just not sure that's how people think of Twitter. 
I've made this exact same point here on this board multiple times.  People who are absolutely bent out of shape that twitter is doing, as a private business, what they want to do with their business participate here all the time.  And obviously they participate in twitter as well or they wouldn't be able to honestly make the arguments they are making.  The only way to get those companies to change is to ignore them.  If people started going away from FBG, you'd assuredly look at your policies and product to see what was going wrong and how you could make changes, right?

It doesn't really matter what people "think" twitter is.  Twitter is a business, just like yours.  They have a vision of what they want their product to be, just like you.  They have requirements, just like you.  It's no different just because of the size of the platform or it's popularity.  They aren't any more obligated to bow to the vision of others than you are.  That's a business decision and people can quit the platform if they don't like it.  They can start their own if they want.  That's what this country is about right?  Under the current circumstances, these platforms are benefiting from that "shock jock....Howard Stern" phenomena where people just can't help themselves.  That's on the people, not the business.

Alex P Keaton said:
It’s not a monopoly.
Your right. It's an oligarchy. See Parler. They were Twitters biggest upstart threat last year. From election night up until 1/6, they had gained nearly 10% of Twitters user base. Then they got blamed for the 1/6 fiasco and it was just the excuse the oligarchy needed to eliminate them. Google and Apple removed them from their stores and Amazon took away their servers. No longer a threat. 

Your right. It's an oligarchy. See Parler. They were Twitters biggest upstart threat last year. From election night up until 1/6, they had gained nearly 10% of Twitters user base. Then they got blamed for the 1/6 fiasco and it was just the excuse the oligarchy needed to eliminate them. Google and Apple removed them from their stores and Amazon took away their servers. No longer a threat. 

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/parler/id1402727988

It's not an oligarchy either :shrug:  

Oligopoly. Similar concepts. 

The country, it could be argued, is an oligarchy. We should strive to get corporations out of elections, for example.

So, when Parler were not complying with the contractual arrangements with Apple, Google, Amazon - those companies required them to be in compliance?  How un-American!

Yeah, that's a gross exaggeration, mischaracterization and misrepresentation of what was actually happening.  You know that.  I know that.  We ALL know that.

So, when Parler were not complying with the contractual arrangements with Apple, Google, Amazon - those companies required them to be in compliance?  How un-American!
You've been able to download the android app from the website since day one....not sure about apple.

Users who are viewing this thread