What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerruh refuses the notion of giving up as the Cowboys GM Title (1 Viewer)

People in Dallas basically generally view him as joke, a snake oil salesman or just don't like him. I think he's vastly under appreciated.

Since he bought the team and named himself GM no team has won more Super Bowls and arguably no franchise value has increased as much. Basically if you own a team what would be your two major goals.

Along the way he built one of the most incredible stadiums in the world which provides residents of the Dallas area a chance to catch just about every major concert and sporting event at one time or another in their own backyard.
Ex-Cowboy fan here. You can give Jerry Jones all of the credit in the world, but it's a near fact that the Cowboys would have won an unprecedented 4 consecutive Super Bowls back in the early 90s had Jerry not taken a dump on the franchise. Feel free to deny this.

Fast-forward to today - Every time the cameras cut to Jerry sitting in the owner's box, the body language of the people surrounding makes it painfully clear that he surrounds himself with B-teamers only.
How would they have beaten the 49ers with Deion?
Maybe because Jimmy isn't Bozo da Coach.

Does anyone have that quote from this past offseason (or perhaps the offseason before) where Jerry basically said that if the Cowboys finally win a superbowl, he will deserve 100% of the credit? That was an amazing quote that showed a really revealing lack of self-awareness. In Jerry's mind, he gets 100% of the credit for their successes and 0% of the credit for their failures. If that's the case, why on earth would he ever fire himself, when his tenure has been nothing but success after success?
My favorite Jerry delusion is when he said "any one of 500 coaches could have won those super bowls" , directly after the Cowboys won back-to-back SB's. Nice work jerry, you dip####!

Nowadays, you'd think he'd have perspective on how hard it is to have consistent success in the NFL. Instead, he continues on his bull-headed path of mediocrity. Ugggg!

He may not admit it, but I bet Jimmy Johnson really takes pleasure in watching jerry faulter.

Oh, and since I'm here, and ranting, i'm not a fan of the death star. The stadium should not be the main attraction.

I don't understand what is so terrible. The Cowboys are in the playoff hunt every single year. They've made good draft picks with Dez and Sean Lee. They are not the Oakland Raiders. He is not Al Davis. Are there similarities? Of course, but I don't think things are so terrible.
Al Davis' team was in the Super Bowl more recently than Jerry Jones' team.

Dallas has won 1 playoff game since 1996.

Not saying they are the same, but yeah

People in Dallas basically generally view him as joke, a snake oil salesman or just don't like him. I think he's vastly under appreciated.

Since he bought the team and named himself GM no team has won more Super Bowls and arguably no franchise value has increased as much. Basically if you own a team what would be your two major goals.

Along the way he built one of the most incredible stadiums in the world which provides residents of the Dallas area a chance to catch just about every major concert and sporting event at one time or another in their own backyard.
Ex-Cowboy fan here. You can give Jerry Jones all of the credit in the world, but it's a near fact that the Cowboys would have won an unprecedented 4 consecutive Super Bowls back in the early 90s had Jerry not taken a dump on the franchise. Feel free to deny this.

Fast-forward to today - Every time the cameras cut to Jerry sitting in the owner's box, the body language of the people surrounding makes it painfully clear that he surrounds himself with B-teamers only.
Is that what it came down to? I don't remember the run for that team, but, it seemed that 49ers team was pretty tough to beat. Steve Young was unstoppable and their defense was pretty beastly. Deion and the chicken head guy (he was awesome), right? I'm sure you recall that season better than me, since I paid more exclusive attention to the AFC back then.

Is that what it came down to? I don't remember the run for that team, but, it seemed that 49ers team was pretty tough to beat. Steve Young was unstoppable and their defense was pretty beastly. Deion and the chicken head guy (he was awesome), right? I'm sure you recall that season better than me, since I paid more exclusive attention to the AFC back then.

Merton Hanks....doing his Big Bird imitation was some classic stuff back then. I believe he's with the NFL's front office in some capacity these days.

I don't think he's been a bad GM as far as player acquisitions go. As far as acquiring coaches, it's another story entirely.
The roster is pretty average. In terms of talent acquisition, I'd say Dallas has been relatively middle of the road.

In terms of managing the salary cap, however, Jerry Jones has been an absolute sideshow. He gets buddy-buddy with the players and then gives them MONSTER extensions with huge guaranteed money values years before their old contract expires, despite the fact that the player has no leverage and he's basically bidding against himself. Miles Austin and Jay Ratliff are cap killers on their own, but add them together, throw in all the other crappy contracts he's signed players to, and Dallas' salary cap is like a tiny car with its breaks cut, filled to the brim with clowns and hurtling headlong towards a cliff.

Seriously, Oakland thinks Dallas is doing a bad job of managing its salary cap.
Excellent Post.

With Players under contract for next year, Dallas is already about $9 million over the projected cap ($136 million in contracts and dead money; $127 million projected cap). Of their big money contract players, there is only one they can cut which could save them significant cap money, Demarcus Ware, who would save them $7.5 million if cut. They are in cap hell and really have no where to go next year to add significant new talent. They are probably going to have to re-do more veteran deals to just get under the cap. This will defer more salary which will continue their cap problems into the future.

No one was beating the 49ers in the 1994 playoffs. Not the Cowboys with Jimmy Johnson. No one.
Well, if you talk the '94 Cowboys they'll tell you that if Erik Willliams didnt get in that car wreck, they'd have won four in a row. We'll never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is not as bad as Al, however he sure makes things difficult.

The entire organiztion is disfunctional, from drafting to coaching right down to the stadium. He does want to win, I believe that, but ultimately It's all about the $$$ for Jerry.

It's tough being a fan of this team right now. Probably even worse then even the Campo years.
Hell, I'd take a Quincy Carter-lead squad over this one right now. At least that team overachieved.

Just curious as to which team you now follow?

Merton Hanks....doing his Big Bird imitation was some classic stuff back then. I believe he's with the NFL's front office in some capacity these days.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZHZZdSaSPc

Users who are viewing this thread