What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jamaal Charles, RB, Kansas City Chiefs (1 Viewer)

Thanks for all that sage wisdom :yawn: When I'm cashing in again this year I'll not think of your advice
Was a very tongue and cheek comment mate.Along the lines of WOW. :shock: He thinks Charles is gunna suck.Im high on Charles this year, tried looking at all the data (history+his types+short season data+GL RB added) but i just cant get past the eyeball test. I suppose im gunna live and die by this test this year as Charles is lock for me in every draft im in. Still read the Charles Doomsdayers with massive interest to try and make me see the negatives.Apologys for the Aussie humour that maybe didnt come across the right way. :construction:

So, questions for the Charles luvvahs out there. What do the first thee rounds of the draft look like in your head? Are you drafting him in the second round to ensure you get him? If so, are you drafting WR in the first? If you're rolling the dice by waiting until the third, are you securing one RB and one WR? Two WR?

I'm essentially interested to know if you are all happy with having him as your true #1, or if you would prefer to see him as your #2 with upside.

Thanks.

So, questions for the Charles luvvahs out there. What do the first thee rounds of the draft look like in your head? Are you drafting him in the second round to ensure you get him? If so, are you drafting WR in the first? If you're rolling the dice by waiting until the third, are you securing one RB and one WR? Two WR?I'm essentially interested to know if you are all happy with having him as your true #1, or if you would prefer to see him as your #2 with upside.Thanks.
I'm a Charles liker. If I have a top 3 pick and Charles is there with my 2nd rounder I would def take him (with the exception of a D Williams plummet or something like that). A middling pick it depends on the scoring system and who else falls. I do not plan on taking him earlier than pick 17 or 18.

I got charles as the 3rd pick in the 2nd round of a 16-team 3RR non-ppr draft. Got Steven Jackson in 1.

I don't mind getting RBs on bad teams as long as they can catch the ball and stay on the field on 3rd down for draws/screens/dumpoffs.

In round3 I could have had Rice/Colston/Boldin/Ocho/Steve Smith/Crabtree, in a smaller league I could have had Jennings/Marshall and possibly Fitz.

I think it's sacrificing an elite WR to get Charles in 2, but I highly doubt you're staring at Charles in 3 unless you're in a non-3RR 10 teamer and you pick high. Don't think QB will be an issue as Schaub/Brady were around in 3 for me. I ended up with Jackson/Charles at RB, Eli at QB, Vernon Davis at TE and Nicks at WR so far and we're in the 5th round. I try to take TE in 3 because our league is so big and owners end up running for TEs earlier than they would and I end up with a deal at WR in 5/6. 10 TEs are off the board so far in 5, so my plan is working. :rant:

If Jackson/Charles end up with 1500+ total yards and 8+ TDs apiece and I can snag a Santana Moss/Bowe/Welker as my WR2 I'll feel pretty comfortable.

In hindsight I could have wound up with Jackson/Charles/Brady/Witten/Bowe but I hate having a mid-level TE in this league, and no guarantee Witten would have been there plus there are only so many TDs to go around on the Chiefs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all that sage wisdom :lmao: When I'm cashing in again this year I'll not think of your advice
Was a very tongue and cheek comment mate.Along the lines of WOW. :lmao: He thinks Charles is gunna suck.Im high on Charles this year, tried looking at all the data (history+his types+short season data+GL RB added) but i just cant get past the eyeball test. I suppose im gunna live and die by this test this year as Charles is lock for me in every draft im in. Still read the Charles Doomsdayers with massive interest to try and make me see the negatives.Apologys for the Aussie humour that maybe didnt come across the right way. :rant:
Ahh, that explains it. :lmao: No problemo. I didn't say he's gonna suck, I'm just farther away from the C Johnson compares then some here see. I felt Charles was in the closest position to pull a "Ray Rice" situation then most. Not a Ray Rice physical comparison but similar situation going into the year, minus the great line that Rice had going for him last season. Only Rice was being taken a couple rounds later last season. Hey, if you're right about him then you're in for a great season. I was the same way regarding Rice last year and it paid off.

I am a Chiefs fan and I really like Charles and was very impressed by what he was able to do last year, but there is no way I'm touching him until the late 2nd round this year and will likely let someone else take the risk that he flops because unless he just falls, he won't be any of my rosters, especially as a RB1...I actually just traded him for Schaub and 2 1sts in a KC Chiefs homer keeper league...The Charles love has gotten out of hand and I considered him my RB4 behind Rice, Mendy and Beanie...Just a year ago there was a young can't miss dynamo named Slaton and another one named Forte that was there in the mid 1st or even falling to the bottom of the 1st round, the year before it was a another flash in the pan like E. Graham or Addai that didn't live up to their ADP and required an early pick, the names go on and on... I hope I'm wrong, but he looks like the guy that is going to kill your roster this year because you will have to reach for him and he will have to put up some serious numbers to justifiy his ADP.Charles is a good player, there is no doubt he is exciting, but his value skyrocketed based on a couple of unreal games at the end of the year...this is still the same ####ty KC line, Matt Cassell, a rookie TE, Bowe and Chambers dropping balls hitting them in the numbers, etc...Charles is the flashy player like DJAX that has an inflated value because of the long TDs. If you think JC is busting off those long ones a couple of times a game, then I say draft him 1st overall because the projections that some have posted in this thread make him a sure-fire top 3 player...2k yds on 300 plus touches? If that was so easy for a guy to put up on a bad team, well then SJAX wouldn't be going for peanuts right now in dynasty leagues...he was only able to put up one season like that and to me there is no comparison in talent when comparing a beast like SJAX to CJ.At some point, likely the mid to late 2nd, he becomes worth the risk because the guys around him carry similar risk, but his ADP as RB10 is WAY too high right now and it forces you to take him as a RB1 and I'm not willing to make him an anchor on my team at that price when there are safer guys there with just as much upside...I guess it just depends on how much risk you can handle.I could see if everything goes right that Charles could get his 1,200 yds and up to 400 or so receiving, but I think many are discounting TJ in the redzone. CJ just isn't going to hold up to the pounding of a full season and if he does, he isn't going to get all of those goalline chances, IMO.0 poI think a smarter play would be to get your stud WR and take a guy like McCoy later and get similar production at RB.Just my $.0210
you are saying he is good and predicting 1600 yards from scrimmage and say he is worth at most late 2nd early third... wow 1600 yards would be awesome I would think he would be top 10 overall unless u think he is getting 2-3 tds this year..... even 1200 and 50 for 400 with 8-10 tds puts him about 260-270 points as a top 6-7 rb in ppr....
The problem is that you are casually throwing around 1,600 yfs like it is something that every RB that starts the majority of the games can put up with ease. Dude, I guarantee you that I hope I'm wrong and that JC leads the Chiefs to the Super Bowl, but I'm trying not to be biased one way or another and I think too many people are jumping onboard and expecting the best case scenario...when in reality its probably not going to happen...especially when his TDs were hard to replicate since several were long and flashy play where he just outran the defense. I think if you can get him as your RB2, then by all means pull the trigger whenever you get him, but the problem is that by the time most of these redrafts roll around, he is going to be going late 1st/very early 2nd and I'm not willing to put my season on his shoulders, plain and simple. To put that kind of responsibility on him as your anchor, you have to believe in the coaches, QB, WRs, OL, etc... and there are no indications that they are any better than last year. For players that are going to have a comparable PPR ADP, I'd much rather have the stability of a Ryan Grant or M. Turner...sure they aren't flashy, but they produce and have a small chance at busting. Can you say that about Charles? I don't think you can, especially with a potential TD vulture like TJ. To the person that mentioned earlier that he is like CJ 2008 or Ray Rice 2009, I agree, his numbers are likely to be good, but not as good as they can be because of the TD vulture...next year, he might be the consensus #1 or he might have fallen off the map like Slaton or Forte.To the person that got SJAX and Charles...that is awesome 1-2 punch at RB... nothing but upside in that situation and he could very well be the piece that wins the league, but I like that you have protected yourself by getting SJAX to reduce the risk.

Invictus~Bronte said:
He looks closer to Norwood then CJ to me. Good straightline speed but nowhere near the elusiveness or vision of CJ. He can have a nice year but the first thing that jumped out at me re-visiting the highlights were the scores of the games and the competition. Watching Forsett's highlights impressed me more. And he's much slower.
:lmao: U watch footy way different to me then. I find it better if u open ur eyes when judging talent :excited:
lkin :shrug: lol yea what the hell are you talkin about good straight line but nowhere near elusive or as good vision.. WRONG.. open your eyes when watchin the game it will help :excited:

I am a Chiefs fan and I really like Charles and was very impressed by what he was able to do last year, but there is no way I'm touching him until the late 2nd round this year and will likely let someone else take the risk that he flops because unless he just falls, he won't be any of my rosters, especially as a RB1...I actually just traded him for Schaub and 2 1sts in a KC Chiefs homer keeper league...The Charles love has gotten out of hand and I considered him my RB4 behind Rice, Mendy and Beanie...Just a year ago there was a young can't miss dynamo named Slaton and another one named Forte that was there in the mid 1st or even falling to the bottom of the 1st round, the year before it was a another flash in the pan like E. Graham or Addai that didn't live up to their ADP and required an early pick, the names go on and on... I hope I'm wrong, but he looks like the guy that is going to kill your roster this year because you will have to reach for him and he will have to put up some serious numbers to justifiy his ADP.Charles is a good player, there is no doubt he is exciting, but his value skyrocketed based on a couple of unreal games at the end of the year...this is still the same ####ty KC line, Matt Cassell, a rookie TE, Bowe and Chambers dropping balls hitting them in the numbers, etc...Charles is the flashy player like DJAX that has an inflated value because of the long TDs. If you think JC is busting off those long ones a couple of times a game, then I say draft him 1st overall because the projections that some have posted in this thread make him a sure-fire top 3 player...2k yds on 300 plus touches? If that was so easy for a guy to put up on a bad team, well then SJAX wouldn't be going for peanuts right now in dynasty leagues...he was only able to put up one season like that and to me there is no comparison in talent when comparing a beast like SJAX to CJ.At some point, likely the mid to late 2nd, he becomes worth the risk because the guys around him carry similar risk, but his ADP as RB10 is WAY too high right now and it forces you to take him as a RB1 and I'm not willing to make him an anchor on my team at that price when there are safer guys there with just as much upside...I guess it just depends on how much risk you can handle.I could see if everything goes right that Charles could get his 1,200 yds and up to 400 or so receiving, but I think many are discounting TJ in the redzone. CJ just isn't going to hold up to the pounding of a full season and if he does, he isn't going to get all of those goalline chances, IMO.0 poI think a smarter play would be to get your stud WR and take a guy like McCoy later and get similar production at RB.Just my $.0210
you are saying he is good and predicting 1600 yards from scrimmage and say he is worth at most late 2nd early third... wow 1600 yards would be awesome I would think he would be top 10 overall unless u think he is getting 2-3 tds this year..... even 1200 and 50 for 400 with 8-10 tds puts him about 260-270 points as a top 6-7 rb in ppr....
The problem is that you are casually throwing around 1,600 yfs like it is something that every RB that starts the majority of the games can put up with ease. Dude, I guarantee you that I hope I'm wrong and that JC leads the Chiefs to the Super Bowl, but I'm trying not to be biased one way or another and I think too many people are jumping onboard and expecting the best case scenario...when in reality its probably not going to happen...especially when his TDs were hard to replicate since several were long and flashy play where he just outran the defense. I think if you can get him as your RB2, then by all means pull the trigger whenever you get him, but the problem is that by the time most of these redrafts roll around, he is going to be going late 1st/very early 2nd and I'm not willing to put my season on his shoulders, plain and simple. To put that kind of responsibility on him as your anchor, you have to believe in the coaches, QB, WRs, OL, etc... and there are no indications that they are any better than last year. For players that are going to have a comparable PPR ADP, I'd much rather have the stability of a Ryan Grant or M. Turner...sure they aren't flashy, but they produce and have a small chance at busting. Can you say that about Charles? I don't think you can, especially with a potential TD vulture like TJ. To the person that mentioned earlier that he is like CJ 2008 or Ray Rice 2009, I agree, his numbers are likely to be good, but not as good as they can be because of the TD vulture...next year, he might be the consensus #1 or he might have fallen off the map like Slaton or Forte.To the person that got SJAX and Charles...that is awesome 1-2 punch at RB... nothing but upside in that situation and he could very well be the piece that wins the league, but I like that you have protected yourself by getting SJAX to reduce the risk.
I just got Ray Rice and charles in a 12 team ppr.... when did anyone say he was gonna be like CJ 2008 the numbers weren't that great I compare him to CJ2k 09 not 08. For all of you CJ fans Slaton beat him out in rushing yards and fantasy points in 08 ppr. go chew on that CJ lovers

I just got Ray Rice and charles in a 12 team ppr.... when did anyone say he was gonna be like CJ 2008 the numbers weren't that great I compare him to CJ2k 09 not 08. For all of you CJ fans Slaton beat him out in rushing yards and fantasy points in 08 ppr. go chew on that CJ lovers
You just made my point, he is a incredible RB2 because of the upside when paired with a stud...and you got him in the late 2nd round, right? The CJ 2008 comment was because White was stealing touches and CJ didn't have the statline of a true workhorse RB until 2009...then he blew up.

I have drafted Charles in 3 Dynasty start-ups this year, always as my second back.

In the most recent draft, I selected MJD at pick 1.4 and then Charles at pick 2.9. To me, the signing of Thomas Jones was just the thing JC needed to fall into the second round. If Charles still had a sorry back-up, he would have definately gone late 1st early second. TJ means very little to the success or failure of JC. Here is why:

Charles will be given the starting job in camp. If he struggles and TJ gets the job, Charles was a bust to begin with. If Charles picks up where he left off last year, does anyone truly believe the Chiefs will pull him off the field except to get his breathe? TJ does not effect Charles' value what so ever.

Another reason I am hearing for why Charles can't dominate this year is the "beat up on crappy defenses" reason. Has anyone looked at KC's schedule? Last year they played Pitt, Baltimore, Eagles, Dallas, Giants, Redskins, and Cincinatti. These teams have good to great defenses.

This year, in addition to playing Denver, Oakland and San Diego 2 times (all of which ranked in the bottom 15 against the run, they add the following teams:

Cleveland-29th

Indy-T18th

Texans-T-18

Jaguars-T-12th

Bills -31st

Arizona-28th

Seattle-T-12

St. Louis-22nd

Tennessee-T-18

And for the record: Oakland-T-28th Denver-T-28th San Diego -T-28th

These are a ranking of average yard per carry against. Total rush yards are misleading because often teams fall behind and abandon the run. AYPCA is a better testament to a defenses ability to stop the run.

The lone top 10 run defense the Chiefs will face in 2010 is San Fran who ranked 2nd in The NFL last year. Last year they faced 7 top 10 run defenses (Only 2 during Charles'run)!

Charles actually has many more terrible defenses with which to pad his stats with this season and with the addition of Charlie Weiss, it stands to reason his receptions could also soar over 50 because of the pourous KC defense and the need to play catch up.

I put his floor at 1,200 total yards and 45 receptions and his ceiling at 1,800 total yards and 70 receptions.

Invictus~Bronte said:
He looks closer to Norwood then CJ to me. Good straightline speed but nowhere near the elusiveness or vision of CJ. He can have a nice year but the first thing that jumped out at me re-visiting the highlights were the scores of the games and the competition. Watching Forsett's highlights impressed me more. And he's much slower.
:lmao: U watch footy way different to me then. I find it better if u open ur eyes when judging talent :excited:
lkin :goodposting: lol yea what the hell are you talkin about good straight line but nowhere near elusive or as good vision.. WRONG.. open your eyes when watchin the game it will help :excited:
Thanks Coach I'll be sure to follow your EXPERT advice, where would we be without such succinct knowledge? You must be right he's a HOF'er WTF was I looking at?? He's definitely leaps above CJ's elusiveness and visionHow did I win the few k I took home last year without YOU :loco:

I am a Chiefs fan and I really like Charles and was very impressed by what he was able to do last year, but there is no way I'm touching him until the late 2nd round this year and will likely let someone else take the risk that he flops because unless he just falls, he won't be any of my rosters, especially as a RB1...I actually just traded him for Schaub and 2 1sts in a KC Chiefs homer keeper league...The Charles love has gotten out of hand and I considered him my RB4 behind Rice, Mendy and Beanie...Just a year ago there was a young can't miss dynamo named Slaton and another one named Forte that was there in the mid 1st or even falling to the bottom of the 1st round, the year before it was a another flash in the pan like E. Graham or Addai that didn't live up to their ADP and required an early pick, the names go on and on... I hope I'm wrong, but he looks like the guy that is going to kill your roster this year because you will have to reach for him and he will have to put up some serious numbers to justifiy his ADP.Charles is a good player, there is no doubt he is exciting, but his value skyrocketed based on a couple of unreal games at the end of the year...this is still the same ####ty KC line, Matt Cassell, a rookie TE, Bowe and Chambers dropping balls hitting them in the numbers, etc...Charles is the flashy player like DJAX that has an inflated value because of the long TDs. If you think JC is busting off those long ones a couple of times a game, then I say draft him 1st overall because the projections that some have posted in this thread make him a sure-fire top 3 player...2k yds on 300 plus touches? If that was so easy for a guy to put up on a bad team, well then SJAX wouldn't be going for peanuts right now in dynasty leagues...he was only able to put up one season like that and to me there is no comparison in talent when comparing a beast like SJAX to CJ.At some point, likely the mid to late 2nd, he becomes worth the risk because the guys around him carry similar risk, but his ADP as RB10 is WAY too high right now and it forces you to take him as a RB1 and I'm not willing to make him an anchor on my team at that price when there are safer guys there with just as much upside...I guess it just depends on how much risk you can handle.I could see if everything goes right that Charles could get his 1,200 yds and up to 400 or so receiving, but I think many are discounting TJ in the redzone. CJ just isn't going to hold up to the pounding of a full season and if he does, he isn't going to get all of those goalline chances, IMO.I think a smarter play would be to get your stud WR and take a guy like McCoy later and get similar production at RB.Just my $.02
I'm pretty high on Charles, but I always enjoy an unbiased post, which your was. Thanks. :thumbup:

T with T said:
B. Nugget said:
T with T said:
I said 2008 because he is gonna split carries. no, not 50/50, but how many another RBs have 1400 or 1500 rushing yards and only 250 carries or less. Very rare. I also said he will have a ray rice 2009 season minus about 400 yards receiving. he should have roughly 200 fantasy points this year.

The easy schedule is hard to ignore. I think Thomas Jones has about the same impact on this situation that willis mcgahee has on rice. He'll strictly complement Charles with less td's than mcgahee. The Ravens couldn't keep rice off the field despite the fact that mcgahee was pretty damn good. It'll be the same situation with KC. If you like to play it conservatively then Charles isn't your guy. If you're a risk taker this guy has the potential to win your league for you. based on his adp an upside of 1600 yds and 12 tds is hard to ignore. he's an rb1 for sure in a 12 team league. i don't see how anyone has 12 guys ahead of him.

The easy schedule is hard to ignore. I think Thomas Jones has about the same impact on this situation that willis mcgahee has on rice. He'll strictly complement Charles with less td's than mcgahee. The Ravens couldn't keep rice off the field despite the fact that mcgahee was pretty damn good. It'll be the same situation with KC. If you like to play it conservatively then Charles isn't your guy. If you're a risk taker this guy has the potential to win your league for you. based on his adp an upside of 1600 yds and 12 tds is hard to ignore. he's an rb1 for sure in a 12 team league. i don't see how anyone has 12 guys ahead of him.
So, when would you draft him? 1.06? 1.12?

I feel like I've read on several different occasions throughout all of this that Charles size is a concern, specifically related to Chris Johnson. While I'm not trying to compare the two with regards to my predictions this coming season, let's just look at the cold hard facts.

Chris Johnson

HT: 5-11, WT: 197

Jamaal Charles

HT: 5-11, WT: 200

Chris Johnson is on a much better team with regards to overall talent at most positions, so I would guess his numbers will be better, but I do see that Charles has serious potential to put up solid fantasy numbers on a relatively subpar NFL team.

T with T said:
B. Nugget said:
T with T said:
You just made my point, he is a incredible RB2 because of the upside when paired with a stud...and you got him in the late 2nd round, right? The CJ 2008 comment was because White was stealing touches and CJ didn't have the statline of a true workhorse RB until 2009...then he blew up.
no that was my 1.12 first round pick... I made a blockbuster trade 3 for 3 to move up to 1.4 also so I had two first round picks.... the owner I traded with ended up drafting Matthews,rivers,colston and I got Rice,MSW,Cutler..... I think I like the Rice side by a bit there bc I have high hopes for Cutler and MSW.... I see what you mean on the CJ thing... good point but dont think tjones will steal that many to be honest I think he is bout done... he looked it at end of 09 thats why greene took over

lkin :confused: lol yea what the hell are you talkin about good straight line but nowhere near elusive or as good vision.. WRONG.. open your eyes when watchin the game it will help :excited:
Thanks Coach I'll be sure to follow your EXPERT advice, where would we be without such succinct knowledge? You must be right he's a HOF'er WTF was I looking at?? He's definitely leaps above CJ's elusiveness and visionHow did I win the few k I took home last year without YOU :loco:
I never said he was better then CJ smartguy. You were saying he doesn't compare and im tellin you they are about even hard to say who is better in that dept but he is def better then you give him credit for. their is always gonna be crap talkin punks and doubters and haters thats just how it goes but for you to come at me is pretty funny.. I might know more then you think pal

lkin ;) lol yea what the hell are you talkin about good straight line but nowhere near elusive or as good vision.. WRONG.. open your eyes when watchin the game it will help :excited:
I never said he was better then CJ smartguy. You were saying he doesn't compare and im tellin you they are about even hard to say who is better in that dept but he is def better then you give him credit for. their is always gonna be crap talkin punks and doubters and haters thats just how it goes but for you to come at me is pretty funny.. I might know more then you think pal
Come on guys.

I love JC's schedule and talent. I don't love that he did what he did last season getting 85% of the Chiefs' rushes down the stretch. 85%!!!! They added TJ, and it's hard to say he won't take 8-10 carries/game away from JC. I see him with 16 carries per game, 4 receptions per game. 16 carries x 5.0 ypc = 80 ypg = 1280 rushing yards, add in 64 catches for 500 yards, and 6 total TDs, and you have a nice RB2. I'm not sure that I see the mega-RB1 upside though because the Chiefs are not going to give him 85% of the 2010 carries, and TJ will vulture short yardage/goal line work. Also, this isn't the Ravens or Jets or Panthers, it's not like the team will run the ball 500+ times in 2010.

:lmao: U watch footy way different to me then. I find it better if u open ur eyes when judging talent :)
lkin :rant: lol yea what the hell are you talkin about good straight line but nowhere near elusive or as good vision.. WRONG.. open your eyes when watchin the game it will help :excited:
Seems every time you post you know a whole lot less "buddy"

how is that???? seems to me more peeps think im right on charles.... were u the dork comparin him to norwood or is that your brother?

I think it's great that the only times people say "buddy" are when they're talking to a kid, a dog or someone they think is an idiot.

I love JC's schedule and talent. I don't love that he did what he did last season getting 85% of the Chiefs' rushes down the stretch. 85%!!!! They added TJ, and it's hard to say he won't take 8-10 carries/game away from JC. I see him with 16 carries per game, 4 receptions per game. 16 carries x 5.0 ypc = 80 ypg = 1280 rushing yards, add in 64 catches for 500 yards, and 6 total TDs, and you have a nice RB2. I'm not sure that I see the mega-RB1 upside though because the Chiefs are not going to give him 85% of the 2010 carries, and TJ will vulture short yardage/goal line work. Also, this isn't the Ravens or Jets or Panthers, it's not like the team will run the ball 500+ times in 2010.
:)

:confused:
based on your stats thats RB1 material.... 1780 yards from scrimmage 64 catches and 6 tds... thats about 270-275 points ppr.... the only rbs higher then that last year were Cj,MJD,AP,RICE...... so i guess the rb5 of the leauge is a rb2 when your playing in a 4 team league :unsure: I like your rushing proj your catches and yards but I think the tds are way low... he had 8 last year in half a season.. even with Jones he can have 6 tds over 20 or 30 yards... I still think he gets 8-10 total tds so he hits 300 points ppr and is a RB1

T with T said:
cowpie said:
bigmiiiiike said:
:goodposting:
based on your stats thats RB1 material.... 1780 yards from scrimmage 64 catches and 6 tds... thats about 270-275 points ppr.... the only rbs higher then that last year were Cj,MJD,AP,RICE...... so i guess the rb5 of the leauge is a rb2 when your playing in a 4 team league :popcorn: I like your rushing proj your catches and yards but I think the tds are way low... he had 8 last year in half a season.. even with Jones he can have 6 tds over 20 or 30 yards... I still think he gets 8-10 total tds so he hits 300 points ppr and is a RB1
Do you see what I mean yet? People are throwing out huge projections for him like it is a sure thing and then mentioning RB2 status.He is either going to be a superstar top 5-8 RB this year or he is going to dissappoint because his ADP will slowly creep up as we get closer to the season and he will be drafted at the tail end of the 1st/early 2nd before long in PPR leagues...that means he has to put up those kinds of numbers or he didn't live up to his draft spot.

T with T said:
cowpie said:
bigmiiiiike said:
:goodposting:
based on your stats thats RB1 material.... 1780 yards from scrimmage 64 catches and 6 tds... thats about 270-275 points ppr.... the only rbs higher then that last year were Cj,MJD,AP,RICE...... so i guess the rb5 of the leauge is a rb2 when your playing in a 4 team league :thumbup: I like your rushing proj your catches and yards but I think the tds are way low... he had 8 last year in half a season.. even with Jones he can have 6 tds over 20 or 30 yards... I still think he gets 8-10 total tds so he hits 300 points ppr and is a RB1
Do you see what I mean yet? People are throwing out huge projections for him like it is a sure thing and then mentioning RB2 status.He is either going to be a superstar top 5-8 RB this year or he is going to dissappoint because his ADP will slowly creep up as we get closer to the season and he will be drafted at the tail end of the 1st/early 2nd before long in PPR leagues...that means he has to put up those kinds of numbers or he didn't live up to his draft spot.
I guess that I should clarify that by "nice RB2", I'm thinking in terms of my non-PPR league. 1700 total yards and 6 TDs is a nice RB2 in nonPPR, and I'd be happy if Charles got that for me and I took him in the late 2nd/early 3rd, but I also don't think that's unreachable from a guy like McCoy who is going 3 rounds later. The problem is, when you draft a guy as an RB2, you'd like him to have RB1 upside. All I was getting at is that in non-PPR I don't see him with double digit TDs. Nor do I see him with more yards than I projected him for, thus my projections represent a ceiling. Someone like Ryan Grant, Benson or Beanie could put up similar total yards and 12+ TDs for an upside.

T with T said:
cowpie said:
bigmiiiiike said:
:cry:
based on your stats thats RB1 material.... 1780 yards from scrimmage 64 catches and 6 tds... thats about 270-275 points ppr.... the only rbs higher then that last year were Cj,MJD,AP,RICE...... so i guess the rb5 of the leauge is a rb2 when your playing in a 4 team league :cry: I like your rushing proj your catches and yards but I think the tds are way low... he had 8 last year in half a season.. even with Jones he can have 6 tds over 20 or 30 yards... I still think he gets 8-10 total tds so he hits 300 points ppr and is a RB1
I guess that I should clarify that by "nice RB2", I'm thinking in terms of my non-PPR league. 1700 total yards and 6 TDs is a nice RB2 in nonPPR, and I'd be happy if Charles got that for me and I took him in the late 2nd/early 3rd, but I also don't think that's unreachable from a guy like McCoy who is going 3 rounds later. The problem is, when you draft a guy as an RB2, you'd like him to have RB1 upside. All I was getting at is that in non-PPR I don't see him with double digit TDs. Nor do I see him with more yards than I projected him for, thus my projections represent a ceiling. Someone like Ryan Grant, Benson or Beanie could put up similar total yards and 12+ TDs for an upside.
doubt it. How can u say that Beenie could have them numbers and more tds when he had less then 1000 yards and had only 7 tds. Grant had 1200 yards but only had 4 tds last year, and Benson had his first good year it wasn't even spectacular... i dont play in Non ppr so it doesn't matter. All I know that is in PPR Charles is RB1

Dont know whats not to like. In my league week 10 on when he started getting double digit carries he was the 2nd best running back 35 pts ahead of ADP. Do i think he will be the 2nd best RB NO but I like him as much as other RB's 6-12...

Thomas Jones opened Chiefs training camp as the team's starting tailback, ahead of Jamaal Charles.

Charles sat out much of the offseason due to a shoulder scope, but was on the practice field Friday. We'd try to not read into this. Charles was voted the Chiefs' team MVP last season and is clearly the superior option in nearly every aspect. The coaching staff may just be "easing Charles in" after so many missed spring reps. He's certain to lead the backfield in touches. Jul. 30 - 7:56 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...L&hl=176432

Thomas Jones opened Chiefs training camp as the team's starting tailback, ahead of Jamaal Charles.

Charles sat out much of the offseason due to a shoulder scope, but was on the practice field Friday. We'd try to not read into this. Charles was voted the Chiefs' team MVP last season and is clearly the superior option in nearly every aspect. The coaching staff may just be "easing Charles in" after so many missed spring reps. He's certain to lead the backfield in touches. Jul. 30 - 7:56 pm et

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...&p=12040378

gethugefast1 said:

Yes, please. I want more headlines like these out of KC training camp to lower Jamaal's ADP further.

Word is that Jones has looked really good in camp so far. Is this a major concern for Charles?

The Kansas City Star suggests that Jamaal Charles' placement with the second-team offense at Chiefs camp is coach Todd Haley "using psychology to motivate" Charles.

At the same time, the Star notes that current starter Thomas Jones "looked as strong and quick as ever" in 11-on-11 drills, and says Jones "might really be ahead of Charles at this stage." If Jones is ahead of Charles, it shouldn't last long. Charles will be running circles around the veteran all camp.

I just watched a highlight video on youtube, and this guy's running style IS a lot like Norwood's. Out of a 4 minute video, I can't remember him breaking a legitimate tackle. Great runs in open space, but little challenge in actually getting to open space. Yes, the good news is that he faces a lot of the same teams that he scorched again, but it's buyer beware if you ask me. I have trouble imagining him being as wide open again, and the added weapons they've brought in will likely limit his carries.

I'll pass at his ADP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQwYI_WSMFU
Great analysis. For the exact same reason I'm trading Chris Johnson for Mike Tolbert (he's much better at breaking tackles). Guys who are so good that they barely get touched are overrated!

Thought I was reading that Thomas Jones is running with the 1st and Charles with the 2nd. I'm sure camp will shake this out and I would not bank on either of them getting 300 touches but Jones certainly is going to see action here. As usual the reports are that he looks as quick and strong as ever. Might be nice value at a point.

I like KC with the coaching additions too and think they have a legitimate shot to creep up on San Diego

Here's why Charles will disappoint where he is being drafted (2nd round)

Last year Charles had little to no competition for touches. This year he has that Jones guy who was second in the league with 1,400 yards and 14 rushing TD's, you think the coaches don't plan on using Jones a lot, TJ has more left in the tank then people think. Dexter MCluster is to good to not steal some carries from Charles. RBBC is becoming the norm in the NFL, and K.C. is no exception.

Next, last year during Charles great run, Bowe missed time due to his suspension, Charles got increased touches, i.e. they ran the ball more with Bowe out imo. We find out if this is correct with Bowe, who people are claiming he is in great shape, and will a steal in FF drafts.

Don't get me wrong, Charles is a good back, but people are drafting him as if he is the "featured" back for K.C. Were not talking CJ touches here people. He will share more then people think.

Great value as your #3 back or flex, but as your #2 he will disappoint.

Here's why Charles will disappoint where he is being drafted (2nd round)Last year Charles had little to no competition for touches. This year he has that Jones guy who was second in the league with 1,400 yards and 14 rushing TD's, you think the coaches don't plan on using Jones a lot, TJ has more left in the tank then people think. Dexter MCluster is to good to not steal some carries from Charles. RBBC is becoming the norm in the NFL, and K.C. is no exception.Next, last year during Charles great run, Bowe missed time due to his suspension, Charles got increased touches, i.e. they ran the ball more with Bowe out imo. We find out if this is correct with Bowe, who people are claiming he is in great shape, and will a steal in FF drafts.Don't get me wrong, Charles is a good back, but people are drafting him as if he is the "featured" back for K.C. Were not talking CJ touches here people. He will share more then people think. Great value as your #3 back or flex, but as your #2 he will disappoint.
You brought up some good points. However, I do want to point out that McCluster is projected to play WR in the NFL, not RB. Much like Percy Harvin last year.

Last year Charles had little to no competition for touches. This year he has that Jones guy who was second in the league with 1,400 yards and 14 rushing TD's, you think the coaches don't plan on using Jones a lot, TJ has more left in the tank then people think. Dexter McCluster is to good to not steal some carries from Charles. RBBC is becoming the norm in the NFL, and K.C. is no exception.
Jones was brought in for several reasons:1- The other RBs on the roster aside from Charles are not proven/under league average

2- Not that many backs are going to get 400+ touches, the team needs an alternate

3- Relatively cheap for a plan B

4- Last year was a 1400 yd rusher on a run-oriented team, he will not be the same this season.

McCluster will get a carry here and there, but not that much to take food off of Charles's plate.

Next, last year during Charles great run, Bowe missed time due to his suspension, Charles got increased touches, i.e. they ran the ball more with Bowe out imo. We find out if this is correct with Bowe, who people are claiming he is in great shape, and will a steal in FF drafts.
Using that reason, having not an effective Bowe helps open up lanes for the running game, right? It should also be obvious that Charles is a playmaker and the Chiefs will get the ball in his hands one way or the other. BTW, the value for a Chiefs WR is McCluster, not Bowe. The Bowe Show is on it's last season in KC if he does not get his act together.
Don't get me wrong, Charles is a good back, but people are drafting him as if he is the "featured" back for K.C. Were not talking CJ touches here people. He will share more then people think.

Johnson had 408 touches last season and I'd reduce his usage this year too. Charles at 220 carries and 50-ish receptions is more in line and he'll get his. They have an easy schedule, Charles will be the back in when the Chiefs are in catch up mode and his game has upside. He's a #2 back with the ability and opportunity to move into the top 10 RB rankings. 220 carries 1050 yds

51 recept 410 yds

10 TDs

Last year Charles had little to no competition for touches. This year he has that Jones guy who was second in the league with 1,400 yards and 14 rushing TD's, you think the coaches don't plan on using Jones a lot, TJ has more left in the tank then people think. Dexter MCluster is to good to not steal some carries from Charles. RBBC is becoming the norm in the NFL, and K.C. is no exception.

OK, for arguments sake, since u think he is best served as a RB3 (assuming 12 team ppr) who are the 24 backs YOU have ranked ahead of him.....?

The number of touches Charles will probably be a mystery at least through the early part of the season, but all Charles owners (of which I am one) should be making sure that they get Jones as a handcuff.

RBs Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones are competing for the starting job at running back. Make no mistake both of these guys are going to get their hands on the ball. But despite Charles great second half of the 2009 season, he has begun training camp behind Jones on the depth chart. Jones and Charles will definitely be running back by committee, but the starter will always have the edge.

(Yahoo! Sports)

OK, this certainly puts a wrench in things. So now we are looking at a possible 'RBBC' and 'competition' for the starting job? I was thinking all along that Jones was mainly insurance and will spell Charles, but even that is starting to look dicey with recent news. Jones certainly has 9 lives and simply won't go away.

RBs Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones are competing for the starting job at running back. Make no mistake both of these guys are going to get their hands on the ball. But despite Charles great second half of the 2009 season, he has begun training camp behind Jones on the depth chart. Jones and Charles will definitely be running back by committee, but the starter will always have the edge.

(Yahoo! Sports)

OK, this certainly puts a wrench in things. So now we are looking at a possible 'RBBC' and 'competition' for the starting job? I was thinking all along that Jones was mainly insurance and will spell Charles, but even that is starting to look dicey with recent news. Jones certainly has 9 lives and simply won't go away.
I'm sure it is just a ploy to motivate JC! There is no doubt that Charles is the #1 guy, it just remains to be seen how big of a role TJ will play and if he will vulture TDs.

The problem with his current ADP is that you have to draft him like TJ is a non-factor and some, myself included, believe that he will factor in fairly significantly when it is all said and done.

hotlanta said:

(Yahoo! Sports)

They're just easing Charles back in. The Titans are doing the same thing with Chris Johnson (he's spitting reps with Ringer right now). There's really no news in this article... oh, except that the starter will always have the edge. THAT was a real eye-opener for me. <sarcasm off>

Users who are viewing this thread