What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh McDaniels - Lets give him a hand (1 Viewer)

We should have at least one page reserved for crow eaters.
:rant:Was there anyone that predicted this team was actually going to be good? Looks like they are though, good for Broncos fans.
I think he is talking about those who said it would be a 0-16 to 4-12 team guaranteed. Although it is true that even the most optimistic Broncos fans were predicting a 500 season.

:rant:
I agree.I have been doing FF for 21 years and I have been wrong about everything this year. I was a complete doomsayer when it came to my Broncos and I am currently 0-5 for the first time ever in my 20+ year old FF league.Dogs will mate with cats I tell ya....But if it takes being wrong for these results, I am happy to be a fool. :thumbup:

:jawdrop:Was there anyone that predicted this team was actually going to be good? Looks like they are though, good for Broncos fans.
Not many, not me.Love the team, glad to see it.It is funny that there are some that still don't think they are for real. Best D they have had in 30 years.

:jawdrop:Was there anyone that predicted this team was actually going to be good? Looks like they are though, good for Broncos fans.
Not many, not me.Love the team, glad to see it.It is funny that there are some that still don't think they are for real. Best D they have had in 30 years.
Still too early for me to make that call. Denver's had some serious defenses since 1977. Like 1989. Or, more recently, 2005.

I'm happy for the guy. He put in his time in NE and has a bright future. Hard to watch NE lose today but I didn't mind that much since it was to Josh.

:lmao: Was there anyone that predicted this team was actually going to be good? Looks like they are though, good for Broncos fans.
Not many, not me.Love the team, glad to see it.

It is funny that there are some that still don't think they are for real. Best D they have had in 30 years.
Still too early for me to make that call. Denver's had some serious defenses since 1977. Like 1989. Or, more recently, 2005.
The 2005 defense was unreal. This one looks better but it's a long season and it is very early. Champ is playing just about as well as he did back then, minus the INTs, which is a great sign. That year, I could almost say, "C'MON CHAMP!" and it'd happen. This year I'm shouting "C'MON D!" and it's happening. So far. I'm worried that we are fragile, and only an injury or two away from being less than mediocre.SSOG you are right that this D got away with murder today, but I'll take the Broncos "Patriots'ing the Patriots" any day.

I can not believe how this team turned things around from such a ridiculously messy offseason. I thought McD was a fool, but clearly he is doing something right. I'll just take my crow and go eat it.
Apparently I was wrong about this team. I've picked against the Broncos every week, and been wrong every time. Now I realize the problem is that I intensely dislike Josh McDaniels and the Broncos. So I really want them to be bad. I can't let the emotions get in the way of good sense. I'll try to pick them against the Chargers. As much as it pains me to say it, they apparently are better than I have given them credit for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to see some young coaches making an impact. As a man in my young 30s, I wish him nothing but the best. He has his #### togteher.

@ Indy (5-0) If Denver wins this one we can say they are for real.
Seriously? So the Broncos have to beat the Colts, or else they are not for real? What if they go 15-1, with that one loss being to the Colts? Are they not for real? Let's get real...they are 5-0, and three of their wins are against teams who are 10-5 (10-2 if you take away the losses to Denver). In fact, the three teams they have beaten have only collectively lost to Denver, the 3-1 Jets and the 5-0 Giants. I'd say they are for real, right here and now.
I thought the Giants bash would give away the sarcasm. Maybe I should have gone with SSOG's if the Colts lose to the Broncos then Peyton Manning is washed up.

Orton is 26-12 as a starter in his career. :D
Hence the source of the "Orton is a winner" and "all he does is win football games" schtick. :lmao:
In addition to giving the Broncos and McDaniels a ton of credit for an amazing start, how about we give Orton a bit of credit around here as well. While he's not a supremely talented QB, there has to be something to this guy, seems like a great fit for McDaniels offense. In addition to his career record did anyone notice his lifetime stats in the red zone? After his 2 TD's today I believe it is up to 27 TD's and 2 INT's lifetime inside the 20. Go Broncos! And to quote Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are." :lmao:

Regardless of what happens the rest of this game, this McDaniels guy is pretty good....
Regardless of what happens the rest of this game, that second challenge was the most brutal game-day decision I have seen in a long time.With that said, Cincy is now 4-1 and owns a victory over Pitt and a victory over Baltimore. Can we officially stop calling them a creampuff yet?
Yes. Color me impressed. Another CotY candidate there.

McDaniels deserves to be 1A, but let's also give due credit to 1B Mike Nolan (D Coordinator).

In 5 games, the Broncos have allowed a TOTAL of 7 points in the 2nd half. They are giving up an average of 1.4 points after halftime.

Stat of the year so far: Broncos opponents are a combined 2 for 30 on 3rd downs in the 2nd half.

I don't care about schedules, for real/not for real, or whatever. That's simply amazing.

Where do I sign up?I was one of the guys saying that 3-0 meant nothing because they hadn't played anyone. Well, not only have they beaten two above average opponents since, it looks like they beat an even better one in Cincinnati.Not knowing much about McDaniels, his hardball approach with Cutler and Marshall gave me teh impression that he was trying to be Bill Belichick Jr, a no-nonsense, no-fun, takes-himself-too-seriously, smug idiot.After watching the fist pumps yesterday, I actually am starting to like the guy. He acted like a kid out there, and it made him human, unlike his mentor.

My vote is Mike Nolan - DC of the season!!!

IMO Mike Nlan and they way he has molded this defense is what has made the Broco's good. Not taking away from McD and the offense that is much better than thought but the defense - which everyone thought would suck is doing great!

as for COTY -- McD is above anyone else right now and it isn't close. Caldwell is 2nd but a distant second right now.

I love the guy.

He knew Jay Cutler (although a great talent) was NOT the type of QB for his system. Too many INT's. So he traded him and got a ton of picks.

He knew Knowshon could be a special player and he took him, despite getting ridiculed for it.

He started the season in a hole, and pretty much everyone thought he would be fired within 2 years.

Now he's 5-0, just beat the Pats, and is fistpumping to the stadium. That was a very awesome moment.

Hats off to the guy for having the fortitude to do things his way, take the criticism and then make it work.

Done very well...and I loved the fistpumping moment.

Showed he had emotion, that it meant something to him and so on.

And he has shown he can coach...and big credit to Nolan for what they have done with that defense as well.

Some talk in NE about the handshake...I don't think Belichick cares and apparently they talked in the lockerroom.

The fist pump to me was kind of bush...act like you've been there before. That being written, good for him to show passion.

Some talk in NE about the handshake...I don't think Belichick cares and apparently they talked in the lockerroom.The fist pump to me was kind of bush...act like you've been there before. That being written, good for him to show passion.
I think that fist pump was the cumulative result of him harnessing a ton of different emotions going all the back to the offseason drama. This win was about vindication for McD in so many ways, and I think in that moment, all of that harnessed emotion came flooding out. Up to that point, he had been so reserved and, I don't want to say smug, but something like it. I think it was awesome and a well deserved moment of finally letting loose.

as for COTY -- McD is above anyone else right now and it isn't close. Caldwell is 2nd but a distant second right now.
I think Rex Ryan is 1a right now, with McDaniels being 1b. It is that close. Marvin Lewis is also in the discussion.
Is there a COTY for both the AFC and the NFC? I think until yesterday, Singletary was also in the discussion - and that's not to say he won't remain in the discussion, but he certainly took a big step backwards yesterday.

Agreed. I would still put Singletary top 5, but some of the shine came off of his star after that beatdown yesterday.

And, no, there is only one coach of the year award, not one for each conference.

Some talk in NE about the handshake...I don't think Belichick cares and apparently they talked in the lockerroom.The fist pump to me was kind of bush...act like you've been there before. That being written, good for him to show passion.
It looked to me like McDaniels and Belichick were looking for each other for the handshake, but couldn't find each other in the throng of reporters, and eventually Belichick just got impatient and went to the locker room.Nothing at all wrong with the fist pump, any more than it's wrong to celebrate and yell after scoring a game-winning TD. Football is an emotional game. That was a particularly emotional game, both because of how it played out on the field and because of all of the sub-text leading into it (both McDaniels' vindication and playing against his former team). I would rather have a coach for whom winning is an exciting and emotional experience than a coach for whom winning has lost its meaning and luster.
I think Rex Ryan is 1a right now, with McDaniels being 1b. It is that close. Marvin Lewis is also in the discussion.
We'll see how Ryan does tonight, but I'd say that Denver has exceeded expectations more than New York has to this point. Denver's already got more wins through 5 weeks than many people were predicting they'd have for the season. Vegas had Denver's O/U at 6.5, and they're already at 5 wins (the Jets O/U was 7, and the Jets only have 3 so far).My pick so far would be McDaniels or Marvin Lewis, whose team had the same O/U (6.5 wins), and whose team has essentially done exactly as well (both teams are undefeated except against each other, and we all know how that game finished).

Yep, gotta say I'm impressed by McDaniels thus far. I thought Dallas and NE would be tougher, but now I'm beginning to think Cincinnati was a tougher opponent for them than Dallas. His ability to weather the criticism over the Cutler trade and hold firm with Marshall deserves props.

It looked to me like McDaniels and Belichick were looking for each other for the handshake, but couldn't find each other in the throng of reporters, and eventually Belichick just got impatient and went to the locker room.Nothing at all wrong with the fist pump, any more than it's wrong to celebrate and yell after scoring a game-winning TD. Football is an emotional game. That was a particularly emotional game, both because of how it played out on the field and because of all of the sub-text leading into it (both McDaniels' vindication and playing against his former team). I would rather have a coach for whom winning is an exciting and emotional experience than a coach for whom winning has lost its meaning and luster.
We'll see how Ryan does tonight, but I'd say that Denver has exceeded expectations more than New York has to this point. Denver's already got more wins through 5 weeks than many people were predicting they'd have for the season. Vegas had Denver's O/U at 6.5, and they're already at 5 wins (the Jets O/U was 7, and the Jets only have 3 so far).My pick so far would be McDaniels or Marvin Lewis, whose team had the same O/U (6.5 wins), and whose team has essentially done exactly as well (both teams are undefeated except against each other, and we all know how that game finished).
I'm pretty sure Belicheck had one of his assistants stay out and tell Josh Bill looked for him and they would talk later.As Josh was walking almost into the tunnel one NE coach grabbed Josh and the mics picked up Bill ......... and you could hear Josh say something like no problem catch him in there .... or something like that. It was tough to make out but you could hear bits and pieces.It looked like they couldn't find each otehr so Josh assumed Bill already left so he celebrated some....

I'll be curious to see how the Bronco fans feel after they are 4-4. They aren't going to win any of the next four games. They are:

New England

@San Diego

@Baltimore

Pittsburgh

The Broncos are not a very good team. They got really lucky in week one. The Cowboys are not very good, and Oakland and Cleveland are horrible. But we will see if they are for real next week. And what I suspect is that they are a very average team. Nolan has improved the defense, but let's see how they do against the Patriots and then the Chargers.
THE BRONCOS HAVE NO CHANCE!!!Is Rex Ryan even in the coach of the year conversation anymore? I doubt it.

I'll be curious to see how the Bronco fans feel after they are 4-4. They aren't going to win any of the next four games. They are:

New England

@San Diego

@Baltimore

Pittsburgh

The Broncos are not a very good team. They got really lucky in week one. The Cowboys are not very good, and Oakland and Cleveland are horrible. But we will see if they are for real next week. And what I suspect is that they are a very average team. Nolan has improved the defense, but let's see how they do against the Patriots and then the Chargers.
THE BRONCOS HAVE NO CHANCE!!!Is Rex Ryan even in the coach of the year conversation anymore? I doubt it.
:lmao:

I can't tell you how impressed I am with what McDaniels has done. It's not just W/L record. He has got that whole team bought in 100%. D goes and out congrats O after a good series and vice versa. Inspired, enthusiastic hard nosed football. Overcame the Cutler debacle and has Marshall playing football. I honestly thought they would be a train wreck this year. Major, major props to McDaniels and his staff.

Is Rex Ryan even in the coach of the year conversation anymore? I doubt it.
He's a coach in New York, which means he's always in the conversation.
if **** Jauron outcoached a legit coach of the year candidate, I think people will want to change their votes in the "worst coach in the NFL" poll
you know as well as anyone that Buffalo doesn't count when people mention New York.
of course but that doesn't really have anything to do with my comment.

I honestly think McDaniels fleeced the Bears. Cutler is a bit of a headcase. So he had a very good season last year. He also had a ton of tools in Denver and a fantastic O-Line. He's not a superstar and he doesn't have the leadership fire. Bears overpaid BIGTIME. :thumbup:
;)

;)Was there anyone that predicted this team was actually going to be good? Looks like they are though, good for Broncos fans.
Sometimes you have to listen to the sharks :thumbup:
McDaniels is a Belichick guy. That's how they do things. Now he's sitting with a serviceable QB and 5 picks inside the first 85 picks and 2 first rounders next year. He tossed Cassel out there last year with an offense that had similar weapons and made him look like a star. He can't do that with Orton or Sanchez? Orton was beyond serviceable on a weak offense. So say they end up with Sanchez. They still have 2 more first rounders and a 3rd rounder to shore up the defense. I love this deal for the Broncos. Cutler may not only disappoint, he's going to demand huge dollars.

I will eat a huge dish of crow.

I'd like it with some BBQ sauce.

Two things stand out for me; his defense, with 8 new starters, turned Denver's defense around from one of the worst to one of the best. That's coaching.

Second, making use of Kyle Orton's skills to have him be a conservative QB who won't lose you games. Matching game planning to the talent; that's coaching.

Runaway coach of the year at this point.

I will eat a huge dish of crow.

I'd like it with some BBQ sauce.

Two things stand out for me; his defense, with 8 new starters, turned Denver's defense around from one of the worst to one of the best. That's coaching.

Second, making use of Kyle Orton's skills to have him be a conservative QB who won't lose you games. Matching game planning to the talent; that's coaching.

Runaway coach of the year at this point.
I gotta think Payton is up there as well though....

:unsure:Was there anyone that predicted this team was actually going to be good? Looks like they are though, good for Broncos fans.
Sometimes you have to listen to the sharks ;)
McDaniels is a Belichick guy. That's how they do things. Now he's sitting with a serviceable QB and 5 picks inside the first 85 picks and 2 first rounders next year. He tossed Cassel out there last year with an offense that had similar weapons and made him look like a star. He can't do that with Orton or Sanchez? Orton was beyond serviceable on a weak offense. So say they end up with Sanchez. They still have 2 more first rounders and a 3rd rounder to shore up the defense. I love this deal for the Broncos. Cutler may not only disappoint, he's going to demand huge dollars.
:tfp:

Users who are viewing this thread