What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jordan Reed - TE - SF (2 Viewers)

Rotoworld:

CSN Washington's Tarik El-Bashir cites Jordan Reed as a candidate for a breakout season in 2015.

El-Bashir threw out 60 catches, 800 yards and six touchdowns as realistic projections for Reed if he can stay healthy. Those are Pro Bowl-type numbers. Reed functioned mostly as a check-down man in 2014, logging 50 catches for 465 yards. His size (6'2" and 237 pounds) suggests he could be a red zone presence, but we've yet to see that from Reed in his first two seasons (only three touchdowns in 20 games).

Source: CSN Washington

Feb 22 - 10:03 AM
Jordan Reed has said he intends to stop hurdling defenders in an effort to avoid injuries.

Injuries have been the story of Reed's career dating back to his time at the University of Florida. He's missed 12 games across his first two NFL seasons due to repeated concussions and multiple severe hamstring pulls. Staying on the ground while trying to avoid defenders and changing his offseason routine should help a little bit with the soft-tissue woes, but Reed will remain a major injury risk. It's a shame, because his athletic skill set is tantalizing.

Source: CSN Washington

Feb 22 - 8:37 AM

injured? but...it's May. Freaking MAY!

Top ten TE potential EASILY and the guy can't seem to walk around on the skeleton he got through all his life on.

The freaking Fred Taylor of TEs.

Top ten TE potential EASILY and the guy can't seem to walk around on the skeleton he got through all his life on.

Jordan Reed wishes he was as durable as Fred Taylor. Taylor started 15+ games four years and 13 or 14 games 3 more years.

Reed has only played in 20 games (6 starts) over 2 years, catching 95 career balls.

Sorry guys, I googled Jordan Reed yesterday and that apparently injured his knee.

Everyone stop thinking about this guy before he dies

(HULK) said:
Sorry guys, I googled Jordan Reed yesterday and that apparently injured his knee.

Everyone stop thinking about this guy before he dies
Did you google him with a lead pipe?

Last edited by a moderator:
everybody just shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh about Niles Paul
Is this guy really worth sshhhhing over? He is 6'1 for goodness sake. Everyone knows you have to be 6'3 or taller to be effective. What good is a Sammy Watkins sized TE quarterbacked by RGIII? Am I missing something or is this a deep sleeper? Traded Reed, Hakeem Nicks, and Poz for the 1.05 last season. Then wasted the pick on Ebron one pick before ODB. Glad to see he is still a bum.

I like Reeds talent, not his health. Paul? His talent is nothing special.

The hype train is funny. Why is it the backup to anyone is always hyped like they are the next big star when they get a break because of injury?

As someone said, he is 6'1" and 240. So he is a short fat TE. He isnt any special talent and he plays for the skins?

Am I missing something?

Is this guy really worth sshhhhing over? He is 6'1 for goodness sake. Everyone knows you have to be 6'3 or taller to be effective. What good is a Sammy Watkins sized TE quarterbacked by RGIII? Am I missing something or is this a deep sleeper? Traded Reed, Hakeem Nicks, and Poz for the 1.05 last season. Then wasted the pick on Ebron one pick before ODB. Glad to see he is still a bum.
Don't tell this to the Jordan Reed owners. He's only 6'2". But you are right. Neither Paul or Reed were effective as TE last year. Paul was only top 7 in scoring the 4 weeks of the season he started. Gross. Reed only puts up top 10 TE numbers when healthy. Ew. And Delanie Walker at 6'0"? Forget about it.

The hype train is funny. Why is it the backup to anyone is always hyped like they are the next big star when they get a break because of injury?

As someone said, he is 6'1" and 240. So he is a short fat TE. He isnt any special talent and he plays for the skins?

Am I missing something?
Paul is also talented. Converted WR with good speed and ball skills. If you didn't get a chance to watch him in the first 4 games last year, then I can understand your skepticism. He can easily step into the starting TE role and put up top 10 TE numbers. Reed is only an inch taller yet 4lbs lighter, so technically Paul is better built for the position

While not busy killing people, Aaron Hernandez compiled some good stats at tight end with similar body measurements.

While not busy killing people, Aaron Hernandez compiled some good stats at tight end with similar body measurements.
I recall coming out of college, many people compared the game style of Reed to Hernandez. I think that is what keeps people optimistic because IF he is healthy and IF the team were to use him in that role, he would have an incredible amount of value.

Am I missing something?
In 2013, through 9 games:

45rec, 499yds, 3 TDs

For a full season that would be: 80rec, 887yds, 5 TDs

In 2014, through 11 games:

50rec, 465yds, 0 TDs

When healthy, he's been able to produce at a pretty high level. That's why there's so much hype around him. He just can't stay healthy.

Don't tell this to the Jordan Reed owners. He's only 6'2". But you are right. Neither Paul or Reed were effective as TE last year. Paul was only top 7 in scoring the 4 weeks of the season he started. Gross. Reed only puts up top 10 TE numbers when healthy. Ew. And Delanie Walker at 6'0"? Forget about it.

Am I missing something?
Paul is also talented. Converted WR with good speed and ball skills. If you didn't get a chance to watch him in the first 4 games last year, then I can understand your skepticism. He can easily step into the starting TE role and put up top 10 TE numbers. Reed is only an inch taller yet 4lbs lighter, so technically Paul is better built for the position
A minor string of good games does not translate to a full season of top 10 production. Sorry. Until one of these guys puts up a 16 game, top 10 season, they are not worth the cart they rolled in on. No need to keep quiet about this guy. Newsflash, you can probably get him for free. Until one of them produces at a consistent level, they are no better than the scrubs you'll find on the waiver wire.

Jordan Reed wishes he was as durable as Fred Taylor. Taylor started 15+ games four years and 13 or 14 games 3 more years.

Reed has only played in 20 games (6 starts) over 2 years, catching 95 career balls.
Taylor was a great player. But he mostly earned the Fragile Fred moniker in his first four seasons.In years 2-4, he missed 6, 3 and 14 games, a total of 23, nearly a half season per year AVERAGE in that span.

Later he went on to become more resilient and durable, maybe Reed can, too?

Taylor was a great player. But he mostly earned the Fragile Fred moniker in his first four seasons.In years 2-4, he missed 6, 3 and 14 games, a total of 23, nearly a half season per year AVERAGE in that span.

yeah, he was actually pretty good down the stretch. Just, like you said, missed a lot of time early hen hopes were the highest (like Reed now). I hope he can. Most of his problems have been hamstring-related and I remember Andre Bruce and Dante Stallworth having those kind of issues. So here's to wishing the best.

Am I missing something?
A minor string of good games does not translate to a full season of top 10 production. Sorry. Until one of these guys puts up a 16 game, top 10 season, they are not worth the cart they rolled in on. No need to keep quiet about this guy. Newsflash, you can probably get him for free. Until one of them produces at a consistent level, they are no better than the scrubs you'll find on the waiver wire.
So much of ff is predicting the trend and not reacting to it (in dynasty, anyways) that's hard to say and buy. Everyone wants to be the guy that knows Reed won't ever shake this and leave the headache to someone else OR wants to be the guy that knows this was just a bad bugaboo stretch and get him cheap now. So you are going to have polarized opinions.

Traded him for Jordan Cameron last year. I must say I am feeling pretty good about it,even though Cameron comes with his own crappy issues

Shutout said:
Bob Magaw said:

yeah, he was actually pretty good down the stretch. Just, like you said, missed a lot of time early hen hopes were the highest (like Reed now). I hope he can. Most of his problems have been hamstring-related and I remember Andre Bruce and Dante Stallworth having those kind of issues. So here's to wishing the best.
Good point about Bruce. Fixing it reportedly as simple as changing his stretching regimen. Stallworth was just a super tightly wound dude. Miles Austin supposedly changed his stretching regimen (not sure if he consulted with Bruce?), and was able to play more last year - now in PHI.

Taylor was recently cited as a comp for Todd Gurley by a personnel exec in a Daniel Jeremiah article at NFL.com, which he concurred with. I was prompted to check out his stats relative to Eric Dickerson. If you factor in that Taylor basically missed two full seasons worth of games, his career rushing yardage and TD numbers would have been a lot closer to Dickerson than many realize. Dickerson is easily one of the greatest RBs I've ever seen (not in person - with Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, O.J. Simpson, Earl Campbell, Bo Jackson, Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson), and received a turbocharge in his career numbers with the greatest rookie and vet rushing seasons ever back-to-back, in his first two years.

So I needed to be reminded of how productive Taylor was when healthy. If Gurley can avoid the fragile tag but be as productive as Taylor was at his best, as a Rams fan, I'll be very happy.

* Don't get me wrong, though, I wouldn't bank on Reed, and find a continued injury prone tag likely hard to shed for him until proven otherwise. For every Taylor and Bruce, there are probably a lot more that sustain the earlier pattern. He is potentially a good plan B for the risk tolerant, but hopefully others have better options. There is a point where value is so depressed it makes holding a better option, but I would trade Reed for Cameron in a heartbeat.

He was just outright dropped in my 12 team dynasty Superflex. I was a bit :confused: The talent is there plain as day. That's half the battle at least. IF, and it's a reasonably large if, he can return to full health I thinks he's another Hernandez.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed (knee) is expected to be ready for the start of training camp.

Reed missed OTAs recovering from a minor knee procedure, but was reportedly healthy enough that he could have taken part in some of the offseason work. Niles Paul worked with the first team and should remain in a committee with Reed. The Redskins want to feature Reed, but can’t count on him staying healthy. Injuries have limited Reed to 20 games the last two seasons.

Source: Washington Post
Jul 11 - 3:14 PM

Rotoworld:

Reed missed OTAs recovering from a minor knee procedure, but was reportedly healthy enough that he could have taken part in some of the offseason work. Niles Paul worked with the first team and should remain in a committee with Reed. The Redskins want to feature Reed, but can’t count on him staying healthy. Injuries have limited Reed to 20 games the last two seasons.

Geez. So the redskins are convinced enough of Reed's talent that they want to feature him. But they're going to keep him off the field and give Paul reps even when Reed is healthy because they can't trust Reed to stay healthy?

I don't buy that.

The guy is as fragile as they come. But there's no magic snap-count where he stays healthy. If he's more talented than Paul and he's healthy, he's going to play in front of Paul until he gets hurt. If it's a committee, it's because Reed is nursing an injury and isn't hurt enough to sit but isn't healthy enough to put Paul back on the bench.

I'm going to have to see the Redskins put a 100% healthy Reed on the bench before I believe they are intentionally running a committee on these two.

Say I'm a believer that past injuries are no predictors of future injuries (I think the numbers support this). If Reed had no injury flags, where would you rank him in dynasty? Top 10? Top 20?

Rotoworld:

Geez. So the redskins are convinced enough of Reed's talent that they want to feature him. But they're going to keep him off the field and give Paul reps even when Reed is healthy because they can't trust Reed to stay healthy?

I don't buy that.

The guy is as fragile as they come. But there's no magic snap-count where he stays healthy. If he's more talented than Paul and he's healthy, he's going to play in front of Paul until he gets hurt. If it's a committee, it's because Reed is nursing an injury and isn't hurt enough to sit but isn't healthy enough to put Paul back on the bench.

I'm going to have to see the Redskins put a 100% healthy Reed on the bench before I believe they are intentionally running a committee on these two.
It's not a committee just Rotoworld being way off base. I think their earlier reports suggested Paul was the frontrunner for the job. Now they are spinning out of that silly comment a bit and lowering it to it being a committee. At least they are getting closer to the truth. Reed is the full time starter and Paul is really nice backup.

Agree, it's just not the way coaches think. I expect him to be out there full-time if - and for however long - he's healthy.

Say I'm a believer that past injuries are no predictors of future injuries (I think the numbers support this). If Reed had no injury flags, where would you rank him in dynasty? Top 10? Top 20?
If healthy I'd put him in top 10 and easily and say he's a legit contender for top 5. I'd also add I play in mainly 1.5 PPR TE leagues so I'm looking at him in relation to those leagues where I'd say he has more value relative to other TE's as he's shown to be more high volume receiver than TD maker.

Another way of looking at it. Injuries have limited him in some games and knocked him out early of some games so I think he's better than this but if you just ignore all of that and simply take him on a per game basis in 1.5 PPR leagues he averaged 12.8 points a game and that's with only scoring a TD in close once every 7 games.

That would be good enough to rank him as TE#8 last year in 1.5 PPR leagues.

Also I saw Rotoworld or someone bash him for his low YPC last year as a sign of injuries sapping him. Reality is he ranked third in the NFL among qualifying TE's last year in yards per pass route run, trailing only Gronk and Kelce.

shark move to buy TE Jordan Reed

last year, the oft injured D/Murray was my #1 target - it worked well as did the hamstring injured OBJ early last season

buying potential has excellent payoff's sometimes - Reed is one of those risks that I see as grand reward right now

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed - TE - Redskins

Jordan Reed said the procedure he underwent on his knee in May was a stem cell shot.

It was assumed that Reed did a scope on his knee after experiencing soreness during OTAs. The fact that he went the stem cell route is encouraging and lends some hope that he can sustain health. When Reed is on the field and feeling good, he's a matchup nightmare for defenses. It's worth tracking his battle with Niles Paul at camp.

Related: Niles Paul

Source: Mike Jones on Twitter

Jul 30 - 12:18 PM

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed said the procedure he underwent on his knee in May was a stem cell shot.

It was assumed that Reed did a scope on his knee after experiencing soreness during OTAs. The fact that he went the stem cell route is encouraging and lends some hope that he can sustain health. When Reed is on the field and feeling good, he's a matchup nightmare for defenses. It's worth tracking his battle with Niles Paul at camp.

They just won't quit. This is not a battle.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed said the procedure he underwent on his knee in May was a stem cell shot.It was assumed that Reed did a scope on his knee after experiencing soreness during OTAs. The fact that he went the stem cell route is encouraging and lends some hope that he can sustain health. When Reed is on the field and feeling good, he's a matchup nightmare for defenses. It's worth tracking his battle with Niles Paul at camp.

Rotoworld:

Jordan Reed said the procedure he underwent on his knee in May was a stem cell shot.It was assumed that Reed did a scope on his knee after experiencing soreness during OTAs. The fact that he went the stem cell route is encouraging and lends some hope that he can sustain health. When Reed is on the field and feeling good, he's a matchup nightmare for defenses. It's worth tracking his battle with Niles Paul at camp.

I tend to agree, but the coaches love Paul and he gets better every year. Now, part of the reason he got the contract he did was due to ST's ability, so that doesn't mean much. But if he's a much better blocker than Reed, Reed could lose snaps to him. Reed should be flexed out more often than not anyways, but its not out of the question.

Rotoworld:

Rotoworld:

I tend to agree, but the coaches love Paul and he gets better every year. Now, part of the reason he got the contract he did was due to ST's ability, so that doesn't mean much. But if he's a much better blocker than Reed, Reed could lose snaps to him. Reed should be flexed out more often than not anyways, but its not out of the question.
Per PFF Reed has graded out considerably better than Paul as a run blocker for the past two seasons.

I did a lot of research on this over a month ago and read multiple items from several Redskins beat writers and none of them suggested Reed was not the starter. Honestly only place I've seen anyone keep suggesting it's a battle is Rotoworld.

Paul might be the Knile Davis of TE's in terms of handcuffs, quite likely the best handcuff TE in the NFL and an instant fantasy starter if/when Reed is out, at least in TE premium leagues. I'm surprised no one offered him a chance to start when he was a FA this off-season but the only way he starts over Reed is if Reeds health lets him down again-which if course is more likely than not to happen.

Rotoworld:

Redskins coach Jay Gruden "(feels) a difference" with Jordan Reed this summer.

Reed is finally 100 percent healthy, and Gruden believes he has "more confidence in his strength in regards to his blocking." Reed's pass-catching upside is through the roof, but he left something to be desired as a blocker last season. The return of Niles Paul has also dented Reed's 2015 fantasy appeal.

Source: Redskins on Twitter
Aug 3 - 2:56 PM

Reed is one of the few (of the many) "not-elite" Tes that I feel good about getting at his price. I think he can be had relatively cheap and could easily be an every week starter. Some guys just always seen to be snake-bitten with injury but at some point, he's got to go the Fred Taylor route and sacrifice a chicken or whatever and get on the good side of karma. IF he can stay healthy, he'll be a good play for the guys that don't have the elites (just as much upside as any of a number of other guys).

Users who are viewing this thread